No Gilbert, no Cobb, no Larrier and Adams shows up 35 minutes late | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No Gilbert, no Cobb, no Larrier and Adams shows up 35 minutes late

Reaction Score
I personally like to see the glass half full so I can get with the idea behind this thread. I'm frustrated with Ollie, and the players, but OP is right about gutting out the win with limited players.

Is Ollie to blame for AG, Larrier and Adams shaky play? Or do the players take the blame for not putting in the work? Or is there blame to share? Thats a matter of opinion and obviously we all here have them. However, there is still time to turn things around. If Adams and Larrier particularly can get it together and play a whole game then we wont be in these situations and our season can turn around. Now you can blame Ollie or the players for their slow starts... I personally think Jalen Adams looks uninspired (could be blamed on him or Ollie), he wakes up when he feels there is urgency to make plays and he looks awesome, but he's not playing 40 minutes of basketball. Larrier dribbles too much and doesnt have the skill set to do some of what he is trying to do (Ollie to blame?). Also only lives on his post up and fade away jumper and hoisting threes that are sometimes lucky to find the backboard. I see TL as more of a slasher he could really benefit from a pass first pg type creating for him, and i see him thriving in fastbreaks which we cant seem to get going (I def blame Ollie for that).

Either way, I hope these guys snap out of it. Learn to give the right effort, and play the right way and the game will become fun for them. Right now it looks like a job. Its like the players are afraid of what happened last year happening again, they are playing scared and uninspired. Blame whomever you choose but there is still time to right this ship imo.

Reaction Score
Down 4 starters, the Huskies gutted out a win. Thankfully Vital showed up today
Does Larrier have the flu or something? He looked a tad bit out of it last night
And Jalen, please play hard for all 40 minutes, this team can't win without you giving it your all. If you played the first 35 liked you played the last 10, this game would not have been so competitive
How we were down 4 starters? Gilbert was the only starter out, I hardly classify Cobb as a "starter" at this point.....can't make excuses for Larrier or Jalen playing underwhelming. I would get used to being undermanned with AG & TL & whoever dealing with issues. They gutted out a win against Columbia and Vital & Diarra played well but it's all relative considering opponent.

It's going to be a tough road this year unless the frontcourt can give us solid play & minutes so we can limit TL, AG to under 30 minutes per game and nobody over 35 minutes. It's just too much wear & tear on these guards & TL to have play all over the floor all these minutes against good teams.

Reaction Score
Gilbert might be a fine player but he seems like he is made of fine china. Not sure we can really count on him consistently this year. Sometimes there are guys like that. He was “damaged goods” when he got here and continues to be limited physically.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Seems like there are always some excuse for the chronic inconsistency of Ollie’s
‘s teams. Guys missing or inexperienced shouldn’t be an explanation for lack of consistency on D. Or rebounding energy. Or lack of an offensive scheme.
Amen

Reaction Score
You guys forget some of the bad from the past like it never happens here. 2006-07 season (Thabeet and all the other new guys) g0 11-0 to start season with some "kills" of "bad" teams. Then WVU showed what we really had and UConn lost 14 of last 20 games and finished 17-14.
That 2007 team had some of the "wish current players were more like" guys like Stanley R, Jeff A, Dyson, Price who weren't necessarily as good as they would eventually be.
I'm still expecting an NCAA year. See more similarities to 2014 team than 2007 team.

Reaction Score
Maybe we’re looking at this the wrong way?

Why would Adams and Larrier give 110% to a coach who appears to be giving 75%?

Because they are basketball players with the next level on their mind? I didn't get to watch much of the game the other night was in meetings in Clifton Park and the bar was not interested in putting it on, but I did sneak up to my room for about 10-15. Terry got beat 3 times back door, once the pass was deflected fortunately for him. Jalen made a good play and looked great then made a bad play and limped back, hate that. Sorry we need a lot more effort and brains from both of those guys. Hopefully I get to see the game tonight although may just fast forward tot he last few minutes and OT.

Reaction Score
Because they are basketball players with the next level on their mind? I didn't get to watch much of the game the other night was in meetings in Clifton Park and the bar was not interested in putting it on, but I did sneak up to my room for about 10-15. Terry got beat 3 times back door, once the pass was deflected fortunately for him. Jalen made a good play and looked great then made a bad play and limped back, hate that. Sorry we need a lot more effort and brains from both of those guys. Hopefully I get to see the game tonight although may just fast forward tot he last few minutes and OT.

mauconnfan, try to catch the last ten minutes of regular action to get an idea of what Mamadou contributed to the comeback. It was BIG! After MD fouled out, it was Jason, playing with a rolled ankle, who took charge, penetrating and dishing out, along with CV and AA who made clutch shots and Polley who was active on defense. TL deserves credit for hitting the boards (14 rebounds) on a night when not much was falling for him.

Reaction Score

Agree Mau. So far it looks like Jalen isn't serious about honing his game. And TL hasn't figured out that there are 4 other teamates on the floor with him when he gets the ball. And when the other has team has the ball he is supposed to help stop them from scoring.

Reaction Score
Who on here has the inside scoop about the health of Cobb n AG , better yet who on here has the trainer on speed dial lol

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
... but OP is right about gutting out the win with limited players.

"Gutting out" a win against Columbia? Like Mr. Hand, I'm convinced you guys are all on dope.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agree Mau. So far it looks like Jalen isn't serious about honing his game. And TL hasn't figured out that there are 4 other teamates on the floor with him when he gets the ball. And when the other has team has the ball he is supposed to help stop them from scoring.

In NBA parlance, Jalen currently is a one, maybe two head coach player. He would get one, possibly two head coaches fired.

Reaction Score
"Gutting out" a win against Columbia? Like Mr. Hand, I'm convinced you guys are all on dope.

Right, Columbia is now a 1-5 Ivy and therefore must suck. This kind of assessment (and you aren't the only one) is just laziness. Columbia has played six straight road games, three of them against Villanova, Penn State and UConn. They lost by 14 at Villanova, 7 at Colgate. What has UConn done to suggest they would do any better? Do you recall the UConn-Colgate game? Point is that this UConn team, Wednesday night, (particularly with six players either sitting injured or playing injured) was not 20 or 30 or 40 points better then Columbia. If that is your point, you're right. But if your point is that the UConn victory was not "gutted out", you're dead wrong. UConn rallied from 15 points behind, physically hurting, against a disciplined team that smelled victory and battled them every inch of the way. Kudos for the effort and, yes, for the guts.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yes and some people's families have been decimated by cancer, or divorce, or drug abuse, or alcoholism... Does that mean all of these things should be off limits in joking around, making light of a situation? NO

I'm sorry you know someone who suffered from depression and committed suicide, don't expect your experiences to govern a message board full of people with their own experiences.

Whatever happened to "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Maybe we’re looking at this the wrong way?

Why would Adams and Larrier give 110% to a coach who appears to be giving 75%?

No man, you give all you got on the court, even if your coach is a bum. Not saying Ollie is that, just in general.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I would like to see them put in some motion offense where someone sets a screen for Larrier so he can get at least 4-5 open looks a game from the free throw area. JC used to run those curls for Rip and he’d have wide open catch and shoot opportunities, but Larrier would have to work for it. Often times UConn would run 3-4 curl plays for Rip on one possession before they got the look they wanted.

I've been on board with this for a while. Larrier doesn't seem to be that great at creating his own shot outside of the DD fade away. Not much handle either. He's a good spot up shooter when he has a look, especially from mid range. Treating him like Rip-light would do a world of good for the spacing on offense and his confidence.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If it’s and buts we’re candied nuts we’d all have a hell of a Christmas.

If my aunt was a man she’d be my uncle.

If we lost to Arkansas by 10 nobody would be this upset.

Well people use the "if Brimah didn't hit the and-1, they'd have been bounced first round" all the time. And expect it to be accepted as a valid point. I wouldn't be surprised if you've done the same. It's a stupid argument, as you say.

Reaction Score
We need Cobb back for Saturday to get the rust off for cuse. Then Carlton and diarra are the next ones off the bench. Anderson still drives me crazy with his one on ones and jacking threes

Is Cobb okay?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
No man, you give all you got on the court, even if your coach is a bum. Not saying Ollie is that, just in general.
I agree but that’s not reality.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Speaking of the 06-07 team, in all seriousness, what kind of minutes do you think Dove and Eaves would've had on this years team?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom