Nika: for the wise | The Boneyard

Nika: for the wise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat

Reaction Score
Loved the part where Geno talked about her setting that illegal screen just because she wanted to hit someone. That's right up there with this chestnut from him last year: “She hates the refs, she hates the other team, she hates me, she hates everybody and she plays that way. She plays with a real chip on her shoulder. Every team needs somebody that you can plug into as your energy source and she’s it for us. … As soon as she went into the starting lineup, our team changed."

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Nika frustrates the opposition so much that they make mistakes that they wouldn't normally make. Last night she had almost half of the teams assists with 9 of the teams 19, almost half of the teams steals 3 of the teams 8, only 3 of the teams 16 T/O's, while her defense helped in forcing Texas into T/O's. I'm glad that we have Nika "the gnat" on our side and I hope she keeps on playing the way she has so far this season.

Reaction Score
Loved the part where Geno talked about her setting that illegal screen just because she wanted to hit someone. That's right up there with this chestnut from him last year: “She hates the refs, she hates the other team, she hates me, she hates everybody and she plays that way. She plays with a real chip on her shoulder. Every team needs somebody that you can plug into as your energy source and she’s it for us. … As soon as she went into the starting lineup, our team changed."
Ancient history but that is why I never understood him changing the starting lineup for the NCAAs. Minutes yes, the start of games, no………..

Reaction Score
Like Mikey in the Life cereal commercials, she doesn’t like anything. Someone should let her know that the basket supports are padded and always available for punching. I understand that punching the ones covered in orange padding is a very satisfying experience.

Reaction Score
Nika frustrates the opposition so much that they make mistakes that they wouldn't normally make. Last night she had almost half of the teams assists with 9 of the teams 19, almost half of the teams steals 3 of the teams 8, only 3 of the teams 16 T/O's, while her defense helped in forcing Texas into T/O's. I'm glad that we have Nika "the gnat" on our side and I hope she keeps on playing the way she has so far this season.
Azzi carried the team to victory. OK, she's the BA. But when Nika is on the court she is a bigger badass than any of the other 9 kids on the court. There is a reason why the BE coaches named her the DPOY. I can't believe any opposition kid looks forward to playing against Nika.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
I'm still partly disappointed that the nickname Nika "Fuel" didn't catch on (fire).
Also, "EZ" Fudd. Because the game's just too easy.

Reaction Score
For example, Geno said yesterday that he wouldn't trade her for anyone and then said the caveat "today". She had a great game. Maybe her best ever. Could part of that be she was playing against their second string PG? Can she maintain it? We will see. We all hope she does.

KCD

Reaction Score
Or may some of you just can't read. No one says she's a bad player. Most people just think others are better and that her weaknesses obviate some of her strengths.
In my opinion, she is a very improved player this year. One of her biggest weaknesses in the last couple of years was trying to force passes when she had a better look herself. She was improved last year, but she is much improved this year. She is also looking for her own shot early in games to get that set into the opponents mind. It is also my opinion, that you want the best team on the floor and not necessarily just the best five players. They are not the same thing. Almost every time Geno talks to the press, he quotes something that Nika has said to her teammates. After the Texas game, it was something like: "we can great or we can play horribly"". Nike is the best point guard on this team.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
For example, Geno said yesterday that he wouldn't trade her for anyone and then said the caveat "today". She had a great game. Maybe her best ever. Could part of that be she was playing against their second string PG? Can she maintain it? We will see. We all hope she does.
She was playing against a conference player of the year and an all Big East player.

Reaction Score
She was playing against a conference player of the year and an all Big East player.
For example, Geno said yesterday that he wouldn't trade her for anyone and then said the caveat "today". She had a great game. Maybe her best ever. Could part of that be she was playing against their second string PG?
How strange that Geno’s laugh line, “not today” should be taken so seriously. College coaches can’t really trade players, right? Lol

Of course, who starts can change and players can be benched altogether. The latter can’t really happen this season given how short the bench actually is. Bench Nika altogether and Inês will have to play more minutes than she can handle or the team can afford. Maybe Geno could experiment with such a lineup against Butler, but not against NC St or even Creighton.

But this is silly speculation. What I saw of Geno’s interactions with Nika on the sidelines seemed to make it clear she’s his court leader. He likes what she does on the court. In the post game presser, he’ll tease her about fouling and it’s often quite comical. I’m sure she hears his message in those little jokes. And I’m even more sure he expresses it much more directly in practice and film sessions. But none of that even remotely suggests he’s thinking of replacing her. He wouldn’t joke about it if he were actually considering not starting her. It would be bad for team discipline to do that.

It was a laugh line and nothing more. And the reporters laughed at it. Why did they laugh? If it were meant seriously, I think they’d have been silent. But they know him and his sense of humor, just as the players do.

Speaking of who she was playing against, Gonzalez clearly lost the battle against her, though she was occasionally able to stop Nika. When Morris matched up on her, the story wasn’t much different, though Morris seemed a bit more of a challenge. I think that says a lot about the quality of the competition Gonzalez faced in her previous conference. I remember talk last spring about how she might have been a good portal prospect for us. Now that we‘ve seen the limitations on her game, we might see why she wasn’t.

None of this means they didn’t mostly play good D against us. They did and forced a bunch of turnovers and empty possessions. But at no point — even when they briefly had early leads — did it seem like they could win this game. Not to me, at least. They were running up hill, as it were, the entire way. It was impressive that they were able to hang as close as they did toward the end. We could, and probably should, have run away with it in the second half. They deserve credit for not letting that happen.

Reaction Score
I guess Geno should have used the sarcasm emoji! In context of the whole segment on Nika, you know like the line about ‘she and Azzi being the two on the team they simply can’t replace’ went right by you, but keep waiting for her to falter a bit so you can jump right on that.

Reaction Score
Here’s a Texas-style image for the game — I am a Texan after all : the Longhorns seemed like cowhands trying to bust a bronco. They could hang on a for a while, but even the bronco buster knows he’s gonna get thrown eventually.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Or may some of you just can't read. No one says she's a bad player. Most people just think others are better and that her weaknesses obviate some of her strengths.
Let me say that I disagree with your statement. Nika is the one who ignites the fire and the play. Geno has said many times she is the leader. Don't worry about the "today" comment. Geno humor.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Here’s a Texas-style image for the game — I am a Texan after all : the Longhorns seemed like cowhands trying to bust a bronco. They could hang on a for a while, but even the bronco buster knows he’s gonna get thrown eventually.
Bronco and bull riding gives one an appreciation for just how long 8 seconds can be! And after the 8 seconds it isn't over. You can still get stomp to mush. Whenever NFL fans go on about the players' toughness and the danger involve being of the highest order. I mention riding 1,500+ lbs. of pure pissed off fat free muscle. "J.B." Mauney earned every penny of his money, ;)

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
This is an honest request for opinions from across the Boneyard nation. I completely understand this season is early. Does UConn's backcourt as a group measure up as one the best, if not the best, of them from the other main contenders?

Reaction Score
This is an honest request for opinions from across the Boneyard nation. I completely understand this season is early. Does UConn's backcourt as a group measure up as one the best, if not the best, of them from the other main contenders?
Not yet, maybe never. The gold standard is Sue and Diana, in my opinion. While Azzi will continue to amaze, Nika may have to settle for mere excellence (lol). If we're including the wing in the backcourt, the line gets longer, but I think the sky is the limit for Azzi and Caroline. And next year, when Paige returns, it's another question altogether.

It's unfair, in a sense, to ask this much of Nika, to compare her to Sue, Renée, Moriah. Who I might compare her to, even though she's not there as a scorer, but maybe approaches her as a defender and general mayhem maker, is Jen (I'm still thinking of the clips in another thread of the '95 NC game, when Jen took the game directly at Marciniak, who was arguably Tennessee's best player: Awesome!). This is something Nika could aspire to. But for now, let's just bask in the wonderful things she's doing for the team right now -- like that statement steal and feed to Azzi in the opening minutes against Texas!

If Nika approaches Jen's level, even for one season, and she's playing next to Azzi and Paige at their peak, would that be the best trio ever? Now we have an argument. I can already hear the disagreements -- "what about Caroline?" "Paige would have to be the pg" Does this count Aubrey?" and so on until the end of time.

Reaction Score
If Nika approaches Jen's level, even for one season, and she's playing next to Azzi and Paige at their peak, would that be the best trio ever? Now we have an argument. I can already hear the disagreements -- "what about Caroline?" "Paige would have to be the pg" Does this count Aubrey?" and so on until the end of time.
You hit the nail on the head. Isn't it wonderful that we are fans of a team that can have these disagreements? So many to choose from. All to be loved. I am a total Nika fan (although her name always triggers a singing nun in my mind...). I don't even know if it is possible but I'd love to see a stat that shows TO versus the amount of time a player has the ball in their hands. Nika gets them at times but so far has far more assists. Love the girl!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom