Nika Muhl | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Nika's been switched onto posts at least three times in the last couple of games and not one of them has scored on her.

I remember when Saniya Chong was in the WNBA, one game she got switched onto a legitimate big a couple of times. She worked her butt off to deny the big the ball and the big never got the ball. UConn trains its guards well.

Reaction Score
It's from the video Icks which appeared in a different thread. The players were asked to describe their minor irritations (icks) with their teammates. The whole video is pretty funny, but Nika's is the funniest.
Thank you! That explains it.

Reactions: Kat
Reaction Score
Over the years, no aspect of being a fan of Geno's program has brought more satisfaction than watching talented, but otherwise unheralded players transition from competence to greatness under the tutelage of this coach and the staff he assembles. No better example of this phenomenon exists, in my opinion, than what we have witnessed with respect to the Croatian Fireplug! We knew from Day One that Nika would always bring a lot of passion to the floor, but we also knew that that passion was largely undisciplined, and that consistent foul trouble and a boatload of turnovers would surely result...and they did! Well, the passion remains, unalloyed, but the maturity and discipline that her time under this level of coaching talent has created has transformed her game immeasurably.

Basketball is a game of roles for any team that aspires to be great...we all know that. Yet, with respect to many of those roles, few are more under-appreciated by casual fans than the one that doesn't show up as ppg, but results in that statistic for others. Let a player offer ten to fifteen assists per game, in last night's case more than the entire Lady Vol team combined, I'll show you a legitimate All-American candidate, or one who should be. I could be wrong, but I cannot imagine Nika"s emergence as a player on so elite a level happening to the same degree under any other coaching staff at any other program, so this homage is dedicated as much to Geno a it is to Nika. So much fun to watch!!
I know this will be unpopular, but I think without any injuries to other players she would have been near the end of the bench if not on another team somewhere. Geno does not and has never played a lot of players unless forced to do so. I am very happy for Nika and love watching her play, but unfortunately Geno has played her because of injuries and sadly we would have never have known about her abilities and passion.

Reaction Score
I know this will be unpopular, but I think without any injuries to other players she would have been near the end of the bench if not on another team somewhere. Geno does not and has never played a lot of players unless forced to do so. I am very happy for Nika and love watching her play, but unfortunately Geno has played her because of injuries and sadly we would have never have known about her abilities and passion.
post/handle

Reaction Score
I found that this moment (at the end the players portion of the Providence postgame presser 2/1/23) speaks volumes about how much Nika has grown over her time at Uconn. Freshman year there was the hair ruffle upon departure and this year an empathetic hand on the shoulder of her coach. Couple that with her response to Maria (at the end of game courtside) after Maria cited her being only one assist away from a double double she quickly rebutted 'yeah practically a triple double with my turnovers'.

From being the kid that Geno had to put up with her downside because she was just so valuable to have on the court to where she is today as his trusted floor general and a rock for her teammates has and continues to show incredible growth, as much as a person, as her performance on the court. Just love this kid and have no worries that whether its on the basketball court or wherever life takes her she will be successful and always impact those around her in very positive ways.

View attachment 83750
Geno is so proud of this team, and what they have accomplished with their maturity and effort in dealing with adversity unprecedented in his tenure at UConn. When Nika, as team leader and spokesperson, acknowledged Geno's patience in guiding the team through this rough period, it appeared like he was trying to suppress tears of pride.

Reaction Score
Geno is so proud of this team, and what they have accomplished with their maturity and effort in dealing with adversity unprecedented in his tenure at UConn. When Nika, as team leader and spokesperson, acknowledged Geno's patience in guiding the team through this rough period, it appeared like he was trying to suppress tears of pride.
CD took them through a chunk of the schedule while Geno was out, kudos to her also.

Reaction Score
For her to play the way she did Wednesday, knowing that Aaliyah and Lou could not contribute significantly on the offensive end, was laudable. She became an offensive weapon, scoring 14 points on 6-9 shooting while dishing out 9 dimes and having 4 rebounds and 2 steals. Adding her points and assists, she had a full or partial responsibility for half of our points because she also was responsible for 6 changes of possession. Her energy level and conditioning is mind blowing and her will is second to none. She just has to be First Team All Big East. Once she gets a true pull up J over the summer and some more complete drive moves she will be a WNBA player.

Reaction Score
you are 100% right......it IS unpopular.

Reaction Score
For her to play the way she did Wednesday, knowing that Aaliyah and Lou could not contribute significantly on the offensive end, was laudable. She became an offensive weapon, scoring 14 points on 6-9 shooting while dishing out 9 dimes and having 4 rebounds and 2 steals. Adding her points and assists, she had a full or partial responsibility for half of our points because she also was responsible for 6 changes of possession. Her energy level and conditioning is mind blowing and her will is second to none. She just has to be First Team All Big East. Once she gets a true pull up J over the summer and some more complete drive moves she will be a WNBA player.
Some players are just better suited to different styles of offenses. Nika and Aubrey are at their best in uptempo games. So many times I see Nika on a push, but the other players can't keep up. She has a serious motor. Next year, with healthy players I anticipate a much more up-tempo UCONN offense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some players are just better suited to different styles of offenses. Nika and Aubrey are at their best in uptempo games. So many times I see Nika on a push, but the other players can't keep up. She has a serious motor. Next year, with healthy players I anticipate a much more up-tempo UCONN offense.
Can't wait for that. Now that we see the new motoring Nika, if she has knock down shooters like Azzi and Paige and slashers like Aubrey and Caroline on the break, who knows how many assists she could have in a game. 20? Not far fetched at all.

Reaction Score
Can't wait for that. Now that we see the new motoring Nika, if she has knock down shooters like Azzi and Paige and slashers like Aubrey and Caroline on the break, who knows how many assists she could have in a game. 20? Not far fetched at all.
For sure. Paige is brilliant looking ahead on the break too. Like Larry Bird was, but Bird didn't have to play the point either.

Reaction Score
For sure. Paige is brilliant looking ahead on the break too. Like Larry Bird was, but Bird didn't have to play the point either.
I was pretty close to the court at the Seton Hall away game and I looked at her eyes when she got the ball in transition. Always focused up court and you can see her visualizing where the play is going to be. More like Jason Kidd than Larry Legend to me. Bird was seeing two plays in advance. Next year for her.

Reaction Score
I was pretty close to the court at the Seton Hall away game and I looked at her eyes when she got the ball in transition. Always focused up court and you can see her visualizing where the play is going to be. More like Jason Kidd than Larry Legend to me. Bird was seeing two plays in advance. Next year for her.
Tremendous!
Nothing like live sports. Damn I miss it, living in AK. I'll be back sooner or later. Maybe NH.

Reaction Score
Tremendous!
Nothing like live sports. Damn I miss it, living in AK. I'll be back sooner or later. Maybe NH.
If you think you like them on TV, there's no comparison in person. I took three friends, two of whom played mens D1 and the other of whom played high school ball. We went for great pizza beforehand on the way to the game. For all 3, it was their first women's game live. They loved watching UCONN. Who did they like the best? Nika. "She plays like a guy" they all said. She had 13 assists, 6 boards, and completely shut down Park-Lane. Her facial expressions are the best which you get to see when you are up close. Right before the end of the first quarter Nika tried to thread a bullet bounce pass to Aaliyah and it led her too much and was a turnover. Geno screamed at her and her face said " Give me a break Dude, we are up 16 and I am on fire tonight with the ball".

Reaction Score
If you think you like them on TV, there's no comparison in person. I took three friends, two of whom played mens D1 and the other of whom played high school ball. We went for great pizza beforehand on the way to the game. For all 3, it was their first women's game live. They loved watching UCONN. Who did they like the best? Nika. "She plays like a guy" they all said. She had 13 assists, 6 boards, and completely shut down Park-Lane. Her facial expressions are the best which you get to see when you are up close. Right before the end of the first quarter Nika tried to thread a bullet bounce pass to Aaliyah and it led her too much and was a turnover. Geno screamed at her and her face said " Give me a break Dude, we are up 16 and I am on fire tonight with the ball".
Brilliant! I love it!
When I lived in MD I used to go to Philly to see UConn-Temple every year. Went 3X. Gabby, Guns.
Light crowds there. I loved seeing the little girls with UConn jerseys. I liked getting there early and watching their methodical warmup routine, and how they run everywhere together as a team.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

I have to ask - are you serious?

Nika showed her leadership skills in the second half of her freshman year. The team played better with her on the court. That continued last year and this year there should be no question in any one's mind about Nika's abilities.

Reaction Score
I have to ask - are you serious?

Nika showed her leadership skills in the second half of her freshman year. The team played better with her on the court. That continued last year and this year there should be no question in any one's mind about Nika's abilities.
In addition, Geno has repeatedly said going back two years that he likes the team better when Nika is out there. She has that contagious fire in the belly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom