Nike Contract | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Nike Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll never understand why we pushed ourselves away from "Connecticut"

It sounds about 1000x more prestigious than UCONN. And I'm pretty sure every sports announcer still refers to us as Connecticut.

I agree, I think we should have done the opposite and branded everything as "Connecticut" and left "UConn" as a nickname/casual conversation name. "Connecitucut" sounds much classier and prestigious.

Re: our uniform supplier - I fully expect us to land with Adidas given how the last few years have played out in CR.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Re: UConn vs. Connecticut

When I was younger I was all for Connecticut on the uniforms and UConn only as a nickname - state pride. But I now realize that UConn is bigger than Connecticut. It's a national brand - or at the very least trying to be. UConn does not become the "6th borough" as "Connecticut". So from a marketing and all-inclusive standpoint - especially since Connecticut is a small state - UConn makes sense for growing the brand.

Reaction Score
Re: UConn vs. Connecticut

When I was younger I was all for Connecticut on the uniforms and UConn only as a nickname - state pride. But I now realize that UConn is bigger than Connecticut. It's a national brand - or at the very least trying to be. UConn does not become the "6th borough" as "Connecticut". So from a marketing and all-inclusive standpoint - especially since Connecticut is a small state - UConn makes sense for growing the brand.
Fair enough.

ed_nelson_2006_03_04.jpg

But this is still the best jersey we've ever had.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
100% agree and I wished we wore that throwback at least one game a year

We wore it like every home game the second half of the 2006-2007 season and we sucked. It was never heard from again I don't think. Plus, we wore it in the loss to Mason in 2006. It's bad luck.

Reaction Score
I never understood the disdain for those uniforms just because of the George Mason loss. We wore them a ton in 2006 in addition to 06-07. Visually they are so beautiful and were the perfect alternate to our classic uniforms of 96-07.

I remember we wore our regular home whites during the BET in '06 when we lost our opener to a crappy Syracuse team (think it was a noon game) and then we went with the throwbacks the rest of the way. That team had its issues down the stretch regardless of the uniform it wore.

Reaction Score
I never understood the disdain for those uniforms just because of the George Mason loss. We wore them a ton in 2006 in addition to 06-07. Visually they are so beautiful and were the perfect alternate to our classic uniforms of 96-07.

I remember we wore our regular home whites during the BET in '06 when we lost our opener to a crappy Syracuse team (think it was a noon game) and then we went with the throwbacks the rest of the way. That team had its issues down the stretch regardless of the uniform it wore.
The "Connecticut" jerseys are amazing. People can say whatever they want about the George Mason game but if their point is that those jerseys are anything less than great they're nuts.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I always liked UConn as a nickname and I agree that UConn is what we are known as nationally, but at the same time the vast majority of state flagship schools are the full state name, where as abbreviated,to me, you lose that state association a bit.

Just my take though, I'll leave the branding to the professionals on here.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Fair enough.

ed_nelson_2006_03_04.jpg

But this is still the best jersey we've ever had.

Ed nelson was awesome, I remember him working out at uconn footballs pro day

Reaction Score
Ed nelson was awesome, I remember him working out at uconn footballs pro day
I remember him releasing the fire flames jam of the decade in his debut single entitled 'Pickup Truck'

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I remember him releasing the fire flames jam of the decade in his debut single entitled 'Pickup Truck'

Baby girl I don't mean to be rude, I just wanna take you out, show you what I'm about, take you out in my pickup truck, baby you bout to get stuffed

That was the song of Spring Weekend 2006.

Reaction Score
Nike is classic but I can live with UA, just stay far away from adidas.

Reaction Score
I always liked UConn as a nickname and I agree that UConn is what we are known as nationally, but at the same time the vast majority of state flagship schools are the full state name, where as abbreviated,to me, you lose that state association a bit.

Just my take though, I'll leave the branding to the professionals on here.
Yea but we all hate "directional" labels as they denote 2nd class status like UCF or USF or UCLA? hehe Doesn't matter what you are called it's your success that brands you. Let's call UConn ...THE UNIVERSITY of CONNECTICUT" Just adding a THE will get us BiG Status!

Reaction Score
I grew to like "Connecticut" as opposed to UConn. I seem to recall something about dropping "The" at some point, possibly in the '90's, but I may be mistaken. Not sure if it was an official thing or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom