NIL - Impact on WBB Recruiting and UConn - Other Schools | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NIL - Impact on WBB Recruiting and UConn - Other Schools

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
That is surprising to me.

Not looking forward to the inevitable inequity by race "discussions"
While these "discussions' as you call them might be uncomfortable for some, it is perfectly reasonable to anticipate them. And for the women's side it will be even more complicated by the typical bias toward females considered physically attractive. Not to say any of this is "fair", because there is no such thing. But it is and will be a source of discontent across the gamut of fans and non fans alike.

Reaction Score
I am not too familiar with the NIL rules but I definitely see wiggle room. Like I can foresee coaches going on "bathroom breaks" during campus tours and basically leaving recruits in a room full of boosters who are willing to give "examples" for how they can use an athlete's NIL to make the athlete some big bucks if they were to "hypothetically" enroll at the university.
Let’s face it. That’s been going on at big football and basketball schools for years. The biggest thing the NIL does is allow athletes, just like regular students, to market themselves. Thats going to be different for each individual.

Reaction Score
I can see the NEW box score now....2 points...8 turnovers , 150 new followers. Player post interview..." I had a great game." lol

Reaction Score
I remember when everyone made a big deal over the number of followers Skylar Diggins had in college.

Reaction Score
Here’s a somewhat contrary opinion. Auriemma’s recruiting success has focused on getting specific types of players who, among other characteristics, put team first. Yet mistakes are made, as happens with every other program regardless of their recruiting objectives. The ability to profit as a college athlete is not a “skill” pertinent to winning championships. It is indicative of such skills and UConn would be at a recruiting disadvantage if they had no “NIL” value. However, it now becomes another motivating factor that may lead to mistakes in recruiting. The coaching staff will either need to adapt themselves to teasing out how important the “NIL” motivation from others for recruits, or face greater challenges to chemistry and winning championships.

With the recruits we already have coming in I think we are in great shape for awhile, but this may be a future consideration in Auriemma’s retirement.
I think long-term the dollars it's going to eventually catch up to UCONN without being in a P5.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If a student works on something groundbreaking and it leads to patents and licensing income, or additional grants, for the university what is the researchers' cut? Research dollars usually are far bigger than sports dollars, so I'm wondering if a similar situation doesn't exist in that case as well. Does anyone know how that works?
Funny you should ask. My son studied mechanical engineering and played football in college. His senior project involved working on a research project funded by GM to produce a high efficiency variable valve timing internal combustion engine (VVT) designed to improve overall engine performance.

He actually built a functioning prototype that ultimately resulted in 3 patents and engineering level changes to GM engine designs. My son received an A for the course. All the patents and economic benefit accrued to GM.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The key words of course.
Well, he was offered a job at GM, which he seriously considered, before accepting another job at GE.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not necessarily.
UCONN a stones throw fro the city that is the capitol of the world.
Big East has a very nice natural footprint (by and large) and the member schools need to rise to the occasion.
See what happens in the next 3-4 years.
A critical time period , I believe.

Reaction Score
To be more precise, NIL contracts cannot be used in advance as a recruiting inducement. Recruits will undoubtedly be aware of which schools present better NIL opportunities once they arrive on campus. NIL will have a bearing on recruiting, just as the opportunity to play for a championship under a talented coach who’s players develop their potential and usually end up in the pros.
Under the NCAA rules, the schools cannot participate in the NIL contracts. It has to be a completely private transaction. I think NIL opportunities will be known by top recruits BEFORE they arrive on campus and that will factor into their decision. Do I play for college X that has little or no national exposure and maybe have a few intrastate deals or do I play for UCONN, SC, or Stanford ( as examples) that have visible national programs and get national deals.

I predict that this rule change and the new transfer rules will be the death knell for mid majors trying to hold onto talent they developed. Now a player can jump to College Y after two years and an all conference selection and sign a sweet deal because they are now on a national exposure team with absolutely no restrictions, compensation to the abandoned team, or signed contracts with the teams. You are not just transferring now to play for a better team and win, or to get a masters in a certain discipline, you are transferring to make money.

That's how this differs from the pros, they have contracts with the teams. Here, the contracts are with the companies whose products they are endorsing. It is my guess that those contracts will require the player to stay at a certain college. For how long? Does it depend on performance? What about an injury and you don't play? Are you playing for the school or for the company whose new workout apparel you are endorsing? I have about as much confidence in the NCAA enforcing the new rules and implementing them in an equitable manner that I have in the refereeing in the Final Four being outstanding.

Reaction Score
If a student works on something groundbreaking and it leads to patents and licensing income, or additional grants, for the university what is the researchers' cut? Research dollars usually are far bigger than sports dollars, so I'm wondering if a similar situation doesn't exist in that case as well. Does anyone know how that works?
The product or patent will belong to the university absent a special contracted deal.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Cavinder Twins:

1625239431402.png

Reaction Score
The SEC has been on top of this for a couple of years. I know at SC they have hired a firm that has been instructing athletes about NIL for the past 2 years. It includes how to hire an agent, that the money earned will affect the amount of Pell grant they receive, etc. Once big change is going to be the fact that athletes can now purchase items, autograph them, and sell them. Imagine putting a signed basketball on Ebay and auctioning it off. What a coach can't do is say come to X school and we'll get you to be a spokesperson for a car dealership. It doesn't say they can't mention NIL. Athletes can now be paid for speaking engagements. A'ja Wilson would have made a fortune on that.
My friend was wondering if this could potentially lead to Duke leaving the ACC for the SEC in 4 to 5 years. We all know how much money the SEC's football programs rake in. Duke is improving and many are speculating that the SEC's deep pockets will bleed over to basketball. If there is an offer, I agree with my friend that Duke would take a long hard look at it. They lose the b-ball rivalry with NC and a few others for sure, but Kentucky becomes an instant in-conf. rival.

I never thought about it until my friend mentioned it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom