No. 5 | The Boneyard

No. 5

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Which player is most likely to join Lou, Pheesa, Crystal and Z (assuming she returns) as the fifth player in the UConn starting lineup, next season?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I thought this thread was going to be about Crystal, since it referred to her uniform number.

Walker would have been my default assumption also for the 5th starter next year, but apparently we have increasing reason to doubt that. ("Waste of time" to elaborate?) So I guess the next most likely is Christyn Williams. That's not totally implausible -- perhaps her personality as a freshman will be more like Kia Nurse or Renee Montgomery than Gabby Williams or Tina Charles.

But if that turns out not to be the case, and considering that the opening would be for a 2 guard rather than for a front-court player, the spotlight would be on Molly Bent. I see progress in her game, although it does have a long way to go. I think what is holding her back is nerves and putting pressure on herself, rather than any lack of physical skill. As I watch her play (and this was particularly evident in the practice last week, where she was playing as many "minutes" as everyone else), she is faster than most of the team, strong for her size (as evidenced by the rebounds that she has gotten lately), and has excellent shooting form. I don't see any athletic deficiencies. And certainly she works hard and understands the offensive and defensive systems. In my eyes, she is a better athlete than Kyla Irwin by a significant margin. But Kyla is outperforming Molly now because she has a more relaxed personality and doesn't seem to put undue pressure on herself, so she can "just make plays".

If Molly can just "chill", I think she will do the job as 5th starter extremely capably.

Reaction Score
I will go with Williams. I think Walker will play a role as a 6th man who can come in rebound and shoot from distance. Williams will give the team another play maker, Uconn is starting 4 players who could get you atlest 5 assist in a game, so moving Williams into the starting line up will keep this going. Williams could also be the Player Uconn hasn’t had in years that Geno wants to see CD become, a player who can not only make plays for others, but make plays for herself as well.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well this question is hypothetical in that there's a whole summer off before next season. My HOPE is that Megan works her tail off over the summer and has a terrific sophomore leap. If, on the other hand, she stumbles and has really no measurable improvement, then I think Christyn Williams easily could be that 5th starter. But it's HARD for a freshman to earn a starting spot over other kids who are pretty darn good too so we will see.

Bottom line, IMHO it's Megan if she improves over the summer. If not, it's Christyn...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Walker at they the wing/SG position on the floor, plus she also rebounds very well.

Reaction Score
I think Touly is a candidate. Touly, Z, and Pheesa makes for a superior front-court. We loose Kia's outside shot, but Pheesa is getting a lot better, and Williams brings 3pt. power off the bench.. Touly will replace Kia's toughness. My second choice is Ezi (certainly she's coming to UConn). Ezi instead of Touly in the front-court. Given her exposure to Australia's pros, Ezi will be ready to give UConn a monster front-court. Wcbb will tremble. Megan can wipe out all this wild speculation if she makes a Crystal type leap.

Reaction Score
A new player with a transfer waiver...:D
I'm confused. I thought the question was about UConn, not Notre Dame. :)

Walker will be the 5th best player next year, but does that mean she starts? Who then plays the 2 guard, her or Lou?

And, much as I like Batouly, she only starts if Lou moves to 2 guard. Meg is such a good rebounder that on defense, at least, she can pretty much replicate Batouly, while on offense Meg might be able to play the 2, leaving Lou at the 3.

I've learned not to put anything past Lou, who can handle the ball well, but sometimes people are less effective playing out of their natural position: witness Kia at point when Crystal's on the bench.

I think the very long shot, but a really interesting one, is for Christyn to slide into the 2.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Which player is most likely to join Lou, Pheesa, Crystal and Z (assuming she returns) as the fifth player in the UConn starting lineup, next season?

Starters: Samuelson, Collier, Stevens. Dangerfield, Williams (if Geno wants to spread the floor, otherwise Camara is an option if a tough, aggressive post presence is needed)
Primary Subs: Camara, Irwin, Ono, Walker
Secondary Subs: Bent, Coombs, Gordon

Williams seems like a kid with fire in her belly and not entitled. Watching her high school videos I see a talented and skilled player and a real teammate.
Camara has shown flashes of a powerful force in the paint. (Maybe Camara will also be Stevens' Loscutoff.) If she stays healthy, I believe she will be a significant contributor to UCONN. You can see a bit of nasty in her eyes.:cool:
Irwin has improved and is really understanding her role. She can be very helpful contributor.
Ono must improve quickly. I think Geno will try to fast track her into the games. If she has a player's psyche, she will help. She needs to get as much game experience as possible next year, since in her sophomore year she will be the only big.
Walker ... well ... she needs to get Dangerfield's over the summer religion. Her body language and attitude just are not acceptable. I had watched high school videos of her and looked at her stats and wondered how she became the high school NPOY. Geno sees something so that is a good thing and I hope he is right again.

I hope the remaining three make some kind of amazing transformation.

It always looks good on paper then reality strikes. Many of us thought Geno would easily have at least 8 to 9 reliable players at this time in this season. But, no!

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Barring any unforeseen additions, I'm going with Camara. But the answer is whomever makes the biggest off season jump.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You are ALL WRONG! Ezi Magbegor (sp) will be the fifth starter. What do you think of that?

If Geno can pull off that coop, I would be ecstatic, and enthusiastically support THAT choice 100%. Short of that, I'm going Jim Fassel on you. I'm shoving all my chips to the center of the table and bet on Megan Walker. Come November, Geno won't be able to keep her off the floor. Gabby and Kia are going to leave a huge vacuum when they leave. Walker will be ready to fill some of that void. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Barring any unforeseen additions, I'm going with Camara. But the answer is whomever makes the biggest off season jump.

It's possible. Camara did start 15 games for Kentucky her freshman year. What do I know? :confused: I thought Stevens was going to start this season. I didn't see Crystal starting over Stevens. So, I'll just wait and see, but I like Walker and Stevens to fill the two vacancies in the starting rotation next season, with Camara as 6th man.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You are ALL WRONG! Ezi Magbegor (sp) will be the fifth starter. What do you think of that?

If Geno can pull that off, I'll drink to it. :)

Reaction Score
I would love to see Walker as a starter. I think if we land Magbegor... that she, Williams, and ONO will come off the bench for the first year... Then their Sophomore season with Lou, Phessa, and Stevens gone.... they would step up to the starting line up.

I really hope that Walkers figures this all out. She could still have an amazing career here. The only other person I can think of would be someone like a Kyla Irwin... start her for a few minutes then sub in for her....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom