NIL issues | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NIL issues

Reaction Score
The president of the NCAA lashed out at "evidence of dysfunction in today's NIL environment" while reiterating his desire to see Congress create national guidelines to shape so-called name, image and likeness endorsement deals that are reshaping college sports.

Dysfunction? You don't say?! I know a lot of this is because of the courts but it seems only the NCAA could ---- something up so badly.

Reaction Score
This happens all the time. Coaches throw numbers out there that a recruit wants to hear. Many of them don’t see anything close to what is promised. I am just shocked it’s taken this long for an athlete to push back. Good for him. I don’t know anything about the situation, but even with that, I would comfortably bet the coach at unlv promised 100k.

Reaction Score
I still wonder how a 20 year old football senior whose assignment is to block, feels about a freshman coming into school driving a Mercedes Benz, and expects you to help him secure more. Or a Junior with an uncertain future sees a freshman kid walk in to first team practice having already earned a years salary.

I originally thought the NIL money would be pooled into a pot for all to share.

Reaction Score
I still wonder how a 20 year old football senior whose assignment is to block, feels about a freshman coming into school driving a Mercedes Benz, and expects you to help him secure more. Or a Junior with an uncertain future sees a freshman kid walk in to first team practice having already earned a years salary.

I originally thought the NIL money would be pooled into a pot for all to share.

that why the first rule of NIL is ..

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
The hidden NIL economy of college sports

"Three main marketplaces emerge. Athletes earn money from corporate brands paying for their endorsement, from sales of merchandise and signed memorabilia and from booster-led NIL collectives. Collectives often pay de facto salaries in exchange for various services, such as charity work or meet and greets. Most of the biggest single payments came from corporations, which pay typically based on social media clout...

With brands paying for marketing potential, players with robust online engagement naturally can out-earn teammates who outperform them in games. LSU men’s basketball player Trace Young, for instance, played a total of two minutes last season. But with more than 350,000 followers across social media platforms, he scored endorsement deals that enabled him to gift all of his teammates with electric scooters each worth around $1,000, according to two of his teammates. (LSU provided only aggregated data, not information about individual deals.)

Shelomi Sanders, the daughter of Colorado football coach Deion Sanders, played 11 minutes for the Colorado women’s basketball team last season. But she had nearly 700,000 followers across TikTok and Instagram, where she posted ads for Marriott and Meta. The school’s NIL records show that a women’s basketball player signed deals with those companies that added up to $42,500. That’s 42 percent of the total NIL income disclosed by last season’s team, which reached the Sweet 16..."

Reaction Score

"Three main marketplaces emerge. Athletes earn money from corporate brands paying for their endorsement, from sales of merchandise and signed memorabilia and from booster-led NIL collectives. Collectives often pay de facto salaries in exchange for various services, such as charity work or meet and greets. Most of the biggest single payments came from corporations, which pay typically based on social media clout...

With brands paying for marketing potential, players with robust online engagement naturally can out-earn teammates who outperform them in games. LSU men’s basketball player Trace Young, for instance, played a total of two minutes last season. But with more than 350,000 followers across social media platforms, he scored endorsement deals that enabled him to gift all of his teammates with electric scooters each worth around $1,000, according to two of his teammates. (LSU provided only aggregated data, not information about individual deals.)

Shelomi Sanders, the daughter of Colorado football coach Deion Sanders, played 11 minutes for the Colorado women’s basketball team last season. But she had nearly 700,000 followers across TikTok and Instagram, where she posted ads for Marriott and Meta. The school’s NIL records show that a women’s basketball player signed deals with those companies that added up to $42,500. That’s 42 percent of the total NIL income disclosed by last season’s team, which reached the Sweet 16..."
That's interesting. And Bizarre. This whole thing is so bizarre.

Reaction Score
Clemson said the fees would "reflect the institution's commitment to a healthy and vibrant varsity athletic program and an investment in the student experience."

Power conference schools have been looking for new ways to raise money following an agreement to pay $2.78 billion in damages to hundreds of thousands of athletes dating to 2016. As part of that settlement, schools have agreed to distribute up to $21 million in revenue to athletes annually, starting as early as next fall.

I would guess more schools will do this. Although is this any different than what UConn has been doing the last few years to balance the athletic budget? There's not an extra fee but it's built into the tuition.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Time to get multi year contracts going where the school owns up to their end, and no more transferring whenever you want. Ninkumpoopery.

The one free transfer is the biggest problem. Players can still transfer. They just have to sit a year. it'll give plenty of time to go to class and actually study.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dybantsa and his father are looking for $4 million and BYU is prepared to pay $4 to $4.5 million. Interesting insight into his recruitment in here. Is there any more proof needed for why UConn didn't recruit him?

“I do know that the dad from the beginning has been pushing numbers like that,” said a source at an ACC school that is no longer in the mix. “He was pushing for $3 million while we were in the mix. The dad basically has said from the get-go that he’s going to the highest bidder.”

Alternate access:

Inside AJ Dybantsa's whirlwind recruitment that's pushing NIL to new limits

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Clemson said the fees would "reflect the institution's commitment to a healthy and vibrant varsity athletic program and an investment in the student experience."

Power conference schools have been looking for new ways to raise money following an agreement to pay $2.78 billion in damages to hundreds of thousands of athletes dating to 2016. As part of that settlement, schools have agreed to distribute up to $21 million in revenue to athletes annually, starting as early as next fall.

I would guess more schools will do this. Although is this any different than what UConn has been doing the last few years to balance the athletic budget? There's not an extra fee but it's built into the tuition.
It sucks that in an era when students all over the country are choosing not to go to school because of the cost, we are adding $1k+ to their student bill that will likely just be an additional 1k+ in loans. It’s really indefensible. And as they’re cutting education, you’re just paying more for less. Charge more for tickets for people who go to the games

Reaction Score
Dybantsa and his father are looking for $4 million and BYU is prepared to pay $4 to $4.5 million. Interesting insight into his recruitment in here. Is there any more proof needed for why UConn didn't recruit him?

“I do know that the dad from the beginning has been pushing numbers like that,” said a source at an ACC school that is no longer in the mix. “He was pushing for $3 million while we were in the mix. The dad basically has said from the get-go that he’s going to the highest bidder.”

Alternate access:

Inside AJ Dybantsa's whirlwind recruitment that's pushing NIL to new limits

Love this one:

Don’t believe the dad for a hot second on the money piece. This is entirely a money grab on the way to the draft. The fact Hurley dropped out early tells me they sniffed this out, and only further supports the agenda.

The only programs AJ makes sense for are those that need that “reboot” and eyeballs to bring their brand up. I feel pretty confident AJ will do very little in terms of real winning in his one year. His talent is right there with Flagg, but he’s an iso ball hog who takes plays off and only plays defense when he feels like it. I find his body language to be really “interesting” as well. Hard pass on him and the dad. It’s going to be entertaining to see how it plays out. Still feels like BYU and KSt are the best fits for these reasons.

Reaction Score
The president of the NCAA lashed out at "evidence of dysfunction in today's NIL environment" while reiterating his desire to see Congress create national guidelines to shape so-called name, image and likeness endorsement deals that are reshaping college sports.

Dysfunction? You don't say?! I know a lot of this is because of the courts but it seems only the NCAA could ---- something up so badly.

Why on Earth would CONGRESS, of all entities, write the rules for college athletes getting paid under NCAA Rules ? Insane. If the NCAA can't write the rules, I doubt very seriously there is any legitimate chance Congress will do it.

Reaction Score

This all sounds kookie, but when you get down to Shelomi Sanders and find that between Marriott and Meta she got a total of $42K. That's like a rounding error in the advertising budget of both of those companies. Its a lot compared to the $0 they used to get paid, but in the grand scheme of things, its nothing. I honestly can't imagine either Marriott or Meta making a single nickel of return on that ad buy, but whatever.

Reaction Score
Love this one:

Don’t believe the dad for a hot second on the money piece. This is entirely a money grab on the way to the draft. The fact Hurley dropped out early tells me they sniffed this out, and only further supports the agenda.

The only programs AJ makes sense for are those that need that “reboot” and eyeballs to bring their brand up. I feel pretty confident AJ will do very little in terms of real winning in his one year. His talent is right there with Flagg, but he’s an iso ball hog who takes plays off and only plays defense when he feels like it. I find his body language to be really “interesting” as well. Hard pass on him and the dad. It’s going to be entertaining to see how it plays out. Still feels like BYU and KSt are the best fits for these reasons.
yep dh is clear. he will drop any kid off their parents/posse are pita

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom