NIL issues | The Boneyard

NIL issues

Reaction Score
People on here have brought up the issue of players being jealous of each other's NIL packages and it causing internal chemistry issues. Cetainly a concern.

Another issue will be when the school doesn't live up to their NIL promises. So when does this issue impact college basketball? What schools will be guilty of this?

UNLV starting quarterback Matthew Sluka said he will not play any more games this season for the undefeated Rebels, citing "certain representations" not being upheld by the program.

"I committed to UNLV based on certain representations that were made to me, which were not upheld after I enrolled," Sluka posted on X. "Despite discussions, it became clear that these commitments would not be fulfilled in the future. I wish my teammates the best of luck this season and hope for the continued success of the program."

Reaction Score

Bad bad look on all sides.

Bad on Sulka and his agent for not getting the agreement in writing

Bad on UNLV coaches who lose recruiring credibility if a promise by the OC can't be trusted

Bad on the UNLV collective for not being able to put up $100k for your starting QB when you have a good shot at the CFP

Reaction Score

If my agent didn't understand that coaches cannot make that commitment, only collectives can, then I would be wondering just exactly what my agent was doing.

Florida screwing Jaden Rashada in the early days of NIL and players acquiring agents should have ended these kinds of things.

Reaction Score
There seems to be some belief that another school liked what they saw out of him through the first few weeks, and offered him a much more lucrative NIL promise for next season if he agreed to sit and red shirt.

Will be difficult to prove, if true. However, with no concrete rules in place, this kind of maneuver could become an unfortunate byproduct of the NIL era.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
UNLV just needs to pay this if they think they actually have a team. They will make their money back if they continue to win, and they also will profit the sooner the story goes away.

Reaction Score
Bad bad look on all sides.

Bad on Sulka and his agent for not getting the agreement in writing

Bad on UNLV coaches who lose recruiring credibility if a promise by the OC can't be trusted

Bad on the UNLV collective for not being able to put up $100k for your starting QB when you have a good shot at the CFP

When I initially heard this story it sounded like the agent came into the picture after the season started.

Incidentally this kid has 21 completions in three games at a 43% clip, he’s not exactly Arch Manning.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Seeing how NCAA rules are supposed to prohibit coaches from guaranteeing NIL, this kid may be SOL if the guarantee came from the staff and not the collective.

Coaches are only allowed to talk NIL in general terms “QBs who come here typically make 100K” not specific terms “if you come here we’ll pay you 100k” per the rule of the NCAA.

Reaction Score
It's unfortunate that the story facts dripped out and people on social media ran with their thoughts on the issue. According to Sluka's agent, NIL contracts are not signed until you are enrolled at a school. Sluka stayed at Holy Cross last spring to finish his degree and graduate. When he arrived at UNLV for fall practice, he and his agent asked for an NIL contract, but got the runaround. They even tried to negotiate down the NIL promise, but UNLV basically wanted to offer $3k/month over 4 months or $12k instead of the $100k promise mad by the Offensive Coordinator.

In my view, UNLV and their collective are at fault, not the kid and his agent.

Last edited:

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Probably a great life lesson for this young man for when he gets into the real world.

Like when you’re on a company call and the the CEO, CFO or whoever just gushes about how great the company numbers are, how we exceeded expectations, beat all estimates, etc, but then a few months later when bonus time comes around and the discussion becomes well we actually didn’t do THAT well….so don’t expect much.

Reaction Score
Probably a great life lesson for this young man for when he gets into the real world.

Like when you’re on a company call and the the CEO, CFO or whoever just gushes about how great the company numbers are, how we exceeded expectations, beat all estimates, etc, but then a few months later when bonus time comes around and the discussion becomes well we actually didn’t do THAT well….so don’t expect much.
Or you take a job based on salary without knowing they only match 1.5% on 401K and medical insurance premiums cost twice what you paid at the job you left. Get it in writing.

Reaction Score
Seeing how NCAA rules are supposed to prohibit coaches from guaranteeing NIL, this kid may be SOL if the guarantee came from the staff and not the collective.

Coaches are only allowed to talk NIL in general terms “QBs who come here typically make 100K” not specific terms “if you come here we’ll pay you 100k” per the rule of the NCAA.
There are NCAA rules surrounding NIL? Doesn't seem like it! Lol

Reaction Score
Oh this will become an issue in college basketball also. Interesting quotes from agents representing players. Worth a read.

"I think the biggest misconception is that there's so much money out there," said Marc Hsu, a former DePaul and Western Kentucky assistant who is now the VP for the agency Verus Basketball. "There's not. There are a few schools that have a handful of money and it's not what people think schools have. For example, one school is two million dollars over what they've committed to on that roster. They thought they were going to get donations from people, but it didn't come in. There's not all this money that everyone thinks.

"Most Power Five basketball collectives are between $2.5 and $4 million on the average. Do the math, if you have 13 scholarship guys, that's about $300,000 each. Some guys get $600,000, some guys get $900,000. That's not as much as everyone thinks is out there."

Reaction Score
Oh this will become an issue in college basketball also. Interesting quotes from agents representing players. Worth a read.

"I think the biggest misconception is that there's so much money out there," said Marc Hsu, a former DePaul and Western Kentucky assistant who is now the VP for the agency Verus Basketball. "There's not. There are a few schools that have a handful of money and it's not what people think schools have. For example, one school is two million dollars over what they've committed to on that roster. They thought they were going to get donations from people, but it didn't come in. There's not all this money that everyone thinks.

"Most Power Five basketball collectives are between $2.5 and $4 million on the average. Do the math, if you have 13 scholarship guys, that's about $300,000 each. Some guys get $600,000, some guys get $900,000. That's not as much as everyone thinks is out there."

You should read this article. Very interesting. All kinds of issues will come up because of NIL.

Who is UConn's NIL collective director?

"Bad collective directors are the most dangerous thing to a success of a program. Imagine you're a head coach at a high-major school, you've worked so hard to build relationships with agents, AAU coaches, players and build a reputation, and there's some guy who you didn't hire and has a big ego and he's trying to battle agents over details that don't matter. This guy is undermining the ability of the program to recruit top players. I've seen one collective where the top guy got fired because he was being such a pain in the ass to me. I'd had it. And they were like, 'If you're taking this power that we gave you and undermined our ability to recruit more great players in the future, then you're doing more harm than good.'"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom