NIT Games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NIT Games

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Seton Hal lost by a point. 65-64, I think.

MJ1

Reaction Score
Make no mistake, the Big East will be judged on what the 5 teams in the NCAA tournament do not the NIT.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Sitting out of an NIT game due to legitimate injury and sitting out to protect draft status are two totally different scenarios, but the timing of Whitmore's injury seems convenient.

Reaction Score
So are you saying you are talking what they told the announcer or whoever at face value? LOL.

They might genuinely be hurt, but to what extent?

Are you also saying or implying that these two wouldn't have played if the game was in the NCAA tournament? Surely you don't believe that.

Ryan Boatright in 2015 had some sort of injury, and he was hurt, how bad I don't know. But we all know if UConn was in the NCAA tournament instead of the NIT he would've played more than likely or tried harder to play. I don't knock Boatright because he already won a title and wanted to heal and prepare for the draft.
I guess that when I wrote "Damn Liars!!!" you and @CaptainRon weren't able to figure out that it was tongue in cheek. But, I am curious as to where you heard that the players "chose" not to play? Are you a mind reader or do you have a connection within the Villanova program? Has to be one or the other, unless it's pure speculation.

pj

Reaction Score
Seton Hal lost by a point. 65-64, I think.

Seton Hall outperformed its KenPom prediction by 4 points and Villanova played precisely to its Kenpom prediction despite having two top players sit the game out.

On performance metrics, not a bad look for the Big East at all.

Reaction Score
Yale picked a bad day to have their worst shooting night of the year, but in honor of their season, today I wrote up a way too early preview of their 23-24 season on the blog.

As one of the least experienced teams in D1 this year, the Bulldogs are poised to return four starters and add a top recruit who had offers from Houston, Texas, TCU, Texas A&M, TCU and others.

Reaction Score
Yale picked a bad day to have their worst shooting night of the year, but in honor of their season, today I wrote up a way too early preview of their 23-24 season on the blog.

As one of the least experienced teams in D1 this year, the Bulldogs are poised to return four starters and add a top recruit who had offers from Houston, Texas, TCU, Texas A&M, TCU and others.
Trevor Mullin from St. Sebastian's in Mass is also going to Yale next year. I like his game. Hard-nosed, 6'0" PG who puts pressure on the rim every possession. They should be a real player in the Ivy as long as Jones is there

Reaction Score
Although it pains me to say this, perhaps North Carolina got it right. If your heart isn’t into it, stay home.
I think that was as much of a “no confidence” vote in Hubert Davis as it was a decision not to play in the NIT. UNC was ranked almost dead last in bench minutes this year. That starting five was fried, and the bench raised a collective middle finger towards Davis.

Expect a lot of UNC players to be leaving via the portal in the next month.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Seton Hall outperformed its KenPom prediction by 4 points and Villanova played precisely to its Kenpom prediction despite having two top players sit the game out.

On performance metrics, not a bad look for the Big East at all.
You looking to be in the Boneyards NIT math nerd bracket!

This is the way! I have spoken!

Reaction Score

Might as well have ChatGPT decide who should advance and not even play the games. That way no one gets hurt!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Like it or not college sports have changed forever. I don't like it but I love college sports so I'll learn to put up with it. @nelsonmuntz do you think a pro GM cares that those two skipped the game? Their decision has nothing to do with attitude. It's a business decision. Imagine the Boneyard response if one of those guys got hurt in an NIT game. If I were a Nova fan I'd be bummed they didn't play but I wouldn't be pissed because there is no more "win one for the Gipper" in college sports anymore. @gtcam Nova accepted the invite and went out and played. Why should the team decline the invitation because some players chose not to play?

Why does an NBA GM care about an NCAA game any more than an NIT game? By your logic, no player should play any game.

An NBA Scout wants to see players play, and those two cowards ducked out. Also, do the players decide which games are important and which games aren't? Is that how they will play in the NBA?

If some NBA GM thinks that one of those two will be a future all-star, then he won't care what games they play in. But 90% of the players who are drafted and actually make their teams will not be superstars. Those players are going to have to work their butts off to be effective at the next level, and skipping games is a sign those players don't want to work.

Would you hire someone that skips work when they don't think anything important is going to happen?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

I came here to post 2 other things, but loved the post you've quoted. I wanted to give it the laugh emoji, not to make fun of @pj,but because it so wonderfully fit what you wrote.

I enjoyed the end of Morehead State beating Clemson on the road: so much for Clemson getting screwed out of an NCAA Tourney bid even though they beat NC State 3 times, I suppose.

And then I saw that New Mexico, seeded 3rd, was down 15 in the first half hosting Utah Valley. Remember, New Mexico was the NCAA Division 1's final undefeated team this year. THEIR 14-0 start last until January 3rd. At one point they had the full US territory map painted red, having beaten out Purdue, who had lost the prior day to Rutgers, who lost to Hofstra yesterday in the NIT. It'll be interesting to see if they can come back in the second half, but, wait, there's a more.

In the beginning of their season, UNM beat St. Mary's 69-65 at St. Mary's in November, and Iona 82-74 at home in Albuquerque in December. Both are in the West Regional with UConn. And yes, in that December game, Richard Pitino defeated his dad Rick Pitino.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
The NIT - a way to get through Tuesday and Wednesday night before the real tournament starts.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Why does an NBA GM care about an NCAA game any more than an NIT game? By your logic, no player should play any game.

An NBA Scout wants to see players play, and those two cowards ducked out. Also, do the players decide which games are important and which games aren't? Is that how they will play in the NBA?

If some NBA GM thinks that one of those two will be a future all-star, then he won't care what games they play in. But 90% of the players who are drafted and actually make their teams will not be superstars. Those players are going to have to work their butts off to be effective at the next level, and skipping games is a sign those players don't want to work.

Would you hire someone that skips work when they don't think anything important is going to happen?
In this instance, I love what you've called "logic" and then attributed to somebody else. You exhibit the grace of a danseur.

I hope @QDOG5 admires your flights of fancy and sees no need to dispute them. You must have had fun thinking them up. I'd hate to think that you really believe what you wrote. Please don't contradict me. Just accept my compliment for you being so entertaining. Thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom