No Lou this is exactly what we needed | The Boneyard

No Lou this is exactly what we needed

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A chance for everybody else to learn what they need to do. Not stand around and watch and wait for somebody to step up. Everybody needs to step up. If its to be its up to me is the attitude we need. Tonite we were thrown to the wolfes. Tonite we were exposed for our weaknesses. Tonite everybody who played was given a chance. Some watched, some stood around and waited for somebody else to step up. What they learned tonite is we have to be the one to step up. Tonite we found a new gear and that was in the second half. We missed a zillion layups and to many foul shots and we never let up and found a way to win. ONO was a force inside and kept USF out of the middle. UConns press changed the game. It was an 18+ turnaround without Lou and with to many missed layups and missed foul shots. But we found out who is willing to score and not stand around and not watch.

We needed this badly with the tourneys coming up. It was a learning experience. The first quarter was terrible. I ve never seen a UConn team play this poorly, but we needed it so we could see where we were and where we need to be. We found a way through all the mistakes to win. I like how we stepped up in the second half. We played hard through the mistakes and quick shots to win. We never let up.

We need to know when we need to stop shooting treys????????? We still havent learned that yet. We are to many times not getting set and just hoisting up treys because we're open for a minute. Another thing no pump fakes and getting opponents in the air and jumping into them and getting to the foul line. Coombs played great defense and her speed along with CD and CW is what made the press effective.

As far as the brackets. IMO ND will be in Chicago. Oregon will be in Portland UConn will be in Albany and Louisville will be in Greensboro. Baylor will also be in Oregon. I like Miss St in Greensboro too and MD in Albany. I didnt like seeing UConn as the 4th number 1 seed in Cremes brackets. UConn has 2 losses to 2 top teams. IMO its Baylor and Oregon in Portland, UConn and MD in Albany, Louisville and Miss St in Greensboro and ND and Stanford in Chicago. As good as some of these top teams are on paper theyve all been struggleing. UConn hasnt played up to their caliber but has won big. ND has looked really good. Baylor has won small to often. Oregon without injuries will be tuff.

When it comes to tournament time its good defense. Miss St has good defense. Oregon has balance. UConn tonite showed great defense. ND is a complete team and Louisville is a hard working unit.

So next week we have our conference tournaments and then the selections. Creme has Tenn in. There are alot of teams with 20+ wins that play in good conferences that have been winning late in the season. I think they have earned a spot. Tenn with 11 losses doesnt belong this season. This is a great time for basketball and I cant wait for next weekend.

Reaction Score
A chance for everybody else to learn what they need to do. Not stand around and watch and wait for somebody to step up. Everybody needs to step up. If its to be its up to me is the attitude we need. Tonite we were thrown to the wolfes. Tonite we were exposed for our weaknesses. Tonite everybody who played was given a chance. Some watched, some stood around and waited for somebody else to step up. What they learned tonite is we have to be the one to step up. Tonite we found a new gear and that was in the second half. We missed a zillion layups and to many foul shots and we never let up and found a way to win. ONO was a force inside and kept USF out of the middle. UConns press changed the game. It was an 18+ turnaround without Lou and with to many missed layups and missed foul shots. But we found out who is willing to score and not stand around and not watch.

We needed this badly with the tourneys coming up. It was a learning experience. The first quarter was terrible. I ve never seen a UConn team play this poorly, but we needed it so we could see where we were and where we need to be. We found a way through all the mistakes to win. I like how we stepped up in the second half. We played hard through the mistakes and quick shots to win. We never let up.

We need to know when we need to stop shooting treys????????? We still havent learned that yet. We are to many times not getting set and just hoisting up treys because we're open for a minute. Another thing no pump fakes and getting opponents in the air and jumping into them and getting to the foul line. Coombs played great defense and her speed along with CD and CW is what made the press effective.

As far as the brackets. IMO ND will be in Chicago. Oregon will be in Portland UConn will be in Albany and Louisville will be in Greensboro. Baylor will also be in Oregon. I like Miss St in Greensboro too and MD in Albany. I didnt like seeing UConn as the 4th number 1 seed in Cremes brackets. UConn has 2 losses to 2 top teams. IMO its Baylor and Oregon in Portland, UConn and MD in Albany, Louisville and Miss St in Greensboro and ND and Stanford in Chicago. As good as some of these top teams are on paper theyve all been struggleing. UConn hasnt played up to their caliber but has won big. ND has looked really good. Baylor has won small to often. Oregon without injuries will be tuff.

When it comes to tournament time its good defense. Miss St has good defense. Oregon has balance. UConn tonite showed great defense. ND is a complete team and Louisville is a hard working unit.

So next week we have our conference tournaments and then the selections. Creme has Tenn in. There are alot of teams with 20+ wins that play in good conferences that have been winning late in the season. I think they have earned a spot. Tenn with 11 losses doesnt belong this season. This is a great time for basketball and I cant wait for next weekend.
@Tonyc--I beg to differ! If CW, ONO, Walker, Coombs are standing around watching---who is responsible for that And WHO is the ONLY person that can fix it? GENO. The buck and the responsibility for performances and what they do or don't do begins and ends with GENO.
So, we have to assume what we see from this team on a continuing basis Geno accepts.
Now we all know more of this team must get involved with the scoring BUT--BUT -- But.
This team is drilled in practices to go to Collier, then KLS, then Danger. So, where does that leave ONO, Walker, CW?
We see Walker, rebounding, shooting the 3, attacking the basket, defending--that a lot of running for one who is STANDING around.
CW when the team needs 2 threes in a row or to attack the basket or defend the other team's top scorer--again when necessary not much standing.
ONO and Coombs are fair to midlin (I'd say midland but many don't know Texas) defenders---and moving all the time.
The issue as I see it is: Geno needs to put more emphasis on Walker and CW scoring during practices so the team realizes they have 6 options not 2. After the USF game I'm sure Geno and BY see that all teams realize the options Uconn uses as their go to and recently other teams have worked to take KLS and Collier out of the game. Just an opinion/observation.

Reaction Score
@Tonyc--I beg to differ! If CW, ONO, Walker, Coombs are standing around watching---who is responsible for that And WHO is the ONLY person that can fix it? GENO. The buck and the responsibility for performances and what they do or don't do begins and ends with GENO.
So, we have to assume what we see from this team on a continuing basis Geno accepts.
Now we all know more of this team must get involved with the scoring BUT--BUT -- But.
This team is drilled in practices to go to Collier, then KLS, then Danger. So, where does that leave ONO, Walker, CW?
We see Walker, rebounding, shooting the 3, attacking the basket, defending--that a lot of running for one who is STANDING around.
CW when the team needs 2 threes in a row or to attack the basket or defend the other team's top scorer--again when necessary not much standing.
ONO and Coombs are fair to midlin (I'd say midland but many don't know Texas) defenders---and moving all the time.
The issue as I see it is: Geno needs to put more emphasis on Walker and CW scoring during practices so the team realizes they have 6 options not 2. After the USF game I'm sure Geno and BY see that all teams realize the options Uconn uses as their go to and recently other teams have worked to take KLS and Collier out of the game. Just an opinion/observation.
Buck stops with Geno. Of course it does! Not sure I see it the way you do. I think Geno grooms all-around basketball players. You hear it from the players themselves. The offense is mostly a motion offense and I see continuous opportunities for all the players on the floor to contribute offensively. How else can you explain CW's game against ND? How can you explain Katie Lou's freshman year? How about Saniya's improvement?
Point is our players need to step up offensively. It's not about some failed system. Even the big-three need to step up. For example, Phees from outside, Crystal more mid-range and penetration versus 35 foot hoists, Katie Lou more post-ups.
My problem with Coach is that he is reluctant to commit to a press or presses. I don't think he can win a NC with this team playing half court basketball and our offensive shortcomings cause these crucial games to become half court. Even Miss St and ND the last two final fours. Pressing requires commitment. If you or any player is halfway committed, it breaks down. Last night, we had no choice and it brought us back into the game. Again, pressing has benefits other than turnovers: the pace of the game quickens. Kara mentioned it last night after a USF make. IMO we've got nothing to lose. Any of those 6 teams can beat us in a slugfest, we need to "use the whole ring".

Reaction Score
Mr. Tony: I don't think that I saw the same game as you last night. What I think I saw, was the team without Pheesa, that is going to be on the floor next year for UConn. I know that you are the optimist and that optimism makes me happy but this team as it is even with KLS has serious problems. What I liked: the scrappyiness of the four guards in pressing and disrupting the USF offense. And when ONO is turned on, she can be a defensive force. What I did not like: unreliable 3 point shooting; a lack of plays to get the ball to ONO and her not trying to score; a lack of passing the ball in trying to get the best shot; missing layups, and poor foul shooting. I have my own thoughts on coaching, but I admit that I am completely unqualified to make any comments whatsoever.

Even if UConn remains a number one seed in its area, I have serious doubts that when confronted by a team bringing its A game and the desire to knockoff UConn, that UConn will survive the contest. Even my wife was upset, which she does not become when watching the women, but feared next year with limited production to the recruit pipeline.

Reaction Score
Buck stops with Geno. Of course it does! Not sure I see it the way you do. I think Geno grooms all-around basketball players. You hear it from the players themselves. The offense is mostly a motion offense and I see continuous opportunities for all the players on the floor to contribute offensively. How else can you explain CW's game against ND? How can you explain Katie Lou's freshman year? How about Saniya's improvement?
Point is our players need to step up offensively. It's not about some failed system. Even the big-three need to step up. For example, Phees from outside, Crystal more mid-range and penetration versus 35 foot hoists, Katie Lou more post-ups.
My problem with Coach is that he is reluctant to commit to a press or presses. I don't think he can win a NC with this team playing half court basketball and our offensive shortcomings cause these crucial games to become half court. Even Miss St and ND the last two final fours. Pressing requires commitment. If you or any player is halfway committed, it breaks down. Last night, we had no choice and it brought us back into the game. Again, pressing has benefits other than turnovers: the pace of the game quickens. Kara mentioned it last night after a USF make. IMO we've got nothing to lose. Any of those 6 teams can beat us in a slugfest, we need to "use the whole ring".
As the Big Daddy, whom KLS said she feared as a Frosh, if they kids needs to be aggressive offensively it is Geno's job to get them to do that. He has many options to use to get that done. He can push for more offense from CW/ONO/Walker, etc during practices. If they fail to perform --he has sat them in the past, he can have special practices, he can as he did with AEH tell them shape up or ship out.
Expecting 17-19 year olds to see what has to be done and do it is expecting them to be mentally years beyond their years. Show, Teach, do (play), reward, punish has been teachers (coaches) options for 1000 years
As a parent if I expected my kids to do something: I'd tell them. If it wasn't done I'd be more forceful with my directions and demand it to be done. If they still refused: allowance and privileges were removed. After applying this with one, it was rarely required for others. Geno liked to compare his physical training to the Marines, whom he brought in a few times to assist with summer physical fitness, can you see a Boot Marine giving his DI a hard time when he didn't do as expected. Geno is the D.I. for this team.
CW as Danger as a Frosh (against Baylor) took over the ND game --first big game for both-they didn't know better and just played as they had in AAU and HS. Alone and with the ball they did what they had done--then the y found out the Geno system is systematic

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Let's see, Geno is standing on the sidelines, yelling at the players to do what they are supposed to be doing. I am guessing that he reminded them in every TO and at halftime. He benched Olivia in the first half to "explain" to her his thoughts on her efforts. He substituted in every player except Batouly and a few didn't really change anything.
Yup, it's all on Geno's inability to coach.Head bang :rolleyes:.

Reaction Score
Mr. Tony: I don't think that I saw the same game as you last night. What I think I saw, was the team without Pheesa, that is going to be on the floor next year for UConn. I know that you are the optimist and that optimism makes me happy but this team as it is even with KLS has serious problems. What I liked: the scrappyiness of the four guards in pressing and disrupting the USF offense. And when ONO is turned on, she can be a defensive force. What I did not like: unreliable 3 point shooting; a lack of plays to get the ball to ONO and her not trying to score; a lack of passing the ball in trying to get the best shot; missing layups, and poor foul shooting. I have my own thoughts on coaching, but I admit that I am completely unqualified to make any comments whatsoever.

Even if UConn remains a number one seed in its area, I have serious doubts that when confronted by a team bringing its A game and the desire to knockoff UConn, that UConn will survive the contest. Even my wife was upset, which she does not become when watching the women, but feared next year with limited production to the recruit pipeline.
I have this gut feeling that this could be Geno's last year. In the interview on ESPN last night, Geno looked old. I'm at a similar "wall" right now, so I know what it feels like. (61) I feel like Geno cares about his legacy a lot. I think he has experienced a lot of really warm, wonderful feelings these last few years, with the 4 championships in a row, the players coming back to celebrate, all the senior day celebrations, player testimonials, hall-of-fame, Rebecca, etc. He's young enough to be successful in something else. I'm thinking of retiring as a school teacher. so I can try something else. You can reach the point of no return. how many wins is enough? How many NC's?
Now: Can he leave after a championship, like John Wooden did?
I think he needs to channel his best Belichick and figure out the X's and O's that can get these kids a title. The program isn't going to get it for him. He's got to reach into his bag of tricks. (remember 9 of the 11 NC's were with DT, Maya, and Stewie. One with Lobo.)

Reaction Score
Midland - yeah, its up the road from Odessa , in the Permian.

Reaction Score
I said to my husband during the second quarter "They need to speed up the game, USF is looking gassed." Loved the way they game out in the second half. What was it? 9 turnovers in 11 possessions? They just need to do that without fouling.

Reaction Score
Agreed that the first quarter was miserable. Then our ladies won each of the final three quarters, showing the kind of grit and determination that inspires respect and love from their fans. I'm looking forward to Saturday, even if Lou is still present only in the huddle.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Yeah we got off to a terrible start and were down 8 and won by 10. Thats an 18 pt turn around. Not bad without Lou. As far as next season and everybodys worried. Hey we might not be any good next season, we just might loose alot of games and not make the NCAAs but Im thinking everybody gets better and we will be depending on our HS stars to carry us. I gotta wonder if Geno has somethin up his sleeve that we dont know about.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Combs looks to be getting more confident every game. She knows she brings tough D and energy but now she looks to be looking more to score. Liv is growing leaps and bounds. We still are a vulnerable team, but things are looking up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah we got off to a terrible start and were down 8 and won by 10. Thats an 18 pt turn around. Not bad without Lou. As far as next season and everybodys worried. Hey we might not be any good next season, we just might loose alot of games and not make the NCAAs but Im thinking everybody gets better and we will be depending on our HS stars to carry us. I gotta wonder if Geno has somethin up his sleeve that we dont know about.
I would not give up on next season so fast! This is a process that every team goes through on a yearly basis. For all you John Calipari fans (I like him), he has to press the restart button every year. What is poor Coach K going to do when Zion and the other frosh go one-and-done?
Not to mention, next year's UConn team that has 3 HS All-Americans on it plus Olivia.
Some teams actually improve when the stars graduate.
One more point: contrary to the opinion of some BY'ers regarding WCBB "parity", there are only 10-12 good teams in the USA, 6 that have a chance for the NC and 6 also-rans, like NC St, UMD, Oreg St, and Stanford.
Worst case scenario- top 10 and undefeated in the tough AAC. An upset and they're back in the Final 4. Woe is me.

Reaction Score
I would not give up on next season so fast! This is a process that every team goes through on a yearly basis. For all you John Calipari fans (I like him), he has to press the restart button every year. What is poor Coach K going to do when Zion and the other frosh go one-and-done?
Not to mention, next year's UConn team that has 3 HS All-Americans on it plus Olivia.
Some teams actually improve when the stars graduate.
One more point: contrary to the opinion of some BY'ers regarding WCBB "parity", there are only 10-12 good teams in the USA, 6 that have a chance for the NC and 6 also-rans, like NC St, UMD, Oreg St, and Stanford.
Worst case scenario- top 10 and undefeated in the tough AAC. An upset and they're back in the Final 4. Woe is me.
Soooo much with here that I agree with. Then there is a possibility Geno will pull a few tall rabbits out of his hats for next season. I agree that once the STARS are gone those sophs and Frosh will stand up to the plate and knock some out of the park. We have to remember todays stars were Frosh , almost seems like, yesterday and Geno ragged on them.

Reaction Score
Classmate from Ct. Was a FAA manager in MidLand. From his words it sounded like the back side of the moon with out the view.
It's the gateway to the Permian fields.

It's what's keeping your gasoline prices low.

You can judge how good or bad the oil drilling business is doing by how much the strippers and hookers are doing.

Reaction Score
My problem with Coach is that he is reluctant to commit to a press or prx become half court. Even Miss St and ND the last two final fours. Pressing requires commitment. If you or any player is halfway committed, it breaks down. Last night, we had no choice and it brought us back into the game. Again, pressing has benefits other than turnovers: the pace of the game quickens. Kara mentioned it last night after a USF make. IMO we've got nothing to lose. Any of those 6 teams can beat us in a slugfest, we need to "use the whole ring".
As a cherry picker I pluck this one comment to comment on: (Paraphrasing) I don't think this team will go far in the NC playing half court offense. That is true. Geno knows it true. This team's bread and butter is two fold 1. Defense that causes turnover 2. fastbreak points. When that is happening Uconn is running away with games. Uconn has good defense from nearly 9 players . The press is hard to maintain with only 7. To press only momentary help but to do it for a full quarter or more requires a BENCH that is defense motivated. Just a thought

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I have this gut feeling that this could be Geno's last year.

That escalated quickly.

I think when it’s Geno’s time to move on (assuming it isn’t because of something tragic), his successor will be groomed — hopefully with better results than the Pat to Holly transition.

He always looks tired this time of year, and rightfully so. Things will be okay. The team will be okay.

Reaction Score
It's the gateway to the Permian fields.

It's what's keeping your gasoline prices low.

You can judge how good or bad the oil drilling business is doing by how much the strippers and hookers are doing.
Lived in OKla when the oil prices were good and went bust. At bust no one in OKLA could sell their house for the price paid--many owed more than twice the mortgage on the house. I bought when prices were low and sold when they skyrocked in Garth Brooks home town. What kind of rugs were they hooking? The paint on my house paint is pealing; we sure could use a stripper.

Reaction Score
That escalated quickly.

I think when it’s Geno’s time to move on (assuming it isn’t because of something tragic), his successor will be groomed — hopefully with better results than the Pat to Holly transition.

He always looks tired this time of year, and rightfully so. Things will be okay. The team will be okay.
I think things are ok too. "If it was easy, anyone could do it".
I gave other reasons for my opinion too. For me, at 61 and still in really good shape, should I continue to wrestle with 12 year olds, or could I find another avenue, a bit easier that would motivate and inspire me in a different way, maybe with more time for golf, travel, hiking, etc. I think he's thinking the same thing.

Reaction Score
That escalated quickly.

I don’t that that immediate sense, but he is on the backside of it like the rest of us.

I see Kobe or Pitino.

Both could correct that deficit in the Athletics budget —- both in different ways. :D:D

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Classmate from Ct. Was a FAA manager in MidLand. From his words it sounded like the back side of the moon with out the view.

Ah yes, west Texas...the Delaware Basin in the Permian field, benchmark prices for 40 gravity weight west Texas intermediate crude oil, and a treeless moonscape. There's even a place called No Trees. When driving at night, all you see off in the distance are constantly burning gas flares from hundreds of wells. It looks really eerie, like you've entered your own personal twilight zone. Midland is white collar. Odessa is a blue collar, roughneck laden town, two towns 20 miles apart that couldn't be more different.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I think things are ok too. "If it was easy, anyone could do it".
I gave other reasons for my opinion too. For me, at 61 and still in really good shape, should I continue to wrestle with 12 year olds, or could I find another avenue, a bit easier that would motivate and inspire me in a different way, maybe with more time for golf, travel, hiking, etc. I think he's thinking the same thing.

As someone else in education, I 100% get your perspective. When it’s time to go, it’s time. But this would be like Ron Clark waking up one morning and deciding he’s done.

I just don’t think when it comes time for Geno to retire, it’ll be without notice and without grooming his replacement. Like many others have said, perhaps ad nauseam, I think he and CD go out together, but I don’t see Shea taking over the program (or maybe that’s exactly what’s happening and we’re all being duped). :oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom