No Cowboys 8-1 Thread ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No Cowboys 8-1 Thread ?

Reaction Score
All good, Dak proved to be the real deal it would seem. But Jaylon Smith and major force in the same sentence is a reach for now. I love the kids game but his injury was ridiculous, I'm guessing no one really knows how this transitions to the field at this point.

They will be very good as will the rest of the NFC east again I do believe. Strong conference.

Reaction Score
LOL!!! A cowboys hater that is also an expert on the Cowboys. Oh, now that is precious.

I can only assume that when you talk about the Cowboys #1 safety and #1 CB, you're talking about Mo Claiborne and Barry Church. I further have to assume that you think it's some kind of conundrum they face here. Byron Jones is actually their #1 safety, and JJ Wilcox actually was more of a force at safety than Church. Claiborne still can't stay healthy for more than 10 minutes, so it's entirely unlikely he either leaves via FA, or if he does, that he can't be replaced with Anthony Brown, who did about as well as Claiborne as a rookie 6th rounder.

Further, their pass defense was stinky for a variety of reasons, including the lack of much of a pass rush, and the fact that they played with the lead most of the time which forced opposing teams to throw the ball a lot.

The OL ? Tyron Smith is locked up long term with a very cap friendly, yet restructurable contract. As is Travis Frederick. It's virtually guaranteed they'll extend Zack Martin this offseason. In case you missed it, those 3 are All Pro and the oldest of which just turned 26.

The biggest cap issue they face is Tony Romo, who is also a major asset when he is inevitably traded this year. So with him traded - presumably designated post 6/1 - they add picks / players and reduce / eliminate their cap issue.

Yeah, Cowboy fans are definitely going to lose sleep over all that.

And Jaylon Smith will be a major force at LB next year as well. They may have to replace their #2 (really #3) WR, but other than that, they can focus the entire draft on the defense. And keep in mind they had the best draft in the NFL in 2016, picking up 4 starters, one each in rounds 1, 3, 4, and 6.
Jaylon Smith ha, ok, try getting on the field first before claiming him to be a "major force". Never said #1 safety, said starting SS, which Church is.

Trading Romo is nice, but it saves 5 mill on the cap next year, that almost gets you to the black. It will help the cap in two years.

Leary is going to be gone this season, Martin, Free and Collins contracts all come up next year. Financially not possible to pay all of them with what is being allocated to Smith and Fredrick.

Am I Cowboys hater? Yes, I am a Giants fan. Do I think you are a front runner like every other Cowboys fan born and raised 1,500 miles from the Texas border? Yes. And save me the I rooted for them when they stunk, you choose them because they were good and the Pats/Giants/Jets sucked.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If you're worried about a team being $5 million over the cap, you don't really understand how the salary cap works. The Cowboys are not in salary cap trouble. If anything, the Giants have more to be concerned about; teams that go on spending sprees in free agency like they did tend to end up in cap hell a few years later. Look at the Jets; they signed a bunch of talent in free agency two years ago and reaped the rewards in 2015, but then everything fell apart this past year.

Reaction Score
If you're worried about a team being $5 million over the cap, you don't really understand how the salary cap works. The Cowboys are not in salary cap trouble. If anything, the Giants have more to be concerned about; teams that go on spending sprees in free agency like they did tend to end up in cap hell a few years later. Look at the Jets; they signed a bunch of talent in free agency two years ago and reaped the rewards in 2015, but then everything fell apart this past year.
Tell me why going into FA being over the cap is a good thing, and that being -5 mill is better than being 25 mill (pre cuts numbers for both teams)? Love to hear this explanation. Or that having 44 mill in 2018 is better than 66 mill?

The Cowboys are in cap trouble next year no matter what happens with Romo, this is a fact. I know they can restructure some deals, ie., Dez and Smith to free up some, but not much money. They get some big relief in the next two years if/when they can get rid of Romo which will be needed for Dak and Elliot.

The Giants spent big and it worked, they went from the 31st ranked defense to the 2nd ranked defense.

Comparing the Jets and the Giants is an uninformed statement of the actual contracts and the roster make up of both teams. Jets, 2 years after spending have no money this year, Giants in two years from the spending have 65 mill (obviously will decrease after this year) but the Giant's contract setups did not hamstring them in the future which is evidenced by the Giants cap 2017 cap number compared with the fact the 2016 Jets cap number. This is not even to mention who the Jets actually spent their money on.

I am glad you are not concerned with having no money to fix the defense but others are.

NFL: 7 Teams Facing Serious Salary Cap Issues in 2017

NFL Salary Cap Space | Over The Cap

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Tell me why going into FA being over the cap is a good thing, and that being -5 mill is better than being 25 mill (pre cuts numbers for both teams)? Love to hear this explanation. Or that having 44 mill in 2018 is better than 66 mill?

The Cowboys are in cap trouble next year no matter what happens with Romo, this is a fact. I know they can restructure some deals, ie., Dez and Smith to free up some, but not much money. They get some big relief in the next two years if/when they can get rid of Romo which will be needed for Dak and Elliot.

The Giants spent big and it worked, they went from the 31st ranked defense to the 2nd ranked defense.

Comparing the Jets and the Giants is an uninformed statement of the actual contracts and the roster make up of both teams. Jets, 2 years after spending have no money this year, Giants in two years from the spending have 65 mill (obviously will decrease after this year) but the Giant's contract setups did not hamstring them in the future which is evidenced by the Giants cap 2017 cap number compared with the fact the 2016 Jets cap number. This is not even to mention who the Jets actually spent their money on.

I am glad you are not concerned with having no money to fix the defense but others are.

NFL: 7 Teams Facing Serious Salary Cap Issues in 2017

NFL Salary Cap Space | Over The Cap

Agent's Take: Moving Romo, upgrading pass rush top Cowboys' to-do list

Here's an article about the Cowboys' cap situation. It's not a concern; they'll restructure some deals which they've done regularly since 2011. That means they can spread out the money from those players' years over the next five seasons. It's kicking the can down the road to a degree, but the salary cap goes up every year. They've been doing this for years now, and it's never stopped them from keeping their guys. The Cowboys don't really go crazy in FA; it's not their prerogative to spend big bucks on older players. So, yeah, I wouldn't expect them to go sign JPP or Melvin Ingram, but if they did stuff like that every year, then they couldn't re-sign their stud offensive line. I guarantee you they're going to re-sign Zack Martin to a big deal, and most likely it'll be this summer.

As for the article you posted, it bases the Cowboys being in trouble based on the current cap number, which is projected to go up by at least $10 million, and it makes the comment "There is also a chance that they could completely part ways with Romo — which would free up a huge chunk of change — if rookie quarterback Dak Prescott continues to play at a high level." It's a foregone conclusion that they're going to either trade or cut Romo.

People have been crying that the Cowboys are in "cap hell" for years now, and it's never stopped them from re-signing their young talent, and even from bringing in good players in free agency. They've made the decision that instead of throwing $30 million guaranteed at stars in free agency, they're going to keep their young stars instead. I'd rather do that than try to bring in pieces that may not be a scheme fit and are likely going to be overpaid and underperform by the end of the deal.

Reaction Score
Lo and behold, they restructure Tyron Smith and Travis Fredricksen and go from $11M over to $6M under. And that's before extending Martin or Trading / releasing Romo.

So much for the impending cap doom.

Reaction Score
Lo and behold, they restructure Tyron Smith and Travis Fredricksen and go from $11M over to $6M under. And that's before extending Martin or Trading / releasing Romo.

So much for the impending cap doom.
$6m in cap space is good?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Cowboys were never really in any cap danger.

They were always going to use the restructure bonus provision to create room.

Reaction Score
$6m in cap space is good?
LOL! You really are precious. One day it's CAP DOOM and the next it's "$6 million in cap space is good" ?

Whatever. No, you're right. I'd much rather be a Browns fan - a crap team with $108 M in cap space that nobody wants to play for. Even better - the Eagles - a mediocre team with no cap space.

Reaction Score
Yes. Makes the chances for a repeat by the Patriots greater.
Certainly doesn't hurt, especially with the Patriots $62 M under the cap.

Of course, cap space can indicate open roster spots as well. The Patriots 14 free agents made about $32M last year. I'd post those numbers for Dallas, but the Spotrac page is messed up for some reason

Reaction Score
LOL! You really are precious. One day it's CAP DOOM and the next it's "$6 million in cap space is good" ?

Whatever. No, you're right. I'd much rather be a Browns fan - a crap team with $108 M in cap space that nobody wants to play for. Even better - the Eagles - a mediocre team with no cap space.
I hate to break it to you, but 6m in cap space is not good and pretty close to "cap doom". I would LOL you but I am not a 10 year old girl.

FYI the Eagles have more cap space then the Cowboys.

Reaction Score
Claborine to the Jets, Leary to Denver, Church to Jax, Wilcox to Tampa, Carr to the Ravens, ect.

No the Cowboys lack of salary cap space is not an issue at all, none.

Reaction Score
The Cowboys were never really in any cap danger.

They were always going to use the restructure bonus provision to create room.
They have $632k left in cap space until June 1 with the draft coming up and already losing 2 guys on the OL and a handful of defensive starters/major contributors.

But sure tell us more about their restructuring and lack of cap issues.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You are one bitter puppy.

I'm guessing the the Cowboys hurt you as a child and now are better than whoever you root for.

Their better than my team, but I seem to be handling it better than you.

Reaction Score
You are one bitter puppy.

I'm guessing the the Cowboys hurt you as a child and now are better than whoever you root for.

Their better than my team, but I seem to be handling it better than you.
No, the team I root for beat them twice last year, and have actually been relevant in the post season the last two decades.

I just think your unsupported declarations are always funny, as they are generally wrong (lack of knowledge on the subject matter, as was the case here, is usually the issue). Since you have no issue telling people they are stupid I find it even funnier that you seem to take offense to being called out for a really stupid comment.

Reaction Score
I hate the hype around the Cowboys even when they stink. They haven't won squat for 20 years.

And with the book closing on Romo, his performance never came close to the hype either. The perfect Cowboy.

Reaction Score
I'm not offended.

But you are bitter.

And the Cowboys are okay.

Tony Romo's Retirement Creates $14 Million Cap Space
Cool I did not know a new FA period started after June 1, maybe they can use that money to sign back all the guys which left this offseason.

Posting that article shows how lost you are on the subject. Here is something more relevant for you

DAL.png
Dallas Cowboys

The Skinny: The Cowboys didn’t make many moves, but they did re-sign receivers Terrance Williams and Brice Butler. They were limited by cap room and were unable to land any pass rushers. They did lose guard Ronald Leary to the Broncos and tackle Doug Free announced his retirement. They also lost safeties Barry Church (Jaguars) and J.J. Wilcox (Bucs) and likely will lose corner Morris Claiborne. They did sign corner Nolan Carroll from the Eagles but also lost defensive lineman Jack Crawford and Terrell McClain. The Cowboys are also of course expected to release Tony Romo.

Grade: D. The lack of cap room showed up in a big way. They have to address pass rush in the draft.

2017 NFL Free Agency Grades: Give Saints and Jaguars an 'A,' but Jets get an 'F'

Reaction Score
Zeke showing he is the perfect Cowboy, ha what a sad organization

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Zeke showing he is the perfect Cowboy, ha what a sad organization

lol, didn't Josh Brown just get suspended last year for beating his wife? And the Giants didn't cut him until the public outcry was too much, even though they knew he admitted to hitting her on multiple occasions. What a classy organization.

Reaction Score
lol, didn't Josh Brown just get suspended last year for beating his wife? And the Giants didn't cut him until the public outcry was too much, even though they knew he admitted to hitting her on multiple occasions. What a classy organization.
Oh you mean the guy they cut and apologized for mishandling?

Didn't Jerry defend Zeke all offseason on how he did nothing wrong? And while under investigation he beat someone else up? The is the same team that also signed Greg Hardy, drafted Randy Gregory, ect.

Jerry will probably give Zeke a raise after this.

Comparing the two organizations is comical.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Oh you mean the guy they cut and apologized for mishandling?

LOL. They "apologized" after they were caught. That's not a real apology, and if it was Odell Beckham that did it, they wouldn't have cut him. In fact, Odell did some pretty awful stuff on the field a year ago and the Giants did nothing.

Every organization is the same; they want to win, and they'll employ bad people in order to do that. Giants fans have this air of superiority about their organization, like they're somehow different. It's comical.

Reaction Score
LOL. They "apologized" after they were caught. That's not a real apology, and if it was Odell Beckham that did it, they wouldn't have cut him. In fact, Odell did some pretty awful stuff on the field a year ago and the Giants did nothing.

Every organization is the same; they want to win, and they'll employ bad people in order to do that. Giants fans have this air of superiority about their organization, like they're somehow different. It's comical.
Comparing acting out on the field to beating up your girlfriend 3 times in a week or threatening your girlfriend with a gun after you beat her up. Sounds about right for a Cowboys fan. You are either a scumbag or an idiot trying to compare the two.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom