NIL - Impact on WBB Recruiting and UConn - Other Schools | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NIL - Impact on WBB Recruiting and UConn - Other Schools

Reaction Score
The SEC has been on top of this for a couple of years. I know at SC they have hired a firm that has been instructing athletes about NIL for the past 2 years. It includes how to hire an agent, that the money earned will affect the amount of Pell grant they receive, etc. Once big change is going to be the fact that athletes can now purchase items, autograph them, and sell them. Imagine putting a signed basketball on Ebay and auctioning it off. What a coach can't do is say come to X school and we'll get you to be a spokesperson for a car dealership. It doesn't say they can't mention NIL. Athletes can now be paid for speaking engagements. A'ja Wilson would have made a fortune on that.
I am not too familiar with the NIL rules but I definitely see wiggle room. Like I can foresee coaches going on "bathroom breaks" during campus tours and basically leaving recruits in a room full of boosters who are willing to give "examples" for how they can use an athlete's NIL to make the athlete some big bucks if they were to "hypothetically" enroll at the university.

Reaction Score
If this becomes dominant topic in woman’s basketball, I will check out.
Already checked out on football.
Only really follow men’s college BB during tourney time.
Scenery of professional sports is littered with busted, bankrupt athletes that skipped the books and concentrated pro careers and quick cash with no fallback plan.
Think these “benefactors” will give two licks upon unfortunate injury or illness.
Best blending educational/career objectives as top priority with any athletic revenue sources as “found money”.

Reaction Score
Recruits will see how much Paige and Azzi will get this year and that will have a favorable impact on recruiting even if Geno and the coaching staff don't mention it as part of their recruiting efforts. I suspect Paige will end up receiving the more money then any other WBB player. Will Azzi be 2nd highest?
You must not be familiar with the Cavinder twins. They have more followers across the board than any other college wbb players. They just inked a deal with Boost Mobile. Their appeal seems to cross multiple markets not just wbb fans.

Reaction Score
I think that as with most things the rich will get richer- schools like UConn in WCBB and Alabama in football who enjoy huge media profiles will definitely draw even more attention from star HS players because of the potential for NIL riches. For schools with lower media profiles there will be an accordingly smaller chance for them to land program changing recruits because the potential for off field wealth just isn't there.

Let's face it, if I'm a 5 star HS football player why should I settle for State U where in addition to a 4 year scholarship I might make 25000 with NIL when I can go to Alabama and make 125,000 with NIL?? It's a no brainer.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Thats just her Instagram. She has 4 million followers on Tiktok as well. She's gonna make bank.
Any gymnast gets my vote. Nothing more brutal.

Reaction Score
I hope women's basketball doesn't turn into a bunch of modeling contracts. The face of the game could easily become the diva at the end of the bench with 4 inch lashes averaging 2 minutes per game.

Reaction Score
Any gymnast gets my vote. Nothing more brutal.
Its tough. It will be interesting to see the ramifications of this from a team perspective, when the girl three lockers down is racking up hundreds of thousands of dollars (if not millions) while the other one is getting peanuts in comparison.

Reaction Score
Televised games will now be 5 hours long to include tiktok outtakes. lol

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am not too familiar with the NIL rules but I definitely see wiggle room. Like I can foresee coaches going on "bathroom breaks" during campus tours and basically leaving recruits in a room full of boosters who are willing to give "examples" for how they can use an athlete's NIL to make the athlete some big bucks if they were to "hypothetically" enroll at the university.
Boosters are prohibited from establishing NIL agreements with college athletes.

Reaction Score
If this becomes dominant topic in woman’s basketball, I will check out.
Already checked out on football.
Only really follow men’s college BB during tourney time.
Scenery of professional sports is littered with busted, bankrupt athletes that skipped the books and concentrated pro careers and quick cash with no fallback plan.
Think these “benefactors” will give two licks upon unfortunate injury or illness.
Best blending educational/career objectives as top priority with any athletic revenue sources as “found money”
Well said...our house has done the same.

Reaction Score
Will creative lawyers now fashion lawsuits against coaches and athletic departments
because their clients are not getting enough playing time thereby damaging their NIL
earning potential?

Reaction Score
To an oldie like me the whole NIL thing was unimaginable back in the day. The growth of women's sports is incredible. I am appreciative that I got to be a part of that in the 80's and early 90's. Geno was at Virginia then and little did I know that he would become what he is!
I believe our Huskies will benefit tremendously. We are the center of the earth....women's basketball that is. Bring in the cameras. I hope that all the additional attention and earnings doesn't affect the team negatively. Of course there will be some athletes who will want to be diva's all over the NCAA. UConn is in good hands and must keep it's great reputation in tact.
The administration must continually make sure that all our personnel are on the right track and adjust to the younger generations. I am certain that Geno and CD will do great, but future hiring is ultra important.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Question: Does this hurt the programs that have traditionally restricted their players' social media usage in season? Does this prompt Geno and CD to relax their rules?

I think it's quite telling that the first big NIL splash on the women's side is by 3 white blondes whose "marketability" is heavily based on their appearance rather than their athletic success. Kinda reminds me how Anna Kournikova became one of the most highly compensated female athletes in history despite never winning a singles tournament.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
To an oldie like me the whole NIL thing was unimaginable back in the day. The growth of women's sports is incredible. I am appreciative that I got to be a part of that in the 80's and early 90's. Geno was at Virginia then and little did I know that he would become what he is!
I believe our Huskies will benefit tremendously. We are the center of the earth....women's basketball that is. Bring in the cameras. I hope that all the additional attention and earnings doesn't affect the team negatively. Of course there will be some athletes who will want to be diva's all over the NCAA. UConn is in good hands and must keep it's great reputation in tact.
The administration must continually make sure that all our personnel are on the right track and adjust to the younger generations. I am certain that Geno and CD will do great, but future hiring is ultra important.
Back in the Dark Ages when I was in college, getting a good education with an opportunity to play ball seemed like a great bargain. But back in the 1970’s top college coaches didn’t have multi-million $ incomes and top universities didn’t take in 100’s of millions every year from media rights, ticket & merchandise sales and alumni fundraising campaigns.

Over the years I’ve come full circle on athlete compensation. The idea that college athletes get tuition, room and board, while working their butts off year round to sustain a multi-billion $ industry is one of the most one-sided deals since Peter Minuit purchased Manhattan from the Native Americans for 60 guilders.

College athletes should be able to earn whatever they can off of their NIL. There will certainly be some hiccups along the way. In the end the system will finally compensate the athletes that work and compete, and college sports will survive.

Reaction Score
Until now I finally know what is NIL (name, image, likeness), LOL.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Question: Does this hurt the programs that have traditionally restricted their players' social media usage in season? Does this prompt Geno and CD to relax their rules?

I think it's quite telling that the first big NIL splash on the women's side is by 3 white blondes whose "marketability" is heavily based on their appearance rather than their athletic success. Kinda reminds me how Anna Kournikova became one of the most highly compensated female athletes in history despite never winning a singles tournament.

I think the social media rules only dictate that they stay off of Twitter, which today’s college players barely use anyways.

Reaction Score
Back in the Dark Ages when I was in college, getting a good education with an opportunity to play ball seemed like a great bargain. But back in the 1970’s top college coaches didn’t have multi-million $ incomes and top universities didn’t take in 100’s of millions every year from media rights, ticket & merchandise sales and alumni fundraising campaigns.

Over the years I’ve come full circle on athlete compensation. The idea that college athletes get tuition, room and board, while working their butts off year round to sustain a multi-billion $ industry is one of the most one-sided deals since Peter Minuit purchased Manhattan from the Native Americans for 60 guilders.

College athletes should be able to earn whatever they can off of their NIL. There will certainly be some hiccups along the way. In the end the system will finally compensate the athletes that work and compete, and college sports will survive.
If a student works on something groundbreaking and it leads to patents and licensing income, or additional grants, for the university what is the researchers' cut? Research dollars usually are far bigger than sports dollars, so I'm wondering if a similar situation doesn't exist in that case as well. Does anyone know how that works?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom