Nil needs cap/ much more regulation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nil needs cap/ much more regulation

Reaction Score
THIS .

This is something the NCAA DOES have control over. The Portal and NIL becoming a thing at the same time caused 80% of this. Too much change at once. Since the NCAA has no say in NIL they should've held off on the Portal nonsense.

BINGO…. Dead on.. this post says it all.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yeah, the portal is bad....because while coaches can portal at will...kids needs to be staked to a certain program to finish their sentence.

Reality - the portal is fine. Just need to have two windows a year to corral it to managed space in the calendar....otherwise its fair and right as it is.

A series of basically one year contracts is all that the coaches provide, the players really shouldn't have different deal.

Reaction Score
Nobody remember anything about college basketball except who won the last national championship. Usually that isn’t a team with a bunch of 5 star freshmen. Donors/boosters are going to give out money and in the next few years most of them will realize it’s not going to lead to championships. Some will still do it anyway, others will be more careful.
This post just made me think of something. It seems possible that a new metric gets attached to coaches/programs. Something like wins per $1000 donated. Or championships per $1000 donated. I'm sure the boosters wouldn't mind this data. Knowing what their $$ is getting them.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Stanford is not a town.

And where precisely in Stamford should we play? UBS trading floor?
WWE is in there now. But it’s certainly big enough and right by the train station. Get some bleachers in there!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
For those of you completely talking out your butt, every single market in the world is regulated. The US stock market is one of the most heavily regulated markets in the world, and the investor community loves it and sends us about a trillion dollars a year, which basically funds America's very high standard of living. I am not an expert on it, but I imagine Sudan's stock market probably doesn't have a lot of rules. Anyone interested in investing in it?

A market needs rules to get people to participate in it. If they turn NIL into a total free-for-all, it will actually be bad for the majority of athletes.

Rules that I think would be good:

1) Athletes should have to disclose NIL arrangements, and their should be compliance. I would be shocked if there is not already point-shaving going on. What is to stop a local car dealer from paying a player $20,000 "legally", but letting him know to keep it within the point spread when they play some directional buy-game team? Disclosing the arrangements would make it easier to track illegal activity.
2) Athletes get 1 no-sit transfer, and that is it. Any exceptions should be extreme circumstances, and maybe put a nationwide cap on the number. This will stop the free agency. Even the pros have multi-year contracts, but college players are entering the portal during the season because they are getting a better offer somewhere else.

Rules that I don't like:

1) I am not in favor of a cap on NIL.
2) I don't like the free move if the coach leaves. This lets coaches blackmail schools by threatening to blow up the whole program. Coaches get paid enough, no need to give them more leverage.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I don't think schools should be offering any money. They should explain the structure in place to help student athletes attain NIL contracts and they can show how other athletes have done...and that's it. At no point should Hurley or Self or any other coach be offering $ amounts or guaranteeing a certain level. Boosters should not be allowed to interact with prospective student athletes.
Athletes get 1 free move. That's it, no exceptions. Adding exceptions invites gray area and eventually lawsuits. Use it wisely.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
For those of you completely talking out your butt, every single market in the world is regulated. The US stock market is one of the most heavily regulated markets in the world, and the investor community loves it and sends us about a trillion dollars a year, which basically funds America's very high standard of living. I am not an expert on it, but I imagine Sudan's stock market probably doesn't have a lot of rules. Anyone interested in investing in it?

A market needs rules to get people to participate in it. If they turn NIL into a total free-for-all, it will actually be bad for the majority of athletes.

1) Athletes should have to disclose NIL arrangements, and their should be compliance. I would be shocked if there is not already point-shaving going on. What is to stop a local car dealer from paying a player $20,000 "legally", but letting him know to keep it within the point spread when they play some directional buy-game team? Disclosing the arrangements would make it easier to track illegal activity.
2) Athletes get 1 no-sit transfer, and that is it. Any exceptions should be extreme circumstances, and maybe put a nationwide cap on the number. This will stop the free agency. Even the pros have multi-year contracts, but college players are entering the portal during the season because they are getting a better offer somewhere else.

Rules that I don't like:

2) I don't like the free move if the coach leaves. This lets coaches blackmail schools by threatening to blow up the whole program. Coaches get paid enough, no need to give them more leverage.

So we feel bad for the multimillion dollars basketball programs being held hostage but not the 18 year old kids who committed to play for someone who is bouncing.

Got it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Rules that I don't like:

Hard to argue any of this.

There should be fill disclosure on NIL, not only what each student athlete receives but also the sources and how it was earned. Transparency is never a bad thing. With this, a mechanism for guaranteeing an NIL amount should require some scrutiny. If it us a gift to the student athlete there should be restrictions on how much can be gifted and how many can receive gifts in any given athletic/academic year.

As far as no sit transfer, there should be one and only one per student athlete regardless. The players will be a bit more discriminatory about moving if this is the case. I also would not permit a not sit transfer if he's following a coach from one school to another. A coach moving on (which is within his right) is one thing. Bringing the cream of his former employer's crop with him is another thing entirely.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So we feel bad for the multimillion dollars basketball programs being held hostage but not the 18 year old kids who committed to play for someone who is bouncing.

Got it.
Maybe save your one transfer for that situation. No kid should be playing for 3 schools during 4 years of eligibility.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Got it.

Each player is committing to the coach, the school, and the other players on the team, not just the coach.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
WWE is in there now. But it’s certainly big enough and right by the train station. Get some bleachers in there!
The more I think about it, no worse a setup than the Bahamas or Cancun. Just needs a catchy title. Maybe “Halfway Crooks Invitational”?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
1) Athletes should have to disclose NIL arrangements, and their should be compliance.
Why? Because you say so? I mean I get your points and don't "necessarily" disagree, but all this came to bear out of an anti-trust suit. You want to try step one without violating the terms of that ruling?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My immediate reaction is to support the players over anything else. Why should any student be restricted from going to a university offering that student a better opportunity. Shouldn't an athlete have an opportunity to get the most out of his or her educational opportunity? And yes sports particularly with these new changes offers an opportunity like never before. It's not like college degrees has put every graduate in a position as good as some of these college athletes are finding themselves in.

Disaster? Define it please. Who is getting hurt from these changes? The fans? Alumni? The Universities? Well if that happens this system will self correct. It's way to early to predict the outcome. It's just as possible a football powerhouse such as Alabama can have it's program sabotaged by a collective attempt from boosters at different programs around the country choosing to target several of the Alabama players as it is for lower tier schools ending up with their programs becoming even more irrelevant. Well one could dream.

If there is to be some sort of attempt to regulate things I'd prefer a program cap. Every program would have a maximum number of transfer portal players they can get over some established period and if that number is exceeded they start losing scholarships. That number would be applied to coaches as well so a coach moving to another school would have some restriction put on the new school if he exceeds the number of transfers at both programs in that time frame.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why? Because you say so? I mean I get your points and don't "necessarily" disagree, but all this came to bear out of an anti-trust suit. You want to try step one without violating the terms of that ruling?

The only anti-trust ruling was that the NCAA could not prevent players from getting paid for the use of their own name, image and likeness. It did not say anything about preventing reasonable regulation of NIL.

I am confident that no court would stand in the way of transparency of NIL. Otherwise, boosters of one team could pay players of another team to throw games, without any consequences.

Reaction Score
The only anti-trust ruling was that the NCAA could not prevent players from getting paid for the use of their own name, image and likeness. It did not say anything about preventing reasonable regulation of NIL.

I am confident that no court would stand in the way of transparency of NIL. Otherwise, boosters of one team could pay players of another team to throw games, without any consequences.
Throwing games is a crime punishable by jail time no?

Reaction Score
Because each state has passed their own laws the NCAA is asking Congress to take the challenge of correcting this mess and making it a uniform law across all states.
Are there laws in some states preventing players from capitalizing on NIL? I'm confused why there needs to be a law allowing something that has never been prohibited.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Are there laws in some states preventing players from capitalizing on NIL? I'm confused why there needs to be a law allowing something that has never been prohibited.
I don't remember the details but there was some law/rule in Connecticut that had to be tweaked when this started because we would have been at a serious disadvantage if it wasn't altered.

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
I said they should reinstitute the 1 year transfer rule. The NCAA has control over that. I didn't say anything about capping their NIL deals. The NCAA has no control over that. I also don't have any issue with NIL.
I think its in the students best interest to not sit out. This is about the kids I would like to think. Everyone has to play by the same rules. We can make rules that make sense. A kid isnt happy and wants to go somewhere...they should be able to go, make that choice and not be penalized for it in my opinion. If you put yourself back in those shoes, I think reasonable people could agree that sitting a year isnt in their best interest. (America!)

Reaction Score
In a pure NIL system company X would want to pay player Y $50k to appear in a series of local commercials in CT, they are free to do that and the player is free to make that money. Or player Y in partnership with the school pumps our T-shirts and hoodies with the players likeness on it.
Instead you have players being promised deals based on their commitment. Hunter Dickinson for example is currently shopping himself around to the highest bidder.

Can anyone even explain what one of these collectives does or how it pays the players? If I donate money to the bleeding blue for good collective how does that work getting to the players? All seems just as shady as the sneaker reps and bag droppers of the old days.

Reaction Score
Each college should have a capping mechanism or it’s gonna turn into a disaster area quick. The ncaa is asking for trouble without very reasonable regulation. I’m sure kids like UConn but if Bentley college offers me 1 million— why wouldn’t I think of my family first? I don’t think we can have that— make sure kids have some additional financial opportunity but if it’s a free market system— what stops a Kentucky from paying 4 million. 5 million etc. can’t be who has more. It will mess up college sports
IMO true all of that....

Reaction Score
I think its in the students best interest to not sit out. This is about the kids I would like to think. Everyone has to play by the same rules. We can make rules that make sense. A kid isnt happy and wants to go somewhere...they should be able to go, make that choice and not be penalized for it in my opinion. If you put yourself back in those shoes, I think reasonable people could agree that sitting a year isnt in their best interest. (America!)

I certainly was never going to make NIL money but I played high level D-1 athletics and I also think I'm a reasonable person. Maybe it is not in the best interest of some individuals but my point is that on the whole, I think this is better for the collective by trying to save the very product that the players can now make money off of.

And let's not act like American workers are free. We have contracts, non-competes, confidentiality agreements. Hell, my last bonus can be clawed back for multiple reasons. With NIL, these guys are now closer to professionals than traditional amateur student-athletes, I have nothing against holding them to some higher standards.

I'm totally cool with grad-transfers not sitting and also cool with letting kids play somewhere else right away if their coach leaves. If a guy wants to switch majors and his current school doesn't offer it, let him go before an NCAA committee to appeal. But yeah, if a kid wants to transfer for playing time or for more NIL money, let them sit a year. I personally don't think that is unreasonable.

Reaction Score
I certainly was never going to make NIL money but I played high level D-1 athletics and I also think I'm a reasonable person. Maybe it is not in the best interest of some individuals but my point is that on the whole, I think this is better for the collective by trying to save the very product that the players can now make money off of.

And let's not act like American workers are free. We have contracts, non-competes, confidentiality agreements. Hell, my last bonus can be clawed back for multiple reasons. With NIL, these guys are now closer to professionals than traditional amateur student-athletes, I have nothing against holding them to some higher standards.

I'm totally cool with grad-transfers not sitting and also cool with letting kids play somewhere else right away if their coach leaves. If a guy wants to switch majors and his current school doesn't offer it, let him go before an NCAA committee to appeal. But yeah, if a kid wants to transfer for playing time or for more NIL money, let them sit a year. I personally don't think that is unreasonable.
I think current system is working pretty well but certainly can be improved.

First, i think the product is better because student athletes can stay longer if they are not ready and still make good money. Wong and tsiebewe for example.

Second, ncaa is a horrible corrupt organization and less power their is a positive. Unc no classes for decades, no penalties. Bill self a massive cheater caught on fbi tapes = lifetime contract. Hate calhoun, create bogus apr penalties. But not the historic black schools.

Many good points in this thread but also allows a school to turn programs around quickly.

First hand example of how this helps the kids. Good friend of mine was d1 kicker for ga southern as walk on for 2 years. Was promised scholarship this year after crushing it last year. School signed too many players in portal and did not honor scholarship. Kid hit portal and will kick for memphis this coming year and received 40k nil deal.

Also remember uconn has 4 championships without portal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom