"No Flow to Our Offense" - Geno expands on post-SC comments | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"No Flow to Our Offense" - Geno expands on post-SC comments

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I love Geno, and I think he has the best basketball mind in the business, men or women. I really hate to say this, but I'm really getting tired of the way he chastises players publicly. These girls play their heart out, and if they screw up or just don't have a good game he can address this at practice or in his office. I myself get embarrassed whenever he does this at pressers, especially when the player is sitting right next to him at the table. I can't believe the university hasn't said anything to him, because from the outside many could say it is abuse, and lately this is becoming a very big topic. He may think it is funny, but to me it isn't. Like I already said, I love him, he's the best, but come on, treat the players with respect, at least publicly.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Muhl, Ducharme, Griffin when she comes back, and Juhasz should all get more PT as UConn gets into its softer conference schedule.
I completely agree with you, but my point is our next game is in December and these players should already be integrated in the rotation. Louisville, UCLA, Georgia Tech, will be tough if we have to rely on 6 players. This really is a strange schedule. LOL

Reaction Score
Call me skeptical but sometimes coaches seem to give injury reports as small "excuses" to help ease the pressure on the player when he/she is going to give them less PT suddenly. I think Geno is probably aware of this option. Let's be honest. We do not know the situation of course but just a few weeks ago Azzi said her foot was fine now. Probably it is still a factor but she felt she could play with it. Lot's of us quickly noted a defensive liability and frankly I saw it in her high school footage. She is clearly a great athlete but even a great athlete can lack in a specific area. Could Larry Bird dance well? I doubt it. Azzi's game is all about SUPPLEMENTING a team. If given a lot of screens she will make a good team a elite 8 team. Look at Iowa. Even with a top scoring guard they still are elite 8 at best. We can't bank on Azzi winning the college championship. She's going to need a lot of help and fortunately she will probably have it and have a chance. She's not Larry Bird or Magic Johnson. She is going to need more development time. I'm fine with that. That is what I expected several weeks ago. I still think Caroline is the more important project.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I love Geno, and I think he has the best basketball mind in the business, men or women. I really hate to say this, but I'm really getting tired of the way he chastises players publicly. These girls play their heart out, and if they screw up or just don't have a good game he can address this at practice or in his office. I myself get embarrassed whenever he does this at pressers, especially when the player is sitting right next to him at the table. I can't believe the university hasn't said anything to him, because from the outside many could say it is abuse, and lately this is becoming a very big topic. He may think it is funny, but to me it isn't. Like I already said, I love him, he's the best, but come on, treat the players with respect, at least publicly.
How long have you been following UConn WBB? It must not be very long, or you would know that he has been criticizing his players' performance publicly for decades now.

What he has been saying recently pales in comparison to what he said about Charde Houston or even Tina Charles when they played for him, not to mention Kara Wolters, or Megan Walker and her classmates. So far, no one has transferred because of this, and most players become very loyal to him after they graduate. Which is not to say that they all like it, or wouldn't prefer that he didn't do it.

I don't see any reason to believe that "today's players are different", although many posters seem to think that is the all-purpose answer to arguments such as I am making.

Reaction Score
How long have you been following UConn WBB? It must not be very long, or you would know that he has been criticizing his players' performance publicly for decades now.

What he has been saying recently pales in comparison to what he said about Charde Houston or even Tina Charles when they played for him, not to mention Kara Wolters, or Megan Walker and her classmates. So far, no one has transferred because of this, and most players become very loyal to him after they graduate. Which is not to say that they all like it, or wouldn't prefer that he didn't do it.

I don't see any reason to believe that "today's players are different", although many posters seem to think that is the all-purpose answer to arguments such as I am making.
The term “ micro aggressions” did not exist in the times of those former players.

Reaction Score
Geno tells the kids their playing time is dependent on practice. So, I don’t think he’s going to extend the rotation beyond what it is now. Regardless of who is injured or not. This is one thing I hate that Geno is doing with this team. The team has players that can go toe to toe with SC. Will it be pretty with the role players? No. But if Azzi still has the foot injury, she needs to rest.

Questions about whether a player is well enough to practice, needs to rest, or is cleared for full contact practices is made by the team’s medical staff, not the coaching staff. Most of the medical professionals I’ve dealt with err on the side of caution, so if there is any risk to the athlete’s long term health they won’t be cleared to play. Since Azzi has been playing you would have to assume she has to have a nagging problem that isn’t a threat to her health, but could affect her mobility.
As for the team having the players that are capable of going toe to toe with S. Carolina, I’m curious as to whose toes on the UConn roster are you matching up with Ms. Bostons? Her post play & the offensive rebounding of their team were big reasons for the outcome. Does UConn have the talent to win the next matchup with them- yes, but there have to be some significant changes made to allow that to happen. BTW, I am confident that UConn has a coach that can recognize what has to be fixed, and to get it done- that’s reflected in his track record.

JMO

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Personally, I think Geno needs to do more validation of his players. He should only say nice things about them. I mean they are all trying their best aren’t they? We probably won’t win so many games but ‘yarders will be less offended. Perhaps some sort of sticker after every game will help?

1638107691361.jpeg

There, I feel better already.

Reaction Score
This is why we need a couple of cupcakes to start the season. Get the new players integrated to the system, get the new players PT to get acclimated to the college game. When you start with pretty good teams two things happen, or I should say don't happen. If you give minutes to the new guys you will lose, or to win they will get limited minutes or don't play at all. Right now, we are 4 games in and are at square one. Not enough PT for the new guys, a loss, and by the way, in all of November we only play 4 games, and 3 of them in 3 days. We have some pretty good teams coming up and we don't have a bench rotation, because if we don't have games how are we going to get any chemistry. We could actually lose more games, so in my opinion we will probably see the same players as last year, with maybe 2 players off the bench. What happened to the 9 or 10 player rotation we have been counting on?
I hate losing games. If a top team like Uconn Women need games with top talented teams, as much as I'll moan over Geno's screwups in doing that, In March and April I'll be saying---HOW BRILLIANT GENO WAS IN DECEMBER.

Reaction Score
Geno tells the kids their playing time is dependent on practice. So, I don’t think he’s going to extend the rotation beyond what it is now. Regardless of who is injured or not. This is one thing I hate that Geno is doing with this team. The team has players that can go toe to toe with SC. Will it be pretty with the role players? No. But if Azzi still has the foot injury, she needs to rest.

Where did it say when her foot problem began? Was it start of the season? Which game was it that her foot was affected? SO it just happened to be the SC game or maybe SC is the type of team that can take advantage of her foot issue and others can't? What if she could play on it but it's going to bother her all year? Sit her for the entire year then?

Reaction Score
The trainers and medical staff had the ultimate say on whether a player could participate, had any limits, or had to sit. I personally for the most part liked that as it took that pressure off me. I hate to admit we did, at times, have some heated discussions during the championship season ;)

Reaction Score

This is something about Geno that I really dislike. And I think he does it because he's Geno, and can get away with it. I see no point in publicly criticizing your players ( keep it to one-on-one), and ,as you say, I expect players don't like it, and wish he wouldn't do it. What say you? Do you think there is some point? Or would you say it's no big deal?

Reaction Score
If the choice is go with starters primarily against the tougher competition to ensure maximum # of wins, or play bench players more (Azzi, Ducharme, etc) to give them development time but could result in few more losses, I'd rather give development time to the other newcomers. UConn is going to make the tournament regardless, the starters will be more rested, and UConn will have a deeper bench. I mean, what if starters get injured, do you then hope the newcomers can get up to speed in enough time? And, maybe someone like Ducharme could be a better player than even one of the starters if given the chance to develop- how else would we know?

Reaction Score
This is something about Geno that I really dislike. And I think he does it because he's Geno, and can get away with it. I see no point in publicly criticizing your players ( keep it to one-on-one), and ,as you say, I expect players don't like it, and wish he wouldn't do it. What say you? Do you think there is some point? Or would you say it's no big deal?

To me if it’s personal then it’s a big deal, if it’s just about basketball not so much. Most players at the D-1 level have been challenged by previous coaches, and knew what they signed up for when deciding to play for the UConn brand. None of us particularly enjoyed it, but if you knew it was aimed at making you a better player you understood what was behind it. If a player stole from a teammate, cheated on an exam, or embarrassed the university then it’s going to personal, as it should be.
Every coach has their own style, & this is Geno’s. As a general rule, no matter what your style, if you win it’s the right one.

JMO

Reaction Score
No big deal imo.

It's the recruits "that tell us" if his criticism is bad. And "they tell us" that it's no big deal. Geno has been recruiting well the past 3 years.

Reaction Score
I get chastised every time I bring this up but as far as I'm concerned at the beginning of the season you need to play the important bench players for the better part of a quarter regardless of the quality of their play............very few players can reach their potential looking at their own bench every time the buzzer goes off to see if they are getting the hook............just no way to get into the flow of the game physically or psychologically......

Reaction Score
I get chastised every time I bring this up but as far as I'm concerned at the beginning of the season you need to play the important bench players for the better part of a quarter regardless of the quality of their play............very few players can reach their potential looking at their own bench every time the buzzer goes off to see if they are getting the hook............just no way to get into the flow of the game physically or psychologically......
Definitely agree to an extent. Subbing a freshman in for 90 seconds at the end of a quarter or game does little to give them in game experience. Such short opportunities limit you to a small amount of potential impact plays, which to me causes players to press to impress. Especially when those at the end of the bench come in for the final minute, when the last 20-30 seconds is just dribbling out the clock.

However, there are more appropriate games to give them the run time. Playing the top overall team has implications on seeding/experience, and you need to play your best rotation to have a shot at winning. But does Evina Westbrook really need to play the last 5 min against Minnesota when you are up 31? If yes, what’s the purpose of carrying the bench players.

Reaction Score
If the choice is go with starters primarily against the tougher competition to ensure maximum # of wins, or play bench players more (Azzi, Ducharme, etc) to give them development time but could result in few more losses, I'd rather give development time to the other newcomers. UConn is going to make the tournament regardless, the starters will be more rested, and UConn will have a deeper bench. I mean, what if starters get injured, do you then hope the newcomers can get up to speed in enough time? And, maybe someone like Ducharme could be a better player than even one of the starters if given the chance to develop- how else would we know?
there's a middle ground...........obviously in close games there's a limit to substitutions in order to win but in the upcoming conference games I would like to see Fudd, Ducharme and Dorka get good minutes and not only sporadic 2-3 minute "guest appearances"....

Reaction Score
Definitely agree to an extent. Subbing a freshman in for 90 seconds at the end of a quarter or game does little to give them in game experience. Such short opportunities limit you to a small amount of potential impact plays, which to me causes players to press to impress. Especially when those at the end of the bench come in for the final minute, when the last 20-30 seconds is just dribbling out the clock.

However, there are more appropriate games to give them the run time. Playing the top overall team has implications on seeding/experience, and you need to play your best rotation to have a shot at winning. But does Evina Westbrook really need to play the last 5 min against Minnesota when you are up 31? If yes, what’s the purpose of carrying the bench players.

UCONN has the whole season to give Evina rest because of the Big East being not very good. So what's wrong with giving Evina extra time to help prepare for USF? That USF game was a tough game. So, whose to say those extra minutes with Minny didn't help Evina and as a result help the team overall?

Reaction Score
Drives me crazy to see 6’2 Caroline who is scrappy and supposedly also a great shooter just sitting on the bench. If Azzi needs to heal, give Caroline some more time! If nothing else, she’ll become more familiar with actual game schemes and situations.
Clearly there are a bunch of people here who "like" your thoughts on giving Ducharme more time, who don't see her developing much as she gathers splinters. What, she was like the #5 rated recruit? And she's treated like a walk-on. Maybe get a petition going?

Reaction Score
Personally, I think Geno needs to do more validation of his players. He should only say nice things about them. I mean they are all trying their best aren’t they? We probably won’t win so many games but ‘yarders will be less offended. Perhaps some sort of sticker after every game will help?

View attachment 71411
Yes, and while we are at it, what's with this whole ranking nonsense anyway?
And what about making those other 63 teams feel bad in April?
Not to mention all the ones who don't even get to go to "THE BIG DANCE".
Maybe cut down the nets and give everyone a participation trophy before the first round starts.
Suspend Geno for one game each time he says something negative about a player. Better yet, fire his nasty butt and put someone more diplomatic in charge.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you avoid offending anyone.

Reaction Score
Clearly there are a bunch of people here who "like" your thoughts on giving Ducharme more time, who don't see her developing much as she gathers splinters. What, she was like the #5 rated recruit? And she's treated like a walk-on. Maybe get a petition going?
I'm among the 'bunch of people' who'd like to see Caroline get some playing time. As with Dorka, flaws have surfaced, but with which Huskies, including our seniors, haven't they?

It could be that she's not ready to play an integral part in coming weeks, maybe months. However, as one poster noted days ago, freshmen across the country on very good teams are making an impact, and likely many of them are without Caroline's seemingly considerable skill set.

Reaction Score

View attachment 71411
Growing up my daughter HATED when her coaches said this!!

For clarification, since the graphic didn't seem to come over "When you had fun, you won!"

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom