Nika: for the wise | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nika: for the wise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Aggressive defense creates energy, frustrates, and can demoralize opponents. It's what turns around bad streaks, breaks open games. It was the hallmark of Wooden's UCLA teams who popularized the press, and is what today makes WCBB the purest form of the game.

Geno's always loved scrappy players regardless of position, but such guards also bring TOs from presses and runaway layups from most other steals that pump the crowd. Such guards led our championship teams: Jen, Shea, Sue, D, Renee, MoJeff. Nika has the skills and potential to join them.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i don't speak that language, but i figgered out that the first line is
'who ya gonna call?'

nika, nika, nika, nika, nika nika, nikaaaah,
nikaaah, nikaaah, nikaah...'

and the last one is
'nikaah, gon-na,
hit you witha rulaah...'
nice tune. peppy.

signed, just walkin all around up in here, picking up the loose change.
all of a sudden, i have an urge for onion soup with melty cheese on top.
hope there are some croutons floating around the pantry.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Probably could get Lou to translate it for us but then I like what my mind hears instead...

Reaction Score
I"m down with Bone Dog again. Nika, Paige and Azzi.... with CD greatness coming. Add Jana, Patterson, Ice, KK and Ashlynn Shade... unstoppable! Running madness....

Reaction Score
You hit the nail on the head. Isn't it wonderful that we are fans of a team that can have these disagreements? So many to choose from. All to be loved. I am a total Nika fan (although her name always triggers a singing nun in my mind...). I don't even know if it is possible but I'd love to see a stat that shows TO versus the amount of time a player has the ball in their hands. Nika gets them at times but so far has far more assists. Love the girl!
In my comments, I try to hide my "senior" status, back-in-the-day references that label my codgerness for what it is, pure wisdom at the ready.. But Nika as the Singing Nun? Nothing could be more oxymoronic. For 40 years I tried to remove that innane popular song from my fading memory bank. Look what you started. Go Huskies!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
In my comments, I try to hide my "senior" status, back-in-the-day references that label my codgerness for what it is, pure wisdom at the ready.. But Nika as the Singing Nun? Nothing could be more oxymoronic. For 40 years I tried to remove that innane popular song from my fading memory bank. Look what you started. Go Huskies!
5a3f5da29d030184bfd9bd3bd7d58db5.jpg

it's a dirty job, but some one has to do it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Like Mikey in the Life cereal commercials, she doesn’t like anything. Someone should let her know that the basket supports are padded and always available for punching. I understand that punching the ones covered in orange padding is a very satisfying experience.
Wait a minute. Mikey is the kid who'll eat anything!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Not yet, maybe never. The gold standard is Sue and Diana, in my opinion. While Azzi will continue to amaze, Nika may have to settle for mere excellence (lol). If we're including the wing in the backcourt, the line gets longer, but I think the sky is the limit for Azzi and Caroline. And next year, when Paige returns, it's another question altogether.

It's unfair, in a sense, to ask this much of Nika, to compare her to Sue, Renée, Moriah. Who I might compare her to, even though she's not there as a scorer, but maybe approaches her as a defender and general mayhem maker, is Jen (I'm still thinking of the clips in another thread of the '95 NC game, when Jen took the game directly at Marciniak, who was arguably Tennessee's best player: Awesome!). This is something Nika could aspire to. But for now, let's just bask in the wonderful things she's doing for the team right now -- like that statement steal and feed to Azzi in the opening minutes against Texas!

If Nika approaches Jen's level, even for one season, and she's playing next to Azzi and Paige at their peak, would that be the best trio ever? Now we have an argument. I can already hear the disagreements -- "what about Caroline?" "Paige would have to be the pg" Does this count Aubrey?" and so on until the end of time.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, this season other school's backcourt

Reaction Score
I guess Geno should have used the sarcasm emoji! In context of the whole segment on Nika, you know like the line about ‘she and Azzi being the two on the team they simply can’t replace’ went right by you, but keep waiting for her to falter a bit so you can jump right on that.
Azzi is Nika's competition at PG. In reality. Few of you are able to see the nuance. In case some of you haven't noticed we now have more depth at the guard positions. Aubrey deserves as much playing time as Nika and I'm not benching Caroline, Azzi or Lou. They all get PT but the one who probably is affected most at some point is Nika IMO. Feel free to all have opinion. I love putting the ball in Azzi's hands offensively and I don't want to see other teams clogging the paint on us constantly. I noticed last game that other teams are not guarding Aubrey aggressively either. The two players other teams want to shoot are Nika and Aubrey. At least Aubrey can get to the hoop.

Reaction Score
I believe you miss Geno's sense of humor. Watch the timing on that addendum. The players and coaches appear to agree that she is team leader on the floor - it's not about one game or any specific opponent.
All things are subject to change. It's always in the back of Geno's mind how he may need to change things. Players get hot. Players get cold. Different combinations of players perform differently.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Rori Harmon's replacement at PG was Shaylee Gonzales, rather than Morris.
And Gonzales was conference player of the year.

"In the second round of the 2019 NCAA tournament, Gonzales scored a freshman season-high 32 points in a 72–63 loss to Stanford. As a freshman, she averaged 17 points, 5.6 rebounds and 4.1 assists per game, earning first-team All-West Coast Conference (WCC) and Newcomer of the Year honors. Gonzales was sidelined for her second season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus in her right knee. She made her sophomore debut on November 27, 2020, scoring a season-high 30 points in a 67–51 win against LSU. Gonzales averaged 17.8 points, 5.3 rebounds and 3.6 assists per game as a sophomore. She shared the WCC Player of the Year award with Jenn Wirth and repeated as a first-team All-WCC selection. On February 12, 2022, Gonzales recorded a career-high 35 points, seven steals and six assists in an 84–69 win over Saint Mary's.] She was named WCC Player of the Year and made the first-team All-WCC for a third time, averaging 18.3 points, 5.9 rebounds and 4.5 assists per game."

Reaction Score
Sorry if I wasn't clear, this season other school's backcourt
My mistake, sorry. Shows you where my head was at. And I had so much fun writing that long irrelevant post.

Yes, I think it could be the best backcourt in the land. Who are the other candidates?

Texas? -- I think we just answered that one. Sure, Harmon was out, but Azzi was so far beyond everyone else, and Nika was such an excellent complement.

Stanford? Lol

SC? Here's a real contender, but I still think we get the nod in this comparison. Cooke Beal and the platoon of Fletcher and James are good, but not quite the shotmakers we have.

Louisville? Another substantial contender with Van Lith Carr and Jones, but I think we edge them out in each case.

ND? This may be the most formidable backcourt besides us, bringing back the entire trio of Miles Mabrey and Citron. All three have speed and shotmaking ability, and Citron is tall.

Indiana? Berger and Scalia puts them in the conversation, and Parrish and Moore-McNeil gives them good depth

UCLA? Osborne and Rice also puts them in the conversation, but not sure what they have besides.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Gonzalez had six points in 37 minutes including a meaningless hoop at the very end. I thought she looked slow. She underperformed, while Morris overperformed.

Nika played 38 minutes against Texas. I think 30-32 would probably be ideal, but she is just so valuable out there. She is much improved from last year in all respects. Clear team leader, making Paige-like passes, defending like a demon, and moving a bit quicker and more confidently than before.

When Caroline returns to full strength Geno will have five great options at the 1-3. Some better offensively, some better defensively.

The way minutes are divided up will change from game to game depending upon what is needed. But I would look for Aubrey to see time at the 4, especially against smaller but good Big East teams like Creighton and Villanova.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm supposed to be polite when someone calls me ignorant. I get it. I value Nika. I just don't think she should play more than either Aubrey or Caroline. I don't think that is ignorant.
Grow up. It’s a message board. The Boneyard is more civil than most but it’s still social media. Thin skinned people should take note

Reaction Score
Azzi: 32 minutes
Lou: 30 minutes
Caroline 28 minutes
Aubrey: 20 minutes ( 10 at the 3 and 15 at the 4 )
Nika: 20 minutes

Total at the 3 guard positions: 120 (Aubrey's time is split between the 3 and the 4 slots )

I don't think that's crazy or ignorant.

Reaction Score
Azzi is Nika's competition at PG. In reality. Few of you are able to see the nuance. In case some of you haven't noticed we now have more depth at the guard positions. Aubrey deserves as much playing time as Nika and I'm not benching Caroline, Azzi or Lou. They all get PT but the one who probably is affected most at some point is Nika IMO. Feel free to all have opinion. I love putting the ball in Azzi's hands offensively and I don't want to see other teams clogging the paint on us constantly. I noticed last game that other teams are not guarding Aubrey aggressively either. The two players other teams want to shoot are Nika and Aubrey. At least Aubrey can get to the hoop.

It's a given that Bueckers and Fudd are the top 2 pg's and the top 2 two's on the team but keep in mind that is arguably also true for all of wcbb. So the fact that Muhl is a lesser player is no criticism.
Both SCar and Stanford are weakest at pg. UConn was extremely fortunate to have a backup of Muhl's abilities.
If things work out Muhl will sub next season. What a player to have coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
Azzi carried the team to victory. OK, she's the BA. But when Nika is on the court she is a bigger badass than any of the other 9 kids on the court. There is a reason why the BE coaches named her the DPOY. I can't believe any opposition kid looks forward to playing against Nika.
I’m pretty sure she had Morris absolutely steaming at one point! She looked hot enough to fry an egg after one encounter with Nika, though honestly, it might have been Azzi, as she (Azzi) was also playing her tough! Azzi recently commented how glad she was not to have to play against Nika. Not to be mean but being able to get under an opponent’s skin can often throw them off their game and result in poor play, poor decisions, and more fouls. I remember back in the day, players would often completely lose their cool after “wearing” Dennis Rodman for a quarter or two. Nika, apparently, has a similar ability to frustrate and exasperate those she is guarding.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure she had Morris absolutely steaming at one point! She looked hot enough to fry an egg after one encounter with Nika, though honestly, it might have been Azzi, as she (Azzi) was also playing her tough! Azzi recently commented how glad she was not to have to play against Nika. Not to be mean but being able to get under an opponent’s skin can often throw them off their game and result in poor play, poor decisions, and more fouls. I remember back in the day, players would often completely lose their cool after “wearing” Dennis Rodman for a quarter or two. Nika, apparently, has a similar ability to frustrate and exasperate those she is guarding.
On the one Nika foul Morris gave Nika a forearm, some leftover bad blood from the twice a year DePaul beatdowns?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
It's a given that Bueckers and Fudd are the top 2 pg's and the top 2 two's on the team but keep in mind that is arguably also true for all of wcbb. So the fact that Muhl is a lesser player is no criticism.
Both SCar and Stanford are weakest at pg. UConn was extremely fortunate to have a backup of Muhl's abilities.
If things work out Muhl will sub next season. What a player to have coming off the bench.
This year starting Azzi, Nika and Lou. Next year Azzi, Nika and Paige?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Who right now are really dependable ball handlers? Azzi and Nika. Lou IDK, Inez? Sorry Aubrey, nope Caroline nope, not from observation.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I'm supposed to be polite when someone calls me ignorant. I get it. I value Nika. I just don't think she should play more than either Aubrey or Caroline. I don't think that is ignorant.
Nika and Caroline have different responsibilities on the court. Caroline job is to score, anyway she can. Nikas job is to get the ball to her, and the others. Nika plays more minutes because she gets the job done in that way, she harasses the opponents to mess up their sets, and of course, gets the easy buckets with steals. Her defense gets opportunities for the others to get easy buckets on the fast break, something that only Aubrey and Azzi have shown that they can do. Caroline is a rotating scorer with Lou, and sometimes Azzi. Nika does the dirty work so they don't have to. Nika is in there because the team moves better and moves faster when she is on the floor. Thats why point guards on most teams play the most minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom