No. 5 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No. 5

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sigh. Many of you guys here are tiring. So let's go back to the beginning of this year when many if not most were convinced Crystal would not be the PG for this year after a less than stellar freshman year. You know, the polls and stuff?

Okay let's not.

It seems many people here on the BY have never heard of or witnessed a sophomore leap and are anticipating that Walker will never have one. I mean we are talking about the #1 HS player from last year. What also puzzles me is how many think that somehow Williams will just step in on day one and without any Geno or big time college BB experience will supplant Walker. That somehow by some miracle Williams too won't have freshman issues. Crazy. I think more people here on the BY are becoming less observant and more prisoners of the moment day by day.

Reaction Score
I would love to see Walker as a starter. I think if we land Magbegor... that she, Williams, and ONO will come off the bench for the first year... Then their Sophomore season with Lou, Phessa, and Stevens gone.... they would step up to the starting line up.

I really hope that Walkers figures this all out. She could still have an amazing career here. The only other person I can think of would be someone like a Kyla Irwin... start her for a few minutes then sub in for her....

wow...........losing KLS, Napheesa and Azura seems even scarier then losing Gabby and Kia to me..............after next season, UConn basketball will really be in a transitional state...........Walker and Coombs and the two freshmen better make big strides next season or it could be a somewhat challenging situation.........

Reaction Score
Walker on a short leash with Chrystin in the wings. A Chong v. Nurse scenario. I really hope Walker matures over the summer and comes back a whole new player like Danger did this year. I'm convinced it's all between the ears with Walker.

Reaction Score
You are ALL WRONG! Ezi Magbegor (sp) will be the fifth starter. What do you think of that?
That would be interesting to say the least! Of course she would have to commit first. But in an ideal world, the fifth starter would be an excellent ball handling guard who could play good defense and score as needed.
Sort of like Kia Nurse during her freshman year.

Reaction Score
I expect it will be Meg... but my guess is no better than anyone elses. I am confident Geno will let us know... but maybe not until they lace the shoes up and take the floor for the first OOC Game in the fall. ;)

All the speculation on the BY is entertaining. :D We know that they need to replace:
- the 2 Guard (Kia).... could be Lou with Meg taking over at 3, ... could be Coombs... Not sure that it matters a lot in the UConn offensive scheme, and BUT, I don't believe it will be a freshman CW.
- the 5 (??) (Gabby) will be replaced by Z...that's almost a given. Front Line of Lou, Pheesa, and Z should be pretty dominant... yes we lose Gabby's athleticism, but Geno has NOT had a Gabby before, and UConn has still won 11 NCs.

First off the bench will likely depend on how the starters are playing, who is on fire and who is having trouble with their shot, who is picking up early fouls (Z??), who needs a rest.... first in could be any of Batouly, Coombs, Kyla, Molly... BUT, I believe this could be CW or Ono as the season goes along. It's all going to "work itself out"... and we, as fans, get to enjoy watching the Maestro (Geno) directing the Orchestra....and deal with all the "issues."

SO, How bout we return to the regularly schedule program...i.e., completion of the 2017/18 AAC Season, AAC Tournament, and National Championship Tournament and wait to see what happens...:cool::cool:

Just sayin'

Reaction Score
I do believe C. Williams will surprise though and be #7. She has a really maturity about her that this year's freshmen do not.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It’s gotta be Walker. UCONN players regularly go through a cycle of taking their first year to learn the ropes and learn the system before blossoming the next year. Happened for KLS, Collier, Stewart, Taurasi, Jefferson, Dangerfield etc. I’d expect more of the same from Walker.

From what I’ve read and seen regarding Williams, I expect her to have the normal freshman pains most players have coming through UCONN. Similar to Walker, Connecticut does not need big production from her to be successful, so I’d expect Geno to bring her on slowly. Same with ONO. I’d expect both to be regular rotation players by mid-end of season though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom