No ACC Invite? It's Our Fault, Too. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No ACC Invite? It's Our Fault, Too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For the "I'd rather have a beer" crowd, the answer is no. You may think you do but your priorities say no.

I don't understand why I have to be there before starting lineups/kickoff. Is it really that big a deal to support the marching band and national anthem? If the crowd was absolutely packed by kickoff and stayed the whole game, and made a ton of noise, and we kept getting into BCS games, would ACC executives really say, "Oh, sure, that's great, but where were they during the marching band?!?"

I guess I'm just contributing to the problem. Sorry, guys.

Reaction Score
How can anything the fans do prior to a game be embarassing? Why in the world do you care how much before the kickoff a fan shows up? What possible good to you think is done to the program by someone being there early instead of by kickoff?

Reaction Score
We played over 1,000 games since 1896 and have no tradition. Completely logical. Ever hear of "losing tradition"? Our "tradition" right now is around .500. And unless we have 15+ kickass seasons in a row, we're not going to have your ideas of "tradition". Boise State's all-time record winning percentage is .721+.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It hasn't helped ECU.

Reaction Score
If your point is that if the Rent was rocking on a weekly basis the ACC would lust after us, I agree. I think we will get there eventually. Even in this horrid season we got around 38,000+ for Syracuse. Our tailgating scene is right up there.

Think stadium expansion will be important, so that we can offer more seating and pricing options.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This whole premise is ridiculous.

I'm sorry, I've had season tickets for 7 years now and I think I've seen the National Anthem maybe once or twice. Bottom line, I'm not rushing into the stadium to hear the marching band play the same song(s) I'm going to hear 100 times for the next 3.5 hours.

The fact that you think the ACC, of all things, has attendance prior to kickoffs on their priority list is mind numbing.

It's simple. Pitt and Syracuse were the only two teams with a history that's nationally relevant. That's it.

Reaction Score
This whole premise is ridiculous.

I'm sorry, I've had season tickets for 7 years now and I think I've seen the National Anthem maybe once or twice. Bottom line, I'm not rushing into the stadium to hear the marching band play the same song(s) I'm going to hear 100 times for the next 3.5 hours.

The fact that you think the ACC, of all things, has attendance prior to kickoffs on their priority list is mind numbing.

It's simple. Pitt and Syracuse were the only two teams with a history that's nationally relevant. That's it.

Thank god.I thought I was losing my mind! Really, the marching band?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Clemson and FSU are poor comparisons as each is culturally much closer to the SEC than the ACC. That said, I am always in my seat nearly an hour before kickoff and hate the fact that I can count the number of fans in the Rent for close to 45 minutes.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You hate the fact that people would rather eat, drink, hang out with their friends and meet up with people as oppossed to sitting our fat a$$es on the bleachers for an hour listening to the marching band?

Reaction Score
ConnHusk wrote ---"You hate the fact that people would rather eat, drink, hang out with their friends and meet up with people as oppossed to sitting our fat a$$es on the bleachers for AN HOUR listening to the marching band?"

Well, you've managed to take hyperbole to the next level. For your info, the entire pregame, from first drumroll to kickoff is less than 20 minutes. And more importantly, it is a key part of the pagentry of college football. The serious football schools get it. So now because you and your buddies can't get in your seats for the TV kickoff we have a half empty stadium, and resemble any other typically disengaged eastern school. Watch any other team's TV games where the crowd is weak as the game begins and tell me what your first impression is.

You also said "The fact that you think the ACC, of all things, has attendance prior to kickoffs on their priority list is mind numbing." Well, of course it isn't the dispositive issue, but consider this: Right now we KNOW that we're being considered and scrutinized --and yet knowing all that we, the fans, can't (won't) even try to make a "good impression" by displaying the simplest measure of passionate support.

All of us love the tailgating part of game day. Some of us wish it wouldd go on for several more hours. But if we truly want to be a big time program, we have to act like we want it and get in the stadium before kickoff.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The real fans are in the parking lots.

Reaction Score
Win games. Win a lot of em. Beat marquee opponents. Do that and people around the country, people in other conferences will take notice. All of the rest of the show is all well and good but if you want people to be impressed with your football program you win big games. There's no way around that.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Again, I'm in my seat for the player intros and kickoff. If being a season ticket holder who's gone to the last four bowl games but isn't there for marching band is part of the problem, then blame me for not getting the ACC invite.

Nobody cares about how the stadium looks before kickoff. Period.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why would I be offended? There's history and there's fans. Most fans don't care for history unless it's about championships or some sort of award. (Ironically, that is an award in my avatar.) The "C" logo on the present helmet comes from the 1924 undefeated team. (Pardon the typos in my post. Messed up in editing.)

By the way, when I was going to school and they were 1AA, I still bothered to read about the team in the student newspaper.

Me too. In fact, I remember Matt DeGennaro putting up huge yardage. Pete Lane wasn't bad before him. They were pretty good in the late 80's. I think DeGennaro in his prime would start for the current squad.

I recall going to a Delaware game and thinking...holy crap we're playing Michigan. Back in those days, you didn't see 1-AA teams on TV, and most of us had never seen the Blue Hens' helmets. I also recall the one time we were mentioned on national tv. Brent Musburger broke in to some game to show a trip by the opposing team's coach. We were awarded a TD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom