NIT Yet To Be Earned | The Boneyard

NIT Yet To Be Earned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agree that a run in the NIT would be good experience for this team. But you have to earn your way into the
NIT, and this team has not yet done so. UConn is 6th in the AAC. Even if the NCAA takes SMU and one other from the conference, that leaves three NIT hopefuls ahead of UConn. Beating Tulane and E. Carolina won't get them into the NIT. At very least, they need to establish themselves over Memphis by beating them at home and outlasting them in the AAC tournament. Even then it might take another win over the Top 4.

Boat keeps saying that he didn't come back to play in the NIT. Unless they spring a surprise over somebody, he might get his wish.

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter. I really don't think this team could win the NIT and I'd rather not see us get embarrassed like Kentucky did in 2013 against Robert Morris.

American tourney champs or bust at this point.

Reaction Score
First, if UConn finishes 1 game over .500, the NIT would throw the reigning champs the red carpet. So they will be in if they want it. Conversely, the NIT is more a spring board for a mid major, a high major with little to no postseason history, and those respective fan bases. Rarely, do blue bloods play hard, especially following a final four run. If UConn accepts, I expect a no show from these players.

Reaction Score
This team now needs to treat the AAC Tourney as its only post season, and worry about the 'aftermath' later. Just play each Tourney game like its the last of the season (which could be true), and give us fans at least the an enjoyment of a post game atmosphere. NCAA or NIT not a sure thing by any means but the AAC Tourney is.

To me its not sad or frustrating, its just our current state and I have finally accepted it.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The NIT kind of loses its appeal after your 2nd national championship.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I hope our players take the NIT seriously assuming we're in it (which, sadly, I expect them to be). Another week or two and a few more games for Ollie to coach up this young team will be very beneficial for next year.

Reaction Score
While I expect our players to want to play, I don't think they will be enthusiastic about it nor will most of us. With what our NCAA record has been, not having UCONN make the tourney is akin to ripping a piece of your guts out as you watch the sports announcers fawn over KY and Duke. Getting to the sweet 16 preserves the buildup to and half the tourney so instead we get to think about whether we can survive a mid major?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
While I expect our players to want to play, I don't think they will be enthusiastic about it nor will most of us. With what our NCAA record has been, not having UCONN make the tourney is akin to ripping a piece of your guts out as you watch the sports announcers fawn over KY and Duke. Getting to the sweet 16 preserves the buildup to and half the tourney so instead we get to think about whether we can survive a mid major?

Try to think of it like losing in San Antonio in 2003. The sting from that helped fuel a national championship next year. Not saying we're winning the national title next year, but a few extra games against fairly good teams can only help this young squad, especially if they start to put things together in the AAC Tournament.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I just got a 10-minute lecture from my wife (Pitt alum) on how spoiled we UConn fans are. To which I simply replied, "Hey, you've had the Steelers all your life, I had the Jets. You think I don't understand?"

Yeah, I'm a Mets/Cowboys fan (who was too young to enjoy the Super Bowls) so I know what you mean. When UConn sucks, I'm a miserable bastard because I know my other teams aren't going to bring me any joy.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
I don't know why we're talking about the NIT when we're going to be dancing!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Try to think of it like losing in San Antonio in 2003. The sting from that helped fuel a national championship next year. Not saying we're winning the national title next year, but a few extra games against fairly good teams can only help this young squad, especially if they start to put things together in the AAC Tournament.

I think perhaps a closer parallel might be the 1997 NIT. The regular season was a big disappointment, the team lost it's last 5 and 11 out 14. I recall there was some sentiment to forgoing the NIT and just putting an end to the misery (I believe our boy Jacobs wrote a column saying as much). Luckily, the team entered the tourney and won 4 out of 5. They played well and ended the season on a high that carried over to a Final 8 run the next year and the NC the year after that.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think perhaps a closer parallel might be the 1997 NIT. The regular season was a big disappointment, the team lost it's last 5 and 11 out 14. I recall there was some sentiment to forgoing the NIT and just putting an end to the misery (I believe our boy Jacobs wrote a column saying as much). Luckily, the team entered the tourney and won 4 out of 5. They played well and ended the season on a high that carried over to a Final 8 run the next year and the NC the year after that.

As frustrating as it may be to watch, playing extra games is always going to be beneficial.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
As frustrating as it may be to watch, playing extra games is always going to be beneficial.
Lot of good posts. OP may be wrong about his assessment but don't see how Fishy see's him as a troll

Scenarios from best to worst imo.

Win the AAC tournament and get past at least the first round in the NCAA because the team finally starts putting it together.
Lose the AAC tournament and make a deep run or win the NIT playing with inspiration.
No post season.
Winning the AAC tournament and getting embarrassed in the first round of the NCAA.
Not winning the AAC tournament, accepting an NIT bid and going out quickly playing uninspired bb.

I'd go for any of the first three but not the last two. Want as minimal a negative carry over into next season as possible.

Reaction Score
Is it possible you're wrong about the trolling part?
I think people with less than 10 posts automatically appear as trolls but he makes a good point. Everyone seems to think the NIT is an automatic thing if you don't make the NCAA Tourney. The way this team has been playing, it's very plausible they don't make the NIT. In 2009-10 I just wanted the season to end already because the team played with no heart whatsoever. With Boat, I hope we get to see many more games out of this team.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
In the old days we would've been an automatic for the NIT if we were over .500. It used to be a lot looser. In '97, we were bad, and yet got three home games because they knew we'd fill some seats. They tightened things up, though, and that's how the '07 team got kept out.
I am not convinced we're definitely in, to be honest. They have a lot of NIT spots to fill with conference regular season champions that don't make the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
What we had on the 97 team talent and potential wise was way ahead of what we have now. Great frosh and sophomore's and watching that team grow throughout the year and get better as the season went on you could see it happening right in front of you. Felt the future was looking good for us and with confidence that I just don't feel with what we have now. We do have talent and something to work with but not as much as we thought going back to the summer. I'm just not seeing or feeling it with this team and I do hope I am very wrong.

Reaction Score
Lot of good posts. OP may be wrong about his assessment but don't see how Fishy see's him as a troll

Win the AAC tournament and get past at least the first round in the NCAA because the team finally starts putting it together.
Lose the AAC tournament and make a deep run or win the NIT playing with inspiration.
No post season.
Winning the AAC tournament and getting embarrassed in the first round of the NCAA.
Not winning the AAC tournament, accepting an NIT bid and going out quickly playing uninspired bb.

I'd go for any of the first three but not the last two. Want as minimal a negative carry over into next season as possible.

Disagree. Making the NCAAT is always better than missing it, for reasons of pride/prestige if nothing else.

Also, winning the AACT, even if they lose by 20 in the 5-12 game, confers more positive momentum than could be erased by a blowout loss in the Tournament.

Reaction Score

No post season.

I disagree strongly that winning the AAC tournament would be a negative outcome, even if we did get thumped in our round of 64 game. Teams get blown out in the tournament all the time - if we lose by fifteen to say, Oklahoma, I won't be too discouraged. There is plenty to be gained by playing and beating quality opponents like Cincinnati, Temple, and SMU.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Making the dance is never a negative. That "2015" added to the Gampel display will be there long after any "negative carry over" has dissipated.

Reaction Score
Every so often, we fans look back and count the number of seasons since 1990 that UConn hasn't qualified for the NCAAT. It'd be nice if we didn't have to add 2015 to that list, so I'm hoping for an AAC Tourney championship, even if we're a one-and-done.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You would take losing in the first round of the NCAAT to winning the NIT.

This is UConn Basketball people and it's 2015 not 1988.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
I'm fine with the NIT " if " we get picked but KO has to decline/ refuse the CBI tourney if it comes to that. There has to be some level of standards and dignity
Maintained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC