Nika on her 3 years | The Boneyard

Nika on her 3 years

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I love she tells it like it is. Straight forward stand up accountability. So much to be respected as a player and person. So glad she has graced us with her presence.
It's called "maturity." She's older and wiser now and sees things differently. Good for her, and good for us. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I just noticed that her accent isn't as thick as it used to be.
Geno lost his accent. He spoke no English when he came here from Italy. Now he speaks without any hint of an accent. Some folks can do that, some can't.

Reaction Score
Always love listening to any of Nika's pressers. She is just so open and honest in her responses, nothing ever pat or caned. She isn't the least bit defensive or guarded just thoughtful and genuine in her responses. I do miss the humor and bursts of joy which was almost always present in her pressers her first couple years but as she has said she has matured a lot and taken on a much greater leadership role and with this very challenging season she has understandingly carried a much larger burden so we are often seeing a much more business like Nika in the pressers. If they can finish out this season the way they have worked so hard to do, I'm sure we will see a joyful Nika after that final game!

Reaction Score

Nika, I’m so pleased with your growth and maturity. Thank you for choosing UCONN, thank you for being a great teammate, thank you for leading your team, and thank you for (finally) listening to the coaches.
Congratulations on your awards, and may you receive many more. I still believe in you and your team, and pray that you‘ll find more success on the court this season. Go ahead and play smart while having lots of fun!

Reaction Score
Really how many kids are going to give that interview ('I was un-coachable and really still am some' but 'so grateful they (her coaches) didn't give up on me')? Geno has said that Nika is unique and he certainly is right on that one. Geno has many times described Nika as a pain in the ass and at the same time he credits her with changing, in a positive sense, the way the team has played each of her three seasons, and how he wouldn't want her to change the core of who she is.

In his preseason exchange with her when he told her 'if she stayed the way she was he would sit her ass on the bench even if he had no other guards' but if she listened to him and did what he and the team needed her to do she would have a great season'. He got that right as well. She listened, responded and has been this season the best version of herself on the court.

Nika's dad Darko at one point early on in Nika's time at Uconn, said in response to Geno's and Nika's embattled relationship in essence, 'she needs that and good luck to Geno'. I'm sure they still have their moments, but I would guess the temperature is way down, and the duration short and adjustments are immediately forthcoming. We won't see a tearful Nika on the bench unable to look Geno in eye as he pokes her arm to force her to listen, or her sitting out a key match up, anymore. IMO, they are way beyond that and truly rely on and trust one another.

Nika has said the reason that she, after years of wanting it, had Loyalty tattooed on the side of her neck was because that is the most important thing to her. She has self admittedly grown up and transformed herself leading into this season, I would speculate driven by, at least in equal parts or more likely greater so by, what she felt her team needed from her than a personal desire. I think much of the identity of the team that Geno has credited as being reflective of Nika is her sense of the great significance of loyalty. They truly care for and play their hearts out for each other.

Reaction Score
I would say that if Coach Auriemma has one defining trait, it is that he tells it like it is. He is pretty much the antithesis of a bullshitter.
Geno frequently plays mind games (i.e. bull feces). If you don't think so, then I guess you agree Rebecca was the worst big in the country and a multitude of excellent UConn players couldn't guard a chair. Yes, he always tells it like it is.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
also in many other interviews she says Ya'll a lot.
Having moved from the north to Alabama 37 years ago, I am curious as to what your point is! What do "y'all" say in lieu? Maybe Nika is from south Zagreb? :p

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geno frequently plays mind games (i.e. bull feces). If you don't think so, then I guess you agree Rebecca was the worst big in the country and a multitude of excellent UConn players couldn't guard a chair. Yes, he always tells it like it is.
You assume that what he says is false. It doesn’t need to be. All he needs to do is emphasize the things that need to be worked on.

Was Rebecca the worst big in America? Well, not when Kara Walters join the team, apparently.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Nika is an amazing young lady. Always forthright, never taking the limelight, or shying away from responsibility. Funny how such a pertinacious pest could be such a lovable character! ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom