nitpicky about big east exodus language | The Boneyard

nitpicky about big east exodus language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I read the espn write up about today's game. The article mentioned that our last game against gtown was a double overtime loss in 13'. The article continued to say, the following year Connecticut left for the American and Georgetown stayed behind. It's trivial and an easy mistake to make, but we didn't leave. Georgetown and the rest of the Catholic schools left. As far as i am concerned we play in the original big east conference. We just sold the name. Anyways, its trivial...i know. Glad we got a win.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We knew this would happen when we sold the name, but we needed the cash.

Reaction Score
As far as i am concerned we play in the original big east conference. We just sold the name.

That's really what you think? The conference with Providence, SJU, Seton Hall, Georgetown, and Nova and the Big East name isn't the original but the conference with UCONN and a dozen random teams is?

Reaction Score
That's really what you think? The conference with Providence, SJU, Seton Hall, Georgetown, and Nova and the Big East name isn't the original but the conference with UCONN and a dozen random teams is?

Huh? This isn't a matter of opinion -- it's a fact. The Catholic schools left, formed their own conference and paid the Big EAst Conference of UConn, Cincy and USF for the name.

You think you get to make up your own facts because they make you feel better?

Reaction Score

So, you're telling us that UConn, Cincy, and company decided to leave? That's the reinvented timeline?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
You're right. The AAC is definitely not the Big East.

But the conference that purchased that name is not the Big East either.

Reaction Score
Look at the wiki page for The American and The Big East conference. Both discuss the realignment and the old Big East. But only The American wiki page says established in 1979. The current Big East wiki page says established in 2013.

The HQ of the old Big East and The American is Providence. The HQ of the current Big East is New York City.

The last commish of the old Big East was Michael Aresco. The commish of The American is also Aresco.

The old Big East and The American are the same.

Reaction Score
The Money for selling the Big East name was nice & helps us offset the lousy AAC$ but in hindsight wishing we had held onto the rights, not used the name & let the Big East name R.I.P. The Big East ceased to exist without UConn & Cuse and to a lesser extent Pitt & WV, although WV carried the BE in football.....have respect for what it was as it will never be The Big East again.

Reaction Score
Look at the wiki page for The American and The Big East conference. Both discuss the realignment and the old Big East. But only The American wiki page says established in 1979. The current Big East wiki page says established in 2013.

The HQ of the old Big East and The American is Providence. The HQ of the current Big East is New York City.

The last commish of the old Big East was Michael Aresco. The commish of The American is also Aresco.

The old Big East and The American are the same.

I understand the legal semantics of it but I think the conference with the name and several original members is a little more authentic.

Reaction Score
I understand the legal semantics of it but I think the conference with the name and several original members is a little more authentic.
The current Big East is like New Coke....it's still Coke but it's not the Original. Enjoy the name, no hard feelings....UConn chose football as a path for survival, I think we made the right choice....hopefully we find out sooner than later.

Reaction Score
Every time UConn, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Cincy & WVU take down one of the current Big Least schools in hoops it reinforces the fact that the Big East died the day the AAC was born. (duck BC they sucked the last 15 years or so in the league)

Reaction Score
Every time UConn, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Cincy & WVU take down one of the current Big Least schools in hoops it reinforces the fact that the Big East died the day the AAC was born. (duck BC they sucked the last 15 years or so in the league)

Louisville, WVU, Cincy? That's the real Big East to you?

It's a cool sentiment tho....if Georgetown didn't beat Syracuse this year....if St. John's (hello) didn't beat Syracuse this year....if Cincy didn't lose to Xavier every year.....it'd be cool

Reaction Score
Louisville, WVU, Cincy? That's the real Big East to you?

Yeah, a hell of a lot more than Creighton, Depaul, Marquette, Seton Hall(what a joke they have been for 20+ years) and Providence (who never stood a chance once Calhoun took over at UConn). And St. Johns??? Last place in a watered down league still desperately clinging to a history any of them barely get a footnote in. Exception for G-Town. They had some awesome teams over the years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, a hell of a lot more than Creighton, Depaul, Marquette, Seton Hall(what a joke they have been for 20+ years) and Providence (who never stood a chance once Calhoun took over at UConn). And St. Johns??? Last place in a watered down league still desperately clinging to a history any of them barely get a footnote in.

Ah ok, just wanted to see what I was dealing with here.

Reaction Score

UConn did not leave for another conference. Full stop.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I could pay Alex Trebek for the use of his name and he could then use another, but I still wouldn't be Alex Trebek, even I started hosting Jeopardy.

Reaction Score
They should have.

Yeah, they only have this to console them.

aaaaaa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3