Nika Muhl | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I know this will be unpopular, but I think without any injuries to other players she would have been near the end of the bench if not on another team somewhere. Geno does not and has never played a lot of players unless forced to do so. I am very happy for Nika and love watching her play, but unfortunately Geno has played her because of injuries and sadly we would have never have known about her abilities and passion.
Wow, you know nothing. Nika didn't start because of injuries, she started because Geno wanted Paige to move over to the SG position.

Reaction Score
I have to ask - are you serious?

Nika showed her leadership skills in the second half of her freshman year. The team played better with her on the court. That continued last year and this year there should be no question in any one's mind about Nika's abilities.
He only played her when the injuries started.

Reaction Score
Nika is the leader of this team and they will go as far as she can take them. She has grit and when she talks the other players listen and try to play with her passion. Leadership is one thing that isn't in the stat line but probably is the most important trait in a point guard and for that I think she certainly will be finalist for any PG award.

Reaction Score
If Nike isn't in the next Nancy Lieberman PG award watch list, I'm gonna start throwing things.
It is time to put a "reminder" on... to VOTE at HOOPHALLAWARDS daily. I just read where
the next round of 'selections", i.e., down from 10 to 5 is determined by the committee and
that the "fan vote" will be equal to the vote of one committee member voter. Your VOTE counts. It
is probably also essential for both Aaliyah and Dorka as well.... The competition is very fierce. We need for
all of the UCONN players to get to the FINAL FIVE players.

Reaction Score
Sorry if this sounds critical, but IMO Geno needed to exploit his advantage at point guard more. Nika was ready for a career game. Heck she scored 9 points in the first quarter. The packed in D that Geno used IMO did not take enough advantage of his favorable matchups. Would have been so fun to see Nika hawk Johnson. I bet she could have frustrated Johnson. Steals?
And by so doing you force their posts to come out. Darn.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Sorry if this sounds critical, but IMO Geno needed to exploit his advantage at point guard more. Nika was ready for a career game. Heck she scored 9 points in the first quarter. The packed in D that Geno used IMO did not take enough advantage of his favorable matchups. Would have been so fun to see Nika hawk Johnson. I bet she could have frustrated Johnson. Steals?
And by so doing you force their posts to come out. Darn.
Perhaps, but there's also a risk of Nika fouling more than the team could absorb?

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but there's also a risk of Nika fouling more than the team could absorb?
That hasn't been happening THIS YEAR. Was it more fun watching her get fouls wrestling with SC bigs inside?
You play the good cards you are dealt!

Reaction Score
Wow, you know nothing. Nika didn't start because of injuries, she started because Geno wanted Paige to move over to the SG position.
+1.
If someone doesn't like Geno’s substitution patterns and/or you think Nika is a bit overrated/ (i.e Ines being overrated on here), then the view of Nika’s minutes would be tainted to suggest she wouldn't play much. .

The fact is, after Paige got hurt vs Tenn, the next game Nika started and played 36 minutes vs GTown. The next game they play Ark, and she played the 4th most minutes (more than 4 other players). If it was all about injuries then she would have gone immediately to the bench when Paige came back and she wouldn't have been 4th in minutes either. The next game she was 6th in minutes- more than Edwards. And after that she became the regular starter. Where's this stuff about "injury?"

As for this year’s team - anyone that thinks that Nika wouldn't have gotten minutes imo is way off base. UCONN would have had one of their greatest teams of all-time. We see what Azzi was doing, and what Paige has done (their level of play was off-the-charts great). What Caroline is capable of. Of course Geno would have played small ball more too. Those that speak of Geno’s history of minutes surely know he has no qualms playing small ball. And this team would have been destroying so many other teams so early, do we understand how many teams would have been wiped out by halftime and many earlier? Imagine the other teams that had UCONN on their schedule with 5/6 games in 12 days???? It would be like the old days whne you used to sympthize with the opposition.

How anyone can think that with the firepower UCONN would have had on top of UCONN playing small ball would have been with Paige, Azzi, Lou, Caroline, Aubrey, Edwards and even Dorka- with a true pg that relishes to "feed the ball;" that Nika wouldn’t have seen minutes? Combined with the strength of the team that would have been extreme scoring from their wings imo is way off base not realizing what a pass first pg would do for overall "prolific wings." . And let's not mention her defense. Nika's style of play would have fit beautifully to all the firepower while her defense is top shelf.

Reaction Score
I'm not talking about last year if that is what you are referring to. Freshmen year, Nika started to get Paige to shoot more. That was Genos solution, to have Nika run the point so Paige could get more shooting opportunities.
The statement Nika only started because Paige was injured is true for both her underclass seasons.

Nika's first start in her Freshmen year was game 10 when Paige was out. She then went back to the bench for the next 2 games.

Nika's second start in her Freshman year was game 13 when Williams was out. She then stayed in the starting lineup for most of the remainder of the season.

The fifth starter that season was Makurat (6), Edwards (6) or Griffin (5) and eventually Muhl (15).
Note: Twice two of those listed started together in Games 10 (Griffin & Muhl) & 13 (Edwards & Muhl).

1675727729933.png

Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma on Nika Mühl: “She’s had an incredible year … Nika’s our identity. She’s the one that drives us.”

How much pressure do you think this kid is under this season? She's been asked to play more minutes than any other teammate and all but 9 minutes in the last 10 games, (6 minute break in one game and one minute each in three others), the team has been working through a rough patch and you're coach says you are the 'identity' of the team and 'the one that drives us'

Nika isn't immune to all the struggles that her teammates have endured (limited help from the bench, injures to key teammates, physical, mental and emotional fatigue). Even as Geno finds a few minutes here and there to rest the other starters, Nika remains on the floor. I don't believe it is because Geno doesn't feel she needs a break - IMO it's because he doesn't feel he can not have her on the floor.

In various press conferences throughout the season she has said she welcomes pressure and the challenges placed on her, but despite her reputation for endless energy and a no quit attitude, she actually is human so, IMO, it has to be a heavy burden to carry.

Hopefully Azzi will return soon, Caroline will continue to get back to the player she was and the other reserves will build on the contributions they are now making. If we can get back to full strength TO's should drop, assists rise, offensive production increase and we can finish out the seasons with smiles and joy..... and Nika might get a breather here and there.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom