NIT Yet To Be Earned | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NIT Yet To Be Earned

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Disagree. Making the NCAAT is always better than missing it, for reasons of pride/prestige if nothing else.

Also, winning the AACT, even if they lose by 20 in the 5-12 game, confers more positive momentum than could be erased by a blowout loss in the Tournament.
I disagree strongly that winning the AAC tournament would be a negative outcome, even if we did get thumped in our round of 64 game. Teams get blown out in the tournament all the time - if we lose by fifteen to say, Oklahoma, I won't be too discouraged. There is plenty to be gained by playing and beating quality opponents like Cincinnati, Temple, and SMU.
Making the dance is never a negative. That "2015" added to the Gampel display will be there long after any "negative carry over" has dissipated.
I totally disagree with myself and totally agree with you guys! What the heck was I thinking?!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm fine with the NIT " if " we get picked but KO has to decline/ refuse the CBI tourney if it comes to that. There has to be some level of standards and dignity
Maintained.

If KO thinks there are goals to be achieved by competing in the CBI, then I'm on KO's side there.

In 2012 Pitt went, despite howls from the fanbase. It was Dixon's first time not making the Dance. But they were mostly freshmen and Dixon felt it would be worthwhile. UConn isn't in that situation - but it might not hurt to get some of the returning guys more time against some decent non-P5 teams. Besides, if UConn decides to host the thing, there's probably money in it.

Since we never had to think about the CBI before, here's how it works:
http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/pitt/s_786191.html#axzz3SPtzqkp0

Reaction Score
Disagree. Making the NCAAT is always better than missing it, for reasons of pride/prestige if nothing else.

Pride and prestige is for message board posters. Getting thumped in the first round of the NCAA tournament by a mid-major is not a better outcome than potentially winning 4 or 5 straight in the NIT (and I'm not saying this is going to, or even could, happen) and creating some positive momentum for the guys coming back next year.

And I think Fleud's post about potential outcomes is missing one possible scenario, which is missing the NIT altogether. I can't keep track of all the slapd__ck post-season tournaments that now exist, but the notion that UConn's a lock for the NIT if they don't win the AAC tournament is, I think, misplaced.

Reaction Score
The OP is a trolling idiot.
Fishy, your "trolling idiot" was 13 years old the night in 1954 when he sat with his ear glued to the radio listening to George Ehrlich call UConn's astounding upset win over #4 ranked Holy Cross. Have witnessed 200 games in person since then. My post was straight out of Psych 101 -- calling attention to the wart on one's nose before somebody else does. The idea that UConn is a lock for the NIT is a delusion born of its past success and has nothing to do with what it has actually accomplished this year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Fishy, your "trolling idiot" was 13 years old the night in 1954 when he sat with his ear glued to the radio listening to George Ehrlich call UConn's astounding upset win over #4 ranked Holy Cross. Have witnessed 200 games in person since then. My post was straight out of Psych 101 -- calling attention to the wart on one's nose before somebody else does. The idea that UConn is a lock for the NIT is a delusion born of its past success and has nothing to do with what it has actually accomplished this year.
I had your back.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
If KO thinks there are goals to be achieved by competing in the CBI, then I'm on KO's side there.

In 2012 Pitt went, despite howls from the fanbase. It was Dixon's first time not making the Dance. But they were mostly freshmen and Dixon felt it would be worthwhile. UConn isn't in that situation - but it might not hurt to get some of the returning guys more time against some decent non-P5 teams. Besides, if UConn decides to host the thing, there's probably money in it.

Since we never had to think about the CBI before, here's how it works:
http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/pitt/s_786191.html#axzz3SPtzqkp0
Good points and yes , if there's a profit to be earned Uconn will participate , but its a painful low ( especially for Boat).

Reaction Score
Pride and prestige is for message board posters. Getting thumped in the first round of the NCAA tournament by a mid-major is not a better outcome than potentially winning 4 or 5 straight in the NIT (and I'm not saying this is going to, or even could, happen) and creating some positive momentum for the guys coming back next year.

Wouldn't winning 3 (or, at the rate we're going, 4) games in a row to win the AACT accomplish the same thing, if not more?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Well then shouldn't you understand that the NIT likes to sell tickets to their Final Four?

If UConn qualifies by record they get an NIT bid.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Well then shouldn't you understand that the NIT likes to sell tickets to their Final Four?

If UConn qualifies by record they get an NIT bid.
You'd think, but we qualified in 2007 and didn't get invited.

Reaction Score
First, if UConn finishes 1 game over .500, the NIT would throw the reigning champs the red carpet. So they will be in if they want it. Conversely, the NIT is more a spring board for a mid major, a high major with little to no postseason history, and those respective fan bases. Rarely, do blue bloods play hard, especially following a final four run. If UConn accepts, I expect a no show from these players.
We've pretty much been getting a no show all year.

Reaction Score
Why not play in the NIT. It gives this team more games to play together considering this whole team minus Boat will be back. Learn to play in do or die games. Also the final is in MSG. The NIT always has good teams. Who cares about it being below our "Standards". I love watching UConn even if they played a high school team in June or July.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't winning 3 (or, at the rate we're going, 4) games in a row to win the AACT accomplish the same thing, if not more?

It would accomplish "more" than winning a post-season tournament? I'm not sure how.

I'll be honest, maybe I'm predisposed to regard your posts a certain way because of your crushing, insufferable, relentless complaining.

Reaction Score
If we don't win the AAC tourney, I'd gladly take a spot in the NIT. Extra tournament games for a young team is good as we look towards to the 2015-2016 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom