Nika senior 'homecoming' game | The Boneyard

Nika senior 'homecoming' game

Reaction Score
I know UConn has traditionally really tried to get their seniors a homecoming game (or as close to home as possible), and I was wondering whether Nika would get one/what possibilities there are? UConn used to take trips to Europe once every few years so every player would attend once during their 4 years here, but this hasn't happened for a little while (COVID an issue I presume). If they were to take a trip to Europe this summer could Croatia be a possibility? Whilst it wouldn't be a legit game during the season, that would present a chance for Nika to play a game in UConn uniform at home.
Another thought I had was whether UConn would potentially play Ball State where Nika's sister Hana plays as a freshman this year.

I know Paige has a homecoming game against Minnesota already planned but haven't heard anything about Nika or whether UConn will head to Canada (similar to what they did for Kia Nurse) for Aaliyah.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
In one of Geno’s recent interviews, he mentioned a trip to Europe planned for August. He didn’t say where, specifically, but I’d be shocked if it didn’t have a stop in Croatia.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I know UConn has traditionally really tried to get their seniors a homecoming game (or as close to home as possible), and I was wondering whether Nika would get one/what possibilities there are? UConn used to take trips to Europe once every few years so every player would attend once during their 4 years here, but this hasn't happened for a little while (COVID an issue I presume). If they were to take a trip to Europe this summer could Croatia be a possibility? Whilst it wouldn't be a legit game during the season, that would present a chance for Nika to play a game in UConn uniform at home.
Another thought I had was whether UConn would potentially play Ball State where Nika's sister Hana plays as a freshman this year.

I know Paige has a homecoming game against Minnesota already planned but haven't heard anything about Nika or whether UConn will head to Canada (similar to what they did for Kia Nurse) for Aaliyah.
Geno the other day mentioned, while talking about El Afly, that she would have the rest of this season, the August trip and preseason to get up to speed.

Haven't heard anything official yet, but sounds like they might have a preseason trip planned, or being planned.

Reaction Score
Geno the other day mentioned, while talking about El Afly, that she would have the rest of this season, the August trip and preseason to get up to speed.

Haven't heard anything official yet, but sounds like they might have a preseason trip planned, or being planned.
If Connecticut plays unofficial exhibitions in August, would Jana El Alfy be allowed to play without using up any eligibility?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If Connecticut plays unofficial exhibitions in August, would Jana El Alfy be allowed to play without using up any eligibility?
Yes, it is an exhibition game for the 23-24 season which is her Freshman class. She would only lose any eligibility if she played this season, be it regular season or the tournaments.

Reaction Score
Maybe Geno can look for a venue near one of the 'Ten best wineries in Croatia'! All kidding aside, I am sure Nika would love to show her teammates around her culturally rich and beautiful country. I would love to visit Croatia someday.
10 best wineries in Croatia to visit in 2023
Reminds me of some classic dialogue from the 2019 Final Four when and Nika was putting on a pick and roll clinic in front of coaches from dozens of schools:
Jose Fernandez: Back off! She's ours!
Kevin McGuff: I went to a bar in Zagreb and asked for red wine, but they said that Geno drank it all last week.
Geno (in his head, probably): Good thing I sat next to this awhom111 character. Now the Boneyard posters will give my height a favorable Hartley unit conversion rate.

Reaction Score

I like your thinking---Nika for Uconn at home! OR Sister's team.
Generally Uconn did a European/Italian Trip for Geno et al. That hasn't happened and (if memory is correct) it didn't happen for a few years before Covid19 popped its filthy head on the scene.
I hope Nika gets OUR wish. I haven't been this high a PG since Sue Bird. Full disclosure--Lou and Dorka aren't far behind in my exalted view of these young ladies.

Reaction Score
Yes and not sure of the family financial situation but maybe a go-fund me thingy to get the parents the ability to attend the game. ;)
While it was illegal to fund Sveta Abrosamova's family trip--I suspect something along that line helped. Sveta said she saved her lunch money. Big lunches?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
While it was illegal to fund Sveta Abrosamova's family trip--I suspect something along that line helped. Sveta said she saved her lunch money. Big lunches?
Nope, not allowed. Fans can’t pay for the parents or family without getting UConn into trouble. I remember when Svet was hurt and people were sending her gifts and flowers and UConn had to ask fans to stop. It’s a violation, believe it or not

Reaction Score
Yes and not sure of the family financial situation but maybe a go-fund me thingy to get the parents the ability to attend the game. ;)
If not for that, maybe for senior day too.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"Nika Mühl will have a homecoming and she’ll be bringing some of her best friends with her."

“After the tournament I’ll be thinking about places I can take my girls,” Mühl said Friday. “It’s super-exciting to bring my family here to meet my first family.

Oh oh, CD!!!!! ;):rolleyes:

Can't view? Shut off JavaScript through lock icon in address line.

Reaction Score
"Nika Mühl will have a homecoming and she’ll be bringing some of her best friends with her."

“After the tournament I’ll be thinking about places I can take my girls,” Mühl said Friday. “It’s super-exciting to bring my family here to meet my first family.

Oh oh, CD!!!!! ;):rolleyes:

Can't view? Shut off JavaScript through lock icon in address line.
Couple more quotes from article:

“It’s going to be fun visiting countries I’ve never been to and visiting Nika’s home and Coach’s hometown,” UConn freshman Inês Bettencourt said.

“I’d like them to learn a little bit about the history. But I really want them to enjoy their time there, enjoy the European life style, the slow life. It’s so fast here. I hope they embrace it all and enjoy it the best we can.” (Nika)

Kind of funny that Nika perpetual motion Mühl says she wants her team to 'enjoy the European life style, the slow life. It’s so fast here'. Then again, I guess when she lets her hair down (literally) when home, as she said before her last summer break, she planned on spending a lot of time on the beach having cocktails.

I'm sure that their trip will be one more great lifetime memory these wonderful women can share together long after their days in Storrs.

But first things first, SIX WINS TO #12!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

UConn can always plan an "exhibition" game overseas. A game is a game as long as they have the blessings of the NCAA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom