No ACC Invite? It's Our Fault, Too. | The Boneyard

No ACC Invite? It's Our Fault, Too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Compare our pre-game attendance with any other ACC school except BC (cause we're better than they are, aren't we?)
Here are two YouTube videos. The first is Clemson, one of our hopeful new ACC conference mates. The second is us.
We have one of the best bands in the nation. We have a great pre-game. Yet, we have NO-ONE in their seats. It's embarrassing.

And don't be inclined to think it's only because we’re playing Fordham. Day or night, big opponent or not, I could show you any of our games--and any of Clemson’s—and it wouldn't change a thing. Our failure to embrace the atmosphere of big boy football contributes to the perception that we’re not ready for prime time. And it’s all our own fault. The question is what will we do to change it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-kKaROgNUg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3dW6AqRFP0&feature=related

Reaction Score
Compare our pre-game attendance with any other ACC school except BC (cause we're better than they are, aren't we?)
Here are two YouTube videos. The first is Clemson, one of our hopeful new ACC conference mates. The second is us.
We have one of the best bands in the nation. We have a great pre-game. Yet, we have NO-ONE in their seats. It's embarrassing.

And don't be inclined to think it's only because we’re playing Fordham. Day or night, big opponent or not, I could show you any of our games--and any of Clemson’s—and it wouldn't change a thing. Our failure to embrace the atmosphere of big boy football contributes to the perception that we’re not ready for prime time. And it’s all our own fault. The question is what will we do to change it?

Stop posting videos of our games on YouTube?

Reaction Score
I was at the UNC/NC State game this past weekend.. missing the UConn game.. A few thoughts.....

- Good Tailgate crowd. They share the same footprint as the RBC Center which makes for a lot of paved parking. Tremendous amount of generators for various reasons.. Probably more than my town which is just getting powe back.
- Stadium NOT full before kickoff
- Not a great game. UConn can beat both teams this year.. Brutal football. UNC had 30yds of total offense in the first half..
- Though an off campus facility.. No beer sales inside, but they let you leave at halftime and return.

Was a good experience, had fun, but a terrible football game to watch. Both offenses were hideous.

I was not overly impressed with ACC football. I'm sure it was just a bad game.. State 13-0 Win. But again, not overly impressed.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We're here on the BY, we aren't the ones who need the memo to get to your seats on time... but I know what you mean. It's a really tough nut to crack. College Football just doesn't hold the same place in our cultural hearts that it does elsewhere in the country. Partly due to being relatively new on the scene, partly due to... just how fickle us Nutmeggers are with our sports. Frankly, short of bribing the crowd with giveaways before kickoff, I don't know how to change it. And I'm not opposed to bribery.

Hopefully, the ACC (or whatever conference) can realize that we deliver on a lot more than this one shortcoming.

Reaction Score
It's a good thing that will never be a factor in determining if we get invited or not. I've been to games at the Dome and at Pitt, there were tumblweeds in certain sections. At least we can say we fill it up by mid 1st quarter. Those two can not.

Reaction Score
I'm there for kickoff, and I hate to be the one to say it, but...

... another beer is worth more than seeing the marching band.

Reaction Score
The question is what will we do to change it?

Bitch about it on the boneyard. (j/k)

No seriously, that has nothing to do with why we haven't been invited to the ACC. Have you seen a BCU game live? How about Cuse or Pitt? I share your frustration, but this has nothing to do with realignment.

Reaction Score

Cuse and Pitt are just as empty. There was like 5000 people at the most recent Maryland game. Try again.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Here's the issue: You compared us to Clemson. Clemson, FSU, VA Tech and Miami are not our equal when it comes to football support. If you look at say, NC state or Virginia I'd bet we look a little better. I haven't looked at their pre-game atmospheres so it's just a hypothesis but comparing us to Clemson is unfair.

Reaction Score
Of course comparing us to Clemson is unfair. But who do you want to aspire to? I know other eastern teams are shaky in their passion and support. I've been to a lot of games at the Dome, BC and at Heinz. Its not much better. Look, we are never (and that's a strong word) going to be like the SEC where when the band comes on the field your hair stands on end. But when coveted recruits like Boeing Brown are at those big atmosphere schools, don't think it doesn't have an impact. The last reason we ever want to lose a recruit is because he senses a disinterested fanbase as the captains trot to the coin toss and kickoff is at hand. We must find a way to get better at it.

Reaction Score
Of course comparing us to Clemson is unfair. But who do you want to aspire to? I know other eastern teams are shaky in their passion and support. I've been to a lot of games at the Dome, BC and at Heinz. Its not much better. Look, we are never (and that's a strong word) going to be like the SEC where when the band comes on the field your hair stands on end. But when coveted recruits like Boeing Brown are at those big atmosphere schools, don't think it doesn't have an impact. The last reason we ever want to lose a recruit is because he senses a disinterested fanbase as the captains trot to the coin toss and kickoff is at hand. We must find a way to get better at it.
If NFL ticket prices become obscene (and they are), we can provide an alternative. Not too long ago, college football had way more prestige than the NFL.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The only way fan support is ever going to grow is if we string together conference titles and become a consistent top 25 team. There's no point in looking around and wondering why a 4-5 team with no D1 history can't fill their stadium before kickoff.

Reaction Score
Surely the crowds are in their seats and the place is full at Duke and Wake Forest each week. You can say the same for about 50% of ACC schools at least.

Reaction Score
Here's the issue: You compared us to Clemson. Clemson, FSU, VA Tech and Miami are not our equal when it comes to football support. If you look at say, NC state or Virginia I'd bet we look a little better. I haven't looked at their pre-game atmospheres so it's just a hypothesis but comparing us to Clemson is unfair.

you should take Miami out of that group. their fan support is pretty awful. when they were perenially ranked in the top 10 and they were the "cool" team to root for they sold out, but they average less than 50k since moving to the ACC. i'm not saying it's b/c of the move, they just haven't been any good.

Reaction Score
The only way fan support is ever going to grow is if we string together conference titles and become a consistent top 25 team. There's no point in looking around and wondering why a 4-5 team with no D1 history can't fill their stadium before kickoff.
UConn was D1 before there was before 1A and 1AA. That fob in my avatar represents that part of the program's history. We were a "mid major" back then. Only issue is people can't remember it.

Reaction Score
I'm there for kickoff, and I hate to be the one to say it, but...

... another beer is worth more than seeing the marching band.

I must with a smile disagree. From watching our marching band (one of the best around) pour onto the field to the national anthem is . . . well . . . there aren't enough brews for me to miss it. When they play the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" my eyes get moist.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
can't somebody create a fake youtube video for us?

use one of our basketball game crowds, maybe the BET 2011 championship game

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

I get that we should aspire to be like a Clemson, or like an SEC school, and I agree. But right now we aren't like them. Baby steps. Success and prestige don't come overnight. Look, the ACC knows we aren't Clemson yet, and may never be. The ACC knows what they'd be getting with us. We didn't get penalized because our pre-game atmosphere isn't on par with Clemson, because they don't expect it to be. We got penalized because it's not on par with Clemson, and for us to be their home-run conference addition, it needs to be. I'm not sure I make total sense. I know what I'm trying to say but hard to convey it.

I guess my point is they didn't look at us and say "we won't take UConn, because their pre-game isn't Clemson-esque." They looked at us and said "it's not a football powerhouse with name recognition and boatloads of tradition, s0 we don't need them [right now]."

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
UConn was D1 before there was before 1A and 1AA. That fob in my avatar represents that part of the program's history. We were a "mid major" back then. Only issue is people can't remember it.
No offense Butchy, but UConn Football history starts in 2002. Just like UConn Basketball history starts with the Dream Season. It's not meant in any way to disrespect the past, but we (fans of today) have no connection to any success attained prior.

Reaction Score
Wrong. Miami has empty stadium as well. First three get a great crowd, tho.

Reaction Score
You all really do get it. I'm not saying we're being dissed just because of our weak pre-game attendance, but here's what the pre-game issue calls into question. Do we want to be a big time program or not? For the "I'd rather have a beer" crowd, the answer is no. You may think you do but your priorities say no.
So what would it take? Saturated advertising? Better visiting teams? We've got a real problem here that needs to be addressed.
If it was broadcast every hour on every radio station in CT that if we filled the stadium by the time the band started pregame on Nov 19th, and if every seat was filled (no standing on the concourse), we would all get $100 in cash and an immediate invitation to the ACC, I bet we couldn't pull it off.
And that's our own freaking fault.

Reaction Score
Keep the 100, I will take the invite. Personally, I think we owe it to the guys on the team to be in our seats BEFORE they take the field. They sacrifice their bodies, it's the least we can do.

Reaction Score
I must with a smile disagree. From watching our marching band (one of the best around) pour onto the field to the national anthem is . . . well . . . there aren't enough brews for me to miss it. When they play the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" my eyes get moist.
I am a season ticket holder the last 6 years and past band parent so I agree with you 1000%. I tailgate 4 hours before game time and still in the stadium when the band goes in to see pregame and I am disappointed with the late arriving crowd. No reason why most should not be in at least for the national anthem. Our band has gotten great reviews from other teams fans at the bowl games. It will get better - time and winning will help. Also do not think it will affect an invite to the ACC

Reaction Score
No offense Butchy, but UConn Football history starts in 2002. Just like UConn Basketball history starts with the Dream Season. It's not meant in any way to disrespect the past, but we (fans of today) have no connection to any success attained prior.
Why would I be offended? There's history and there's fans. Most fans don't care for history unless it's about championships or some sort of award. (Ironically, that is an award in my avatar.) The "C" logo on the present helmet comes from the 1924 undefeated team. (Pardon the typos in my post. Messed up in editing.)

By the way, when I was going to school and they were 1AA, I still bothered to read about the team in the student newspaper.

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't have a football tradition yet. When we knock off enough of the big boys, get a top 10 ranking, win a BCS bowl game fannies will be in the seats because the tickets will be harder to get and thus, more precious, valuable, cherished. Hotter, more acrobatic cheerleaders might help. Give the folks something to show up early for. You have to make it so exciting that folks can't wait to get to their seats. It just isn't exciting enough........yet! But it can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom