NIL - Impact on WBB Recruiting and UConn - Other Schools | The Boneyard

NIL - Impact on WBB Recruiting and UConn - Other Schools

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMO UConn WBB Program should have a positive impact on recruiting with WBB players being able to be paid for their likeness. Unlike most schools UConn players should be able to get National and In-State contracts due to the Popularity and the Publicity that UConn receives nationally. The higher ranked the High School player is will determine when they'll be able to take advantage of NIL

What other school's players will be able to benefit from National Contracts? Before Kim Mulkey left, I would have said Baylor, now I'm not sure. South Carolina will benefit because of Dawn, but I'm not sure they'll be at UConn's level.

It will be interesting to see which schools do well due to High Profile Alumni who are extremely wealthy and run successful businesses.

Reaction Score
My understanding is it's not allowed to have ANY bearing on recruiting. Maybe I'm wrong.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My understanding is it's not allowed to have ANY bearing on recruiting. Maybe I'm wrong.
Animated GIF

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
To be more precise, NIL contracts cannot be used in advance as a recruiting inducement. Recruits will undoubtedly be aware of which schools present better NIL opportunities once they arrive on campus. NIL will have a bearing on recruiting, just as the opportunity to play for a championship under a talented coach who’s players develop their potential and usually end up in the pros.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Recruits will see how much Paige and Azzi will get this year and that will have a favorable impact on recruiting even if Geno and the coaching staff don't mention it as part of their recruiting efforts. I suspect Paige will end up receiving the more money then any other WBB player. Will Azzi be 2nd highest?

W

wolfe613

Recruits will see how much Paige and Azzi will get this year and that will have a favorable impact on recruiting even if Geno and the coaching staff don't mention it as part of their recruiting efforts. I suspect Paige will end up receiving the more money then any other WBB player. Will Azzi be 2nd highest?
No the Cavinder twins will get the most

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
W

wolfe613

Who are they? Paige had more social media followers then any other College athlete regardless of Sport.
They have signed seals in time square and both have 5 million followers on tik tok

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Here’s a somewhat contrary opinion. Auriemma’s recruiting success has focused on getting specific types of players who, among other characteristics, put team first. Yet mistakes are made, as happens with every other program regardless of their recruiting objectives. The ability to profit as a college athlete is not a “skill” pertinent to winning championships. It is indicative of such skills and UConn would be at a recruiting disadvantage if they had no “NIL” value. However, it now becomes another motivating factor that may lead to mistakes in recruiting. The coaching staff will either need to adapt themselves to teasing out how important the “NIL” motivation from others for recruits, or face greater challenges to chemistry and winning championships.

With the recruits we already have coming in I think we are in great shape for awhile, but this may be a future consideration in Auriemma’s retirement.

W

wolfe613

Here’s a somewhat contrary opinion. Auriemma’s recruiting success has focused on getting specific types of players who, among other characteristics, put team first. Yet mistakes are made, as happens with every other program regardless of their recruiting objectives. The ability to profit as a college athlete is not a “skill” pertinent to winning championships. It is indicative of such skills and UConn would be at a recruiting disadvantage if they had no “NIL” value. However, it now becomes another motivating factor that may lead to mistakes in recruiting. The coaching staff will either need to adapt themselves to teasing out how important the “NIL” motivation from others for recruits, or face greater challenges to chemistry and winning championships.

With the recruits we already have coming in I think we are in great shape for awhile, but this may be a future consideration in Auriemma’s retirement.
Roy Williams retired, Coach K retired they knew the avalanche that was coming to college basketball wanted nothing to do with it

Reaction Score
I can see a lot of athletic departments continuing to resist the NIL movement. And then, I read stories about UCLA and USC bringing in advisors to help the athletes with branding, contacts with star alumni and local businesspeople, and business strategies. (For instance, see UCLA stars trying to tap Hollywood, social media and their talent for NIL payday. [May be behind a paywall.]) An extract: “[UCLA] has scheduled Zoom meetings in the coming days to prepare the school’s 700-plus athletes for every aspect of NIL, from educating them on the basics of the agreement to building their brand to disclosing and monitoring every deal that’s struck….”

Reaction Score

I have a similar gut feeling. Players who are motivated by the fame and money may have extra motivation to promote themselves despite the teams rules and expectations for how the game is played. I can see some players trying to single-handedly take over games and make a name for themselves so that they can get more followers and promote their "brand".

I could also see team social media rules changing across sports. Some coaches don't allow phones in certain areas and I could see team rules changing to help gains competitive advantage -- basically give student athletes the idea that they can promote themselves on gameday through social media.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Listening to Darren Rovell, he was saying that Arch Manning (still in high school) will likely break the 10 million dollar mark while in college. Not sure if that's per year, or over his college career.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I can see a lot of athletic departments continuing to resist the NIL movement. And then, I read stories about UCLA and USC bringing in advisors to help the athletes with branding, contacts with star alumni and local businesspeople, and business strategies. (For instance, see UCLA stars trying to tap Hollywood, social media and their talent for NIL payday. [May be behind a paywall.]) An extract: “[UCLA] has scheduled Zoom meetings in the coming days to prepare the school’s 700-plus athletes for every aspect of NIL, from educating them on the basics of the agreement to building their brand to disclosing and monitoring every deal that’s struck….”

Not just the SoCal schools...

Reaction Score
Players who are motivated by the fame and money may have extra motivation to promote themselves despite the teams rules and expectations for how the game is played. I can see some players trying to single-handedly take over games and make a name for themselves so that they can get more followers and promote their "brand".
This is absolutely what will happen.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
IMO UConn WBB Program should have a positive impact on recruiting with WBB players being able to be paid for their likeness. Unlike most schools UConn players should be able to get National and In-State contracts due to the Popularity and the Publicity that UConn receives nationally. The higher ranked the High School player is will determine when they'll be able to take advantage of NIL

What other school's players will be able to benefit from National Contracts? Before Kim Mulkey left, I would have said Baylor, now I'm not sure. South Carolina will benefit because of Dawn, but I'm not sure they'll be at UConn's level.

It will be interesting to see which schools do well due to High Profile Alumni who are extremely wealthy and run successful businesses.

Perhaps this article will help clear up some questions: Guide to understanding the NCAA's new NIL rules

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Also Hailey Van Lith is just as popular as Paige.
That is surprising to me.

Not looking forward to the inevitable inequity by race "discussions"

Reaction Score
And dating Jalen Suggs just increases her visibility.
Oh yeah big time when it comes to power couples like that. Hailey Van Lith's basketball skills almost become secondary in terms of her popularity. I made this point in one of the other threads on this topic, but I don't think anyone understood.

Reaction Score
The SEC has been on top of this for a couple of years. I know at SC they have hired a firm that has been instructing athletes about NIL for the past 2 years. It includes how to hire an agent, that the money earned will affect the amount of Pell grant they receive, etc. Once big change is going to be the fact that athletes can now purchase items, autograph them, and sell them. Imagine putting a signed basketball on Ebay and auctioning it off. What a coach can't do is say come to X school and we'll get you to be a spokesperson for a car dealership. It doesn't say they can't mention NIL. Athletes can now be paid for speaking engagements. A'ja Wilson would have made a fortune on that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom