No Full Contact High School Football in CT this year... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No Full Contact High School Football in CT this year...

Reaction Score
This is why I didnt like Uconn canceling their season because it sets a bad precedent to cancel, cancel, cancel. Yes Uconn could benefit from not having a season but its not good if you want basketball to be played this year. People say Randy Edsall is courageous I disagree its the exact opposite its cowardice and caving to Lamont. Its a losers mentality.

Reaction Score
They should protest.
I don’t get what the logic is in no football but other sports such as soccer.

i am in Farmington. Just play a 6-game season and don’t have any playoffs or state championships. They can play Avon, Bristol Eastern, Bristol Central, Conard, Hall, New Britain.maybe St. Paul and NWC too if you want 8 games.

at a minimum, play every other week. Everyone ends the season on Thanksgiving Day. No need for playoffs.

Everyone ends the season on Thanksgiving Day. No need for playoffs.

Reaction Score
The other thing, and this annoying to me because football people are always the loudest, there is no band going on. no drama and plays, no signing groups.

Those are very important to high schools too.

Reaction Score
I don’t get what the logic is in no football but other sports such as soccer.

i am in Farmington. Just play a 6-game season and don’t have any playoffs or state championships. They can play Avon, Bristol Eastern, Bristol Central, Conard, Hall, New Britain.maybe St. Paul and NWC too if you want 8 games.

at a minimum, play every other week. Everyone ends the season on Thanksgiving Day. No need for playoffs.

Everyone ends the season on Thanksgiving Day. No need for playoffs.

You gotta have the playoffs but some football is better then nothing.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Connecticut could do without a playoff but get these players some college looks as it might be the only way some can afford to going to college

I hope they reverse but I don't have much hope of that in this state

Reaction Score
Connecticut could do without a playoff but get these players some college looks as it might be the only way some can afford to going to college

I hope they reverse but I don't have much hope of that in this state

it just seems they are singling our football. I thin state playoffs would be a disaster
Logistically. But, you can play local games. They should still play Thanksgiving games.

Reaction Score
This is why I didnt like Uconn canceling their season because it sets a bad precedent to cancel, cancel, cancel. Yes Uconn could benefit from not having a season but its not good if you want basketball to be played this year. People say Randy Edsall is courageous I disagree its the exact opposite its cowardice and caving to Lamont. Its a losers mentality.

Blaming Edsall for the cancellation is asinine. Sorry, it just is.

You didn't notice all of our best games being cancelled by our opponents? You haven't figured out yet that UCONN will probably lose less money by cancelling? I wanted football as much as anybody but it would have been a garbage short season schedule with no fans. We're better off just keeping our seniors, red-shirting the entire squad (which should benefit us the next three seasons) and waiting until next year. I highly doubt it was Randy's call anyway, the 14 day quarantine mandate made the season impossible. Randy actually seems to have done a very good job of getting the team to buy in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
it just seems they are singling our football. I thin state playoffs would be a disaster
Logistically. But, you can play local games. They should still play Thanksgiving games.

At the risk of being a 'conspiracy nut' I seem to remember a growing movement to end football in CT high schools, and UConn because it was dangerous to play well before Covid. Using the current health panic as a point of leverage to achieve that goal should not come as a surprise.

Reaction Score
At the risk of being a 'conspiracy nut' I seem to remember a growing movement to end football in CT high schools, and UConn because it was dangerous to play well before Covid. Using the current health panic as a point of leverage to achieve that goal should not come as a surprise.
Never heard this. An organized effort?

Reaction Score
Anyone on this board have middle school kids? Any word on middle school sports in your town? Radio silence from my town.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I like living in one of just 4 states meeting basic criteria to reopen and stay safe. I like how the lunkheads aren't in charge. It's courage that's keeping us safe, cowardice would be giving into the mob.

Sure you go with that, but ignore the fact that Covid patients were put in Nursing Homes at the beginning. I know this because my Mom had it and thank God recovered. So don't give me the great job BS when in fact Connecticut had the highest rate per capital for a long time. Now it is forth behind New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. But don't let facts get involved with your rants ..

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I said they were in the top 4. How does this not square with what I said?

You referenced CT being top 4 for states' current status.
He mentioned CT being top four for deaths per capita.

You are both correct. CT took a big hit early on and its death rate per capita is very high.
Due to the early death rate the current case load is very low.

Reaction Score
Sometimes it feels like that, but I don't think that is the case. I think the US has become a risk adverse society more dependent on government action. (Whatever happened to the original goal to flatten the curve to prevent the healthcare system from being overwhelmed?) Remember, during the 1968/1969 Hong Kong flu in the US (which killed 100k in the US), schools were not shut down. Heck, nobody talked about cancelling Woodstock due to the possibility of the spread of flu.

There has been a huge difference between how the public sector and private sector sports have been dealing with COVID. There has been baseball, basketball, hockey, golf, soccer,... played by clubs and some town leagues in the northeast all summer. Did you hear of any widespread COVID problems? No. Now that we see high school and college football on TV, have you heard of any COVID outbreaks due to the games? No.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Nothing to do with social distancing and mask-wearing? I think you guys trying to make hay about what happened in the earliest stages are ghouls. If the rest of the country behaved like Connecticut from the get-go, we'd have CFB right now.
Duke won the '99 Championship 39-37.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If the rest of the country behaved like Connecticut from the get-go, we'd have CFB right now.

Maybe, but certainly not assured. CT is doing a fantastic job and yet HS football isn't even allowed to try a modified season (Silver's idea of a game every two weeks sounds pretty good to me).

The question remains - where to draw the line on risk and cost (both economically and socially).

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Sometimes it feels like that, but I don't think that is the case. I think the US has become a risk adverse society more dependent on government action. (Whatever happened to the original goal to flatten the curve to prevent the healthcare system from being overwhelmed?) Remember, during the 1968/1969 Hong Kong flu in the US (which killed 100k in the US), schools were not shut down. Heck, nobody talked about cancelling Woodstock due to the possibility of the spread of flu.

There has been a huge difference between how the public sector and private sector sports have been dealing with COVID. There has been baseball, basketball, hockey, golf, soccer,... played by clubs and some town leagues in the northeast all summer. Did you hear of any widespread COVID problems? No. Now that we see high school and college football on TV, have you heard of any COVID outbreaks due to the games? No.

Agreed on many levels

Also - what about the swine flu a few years back when the administration made a choice to keep it hushed in the press etc. until the number of deaths reached a point when it became impossible. What was the quote?
It was already a pandemic so why declare it so!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe, but certainly not assured. CT is doing a fantastic job and yet HS football isn't even allowed to try a modified season (Silver's idea of a game every two weeks sounds pretty good to me).
If the rest of the country took it seriously instead issuing bans on mask wearing we would be doing even better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom