No killer instinct | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No killer instinct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This team has the talent, no doubt. They have the players, no doubt. They lack the end of the game knowledge and awareness. Missed layup by Tuck, Technical on Geno, missed free throws, untimely TOs and fouls. Clean up the loose ends, play smart and with a purpose, and this team can compete with anyone. I think this game, the way the gave it away time after time, will be enough motivation to push this team this postseason. Unfortunate loss that this team clearly gave away tonight.

Losing to ND by 1 point and in 3OT and to Baylor by 6 doesn't mean anything. Any of those games could have gone any way. Uconn is not dead for the season. They could just be the silent sleeper.

Reaction Score
No, several of Dolson's fouls were BS calls by the ref. Like getting punched in the throat
Yes that was a bad call.
But her first foul was dumb. A player got past her and she came from behind, a move that has a High probability of a foul unless you're maya Moore or Griner.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
No way. Absolutely no way.

nd was 0-10 from 3. Had kml not played bad defense, we probably win.

If we fouled up 3 the game would have been over. This isn't any 1 players fault, to blame it on KML is ridiculous. She was the one, along with Kelly, who scored when we needed it

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Some of these guys (myself included) post more on the men's side. The comments might be harsh, but are basically accurate. It's more than a lack of mental toughness - it's one dumb decision after another by players in big moments.

If Geno is famous for saying he treats the players the same way he would (regardless of sex), then he ought to bench about half the team. It's easy to praise the team and say how good they look in blowouts, but the turnovers, missed FT's, and bad decisions by the players throughout the game was mind boggling.

Having said that, it was a hard fought game against a team who is just better. UCONN is clearly not one of the 2 best teams in the nation.

I disagree. They hung with ND the entire game, in fact led most of the way. If they were not one of the best teams, this ND team would have left them in the dust. This was not a blow-out win by any means.

The game was lost at the free throw line in OT.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
No way. Absolutely no way.

nd was 0-10 from 3. Had kml not played bad defense, we probably win.

Kaleena was getting mauled all over the court.

We lost at the free throw line in OT. Period.

Reaction Score
Losing to ND by 1 point and in 3OT and to Baylor by 6 doesn't mean anything. Any of those games could have gone any way. Uconn is not dead for the season. They could just be the silent sleeper.

Or a habit of losing close games and failing in the clutch is actually reflecting a lack of toughness and leadership.

I wish it were just a statistical fluke, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Reaction Score
I disagree. They hung with ND the entire game, in fact led most of the way. If they were not one of the best teams, this ND team would have left them in the dust. This was not a blow-out win by any means.

The game was lost at the free throw line in OT.

Hang with ND, huh?

Everyone on this board though it was going to be "Baylor and UConn and everyone else". I don't recall anyone on this board thinking ND would be better than us. And for good reason, they lost 4 starters. We brought back 4 and added the #1 class.

The reason ND is better than us is because Skylar's supporting cast flat out out worked UConn's entire team in the preseason it appears. When more than half of UConn's team is not playing up to their personal expectations pardon me if I am not exactly doing a jig that we are "hanging" with them. We should be beating them.

Reaction Score
I think they win in Hartford, final four is a toss up, it's looking like the exact same setup as last year: Baylor-Stanford as #1s on one side and ND-UConn as #1s on the other. The law of averages says UConn should win in the FF, but this rivalry defies averages and logic at points. ND has their number and will as long as Skylar Diggins is there.

Look, I love UConn basketball, and I think this is a great group of girls, but they don't have a leader. Is it Kelly? She's more of a "follow my actions" leader rather than a vocal one. Stef may be the vocal leader, but she's not a floor general. Bria is having a tough year, I think if things had gone differently she would have been both the vocal leader and floor general. Kaleena still goes quiet and seems to defer to the upperclassmen in big games. Caroline just doesn't have the strength, shot, or ability to really lead this team by example after all of her injuries.

I'm going to say something unpopular, but I think this team is going to be better without Caroline and Kelly. Kelly may be one of my favorite players ever and you can't help but root for Caroline after everything, but I think their "leadership" has hurt more during games. We need someone to take ownership of this team; I thought it would be Bria, but she's had a down year. I think Kaleena needs to take over this team next year, but feels like she needs to defer to the seniors this year. I think Kelly has been a great influence on Kaleena, but I think without Kelly there, Kaleena will see that she needs to step up and be the leader and will carry this team on her back.

Ok, rant over. I really like this group, but I think they are missing a key piece to the puzzle and will have a tough time winning it all this year.

Reaction Score
Geno and the coaches clearly have a job to do to get this team over the hump, in crunch time against teams that are equal to them in talent. ND for one and Baylor for another.

Does anyone foresee a let down or loss of confidence after this loss? I don't think that will happen; not because it isn't possible, but rather because Geno can coach them through this and cause them to learn from this experience.

They lacked killer instinct in this game, as I've said before.

I think they'll have that skill from this point forward.

I like our chances for cutting down nets in April.

Reaction Score
If we fouled up 3 the game would have been over. This isn't any 1 players fault, to blame it on KML is ridiculous. She was the one, along with Kelly, who scored when we needed it

Did I blame the loss on KML? No of course not. I was the first person on this board to start a thread saying KML should be first team AA. And I stand by that.
But did she mess up on that particular play? Yes, definitely.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Far too many turnovers throughout the game.

Catastrophic free throw shooting in OT. Not only did they miss them but missed on the front end of one-and-ones. A killer stat.

McBride was simply sensational. So ND won tonight when she (normally not a good 3-point shooter) made the biggest shot of the game to prevent an ND loss. At Gampel, KML (a superb 3-point shooter) missed one at game's end to enable an ND win. Two games, two perimeter shots, one missed, one made.

I am of course ignoring 95 minutes of play over both games, but those two shots will be permanently etched on the minds of UConn fans like me.

We get another shot in Hartford. I still have faith.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Hang with ND, huh?

Everyone on this board though it was going to be "Baylor and UConn and everyone else". I don't recall anyone on this board thinking ND would be better than us. And for good reason, they lost 4 starters. We brought back 4 and added the #1 class.

The reason ND is better than us is because Skylar's supporting cast flat out out worked UConn's entire team in the preseason it appears. When more than half of UConn's team is not playing up to their personal expectations pardon me if I am not exactly doing a jig that we are "hanging" with them. We should be beating them.

I don't disagree whether we should be beating them. I believe we should be. And at the beginning of the year, losing 4 starters caused folks to take ND out of the conversation to which ND disproved. Folks were crowing about our freshmen class, and expectation were high.

My observation is that folks who are disappointed do not handle their disappointment very well.

Yes, we hung with ND. Yes we lost. It could have gone either way, and it didnt go UConn's way. But I am not going to dump on a team just because they lost a hard fought, very close game.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Geesh..We have to patch up the cracks in the woodwork around here. Why didn't you folks come around with the advice and fixes before the game instead of after?

Lurkers on the women's board coming out these evening...not even a full moon

Reaction Score
UConn unquestionably should have fouled up 3 in overtime.

How many different ways could that have gone wrong? Foul while ND is hoisting up a three - even from 3/4 court? Three ft for ND - tying the game if they make all three.

ND makes the front end, misses the backend but gets the rebound and put back? Tied game again.

ND makes the front end, misses the backend but gets the rebound kicks it out for a three which goes in - ND wins.

I think you play the percentages. Make ND bring the ball up court, perhaps get a turnover, or force them to take a three and hope it is well defended. ND hadn't hit a three until that shot. I have no arguments with Geno's decision here.

Reaction Score
Yes that was a bad call.
But her first foul was dumb. A player got past her and she came from behind, a move that has a High probability of a foul unless you're maya Moore or Griner.

Her 4th foul was also dumb. Diggins comes into the lane on a break. Youve got 3 fouls -- let her make the damn layup! But no she goes after her, they bump, and she gets the foul.

Or if you're going to foul diggins, at least make her feel it.

Reaction Score
Far too many turnovers throughout the game.

Catastrophic free throw shooting in OT. Not only did they miss them but missed on the front end of one-and-ones. A killer stat.

McBride was simply sensational. So ND won tonight when she (normally not a good 3-point shooter) made the biggest shot of the game to prevent an ND loss. At Gampel, KML (a superb 3-point shooter) missed one at game's end to enable an ND win. Two games, two perimeter shots, one missed, one made.

I am of course ignoring 95 minutes of play over both games, but those two shots will be permanently etched on the minds of UConn fans like me.

We get another shot in Hartford. I still have faith.

Well said Kibitzer.

You just can’t turn the ball over 34 times. That’s 34 possessions that you didn’t even get a shot off at your basket, and 34 extra possessions that gave ND a potential shot at their basket.

You just can’t miss the front end of one-and-ones in crunch time.

You just can’t allow an opposing player to take the ball from end to end and score a layup…..whatever happened to the basic basketball premise “STOP THE BALL”.

And yes, McBride was sensational….....again! (once she got going)……..2nd time this season she’s been a “UConn Killer”.

We probably do get another shot in Hartford…..it would be good for the team, in a lot of ways, to come away with a W!

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Bottom line. ND has 2 players that play fearlessly and, are their main scorers. We have one, Kelly, who is the 3rd or 4th option. Until someone else grows a pair (I know, bad analogy for the women's game, but you get where I'm going), we won't win tight games against any of the other top 4 teams. If we can get it going and build a 10-14 pt. lead, I think we could beat anybody because they would relax a bit.

It's much easier bombing 3's when you know you'll win by 30 no matter what happens that posesssion. When it's a tight game, not so easy. It's going to take Bria to step up to last years level or Brianna to play to her potential to beat Baylor, ND or Stanford.

Reaction Score
Bottom line. ND has 2 players that play fearlessly and, are their main scorers. We have one, Kelly, who is the 3rd or 4th option. Until someone else grows a pair (I know, bad analogy for the women's game, but you get where I'm going), we won't win tight games against any of the other top 4 teams. If we can get it going and build a 10-14 pt. lead, I think we could beat anybody because they would relax a bit.

It's much easier bombing 3's when you know you'll win by 30 no matter what happens that posesssion. When it's a tight game, not so easy. It's going to take Bria to step up to last years level or Brianna to play to her potential to beat Baylor, ND or Stanford.
One quibble....Brianna is out for the remainder of the season with a torn ACL. Breanna, on the other hand has had her moments. Now is the time she needs to step up her game. From a physical, mental, and confidence level, I am not sure she is there yet.

I think the problem with this team is they are trying to do too much. Instead of each of them relaxing and playing to their strengths, when thing start to get tight, they try to do too much that isn't natural for their games: try to force passes that aren't there leading to turnovers and charges, hesitating to take shots that should just flow naturally, or taking shots that are not "their shots".

I have not written off the post-season. They have games left to play. Honestly, while I think UConn CAN win the National Championship, I don't think they do without their upcoming opponents playing less then their best. And as long as Brittany Griner is on the court for Baylor, I think it is theirs to lose.

Reaction Score
Well said Kibitzer.

You just can’t turn the ball over 34 times. That’s 34 possessions that you didn’t even get a shot off at your basket, and 34 extra possessions that gave ND a potential shot at their basket.

You just can’t miss the front end of one-and-ones in crunch time.

You just can’t allow an opposing player to take the ball from end to end and score a layup…..whatever

happened to the basic basketball premise “STOP THE BALL”.

And yes, McBride was sensational….....again! (once she got going)……..2nd time this season she’s been a “UConn Killer”.

We probably do get another shot in Hartford…..it
would be good for the team, in a lot of ways, to come away with a W!

That just about covers it. The fact they use to win these games up til a couple of years ago means little now. Use to be that even the elite teams feared UConn, not now.

Reaction Score
Geno and the coaches clearly have a job to do to get this team over the hump, in crunch time against teams that are equal to them in talent. ND for one and Baylor for another.

Does anyone foresee a let down or loss of confidence after this loss? I don't think that will happen; not because it isn't possible, but rather because Geno can coach them through this and cause them to learn from this experience.

They lacked killer instinct in this game, as I've said before.

I think they'll have that skill from this point forward.

I like our chances for cutting down nets in April.

Why?? they were beaten by ND t home beaten on the road lost to Baylor at home. Were up twice by a decent margin in OT 1-2 and gave it away. Notre Dame got ahead in OT 3 and put the pedal to the metal. Where is your justification in thinking they will ever beat ND. Muffet McGraw is turning into a terrific coach. face it.

Reaction Score
One quibble....Brianna is out for the remainder of the season with a torn ACL. Breanna, on the other hand has had her moments. Now is the time she needs to step up her game. From a physical, mental, and confidence level, I am not sure she is there yet.

I think the problem with this team is they are trying to do too much. Instead of each of them relaxing and playing to their strengths, when thing start to get tight, they try to do too much that isn't natural for their games: try to force passes that aren't there leading to turnovers and charges, hesitating to take shots that should just flow naturally, or taking shots that are not "their shots".

I have not written off the post-season. They have games left to play. Honestly, while I think UConn CAN win the National Championship, I don't think they do without their upcoming opponents playing less then their best. And as long as Brittany Griner is on the court for Baylor, I think it is theirs to lose.

The loss of Brianna Banks has definitely been a detriment to the team. they don't have any one to spell the guards for some rest except for Moriah, and she is too raw still.

Reaction Score
Muffet McGraw is turning into a terrific coach. face it.

I've definitely noticed that Muffet has become a much more effective coach, especially as a recruiter and for in-game adjustments, since about exactly the time she added Niele Ivey as an assistant coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom