Nika Muhl | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Calling her slow is ridiculous. In Europe she made a career out of stealing the ball and burning it to the other end for a layup. Blatantly false as a mere passing glance at her European footage demonstrates. Her defensive footwork is also very good and accounts for a lot of those steals. The penchant some have for all but burying recruits early in their freshman year does not reflect well on the some.
My view is somewhere between your two comments. While we know what she did in Europe and that Geno went out of his way to recruit her, in the few snapshots seen for UConn, she does not appear quick. Could it be her injury, her lack of knowledge of UConn's schemes, the self imposed pressure of frosh year at UConn? Let's have this conversation after she plays another 10+ games.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My view is somewhere between your two comments. While we know what she did in Europe and that Geno went out of his way to recruit her, in the few snapshots seen for UConn, she does not appear quick. Could it be her injury, her lack of knowledge of UConn's schemes, the self imposed pressure of frosh year at UConn? Let's have this conversation after she plays another 10+ games.
The beauty of sports. It should play out on the court if Covid will leave the program alone. I will be surprised in Nika sits because she is slow. Maria Conlon was the last slow guard Geno recruited.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Muhl tried playing hurt, I wonder how often all of you calling her slow ever tried playing hurt and didn’t have it have some physical affect on your game. When she comes back, she will without a doubt get minutes and not just in blowouts. She has impressed some pretty astute basketball minds in a short time, not the least of which are Auriemma and Popovich.

Reaction Score
Muhl tried playing hurt, I wonder how often all of you calling her slow ever tried playing hurt and didn’t have it have some physical affect on your game. When she comes back, she will without a doubt get minutes and not just in blowouts. She has impressed some pretty astute basketball minds in a short time, not the least of which are Auriemma and Popovich.
Well said Littlemin. It is much too early to write Muhl off. She also has a toughness to her game and mentality that is lacking some in today's game. I'm sure Geno appreciates this more than the average joe...

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
My only concern with Nika is that she heals fast and completely. She has plenty of talent and altheticism, but needs some time to adjust to the NCAA style in real games. Her biggest challenge, IMO, is to establish her value and role this year ASAP before the logjam of talent hits the gym next season.

Reaction Score
The beauty of sports. It should play out on the court if Covid will leave the program alone. I will be surprised in Nika sits because she is slow. Maria Conlon was the last slow guard Geno recruited.

And if she had Con

She never looked that fast during the little I saw even in Europe too. And just because she had a lot of steals-- Larry Bird had a lot of steals too comparing him vs other NBA players. But Larry Bird had them in pro ball- while Nika has not had them yet in college. I hope you're right. Until I see it - it's okay if I am skeptical, right? And right now from what I see - she was slow - and I have no idea how much the degree of the injury has affected her from practice one maybe she was extremely fast then gradually slowed or was hurt from day in practice etc. . You could guess/ project but I don't think anyone here knows. There are posters that wanted to see Paige in college before making a prediction. Are they wrong for doing that? Until I see it-- I'm just like the ones that wanted to see Paige. Or the ones that want to see more of Liv (I predicted she'd be 3rd team a/a or possibly better to start season however she lost two opportunities to go at Louisville and Miss State which hurts her in the view nationally imo.). Telling me that she is fast when I haven't seen it - and it's not like I can see her many Europe games on the internet. I had said many, many times that Edwards would not be a small forward much at all at UCONN too. But with Nika I just need to see more. I hope you and others nailed it with her.

And I doubt if game is close vs Baylor - if not foul trouble or very poor play from other guards/ wings etc- that she gets legit backup minutes. Other than Baylor and SC - and a game with DePaul or Marquette all other games will be blowouts. So regardless if she doesn't see vs Baylor- she'll get a lot of opportunities throughout this this season. I hope you're right. And I am very eager to see. All the players will have lots of opportunities (as long as games don't get canceled.).

If the Baylor game is close throughout - you really think Geno is going to play her - in that he hasn't seen her in a game in which she was healthy ? We just heard with the talked about practices vs games- and her style of rough defense - she may be committing too many fouls. I'm not saying without a doubt . . . - just saying I am skeptical.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
As I said- I hope I'm wrong. And really "wrong" is the "wrong" word. More like - "hopeful to see" very good play eventually. Anyway, she'll get enough open looks to see if she can knock down shots. I'm rooting for your assessment of the games you cited to be more representative of the player she is/ will become as the season progresses.

In terms of Geno, imo he puts in players at start of season with an expectation of progression. Not all players progress in the way he'd like them to while others progress at a much higher rate than the players that don't .- Ergo- too valuable to take out. . I'm concerned that she isn't going to show that progression this year but obviously love it if she does. And obviously my concern means nothing. We can all watch her play - because I expect she'll get minutes because I expect a lot of blowouts. So I am eager to see what she can do.
We have a much better chance to see her progress getting meaningful minutes, she needs to break a sweat and get into the flow of a real game. If she is ready Geno will know, therefore we will know as well, by the way coach uses her. I feel all of us want her to be a rotation player and we should be able to see the path in a few days. Like you I am pulling for her.

Reaction Score
And if she had Con

She never looked that fast during the little I saw even in Europe too. And just because she had a lot of steals-- Larry Bird had a lot of steals too comparing him vs other NBA players. But Larry Bird had them in pro ball- while Nika has not had them yet in college. I hope you're right. Until I see it - it's okay if I am skeptical, right? And right now from what I see - she was slow - and I have no idea how much the degree of the injury has affected her from practice one maybe she was extremely fast then gradually slowed or was hurt from day in practice etc. . You could guess/ project but I don't think anyone here knows. There are posters that wanted to see Paige in college before making a prediction. Are they wrong for doing that? Until I see it-- I'm just like the ones that wanted to see Paige. Or the ones that want to see more of Liv (I predicted she'd be 3rd team a/a or possibly better to start season however she lost two opportunities to go at Louisville and Miss State which hurts her in the view nationally imo.). Telling me that she is fast when I haven't seen it - and it's not like I can see her many Europe games on the internet. I had said many, many times that Edwards would not be a small forward much at all at UCONN too. But with Nika I just need to see more. I hope you and others nailed it with her.

And I doubt if game is close vs Baylor - if not foul trouble or very poor play from other guards/ wings etc- that she gets legit backup minutes. Other than Baylor and SC - and a game with DePaul or Marquette all other games will be blowouts. So regardless if she doesn't see vs Baylor- she'll get a lot of opportunities throughout this this season. I hope you're right. And I am very eager to see. All the players will have lots of opportunities (as long as games don't get canceled.).

If the Baylor game is close throughout - you really think Geno is going to play her - in that he hasn't seen her in a game in which she was healthy ? We just heard with the talked about practices vs games- and her style of rough defense - she may be committing too many fouls. I'm not saying without a doubt . . . - just saying I am skeptical.
I hear ya Hoop. But I am confused..are you saying Nika is slow? I don't think she is slow. She might not be MoJeff fast but I think she is in the (near) lead for wind sprints for the guards. I wouldn't say I am skeptical, but I would like to see if she can improve on keeping players in front of her and all freshman have this problem.

NM also likes to swipe at the ball too often and in doing so, slows her feet and lateral movement skills. From what I have seen, I think she has promise in this area to improve and be at last an above average defender. But she has to stop swiping and keep moving her feet. I don't see anything that suggests she is slow.

Also, IMHO, if she doesn't get much time at Baylor, it is an indication of how well the starters are doing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hope you are correct. Gabby had a very specific and productive role, particularly as a soph on. She moved/cut constantly, lead the team in pick and roles, driving for layups, and taking attention away from the 3 point shooters. Teams needed to guard Gabby.
Gabby was always one of my favorites to watch an isolation on game replays. She just produced one jaw dropping moment after another and her constant movement reminded me of Rip Hamilton on the men’s team. His motor never quit.

Reaction Score
And if she had Con

So you saw a small sample size of Europe tapes with no idea of the speed of the other players, a couple of minutes of games here playing hurt and decided she is slow. And saying she “never looked that fast” is not being skeptical, it is passing judgement. If you can tell all that from the little you have seen of Muhl, I hope you make a living evaluating athletes.
As for meaningful minutes, since we have had all blowouts, I guess Bueckers and Edwards have yet to play a meaningful minute by your criteria.

Reaction Score
So you saw a small sample size of Europe tapes with no idea of the speed of the other players, a couple of minutes of games here playing hurt and decided she is slow. And saying she “never looked that fast” is not being skeptical, it is passing judgement. If you can tell all that from the little you have seen of Muhl, I hope you make a living evaluating athletes.
As for meaningful minutes, since we have had all blowouts, I guess Bueckers and Edwards have yet to play a meaningful minute by your criteria.

The definition of skeptical is "Not easily convinced." "Having reservations."

It is NOT NOT NOT "passing judgement." :) She didn't look fast and right now she has not been fast but I hope I'm wrong is NOT NOT NOT passing judgement.

And what you are trying to say about my definition is NOT what I said from my 1st post (maybe you didn't read my 1st post?). Or you're trying to change my narrative.? :)

Paige is going to play because she can not only pass but she can shoot. I have questioned Nika's shooting ability too. As many have I believe (thus another poster brought up Maria Conlon. But that wasn't relevant if you also take shooting into account. Just looking at sped sure- but for me I did include BOTH when speaking of Nika.). And Edwards is going to play because she has showed she can rebound and she can finish inside.

Nika has showed she can make a nice pass- I think like many she is a good passer - but what else has she showed?

You seem to want to argue with me so bad- :)- then please tell me- if Baylor game is close- do you think Nika is going to play if the game is tight? You see-- my definition is that I have seen Paige and Edwards perform vs the sub-tier teams. I have not seen Nika perform well vs the sub tier teams. So if the game is tight-- you think she is going to play? if you say "YES!" then great!!! Great great I hope she does and she is part of an eventual blowout in which she helped to create. But I am skeptical. Me being skeptical is NOT "passing judgement." As I said - I want to see more. But with Paige and Edwards I don't need to see more.

Many on here saw Paige early-on and some may have immediately made comment that she needs to get stronger. Were they passing judgement and wrong for doing so too?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have a much better chance to see her progress getting meaningful minutes, she needs to break a sweat and get into the flow of a real game. If she is ready Geno will know, therefore we will know as well, by the way coach uses her. I feel all of us want her to be a rotation player and we should be able to see the path in a few days. Like you I am pulling for her.

It's not about her though. I think you mean that too. Its about Geno. I don't think he is looking at things such as "meaningful minutes" vs an elite team or "meaningful" minutes vs a team you are going to blowout. I think there are meaningful minutes even vs the teams you eventually will blow out. And I'm not sure there is a sense of trust vs Baylor. I guess it depends if she is impressive if she plays against DePaul.

Reaction Score
I hear ya Hoop. But I am confused..are you saying Nika is slow? I don't think she is slow. She might not be MoJeff fast but I think she is in the (near) lead for wind sprints for the guards. I wouldn't say I am skeptical, but I would like to see if she can improve on keeping players in front of her and all freshman have this problem.

NM also likes to swipe at the ball too often and in doing so, slows her feet and lateral movement skills. From what I have seen, I think she has promise in this area to improve and be at last an above average defender. But she has to stop swiping and keep moving her feet. I don't see anything that suggests she is slow.

Also, IMHO, if she doesn't get much time at Baylor, it is an indication of how well the starters are doing.
I'm saying right now from what I've seen yes she is slow/not that quick. I wasn't differntiating between speed and quickness. All I have to go on is just a few European videos and the 1st game she played.

Wind sprints are also endurance. And what you "improve upon keeping players in front of her"-- UCONN played UMASS Lowell. That's been her only game. OFC she was hurt - but that opponent-- you should be able to keep in front of you. It could ben as you say she reaches then she gets beat. But I'm concerned she reaches because she gets beat too.

I'm not saying she isn't going to be good. Just saying for now -she is slow -or instead of slow - just not that quick (could be 100% due to injury) to be relied upon to keep a good player in front of her. Not saying she can't - which is why I said she'll have opportunities to show her stuff.

As far as the Baylor game-- imo if the game is close-- then it would have to be something rare in which all 4 or Paige, CWill, Evina and AMak are playing well while we are getting beaten up pretty badly in the frontcourt- in order for the score to be close. I'd be surprised if all 4 perimeter players are playing well while we just are getting wiped out in the paint. If the 4 perimeter players are all playing well then I don't expect the game to be close.

OFC it is possible all 4 will play well and the 3 in the paint will get wiped out- but I have said at start of season I thought Liv was going to be 3rd team all-american. OFC the two games vs Louisville and Miss State would have ben important to achieve that-- but I would be surprised if things break near in a certain way in which all perimeter players play well vs all in paint don't. Part of the reason why I would say our guards play well is because they are getting our bigs involved offensively.

SO anyhow in regards to speed quickness- if she has been hurt- then why would I or anyone else have no worry that she has the necessary speed/quickness unless you are just sold on those few European vids? DId they show it without a doubt? I could see in the few vids of Edwards that she was going to be pf/ c and not a sf- though I didn't know she would look this strong. But in my view the vids from Nika are much more unclear. I can say though I still don't know how well Edwards will paly vs Baylor. Refs might pick her apart as an example.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I'm saying right now from what I've seen yes she is slow/not that quick. I wasn't differntiating between speed and quickness. All I have to go on is just a few European videos and the 1st game she played.

Wind sprints are also endurance. And what you "improve upon keeping players in front of her"-- UCONN played UMASS Lowell. That's been her only game. OFC she was hurt - but that opponent-- you should be able to keep in front of you. It could ben as you say she reaches then she gets beat. But I'm concerned she reaches because she gets beat too.

I'm not saying she isn't going to be good. Just saying for now -she is slow -or instead of slow - just not that quick (could be 100% due to injury) to be relied upon to keep a good player in front of her. Not saying she can't - which is why I said she'll have opportunities to show her stuff.

As far as the Baylor game-- imo if the game is close-- then it would have to be something rare in which all 4 or Paige, CWill, Evina and AMak are playing well while we are getting beaten up pretty badly in the frontcourt- in order for the score to be close. I'd be surprised if all 4 perimeter players are playing well while we just are getting wiped out in the paint. If the 4 perimeter players are all playing well then I don't expect the game to be close.

OFC it is possible all 4 will play well and the 3 in the paint will get wiped out- but I have said at start of season I thought Liv was going to be 3rd team all-american. OFC the two games vs Louisville and Miss State would have ben important to achieve that-- but I would be surprised if things break near in a certain way in which all perimeter players play well vs all in paint don't. Part of the reason why I would say our guards play well is because they are getting our bigs involved offensively.

SO anyhow in regards to speed quickness- if she has been hurt- then why would I or anyone else have no worry that she has the necessary speed/quickness unless you are just sold on those few European vids? DId they show it without a doubt? I could see in the few vids of Edwards that she was going to be pf/ c and not a sf- though I didn't know she would look this strong. But in my view the vids from Nika are much more unclear. I can say though I still don't know how well Edwards will paly vs Baylor. Refs might pick her apart as an example.
i think your views re: nika are known ... let's give that a restt

Reaction Score
Nika is key to our Title chances. As Geno said, she is #1 or #2 off the bench. You need that defensive intensity (especially on the perimeter) when it gets to the Elite 8 or Final 4.
I have to disagree that Nika is key to our winning a title. With all due respect to her abilities, she has not come close to showing that. Obviously, if she performed at the level that some here on the Boneyard wish she would, then she could clearly contribute toward winning a title. However, she has not shown any indication of being able to play at that level except for the anecdotal reports of her being an outstanding passer. I wish her well and hope she turns out to be the second best PG on our team (or the best one, for that matter) but right now we have zero evidence of that! Let’s hope she recovers from whatever was wrong with her foot and blows Geno (and us) away with her play and becomes a big contributor as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree that Nika is key to our winning a title. With all due respect to her abilities, she has not come close to showing that. Obviously, if she performed at the level that some here on the Boneyard wish she would, then she could clearly contribute toward winning a title. However, she has not shown any indication of being able to play at that level except for the anecdotal reports of her being an outstanding passer. I wish her well and hope she turns out to be the second best PG on our team (or the best one, for that matter) but right now we have zero evidence of that! Let’s hope she recovers from whatever was wrong with her foot and blows Geno (and us) away with her play and becomes a big contributor as the season progresses.
Nobody is hoping any player doesn't succeed. Let's make that clear. These ladies choose to put themselves under the Boneyard microscope when they come here. If they want to be ignored they can play for a division 2 school in Montana..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nobody is hoping any player doesn't succeed. Let's make that clear. These ladies choose to put themselves under the Boneyard microscope when they come here. If they want to be ignored they can play for a division 2 school in Montana..
Let's not kid ourselves. Not a single UCONN player chose or would choose to be under a BY microscope; they are ALL much smarter than that. They choose to play basketball at UCONN the BY is insignificant to that decision.

Reaction Score

From what I have seen, I just wouldn't call her slow, especially with the foot injury. If she is slow, she has no real chance at this level and at her size to contribute much. Why would Geno recruit such a player from Europe when he can get one like that down the road? I guess that is influencing me a bit too. Players are much better today than they were 15 -20 years ago when a slow, short guard could have success.

Geno can mix and match with EW, CW and PB as they are all guards. He can use AE at power forward and even use AM for a bit at the wing. So really, if that works well, and it very well could, we might only see 5-6 minutes from NM. If Geno goes long in minutes there with EW, CW and PB, it is not a long term indication of NM's abilities. She has been in a boot for a while and just getting used to things in USA and playing for Geno. She isn't going to light the world on fire in her 3rd or 4th game - most freshmen don't.
I don't think anybody knows how well AE will respond but she has shown enough for me to say, that I think she will at least give us some good minutes in the post: rebounds, set picks, box out, play defense and get a few points. I'm hoping for something like 6-8 points and the same in rebounds. That would be a good game at this stage of her freshman year. Anything more, I would be extremely happy to see.

But if Anna goes off, then AE's minutes will be reduced. So we will see.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Let's not kid ourselves. Not a single UCONN player chose or would choose to be under a BY microscope; they are ALL much smarter than that. They choose to play basketball at UCONN the BY is insignificant to that decision.
Let's hope so anyway. If any player included the BY in their decision (positive or negative), I don't think I'd want them at UCONN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom