No matter what happens from here on out, this was a terrific season... | The Boneyard

No matter what happens from here on out, this was a terrific season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And it's a great time to be a UCONN basketball fan.

At the start of the season, it seemed like most people thought we were a top 15-20 team with potential to be a top 10 team. I thought by the end of the season, a sweet 16 run was about our ceiling, and several people said that just making the sweet 16 would be a terrific accomplishment.

Well here we are - 28 wins later, 12-6 in our own league (after starting 0-2) with some ridiculous wins over some very good (Harvard) and ranked (Florida, Memphis, Cinci) teams. So, I agree - making the sweet 16 has been a terrific accomplishment and we all should be very proud of our team...

Our guys have really grown up a lot this year. We knew we'd be weak in the post. Well both Brimah and Nolan showed flashes of really good play, especially Brimah, and with Lubin coming in next year, and a season to get stronger for the other 2, I'd say the future is bright.

We were unsure if Daniels would be bolting to the NBA as a lottery pick after this season. Well I don't know what he will do, but while solid, he was not spectacular and I think he should be back. He had some really great games, but others where he was non existent. Still, no one knows what he's thinking and all we can do is enjoy him while we have him...

Kromah and Giffey were just terrific this year. No one knew what to expect from Kromah. I think he blew all of us away. Giffey played really well for Germany this past summer and clearly it carried over to his college game. Outstanding performances from both of them this season.

Boat was our 3rd leading scorer. Erratic at times, too much "Boat-show" with flash and sizzle, and not enough team play at times, but he's still a phenomenal athlete, great ball handler, and hopefully next season will be a terrific leader and decision maker.

T-Sam - where was he all year??? He averaged about 8 MPG and just under 2 PPG, and suddenly in the NCAA's, against 'Nova, he gets 21 minutes and scores 11 points. Not sure where that came from, but his energy and defense were also terrific, and he's something we haven't had in a while - a big, strong guard.

Not sure what to make of Facey - we were all so excited when he was ruled eligible to play, but he never really made an impact either at the 3 or 4 spot. Hard to do when Giffey and Daniels are ahead of you on the depth chart. But he did show flashes and I think he will be solid next year.

Next year, Cassell, Lubin and Hamilton (has he signed his LOI yet? I don't think he has...). Solid class. Plus we add Purvis. A great guard, a great wing, and a beefy forward.

Bottom line, there is really only one game that was just an awful loss this year - the Houston loss on New Year's Eve. Of course we all want more, but ultimately I think this team has achieved as much as anyone realistically thought, and even if we lose in the sweet 16, most all can agree it was not only a terrific year, but that the future is really bright.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No matter what happens? The stuff is posted now? We have a legit shot.
Right. Sure, great. Good season...yada yada...

But they CAN beat Iowa State. We're in a toss-up with an injured team to go to the Elite 8. And if they win that, Virginia and Michigan State would both be tough...but imagine how many more UConn fans there'd be for that game... and if they won, who are they playing, Florida? Been there, beat them. And for the title? Who knows. But I'd like our chances if we got that far.

So, I'm not happy or satisfied right now.

Reaction Score
If we took a pole of UConn fans at the start of the season most would have been happy with a sweet 16. We have seen players improve and develop over the course of the season. Samuel has emerged as a contributor, Giffey is rebounding and Daniels has been our X factor. Brimah will become more of a force on the offensive end as he gains more experience.
Facey doesn't appear to be ready at least basing it on PT but the kid is very athletic and he will be a good player for us down the line. In addition to an outstanding group of incoming players next season, I expect Omar to regain his confidence and his shot. There is no replacement for Bazz but this team has the talent to pick up the point difference by everyone getting just a little bit better.
During the Perno days what you saw as freshmen was pretty much what you saw as seniors. Few players really improved. This is no longer the case beginning with JC and now Ollie. This is a great time to be a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
We can do a full season-retrospective thread in a few weeks. How you look back on the season really depends on when you were making the evaluation.

Before the season started, most of us were expecting to be season-long top 10-15, competing for an AAC title, a top 3 seed, and a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 appearance.

Relative to those expectations, it's not unreasonable to assert that for the regular season, we slightly underachieved. We were never within two games of the AAC lead and spent most of January of February hoping we'd be in the rankings at all.

At the end of the regular season our expectations were reset. Most were just hoping for a decent showing in a true road game against Memphis in the AACT and hopefully a 6 seed with a draw favorable enough that a Sweet 16 would be possible.

And relative to those reset expectations, we've definitely overachieved in the postseason (despite being underseeded by 2 lines).

When you look at the whole package, I'd say we've come in around even so far. Not "terrific", not "disappointing", just "as expected for UConn basketball".

Reaction Score
So far, we've accomplished about what the average intelligent prognosticator would have expected. That does not make for a terrific season. Whether this is a terrific season or not will depend on what happens between now and Sunday night.

I thought coming in we could compete for a conference championship (we didn't) and a Final Four berth. Some of the pieces (Shabazz, Brimah, Kromah) have given me more than I thought we could get out of them and others (Daniels, Boatright) not quite as much. But Friday night is an absolutely winnable game, and while, if we win Friday, we will enter Sunday's game as a solid underdog I would expect a Sunday crowd to be wildly pro-UConn as the tickets from fans who go back to Iowa and either Michigan or Virginia are scooped up by those who will take the train in on Sunday.

The goal is the Final Four. Then talk to me about playing with house money.

Reaction Score
The goal is the Final Four. Then talk to me about playing with house money.

It's doable, as well.

Iowa State is tough and veteran...but they are injured and have never been this far, while we have National Champion vets.

Virginia is very good, but has gotten beat by a number of mediocre teams (Green Bay, Maryland). They're a slow-you-down team, and have solid offense...but when you keep the pace slow, you keep teams in it. And do you want to be in a close game with Shabazz Napier?

Everyone was picking MSU because they are hot...and they did look good througout the B1G tourney...but Harvard gave them a game, and they lost 4 of 6 games going into that tournament...and Harris played for all those games, and Dawson for two. They can be beaten. And, unlike other Michigan State teams, this one is not tournament tested. None of these kids have been to an Elite 8...so the bright lights of MSG and the road game atmosphere might affect them.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sorry guys. Didn't mean to imply that the season was over. Not sure why anyone would think that since I said that it has been a great season no matter what happens next. My point was that the team has achieved about the ceiling of what most realistic fans expected. Anything beyond this is above expectations. I was actually trying to make a positive post about what a terrific year it's been, and how bright the future looks. Never ceases to amaze me that some can find the dark cloud in what was supposed to be a really upbeat post...

And yeah, even if this is as far as we go, it would still be considered a terrific season. Would fans be disappointed? Of course. But sweet 16 given that we have one superstar (Napier), 4 solid contributors (Boat, Giff, Kromah and Daniels), but a rather glaring weakness in our frontcourt, in Ollie's 2nd season as a full HC is pretty terrific.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And it's a great time to be a UCONN basketball fan.

At the start of the season, it seemed like most people thought we were a top 15-20 team with potential to be a top 10 team. I thought by the end of the season, a sweet 16 run was about our ceiling, and several people said that just making the sweet 16 would be a terrific accomplishment.

Well here we are - 28 wins later, 12-6 in our own league (after starting 0-2) with some ridiculous wins over some very good (Harvard) and ranked (Florida, Memphis, Cinci) teams. So, I agree - making the sweet 16 has been a terrific accomplishment and we all should be very proud of our team...

Our guys have really grown up a lot this year. We knew we'd be weak in the post. Well both Brimah and Nolan showed flashes of really good play, especially Brimah, and with Lubin coming in next year, and a season to get stronger for the other 2, I'd say the future is bright.

We were unsure if Daniels would be bolting to the NBA as a lottery pick after this season. Well I don't know what he will do, but while solid, he was not spectacular and I think he should be back. He had some really great games, but others where he was non existent. Still, no one knows what he's thinking and all we can do is enjoy him while we have him...

Kromah and Giffey were just terrific this year. No one knew what to expect from Kromah. I think he blew all of us away. Giffey played really well for Germany this past summer and clearly it carried over to his college game. Outstanding performances from both of them this season.

Boat was our 3rd leading scorer. Erratic at times, too much "Boat-show" with flash and sizzle, and not enough team play at times, but he's still a phenomenal athlete, great ball handler, and hopefully next season will be a terrific leader and decision maker.

T-Sam - where was he all year??? He averaged about 8 MPG and just under 2 PPG, and suddenly in the NCAA's, against 'Nova, he gets 21 minutes and scores 11 points. Not sure where that came from, but his energy and defense were also terrific, and he's something we haven't had in a while - a big, strong guard.

Not sure what to make of Facey - we were all so excited when he was ruled eligible to play, but he never really made an impact either at the 3 or 4 spot. Hard to do when Giffey and Daniels are ahead of you on the depth chart. But he did show flashes and I think he will be solid next year.

Next year, Cassell, Lubin and Hamilton (has he signed his LOI yet? I don't think he has...). Solid class. Plus we add Purvis. A great guard, a great wing, and a beefy forward.

Bottom line, there is really only one game that was just an awful loss this year - the Houston loss on New Year's Eve. Ultimately I think this team has achieved as much as anyone realistically thought, and even if we lose in the sweet 16, most all can agree it was not only a terrific year, but that the future is really bright.

that's all well and good, but this season is like a great meal or a great ck, now that it's underway I'm really not going to be satisfied until I get more and more of it.

Reaction Score
I'm with you Eric. I'm happy and satisfied, do I want more? You bet. Saying only a F4 would satisfy you doesn't fly with me. So much could happen. The team has been thru a long and trying season. I'm really happy for those guys and as a fan couldn't be more proud. Throw the ball up Friday and see what happens.

Reaction Score
The OP is right, it's been a terrific season. The battleship UCONN Basketball is stable once again and the future looks bright and that bright future includes next weekend at MSG. If we get to the final 4 in year when our point guard is our leading rebounder and our front court averages 205 lbs it will be a minor miracle.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We're UConn. We don't settle for the Sweet 16, we win National Titles. April parade in Hartford or Bust.
Haha. I won't go quite that far. You have to judge every season in the proper context.

But I don't do that until months later. If the season ends in a loss, whether that's in the first round (2012) or the Final Four (2009), I'm upset and annoyed, and think they could have done better.

It's only after the year, as I start thinking about the upcoming season more specifically, that I can look back at, say, 1995 or 2009 and think about how successful those teams were.

D

Deleted member 3149

Haha. I won't go quite that far. You have to judge every season in the proper context.

But I don't do that until months later. If the season ends in a loss, whether that's in the first round (2012) or the Final Four (2009), I'm upset and annoyed, and think they could have done better.

It's only after the year, as I start thinking about the upcoming season more specifically, that I can look back at, say, 1995 or 2009 and think about how successful those teams were.

Fair enough! To your point, my favorite UConn team of all time was 2006 which ended up losing in the elite 8 to a team we shall not speak of. Success isn't always measured by titles, you're right. But Bazz definitely sees this year as title or bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom