Nika Muhl Homage | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl Homage

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Luv that fiber!!!

NBA Academy

Nika thinks she can accomplish anything.

Nika says UCONN fans are the best in the world.

Nika: "I'm not worried about it (this season). I think we will do good."

Everybody eats!

Makes her feel good.

U18 Eurobasket Sarajevo 2019

Nika now has the freedom to play like she did in Croatia.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the NBA Academy video, is that a young Aaliyah Edwards we see -- long gold and purple braids already in evidence -- trying to guard Nika

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
It wasn't that long ago that I, and others who really appreciated the way Nika was playing, were afraid that she would get squeezed out of meaningful playing time by the grunch of really good guards that were in the offing. Nika remained optimistic and confident and continued to work her butt off. Willing to be a star at whatever role she found for herself, even if that was to be a bench contributor.

Look at her now. Leading the country in assists, the straw that stirs the offensive drink, the heart and soul of the defense, the vocal leader on the court. She's one of those players that Geno believes HAS TO be on the court for the offense and defense to look "right". Her story is a really great lesson in how to thrive in a program that exposes players who don't have the passion give 100% effort, 100% of the time, for the benefit of the whole team... "Everybody eats".

Reaction Score
It wasn't that long ago that I, and others who really appreciated the way Nika was playing, were afraid that she would get squeezed out of meaningful playing time by the grunch of really good guards that were in the offing. Nika remained optimistic and confident and continued to work her butt off. Willing to be a star at whatever role she found for herself, even if that was to be a bench contributor.

Look at her now. Leading the country in assists, the straw that stirs the offensive drink, the heart and soul of the defense, the vocal leader on the court. She's one of those players that Geno believes HAS TO be on the court for the offense and defense to look "right". Her story is a really great lesson in how to thrive in a program that exposes players who don't have the passion give 100% effort, 100% of the time, for the benefit of the whole team... "Everybody eats".
FANTASTIC POST!! Very well written and informative. Best take on NIKA that I've read. Nika will lead Uconn to No,12. GO NIKA!!! GGO HUSKIES!!!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Man, Nika’s intensity would scare me into doing whatever she wants

She reminds me of one of my Drill Sergeants while I was in basic training. She was about 5'5", but was in your grill anytime you messed up. Scared the C**p out of us, she even made a guy that was about 6'5 250 LBS of muscle pee his pants.

Reaction Score
1669681294394.png

The Nika philosophy: Watch out future opponents.

Reaction Score
i fell in love with this girl in her freshman year.when she was knocking people over and complaining about being called for a foul.her sophomore year she lost playing time until Geno realized she stirred the pot.now,as a junior she has matured to lead this team and people outside of the husky nation are seeing how she drives one of the best teams in the country.Nika would be on my all-American team !

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Nika's role is almost exactly like that of the coxswain of a rowboat in a crew race. She contributes 0% of the muscle (in basketball terms, scoring) but a very high percentage of direction, control, and motivation.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia about the coxswain's role:

"A coxswain is the coach in the boat, in addition to following the orders of the team coach, the coxswain is connected to the way the boat feels, what's working, what needs to be changed, and how. ... During a race, a coxswain is responsible for steering, calling the moves, and responding to the way the other boats are moving. Success depends on the physical and mental strength of the rowers, ability to respond to the environment, and the way in which the coxswain motivates the rowers, not only as individuals but as members of the crew."

That about sums it up for Nika, don't you think?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Coxswain is a good one. Actually, it would be interesting to imagine Nika performing a number of different roles once her playing days are over. I`m hoping that is a long time from now.

She would be one heckuva basketball coach, of course, with her knowledge and ability to motivate.

But maybe she will want to go in a different direction. I bet she would be a pretty good wedding planner, telling everyone where to stand, where to sit, when to do this and that. No one is forgetting the rings under her watch. No meandering allowed for the flower girl either. And heaven help the groom who might be having second thoughts.

Drill Sergeant, maybe? The Gomer Pyle`s of the world would be in big trouble.

Motivational speaker? A definite step or two up from Matt Foley. I doubt she would be living in a van down by the river.

Actually, when Jon Taffer ever decides to hang it up doing Bar Rescue, I can think of someone else who could get in the face of those downtrodden bar owners......

Reaction Score
Gee, if she gets like that with her teammates....;) I suspect this may have been when they were behind to Iowa and Nika was having none of it.

The stuff of nightmares for opposing guards...

Reaction Score
The old saying goes "it ain't the dog in the fight it's the fight in the dog". Leader of the pack mentality, much like a Jenn, Diana, or Kia.
Not all on the point obviously but setting the tone in the huddle for sure.
Our lead dog of the team and could not like it more with the absence of Paige. We caught a huge break with her coming here.

Reaction Score
The old saying goes "it ain't the dog in the fight it's the fight in the dog". Leader of the pack mentality, much like a Jenn, Diana, or Kia.
Not all on the point obviously but setting the tone in the huddle for sure.
Our lead dog of the team and could not like it more with the absence of Paige. We caught a huge break with her coming here.
Wonder how she caught UConns eye. Who found this gem?

Reaction Score
Thank you so much Woof - really appreciate it..!

A couple comments really stood out- what we are seeing now, they saw back then:

"She jumped out at me immediately," Galligan said. "I thought she was a killer. She wanted the ball in her hands. Your eyes are drawn to her because of her confidence, her presence and the way she carries herself."

"I'm not surprised UConn likes her," Galligan said. "She has an edge to her that's hard to find. Her grit sets her apart."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This fits into the Nika Homage big time.

Some nice Darko quotes

"She’s always giving her best and I think that’s probably the thing that I’m most proud of her because she will never give up," Darko said. "She will die trying, that’s her."

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
One of the main sidebars of this season is given all the good shooters we now posses, is the potential assault on the Single Season Assist record which is currently held by Sue Bird in the 2001-02 season of 231. This was achieved over 39 games (5.92 APG) and Nika currently has 66 over 6 games Including 4 double digit games in a row 15-10-13-12. She is averaging a ridiculous 11 per game which is probably not a pace she can keep up but with all these shooters and Aubrey on the fast break, the record is more than achievable. Heck the whole team is also doing great as against PC we had 28 assists on 36 field goals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom