Nika Muhl | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What does that say about Aubrey's progress from year 1 to year 2 when 2 freshman is ahead of her in the rotation? Didn't Geno say that Aubrey is like 100 times better this year than last year?
Actually 3. But who's counting? :cool:

Reaction Score
Nobody is hoping any player doesn't succeed. Let's make that clear. These ladies choose to put themselves under the Boneyard microscope when they come here. If they want to be ignored they can play for a division 2 school in Montana..
Correct!
Let's not kid ourselves. Not a single UCONN player chose or would choose to be under a BY microscope; they are ALL much smarter than that. They choose to play basketball at UCONN the BY is insignificant to that decision.
Whoa whoa whoa! I’m pretty sure there is a “Boneyard Microscope Waiver” paragraph in the UCONN Letter of Intent...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From what I have seen, I just wouldn't call her slow, especially with the foot injury. If she is slow, she has no real chance at this level and at her size to contribute much. Why would Geno recruit such a player from Europe when he can get one like that down the road? I guess that is influencing me a bit too. Players are much better today than they were 15 -20 years ago when a slow, shortish guard could have success.

Geno can mix and match with EW, CW and PB as they are all guards. He can use AE at power forward and even use AM for a bit at the wing. So really, if that works well, and it very well could, we might only see 5-6 minutes from NM. If Geno goes long in minutes there with EW, CW and PB, it is not a long term indication of NM's abilities. She has been in a boot for a while and just getting used to things in USA and playing for Geno. She isn't going to light the world on fire in her 3rd or 4th game - most freshmen don't.
I don't think anybody knows how well AE will respond but she has shown enough for me to say, that I think she will at least give us some good minutes in the post: rebounds, set picks, box out, play defense and get a few points. I'm hoping for something like 6-8 points and the same in rebounds. That would be a good game at this stage of her freshman year. Anything more, I would be extremely happy to see.

But if Anna goes off, then AE's minutes will be reduced. So we will see.

IMO I don't agree with your assessment about not having a real chance if a player is slow. We can agree to disagree. I've heard on here in the past how the game has "evolved" because of size and I never believed that either. Nor do I believe a player that is slow can't become a very good basketball player. OFC it depends on the degree of slow. If you're talking "extremely slow" then yes but not all "slow" is the same just as you have fast then uber-fast. If one were to compare fast vs Moriah Jefferson then nearly everyone is slow. . But as I have said I haven't written her off- so slow to me for her isn't "extremely slow." IMO, quality players with good fundamentals can always find a role with ultimate success imo.

The other point - :) I have not said Nika can't be a terrific contributor this season - so I have never mentioned she should be buried in any manner. That's why I said she'll have opportunities and then we can see how she progresses. I just think this 1st big game vs Baylor I don't think she'll see substantial backup minutes if the game is tight throughout because she hasn't played enough. She may very well though. We'll see. Great if she does and UCONN wins. So I agree with you that this game has no long term implications for her even if she doesn't see significant backup minutes- because I believe a slow player can still be a darn good contributor for 4 years - if she is slow. I said she appears slow and it's possible she becomes much more in terms of quickness/speed- I just want to see it instead of being told she has it. I don't know the degree of her injury. vs what she was before. When I have said I am skeptical-- "skeptical" is not "definitive." So, additionally, I agree with you - that she won't light the world on fire this early either, but nor does she have to be. So being skeptical this early doesn't mean much as I have said I am looking forward to seeing how she progresses throughout the season.**And imo I think players and teams can progress during many blowouts. Otherwise that's like saying our many title teams never improved as the season progressed; as they wiped out nearly everyone. When I said she plays during blowouts I didn't mean put her in in the "4th quarter." Put her in in the 1st quarter / whatever Geno thinks fine by me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually 3. But who's counting? :cool:
Aubrey could be significantly better, and still be no better than the third option at PF (behind Anna and Aaliyah), C (behind Liv and Aaliyah) and SF (behind Anna and Evina). Aaliyah could push her down a position compared to last year at the big positions, and Evina can do the same at SF.

That of course assumes that Aaliyah and Evina are considered better, but last year Aubrey didn't have them as competition for playing time. Are there some players that may improve significantly from this year to next and get half as much playing time next year? Of course, they have to improve enough to stay ahead of Azzi, Amari, Carolyn and Saylor, with perhaps Evina being the only departure.

Mir has an even more challenging scenario. Personally I would like to free up more time for Aubrey, Mir and Aaliyah, by ultimately starting Aailyah and moving Anna or Evina, probably Anna to the bench. It appears that we have three legitimate PF candidates. If not right now, soon I feel confident Geno can fill all of the PF minutes with PF's, instead of a natural wing. I hope that happens but the Boneyard is very split on that issue.

Reaction Score
IMO I don't agree with your assessment about not having a real chance if a player is slow. We can agree to disagree. I've heard on here in the past how the game has "evolved" because of size and I never believed that either. Nor do I believe a player that is slow can't become a very good basketball player. OFC it depends on the degree of slow. If you're talking "extremely slow" then yes but not all "slow" is the same just as you have fast then uber-fast. If one were to compare fast vs Moriah Jefferson then nearly everyone is slow. . But as I have said I haven't written her off- so slow to me for her isn't "extremely slow." IMO, quality players with good fundamentals can always find a role with ultimate success imo.

The other point - :) I have not said Nika can't be a terrific contributor this season - so I have never mentioned she should be buried in any manner. That's why I said she'll have opportunities and then we can see how she progresses. I just think this 1st big game vs Baylor I don't think she'll see substantial backup minutes if the game is tight throughout because she hasn't played enough. She may very well though. We'll see. Great if she does and UCONN wins. So I agree with you that this game has no long term implications for her even if she doesn't see significant backup minutes- because I believe a slow player can still be a darn good contributor for 4 years - if she is slow. I said she appears slow and it's possible she becomes much more in terms of quickness/speed- I just want to see it instead of being told she has it. I don't know the degree of her injury. vs what she was before. When I have said I am skeptical-- "skeptical" is not "definitive." So, additionally, I agree with you - that she won't light the world on fire this early either, but nor does she have to be. So being skeptical this early doesn't mean much as I have said I am looking forward to seeing how she progresses throughout the season.**And imo I think players and teams can progress during many blowouts. Otherwise that's like saying our many title teams never improved as the season progressed; as they wiped out nearly everyone. When I said she plays during blowouts I didn't mean put her in in the "4th quarter." Put her in in the 1st quarter / whatever Geno thinks fine by me.
Hoop, I haven't reread the thread to determine the degree of slow you or possibly others were talking about. At this point, I'm just going to say how I feel about it without splitting hairs here.

IMHO, I don't think NM is slow or at least I have not seen evidence of it yet. She has had some problems as all freshman have, most notably guards, and that is to keep players in front of her. I've noticed she likes to swipe at the ball or get handsy which I think is how she has always played and now she can't get away with this. I can't see how her lateral quickness has not been compromised by her foot injury, so I think at minimum this has exacerbated the issue or at maximum, it is the root cause of the issue with regard to her lateral quickness.

I also don't think Geno would go half way across the world to recruit a player of NM's size if she is slow, whatever the degree of slow she is or may be. She plays a position that requires lateral quickness and she doesn't have the height to play other positions so she needs to play the point. Slow point guards, no matter the degree of slow, are compromised on defense.

In today's game, I think a slow guard, no matter the degree of slow, will have a harder time being productive, unless she has another attribute that is well above average, such as length. NM has good length for a point, not great. From the little I have seen and from what I have heard, she is a very good passer.

The coming weeks will determine how 'slow' she is. However, I still think she may be challenged defensively until she breaks her habits of not moving her feet and swiping at the ball. This will take time, possibly her entire freshman year.

In summary and based on a very small sample size, IMHO, I haven't seen anything yet that, at minimum would preclude her from being a good player to bring in off the bench and even possibly a spot starter. Of course, I have made projections and assumptions regarding her foot in forming this opinion.

Of course, I could always be wrong as well. I sincerely hope this clears up my position on the topic.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hoop, I haven't reread the thread to determine the degree of slow you or possibly others were talking about. At this point, I'm just going to say how I feel about it without splitting hairs here.

IMHO, I don't think NM is slow or at least I have not seen evidence of it yet. She has had some problems as all freshman have, most notably guards, and that is to keep players in front of her. I've noticed she likes to swipe at the ball or get handsy which I think is how she has always played and now she can't get away with this. I can't see how her lateral quickness has not be compromised by her foot injury, so I think at minimum this has exacerbated the issue or at maximum, it is the root cause of the issue with regard to her lateral quickness.

I also don't think Geno would go half way across the world to recruit a player of NM's size if she is slow, whatever the degree of slow she is or may be. She plays a position that requires lateral quickness and she doesn't have the height to play other positions so she needs to play the point. Slow point guards, no matter the degree of slow, are compromised on defense.

In today's game, I think a slow guard, no matter the degree of slow, will have a harder time being productive, unless she has another attribute that is well above average, such as length. NM has good length for a point, not great. From the little I have seen and from what I have heard, she is a very good passer.

The coming weeks will determine how 'slow' she is. However, I still think she may be challenged defensively until she breaks her habits of not moving her feet and swiping at the ball. This will take time, possibly her entire freshman year.

In summary and based on a very small sample size, IMHO, I haven't seen anything yet that, at minimum would preclude her from being a good player to bring in off the bench and even possibly a spot starter. Of course, I have made projections and assumptions regarding her foot in forming this opinion.

Of course, I could always be wrong as well. I sincerely hope this clears up my position on the topic.

Loved your post and prior post.

. We have an interesting difference. I think you do travel halfway around the world for quality players. We didn't have enough "quality" from the bench the past couple of years. And while some players have length -- Nika's strength is passing. That quality is awesome for a pg.

Just as a FYI - I didn't quantify slow ever until I replied to you. I didn't know when I made the initial post that I'd get so many replies from you and others. Just as you say "Nika will have a harder time if she is slow" - how do we define harder? Nealryu every player has a hard time to some degree. In our posts we can't account for everything- especially the 1st one. Just as I also mentioned "play her in blowouts"-- I didn't mean only late late in games. Otherwise how far do I need to define that?

IMO sure she'll have hard time but only top 5-10 players have a certain "easy time." Otherwise Nika would have been a top 10 recruit. Add up if she is slow, but tough, a great passer in which she you think you can turn into decent shooter, then she could be one of a heck of a bench player and maybe more. UCONN doesn't need to press press press. A great passing backup pg who could play decent defense even if she is slow coupled with great passing skills, smart, tough and eventually improve her shot (if Kelly Faris can improve her shot the way she did by her sr year then so can Nika), you have a quality player that can become an eventual starter.

Thanks for the discussion! Pacosweed or whatever his or her name will be happy now that I'm done. If you reply would love to hear- and I won't reply - giving you last pov-if you wish otherwise thanks again.

Reaction Score
Loved your post and prior post.

. We have an interesting difference. I think you do travel halfway around the world for quality players. We didn't have enough "quality" from the bench the past couple of years. And while some players have length -- Nika's strength is passing. That quality is awesome for a pg.

Just as a FYI - I didn't quantify slow ever until I replied to you. I didn't know when I made the initial post that I'd get so many replies from you and others. Just as you say "Nika will have a harder time if she is slow" - how do we define harder? Nealryu every player has a hard time to some degree. In our posts we can't account for everything- especially the 1st one. Just as I also mentioned "play her in blowouts"-- I didn't mean only late late in games. Otherwise how far do I need to define that?

IMO sure she'll have hard time but only top 5-10 players have a certain "easy time." Otherwise Nika would have been a top 10 recruit. Add up if she is slow, but tough, a great passer in which she you think you can turn into decent shooter, then she could be one of a heck of a bench player and maybe more. UCONN doesn't need to press press press. A great passing backup pg who could play decent defense even if she is slow coupled with great passing skills, smart, tough and eventually improve her shot (if Kelly Faris can improve her shot the way she did by her sr year then so can Nika), you have a quality player that can become an eventual starter.

Thanks for the discussion! Pacosweed or whatever his or her name will be happy now that I'm done. If you reply would love to hear- and I won't reply - giving you last pov-if you wish otherwise thanks again.

Reaction Score
I enjoy this conversation as well Hoop. It's pretty cool we can have a passionate debate over a player that will probably never even start at uconn. Sometimes it is hard to not infer things when it is written and inevitably we can get it all wrong.

I do know and think you will agree the if NM can provide strong minutes off the bench, it will make us a lot better team as Geno can keep his guards fresh and use EW primarily at the wing. That would be heck of an advantage as it also has a further knock on effect of keeping AM primarily at the 4 and I think we can agree that AM is not a great defender especially if she has to play against wings.

I think where we may differ is that if NM is indeed slow, IMHO she will not be very good defensively and therefore not get many minutes. She has to be at last adequate defensively. I remember S Chong who could score 15 a game in my opinion but had little to offer defensively and got buried on the bench in favour of Nurse, even when Nurse was a freshman and S. Chong just hung 20 on Stanford (IIRC). IMHO, after that Chong only played bc Geno had to play her not bc he preferred too.

If guards with the size of NM don't have the quickness to at least be adequate perimeter defenders, I don't think they will get much time unless there is simply no other option.

Let's hope NM can show us and more importantly Geno, that she can play perimeter defense. I think she has a good chance to succeed or at least be adequate in this area and therefore eventually get more minutes. We may know the answer this year or next.

Reaction Score
Muhl tried playing hurt, I wonder how often all of you calling her slow ever tried playing hurt and didn’t have it have some physical affect on your game. When she comes back, she will without a doubt get minutes and not just in blowouts. She has impressed some pretty astute basketball minds in a short time, not the least of which are Auriemma and Popovich.
My guess is that she will not be ready for the DePaul game. Why force it ( her foot injury) if it is less than 100%? The next game ( Baylor ) is not for 10 days, and that rest will make the difference. Ironically, she likely will not play against Baylor.....been off the court too long......and it is big game test for the team.

I look for her to work her way back into playing time, immediately after the Baylor game.

Reaction Score
I enjoy this conversation as well Hoop. It's pretty cool we can have a passionate debate over a player that will probably never even start at uconn. Sometimes it is hard to not infer things when it is written and inevitably we can get it all wrong.

I do know and think you will agree the if NM can provide strong minutes off the bench, it will make us a lot better team as Geno can keep his guards fresh and use EW primarily at the wing. That would be heck of an advantage as it also has a further knock on effect of keeping AM primarily at the 4 and I think we can agree that AM is not a great defender especially if she has to play against wings.

I think where we may differ is that if NM is indeed slow, IMHO she will not be very good defensively and therefore not get many minutes. She has to be at last adequate defensively. I remember S Chong who could score 15 a game in my opinion but had little to offer defensively and got buried on the bench in favour of Nurse, even when Nurse was a freshman and S. Chong just hung 20 on Stanford (IIRC). IMHO, after that Chong only played bc Geno had to play her not bc he preferred too.

If guards with the size of NM don't have the quickness to at least be adequate perimeter defenders, I don't think they will get much time unless there is simply no other option.

Let's hope NM can show us and more importantly Geno, that she can play perimeter defense. I think she has a good chance to succeed or at least be adequate in this area and therefore eventually get more minutes. We may know the answer this year or next.
Why is everyone convinced she is slow? Her early games at UCONN were hampered by a foot injury she was trying to " play through."

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Let's not kid ourselves. Not a single UCONN player chose or would choose to be under a BY microscope; they are ALL much smarter than that. They choose to play basketball at UCONN the BY is insignificant to that decision.
Nobody is hoping any player doesn't succeed. Let's make that clear. These ladies choose to put themselves under the Boneyard microscope when they come here. If they want to be ignored they can play for a division 2 school in Montana..
You actually believe these kids care about the Boneyarders' opinions? They only care about Geno, CD, Shea, and Jamelle's opinion. Only Boneyarders care about Boneyarders' opinions.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I just can’t read this whole thread. There is a discussion about her being slow. She tried to play on a bad ankle after an abbreviated preseason prep. Hussein Bolt would not be so great on a bad ankle. The need to make evaluations based on an irrelevant sample is mystifying. GA clearly sees her as the number 1 back up point guard. Griffin and she will never have the same role. Sorry if this repeats anyone else.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Why is everyone convinced she is slow? Her early games at UCONN were hampered by a foot injury she was trying to " play through."
Who you calling "everyone"! ;-) Don't confuse verbosity with numbers. Way back up this errant thread I called the claim "ridiculous" and I suspect the vast majority of members would think the same.

Geno to Shea 18 months ago: "Go to Europe and find me another point guard. Just make sure she's slow!"

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My guess is that she will not be ready for the DePaul game. Why force it ( her foot injury) if it is less than 100%? The next game ( Baylor ) is not for 10 days, and that rest will make the difference. Ironically, she likely will not play against Baylor.....been off the court too long......and it is big game test for the team.

I look for her to work her way back into playing time, immediately after the Baylor game.

Aw, c'mon, I'd love to see her show DiDi some European defense moves. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc