Nika's Triple Double | The Boneyard

Nika's Triple Double

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This young lady could be a nice surprise this Fall. She could bring an immediate impact for Connecticut right off of the bench. Geno: choices, choices, choices. All good choices.

Bingo!! That’s what I’ve been saying recently. There hasn’t been a lot of talk about Nika but as you suggest, she could come in and have more of an immediate impact on the team than any of the other newbies. Once again I say that Geno will have a deeper bench with more options next season than he’s had the last 2 years.

This year was fun and challenging. We saw our two freshmen grow and develop in their first year. I think UConn has nothing to hang their heads about. They won 29 games. Anytime you win 29 games it is an outstanding year. You’ve got to give other teams credit too. UConn is not the only talented elite top 4 team in the country. Given the circumstances, UConn can say they had a pretty good year. They won their conference tournament and won their last game.

I’m sure others will join me in saying next year’s team is really going to be fun to watch as UConn embarks on their “homecoming” tour through the BIG East Conference. I’m like Bart Scott, can’t wait.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Bingo!! That’s what I’ve been saying recently. There hasn’t been a lot of talk about Nika but as you suggest, she could come in and have more of an immediate impact on the team than any of the other 4 newbies. Once again I say that Geno will have a deeper bench with more options next season than he’s had the last 2 years.

This year was a fun and challenging. I think UConn has nothing to hang their heads about. They won 31 games. Anytime you win 30+ games it is an outstanding year. You’ve got to give other teams credit too. UConn is not the only talented elite top 4 team in the country.

I’m sure others will join me in saying next year’s team is really going to be fun to watch as UConn goes on their “homecoming” tour through the BIG East Conference. I’m like Bart Scott, can’t wait.
I think the "knock" on Nika (if anyone has been ignoring her or she's been under the radar) is because it SEEMS that she's not a great, or even good, shooter. Most of the time, accolades for players come from scoring. It's easy to quantify that.

Use Anna or Christyn as examples - when either of them have their shots off, they still do a tremendous amout of other things - Anna with her court vision, BBlQ and passing, and Christyn with her energy and fierceness of defense and her rebounding. BUT you still hear people (some, not all) opining that either had a "bad" game when the shots are not falling for them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the "knock" on Nika (if anyone has been ignoring her or she's been under the radar) is because it SEEMS that she's not a great, or even good, shooter. Most of the time, accolades for players come from scoring. It's easy to quantify that.

Use Anna or Christyn as examples - when either of them have their shots off, they still do a tremendous amout of other things - Anna with her court vision, BBlQ and passing, and Christyn with her energy and fierceness of defense and her rebounding. BUT you still hear people (some, not all) opining that either had a "bad" game when the shots are not falling for them.
It's also about expectations. Anna had a strong reputation as a shooter and CW was a prolific scorer in High School before entering college. With Paigemania dominating the board, Nika has an opportunity to shine with lower expectations.

Finally, with all due respect to SLUCONN, I have self-appointed myself "President" of A. Edwards fan club.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
This young lady could be a nice surprise this Fall. She could bring an immediate impact for Connecticut right off of the bench. Geno: choices, choices, choices. All good choices.
Irrespective of who starts there will be at least 4 really good players on the bench capable of significant contributions. Plus there will be two bigs on the floor by January. Who knows perhaps Mir and Piath might show by January-February. Give Geno a real headache any coach would love to have. ;):)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Nika has an opportunity to shine with lower expectations.
Whose lower expections? Not Geno's. The fans? Probably. :);)

Finally, with all due respect to SLUCONN, I have self-appointed myself "President" of A. Edwards fan club.
Darn! I was going for that. :rolleyes: Next season my fanatic support will go to Nika and Aaliyah. I hope they both surprise everyone big time with loads of minutes and significant contributions.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It's also about expectations. Anna had a strong reputation as a shooter and CW was a prolific scorer in High School before entering college. With Paigemania dominating the board, Nika has an opportunity to shine with lower expectations.

A club that includes me as well.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I look at the positives. Dwelling on the negitives just tears you down. Yah know need to remind kid about theyre not doing or what they need to inprove on. They already know that. We dont need to remind them. What we need to do is, cheer them on what they do right and how they are improving, because with all the work they put in it will happen at some point. Ya gotta believe.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Good for you!! Sometimes you just do what you gotta do! :) BTW, those “self” appointments are the best appointments!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nika playing against pro players older & more physical than her. Should translate well to UConn. Expectations are high.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As Emily Litellawould say " What this I hear about a female crustacean basketball player?" How can she pass and shoot with her big claws? Emily that's Croatian. "Never mind"
Reminds me of "endangered feces." :D

Reaction Score
Too much of a good thing is not a good thing. These players are coming to UConn to play, not sit. Guaranteed that one or two will not be happy sitting. We will have 11 legitimate players next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom