Nika article by Mike Anthony | The Boneyard

Nika article by Mike Anthony

Reaction Score
Awesome article. Loved hearing bits from her father, you can tell she was raised the right way. Her attitude and grit is everything this team needed.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Very good article on a player who is tailor-made to win UConn fans' hearts. Coming in with little fanfare and then crafting an endearing come-back story. From the early injury and fear that she might get marginalized, to the starting spark that sets the tone for the defense's attitude and intensity, Nika (quickly developing along with Aaliyah) helped engineer a noticeable mid-to-late season pop in the Husky's performance. Scrappy, enthusiastic and intense on the court and funny and charismatic off the court, she is very easy to root for.

I still don't have a good feel for where her ceiling might be. Is she pretty close to getting all she can get out of her talent? Seems likely that she'll improve at the very least due to her body maturing and strengthening. We'll see what she does as the level of competition elevates dramatically as the tournament goes on.

Best descriptive phrase in the article calls Nika a "...bolt of irritated intensity..." - perfect!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Hair color change in future?
Rodman piercings?
1616266225653.png

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The tats and body piercings will have to wait until either Nika or CD leaves UConn. Rodman's clothes can probably be found in Stef Dolson's closet.
Not sure about that. Christyn has a visible tattoo on her neck that she does not cover, and Liya has purple and yellow braids. I think the coaches are allowing more and more... Additional signs of changing with the times...

Reaction Score
Very good article on a player who is tailor-made to win UConn fans' hearts. Coming in with little fanfare and then crafting an endearing come-back story. From the early injury and fear that she might get marginalized, to the starting spark that sets the tone for the defense's attitude and intensity, Nika (quickly developing along with Aaliyah) helped engineer a noticeable mid-to-late season pop in the Husky's performance. Scrappy, enthusiastic and intense on the court and funny and charismatic off the court, she is very easy to root for.

I still don't have a good feel for where her ceiling might be. Is she pretty close to getting all she can get out of her talent? Seems likely that she'll improve at the very least due to her body maturing and strengthening. We'll see what she does as the level of competition elevates dramatically as the tournament goes on.

Best descriptive phrase in the article calls Nika a "...bolt of irritated intensity..." - perfect!
My guess and hope is that the response to the question as to her ceiling is she mostly isn't close yet. Glass or otherwise I suspect she will break through any others have determined for her. She has said that she only started playing basketball 4-5 years before arriving in Storrs. She indicated she tried all the other sports over her earlier years and somewhat avoided bball as both her parents played and their careers both ended in injury which devasted each of them - but once she tried basketball she loved it. She is very self aware and in interviews before joining the Hu/skies she self identified her strengths and weaknesses. Distributing the ball and defense were her strengths and shooting efficiency something she knew she had to work on. After a tough start of adjusting to how fouls are called in the US (apparently a lot more contact allowed in Europe) she has adapted that part her game from being foul prone to be the spark to the teams second half of the season reclaiming of UCONN's signature intense defense. She has also accepted the need to be an offense threat to keep the other team's defense honest by increasing her willingness to take and ability to make shots ( for which she has indicated she is putting in extra time practicing on). To me she has a huge upside for continuing improvement and has exhibited the drive to put in the work to do so. As you mentioned she has a great personality to boot. Love this kid and look forward to rooting for her each step of the way.

Reaction Score
Not sure about that. Christyn has a visible tattoo on her neck that she does not cover, and Liya has purple and yellow braids. I think the coaches are allowing more and more... Additional signs of changing with the times...
True. The tat behind Williams' ear is a small (inconspicuous?) cross. I don't know what the braids qualify as; their acceptance probably signifies agreement with the sentiment that Aaliyah is trying to convey (mourning the death of Koby and his daughter).
This may be case by case consideration rather than a change to anything goes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom