No BE Commit from UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No BE Commit from UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not so fast. While the PAC 12 news is not good news...the SEC is proably not done at 14. They are about to add 2 SEC West teams (aTM and Mizzou), so it is only natural for them to add 2 SEC East teams (FSU and Clemson/VT). I have a feeling that the ACC has UConn lined up for when they lose a team or two to the SEC. FSU cannot be happy with the additions of Syracuse and Pitt...the ACC is back to a basketball league and the 'Noles cannot be happy! It think that is whay the ACC is almost sure on UConn (FSU replacement) and is half-way in on Rutgers (in case they lose a 2nd team).

The danger is if the ACC loses 2 teams and decides to stay at 12, or if Oklahoma and Oklahoma St decide to take the SEC's last two spots.
The SEC's statement tonight said they were staying at 14, I believe. Plus the $20 million exit fee for ACC members is prohibitive.

Reaction Score
Not sure that's a totally correct comparison. UCF and ECU didn't bring any immediate value to the league. UConn obviously brings a basketball powerhouse to make the ACC undoubtedly the best basketball conference in the nation. RU (supposedly) brings NYC, which we also do too to an extent. It is a correct comparison in that if either are extended invites, they'll go immediately.

They have enough basketball powerhouses, they are going to wait to improve their football prestige. If they can't do that, they'll bring us in, we'll be here, and we'll say yes.

Reaction Score
Not so fast. While the PAC 12 news is not good news...the SEC is proably not done at 14. They are about to add 2 SEC West teams (aTM and Mizzou), so it is only natural for them to add 2 SEC East teams (FSU and Clemson/VT). I have a feeling that the ACC has UConn lined up for when they lose a team or two to the SEC. FSU cannot be happy with the additions of Syracuse and Pitt...the ACC is back to a basketball league and the 'Noles cannot be happy! It think that is whay the ACC is almost sure on UConn (FSU replacement) and is half-way in on Rutgers (in case they lose a 2nd team).

The danger is if the ACC loses 2 teams and decides to stay at 12, or if Oklahoma and Oklahoma St decide to take the SEC's last two spots.

I don't necessarily agree with all of this, but I don't understand how this is in conflict to my point.

If the SEC takes two ACC programs, we'll be here ready to fill a vacancy.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I think we're all punch drunk at this point

the debate in this thread about what ESPN said or didn't say and why is actually kinda funny

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs tweet reiterating no commitment to BE.

"My source insists UConn is keeping its options open"

No way would Herbst allow this unless UConn's entreaty has been eceived positively.

Reaction Score
Not committing is what any sane, honest president with a shred of decency would do in her shoes right now. All remaining BE members know from her quotes over the past 48 hours that she's trying to get the hell out of Dodge. So two days after she basically says that, she's not gonna put herself in an angry room filled with people who want a pound of flesh.

I also don't think that her "no commit" or "no dinner appearance" has anything to do with something being up her sleeve. I think we're in a wait-and-see mode and like she said, it will require patience and perhaps many months.

Reaction Score
The ACC isn't moving on UConn/Rutgers right now for the same reason the Big East didn't move on UCF/ECU for the past few years.

We're here and ready whenever they say yes.

Hopefully the B1G will force their hand.

This is pretty much spot on. We're desperate. There is no hurry to act.

Reaction Score
She does not need to commit. It's not like they are going to kick us out. The BE is just as desperate to keep us as we are desperate to leave.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not sure that's a totally correct comparison. UCF and ECU didn't bring any immediate value to the league. UConn obviously brings a basketball powerhouse to make the ACC undoubtedly the best basketball conference in the nation. RU (supposedly) brings NYC, which we also do too to an extent. It is a correct comparison in that if either are extended invites, they'll go immediately.
Arguments of whether the potential BE additions would have brought value aside, whether they are or are not correct in their assumption, the ACC believes that we (and also RU) are someone they have at their beck and call whenever they want to pick up the phone.

Reaction Score
Arguments of whether the potential BE additions would have brought value aside, whether they are or are not correct in their assumption, the ACC believes that we (and also RU) are someone they have at their beck and call whenever they want to pick up the phone.

We're left in the position now where that is almost certainly the case.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So was sending her flunky still such a great move?

Reaction Score
So was sending her flunky still such a great move?
What would it have changed if she was there or not? UConn was represented by an official.

Reaction Score
We're left in the position now where that is almost certainly the case.

While it may be the case, the ACC has some needs itself that may force the issue. For one, it looks like it's going to take fully 2 years for SU and Pitt to join, and in that interim, the ACC is exposed to all sorts of conference mayhem. And two, I would not underestimate how much the tobacco road schools are looking forward to reconstituting the old 8 schools of the ACC for round robin basketball, adding only four games with the ACC's Big East division.

Reaction Score
Herbst knew that sending an underling released UConn from committing to the BE.

Something is going on here or else Herbst would have put out a statement.

More to be revealed.

Herbst basically waved the white flag on WTIC this morning. Admitted we can't control anything and can't wave a magic wand and end up where we want.

Reaction Score
What would it have changed if she was there or not? UConn was represented by an official.

Easy answer is nothing. Waq is just continuing to play his role.

Reaction Score

There is one other reaon (and I'm not saying it will push the ACC to 16 -- just that it can't be discounted). Even if growth is done for 3 or 4 years, it's not done. If the ACC and Big Ten invite at the same time, the ACC loses. If it wants two 8 team divisions, northern and southern, it has to act before the Big Ten gets around to it. Because I'm not sure I buy that the Big Ten can get Maryland whenever it wants to.

Reaction Score
Don't believe the PAC-12 stuff. Maybe for the moment, but if Texas and Oklahoma come and say "we're in" th ePAC 12 will expand. This stuff is far from over.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
There is one other reaon (and I'm not saying it will push the ACC to 16 -- just that it can't be discounted). Even if growth is done for 3 or 4 years, it's not done. If the ACC and Big Ten invite at the same time, the ACC loses. If it wants two 8 team divisions, northern and southern, it has to act before the Big Ten gets around to it. Because I'm not sure I buy that the Big Ten can get Maryland whenever it wants to.

That is my hope as well...as much of a longshot as it is. I hope the ACC takes UConn as #15 now while it can. Given that Syracuse and Pitt are stuck here until 2014, the conference expansion will probably happen before then anyway. Take UConn now and leave spit #16 open for Notre Dame if they so choose. Because if they wait, UConn will continue to build their resume (AAU membership, BCS games,etc) to the point that the Big Ten could infringe on the NE market and steal some power from the ACC.

Plus, 15 teams is actually not a bad setup. You have three 5 team Pods. In basketball you play a home-and-home with your 4 other Pod mates and then play a single game with all other teams for a 18 game conference schedule. The ACC basketball contingent would love that as it would get key rivalries (ie the NC schools) back to true home and home series). For football, you play your 4 other Pod mates every year and rotate between the other 10 teams each year...so there are 9 conference games and you play your rivals every year and play every team in the conference at least once every two years.

Reaction Score
Don't believe the PAC-12 stuff. Maybe for the moment, but if Texas and Oklahoma come and say "we're in" th ePAC 12 will expand. This stuff is far from over.

I agree. If Texas and Oklahoma want in your conference, I don't care if you're the Chinese Athletic Conference in Beijing, you're a fool to not take them--or, more specifically, you take OU and hope that pushes Texas to do something about that albatross that is the LHN.

I think it's not yet over.

Reaction Score

Multiple times in the past Maryland has been prepared to leave the ACC.

Reaction Score
With Pitt and Cuse in the fold, their issues are probably solved.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
While it's true that it's not yet over, it may be a while before there is any movement.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The BE will have to settle with Herbst's answer. At least the women is showing integrity. Everyone knows UConn's intentions. She was not showing her hand. So if UConn gets the invite she can not be accused of lying to the other members.

And she didn't burn her bridges either. The conference will have to make contingencies if UConn bolts. But they should be doing that anyways because Rutgers may be saying the things the conference wants to hear but they are just as gone with any invite. And everyone knows this.

Reaction Score
Heavens. It was reported correctly that Herbst wasn't going to attend; instead she sent an underling. She isn't stupid.
After dedicating another new UConn 21st Century-funded classroom yesterday, are we to believe Herbst was not busy glad handing alumni for further donations late yesterday afternoon into evening? No, she does not appear stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom