Night and day: Tennessee's men's and women's teams | The Boneyard

Night and day: Tennessee's men's and women's teams

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Please help. My antipathy toward all things in Volunteer orange has always extended effortlessly to all other sports. The end of the Summitt era and the Lady Vols' fall from elite status have done little to diminish this sentiment.

But I'm having a very hard time disliking the Tennessee men's team, currently ranked #3 in the country. For starters, I've always liked Rick Barnes, as both a person and a coach, dating back to his tenure at Texas. He's recruited players who were largely under the radar in high school, yet his current team has two likely All-Americans, one of whom is a candidate for NPOY. The team is unselfish, humble and workmanlike.

Where the women's team is a gaudy collection of underacheiving blue-chip recruits, the men's team is the total antithesis to that. It's comical to see that the denizens of VolNation are practically begging Coach Barnes to take over the women's program from Holly.

Reaction Score

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I crack up every time when he says "garbage workers convention" :)
That is one of my favorite clips of all time and it's been posted on here many times. Not sure how old it is, but the guy being interviewed is hysterical. Practically every line is a classic.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In times of trouble I skulk over to Volland and then I don't feel so bad. Holly forever. Do not take this from me! And her pressers ... to die for.
Hi Rocky, I could not agree more with you on this post, but let me ask you (and anyone who may know), what happened to Margo, did she get banned from VolNation? I can’t find any threads for this year. I mean if you’re going to give me the coffee after the meal, can’t I get the cheesecake to go with it? Her recaps were priceless...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It's okay, no need to feel guilty. I totally compartmentalize different sports programs at different schools. I can't stand Coach K but otherwise am fairly indifferent to Duke, for one example.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hi Rocky, I could not agree more with you on this post, but let me ask you (and anyone who may know), what happened to Margo, did she get banned from VolNation? I can’t find any threads for this year. I mean if you’re going to give me the coffee after the meal, can’t I get the cheesecake Togo with it? Her recaps weee priceless...:rolleyes:
I asked a few weeks back and was advised Margo has some health issues. I truly wish her a speedy recovery as her commentary is dearly missed.

Reaction Score
Please help. My antipathy toward all things in Volunteer orange has always extended effortlessly to all other sports. The end of the Summitt era and the Lady Vols' fall from elite status have done little to diminish this sentiment.

But I'm having a very hard time disliking the Tennessee men's team, currently ranked #3 in the country. For starters, I've always liked Rick Barnes, as both a person and a coach, dating back to his tenure at Texas. He's recruited players who were largely under the radar in high school, yet his current team has two likely All-Americans, one of whom is a candidate for NPOY. The team is unselfish, humble and workmanlike.

Where the women's team is a gaudy collection of underacheiving blue-chip recruits, the men's team is the total antithesis to that. It's comical to see that the denizens of VolNation are practically begging Coach Barnes to take over the women's program from Holly.
I like your Opinion !!

Reaction Score
The Tennessee men's team and Rick Barnes are easy to like. Hard working, blue collar players. I've been following Rick since his Providence coaching days. And how can you not like a coach who was born in Hickory, NC?

Reaction Score
I haven't spoken about Holly on the boards before. I have to admit I have been cheering for her to do well. However, I can't say that she has. People rag on Karen Aston for doing less with more, but Holly gets good players and stuggles to get back to the top of the SEC, at least Karen stays close be Baylor and has had seasons where they finished in top 10 rankings. South Carolina is in a down year and I expect them to finish ahead of Tenn. I think Holly is good for the program in so many ways like she was when Pat was there. Just not as the CEO of the team. I don't know if she just needs more years to of experience to get better or she is just a coach that is not meant to be a Head Coach.

I feel like Tenn is trying to hang on to Pat Summit in anyway that they can. It's time to let go and move on. Her legacy will forever be there. It's time to head in a new direction if you want this program to get back to where it was.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't know if she just needs more years to of experience to get better or she is just a coach that is not meant to be a Head Coach.
Hard to make the case that HW needs more experience. She's been coaching college basketball for 38 years, 34 at TN, the last 7 as HC. If she hasn't figured it out by now, she never will.

Reaction Score
Sorry @Plebe a rare misstep -- a red card for any post saying anything positive about Tenn, even its MBB team.

Reaction Score
Hard to make the case that HW needs more experience. She's been coaching college basketball for 38 years, 34 at TN, the last 7 as HC. If she hasn't figured it out by now, she never will.

Can you tell that I like kinda like her and I am trying to give her a pass that isn't really there?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I haven't spoken about Holly on the boards before. I have to admit I have been cheering for her to do well. However, I can't say that she has. People rag on Karen Aston for doing less with more, but Holly gets good players and stuggles to get back to the top of the SEC, at least Karen stays close be Baylor and has had seasons where they finished in top 10 rankings.
Take a look at the status of the two programs before either Karen or Holly took over. Karen, while probably even more challenged offensively than Holly, has made Texas relevant again and is getting in top talent annually more than GG ever could. Heck, it took Jim Boeheim years to learn how to coach is annual collection of AA's before he won a title. Learning how to coach an offense can happen, especially if you hire a top assistant.

The issue with Tenn is it's strict mantra to hold onto all things "Pat", including Holly, assistant coaches, operations etc.

Now with Philip Fulmer as AD, who also had strong ties to Pat, the impetus to fire Holly will not be there unless she misses the NCAA tournament and the team has transfers and poorer performance than they already have. That might prompt him to "retire" her before her contract is up. Other than that, she's there through the 2022 season.

Reaction Score
He still hates them.

That's great - great find! I've enjoyed that clip for years - glad the AL guy is getting some celebrity out of it. And it's funny the reporter who shot i is a priest now - heh heh. Yeah (speaking for myself), hating Tennessee is something that's very hard to get over!! No motivation to, no incentive, no desire...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom