Nike Contract | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nike Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I really hope UConn doesn't leave Nike... While I think the uni re-design has been an abortion, I do like the new logo, and in general the merch that they've produced for college football gear nationwide. I also think (although its small) it does give UConn some substainal legitamacy for our football program over having Adidas as our athletic equiptment partner. They're college football stuff recently has been trash.... Under Armour would be interesting here at UConn but only if we get sweet one-off uni combos!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I really hope UConn doesn't leave Nike... While I think the uni re-design has been an abortion, I do like the new logo, and in general the merch that they've produced for college football gear nationwide. I also think (although its small) it does give UConn some substainal legitamacy for our football program

I bet 99.9999% of people couldn't tell you who our contract is with.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I bet 99.9999% of people couldn't tell you who our contract is with.
I don't know? Any serious fan could, Nike is fairly prominate in our stadium/arena(s) and on the jerseys of our athletes.

Reaction Score
Under Armour just resigned South Carolina to a 10 yr $71.5 Million dollar apparel deal..also contains a $2 million dollar signing bonus.

Reaction Score
I am good with Nike or UA. Adidas is a nightmare.

What about New Balance? I do not believe they are in college sports; but, they have been making a strong push elsewhere, especially European soccer.

Reaction Score
Since Nike just did a major rebranding of UCONN, I doubt we are going to go with anyone else anytime soon.

Reaction Score
Since Nike just did a major rebranding of UCONN, I doubt we are going to go with anyone else anytime soon.
Who ever ponies up the most $$$ will get the contract. My guess is it will come down to UA and Nike. According to South Carolina they negotiated the 7th most profitable apparel deal in the country.

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I was a Nike guy for a long time, but I feel like UA really puts all of their resources into each of their accounts. Sometimes Nike appears to be a bit lazy in their designing; UA always has numerous and interesting uniform combos...and kids seem to like it.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
I personally like UA over Nike since UA garments tend to run larger than others. A good selling point to those who run toward the large builds, like me.

Reaction Score
I personally like UA over Nike since UA garments tend to run larger than others. A good selling point to those who run toward the large builds, like me.

I still prefer Nike, but it is more out of habit. I totally agree with you, Nike seemed to turn its back on larger than average consumers for a while.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I still prefer Nike, but it is more out of habit. I totally agree with you, Nike seemed to turn its back on larger than average consumers for a while.
Agree 100%. I have a Hoodie from 2009 or so that I love. I'm a tall guy and can't seem to find another Hoodie that fits the same anymore. The one i have is a 2XL and was the "football sideline" one for that year. Tried two consecutive years to find a new hoodie and each time end up sending them back because sleeves are too short. I hate the new Therma Fit crap. It's all too small. Plus I don't ever see any Tall sized products from them. Not sure if UA has any but I can usually get away with a 2XL and have it fit in terms of length as long as it's on the slightly longer side.

I know some people have said they've seen a few UA UConn things at the Co-Op I believe. Is this true and do they have any hoodies? Would make the trek up there if they did.

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. I have a Hoodie from 2009 or so that I love. I'm a tall guy and can't seem to find another Hoodie that fits the same anymore. The one i have is a 2XL and was the "football sideline" one for that year. Tried two consecutive years to find a new hoodie and each time end up sending them back because sleeves are too short. I hate the new Therma Fit crap. It's all too small. Plus I don't ever see any Tall sized products from them. Not sure if UA has any but I can usually get away with a 2XL and have it fit in terms of length as long as it's on the slightly longer side.

I know some people have said they've seen a few UA UConn things at the Co-Op I believe. Is this true and do they have any hoodies? Would make the trek up there if they did.
I would give them a call to find out. I got a really nice UA golf shirt there last summer that was embroidered.

Reaction Score
The branding of UConn for University of Connecticut was a great move....

Don't know if that just accelerated under Nike or when it started...but a smart marketing move.

Reaction Score
"Connecticut" sounds BIG to me. B1G, Big 12, what have you.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
"Connecticut" sounds BIG to me. B1G, Big 12, what have you.

Agree on that point. There is no, "UMich", "UWisc", "UMinn", etc.

Although "UMinn" would be funny. As in every time they lost, their coach could simply say, "The kids made some mistakes today. After all, they're only UMinn."

Reaction Score

Although "UMinn" would be funny. As in every time they lost, their coach could simply say, "The kids made some mistakes today. After all, they're only UMinn."
UMinn sounds like a spice, UWisc sounds like a cooking utensil, and UMich sounds like a feminine hygiene product. At least UConn sounds strong, like a spaceship command station.

pj

Reaction Score

UMinn and UWis should swap letters to be UMiss and UWin.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UMinn and UWis should swap letters to be UMiss and UWin.
As opposed to the institution to the north of us affectionately known as UMess.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Adidas stuff runs smaller still. XL means you are 5'9" and weigh 160. It's all soccer player sized stuff.

Nike or UA? Take the money.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Burn the hoop uneys for the last 2 games.

And take the money

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
I'll never understand why we pushed ourselves away from "Connecticut"

It sounds about 1000x more prestigious than UCONN. And I'm pretty sure every sports announcer still refers to us as Connecticut.

Reaction Score
UConn should be compensated for the P era uniforms. Not only did the coach try and phone it in but so did the uniform supplier. That was by far the worst looking uniform in Div 1 and Nike should be embarrassed that they couldn't come up with something better. It hurt the UConn brand. UConn nation should be P O'd about it and not let them ever forget. When everyone is trending to chrome helmets the Huskies were saddled with that cartoon look? And to this day still no flare or statement to the uniforms. I like the fading of one color to another on the bottom of the basketball shorts. Other than that....BORING! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom