Nika Mühl not traveling with team for preseason Canada game later today. | The Boneyard

Nika Mühl not traveling with team for preseason Canada game later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just heard that Nika is out for today’s preseason game versus the Sparks in Canada today along with Ezi Magbegor due to them not traveling to Canada for undisclosed reasons… Really hoping she makes the cut because Seattle is tight with salary cap space and hoping this has nothing to do with it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
C6B088AD-6D53-48C3-AFE4-CF8FF94D6235.jpeg

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The harsh realities of the WNBA. Hope he is wrong, but...

Reaction Score
Post #68 in the Nika in Seattle thread explains the visa issue that prevented Nika from traveling to Canada. Post #4 above to really a bummer if that ends up being the case.

I guess her best chance is if they keep both Nika and Jade and cut a big reserve ( with a comparable salary to Nika’s). Her inability to have tge opportunity to show what she brings in tonights exhibition game makes things even tougher. Fingers crossed!

Reaction Score
Oh, that dope again :rolleyes:

Nika is still on her student visa. The first game is in Canada so Nika can leave the country but not re-enter it.

He may or may not be a dope but his analysis is pretty solid. How it will turn out, who knows.

Reaction Score
The harsh realities of the WNBA. Hope he is wrong, but...

So far all other commentary says she makes the team. Not attending the Canada game does make me nervous though. I just read an article saying that the coach likes her athleticism and basketball IQ, but Melbourne already knows the system. I've heard a lot of commentary saying they keep both. One things for sure, if Seattle doesn't keep her I think it'll be a big deal. Since the Final Four she's gained close to half a million followers. One YouTube video mentioned that even if she was terrible they'd keep her for the fans.
Regardless, Nika despite the stress/fatigue she admitted to, she seems to be enjoying herself. She could not stop smiling during that presser.

Reaction Score
We deal with musician's visas frequently, and unfortunately the U.S. is a tough nut to crack. The visas take forever to come through, and are expensive. Best bet is whoever the U.S. Congressperson for Seattle's district starts pulling strings.

Reaction Score
How was she able to play in Toronto then for Aaliyah's homecoming game?

Reaction Score
I wonder if the game was last night if it would have been a non issue as she actually graduates today/tonight? Guessing though that once she got and signed a training camp contract that ended her student visa and put her on a provisional work visa. Total guess on my part.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the game was last night if it would have been a non issue as she actually graduates today/tonight? Guessing though that once she got and signed a training camp contract that ended her student visa and put her on a provisional work visa. Total guess on my part.
Good Guess! Same reason why many foreign players on student visas can't accept certain NIL money. This SI article explains this.

Reaction Score
Who is that guy? I only listened to about one minute, so I didn't get the whole screed. Seattle knew they had Melbourne when they drafted Nika. They wasted their draft pick? Why didn't they draft someone else if Nika has no chance?

Reaction Score
Oh, that dope again :rolleyes:

Nika is still on her student visa. The first game is in Canada so Nika can leave the country but not re-enter it.
OK, I am completely confused. Didn't UConn play a game in Canada for Edwards home coming? Did Nika sit that one out? Or is it that Nika is now "working" but still here on a student visa? If so, isn't she violating her visa already whether she goes to Canada or not? Maybe Nika is an illegal immigrant?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
OK, I am completely confused. Didn't UConn play a game in Canada for Edwards home coming? Did Nika sit that one out? Or is it that Nika is now "working" but still here on a student visa? If so, isn't she violating her visa already whether she goes to Canada or not? Maybe Nika is an illegal immigrant?
LOL, she played the other game while on a student visa. Now, she must apply for a work visa as all non-American players do. Since there are no Canadian teams in the WNBA, she shouldn't have a problem going forward.

Reaction Score
LOL, she played the other game while on a student visa. Now, she must apply for a work visa as all non-American players do. Since there are no Canadian teams in the WNBA, she shouldn't have a problem going forward.
Interesting situation. There will be a Canadian team soon in the WNBA. I believe that is in the plan? Looks like this may be a potential issue down the line. Seems like there may be a need to tweak these rules or speed up the process for the newly drafted foreign college players or teams may become unwilling to draft these international players from college.

Reaction Score
This is how Nika spent her first preseason game with the Storm and evening of her graduation from Uconn. Tough break!
I wonder if she flew to Connecticut for her graduation ceremonies?

Reaction Score
Who is that guy? I only listened to about one minute, so I didn't get the whole screed. Seattle knew they had Melbourne when they drafted Nika. They wasted their draft pick? Why didn't they draft someone else if Nika has no chance?
You are right on. Don't pay any attention to that guy. He has been making outlandish analyses with little if any information in order to basically rile up fans and generate hits for his blog or whatever it is he has. I don't open the thing he puts on YouTube and just ignore anything he has to say. The Boneyard has better, more relevant info especially from HuskyNan and many very knowledgeable W/M BB BY'ers.

Reaction Score
Interesting situation. There will be a Canadian team soon in the WNBA. I believe that is in the plan? Looks like this may be a potential issue down the line. Seems like there may be a need to tweak these rules or speed up the process for the newly drafted foreign college players or teams may become unwilling to draft these international players from college.
This is only a temporary problem. The NHL and pro hockey leagues have been using foreign players in U.S. and Canada for years. Same with other men's pro sports. It won't be a problem as soon as the WNBA expands to Canada which seems to be on the front burner in the W's exec office and well overdue. Toronto for one seems to be an obvious place for the W and expect we will hear something along those lines sometime in the not too distant future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom