Nice win for SC against LSU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nice win for SC against LSU

Reaction Score
It was a highly entertaining game for fans of the sport. PaoPao forced a lot of shots and was off, Cardoso took some time to get going and remember she had the height and speed advantage. Kitts is much better than I thought she would be when she came to SC last spring. Raven Johnson impresses me pretty much every time I see them.

LSU, while their pieces don't fit together as well, played terrific most of the game. I don't see Hailey Van Lith as a point guard no matter how hard she works but she made some big shots. Morrow played very well. LSU kept SC on their heels but when Reese fouled out I knew the tide was turning.

This was an excellent game and I hope these two square off again in either the SEC tournament or even the NCAA FF.
What a game! Games like that are what make me love WCBB. The game atmosphere was unbelievable, never remember any regular season game having such an environment, the fans were absolute into the game and showed such support. We need more games like this one and I just hope the UConn SC game can be as thrilling. I am a MSST fan and have an SEC bias but I love the UConn Huskies. Let‘s go Huskies, BEAT SOUTH CAROLINA!

Reaction Score
It’s going to be interesting to see how many viewers the game drew. Last year it was the top regular season. This year, I don’t think it will pass Caitlin’s fangirls last week. Last night probably drew well for traditional wbb followers but maybe not as well among the new breed of followers

Reaction Score
So many are making Van Lith the scapegoat. On whole, I thought Van Lith played very well at the PG position. Van Lith ran the offense well, and it really showed when Poa? came in to give Van Lith a breather. Given that Van Lith is playing the 1 vs 2 I really saw Van Lith as one of the reasons LSU was ahead nearly the entire game.

She's not the scapegoat entirely but her play in this game didn't help.

Forget the bad post entry passes, how do you get a 10 second call with no pressure on you? There were moments like that where her decisions/lack of awareness hurt the team when they needed scoring possessions.

Reaction Score
It was a really great game from start to finish. I was thoroughly pleased. LSU was really playing a good game but fatigue and inexperience playing together caused them to not close out quarters well. Milaysia Fulwiley got them back in the game quickly. SC’s depth is second to none especially in the post. Feagin and Watts coming at you after dealing with Cardoso’s length alone is hard to deal with. I still think LSU did a good job containing them. Del Rosario did a good job in limited minutes in my opinion. Angel has to know better than to risk that last foul she was called for. I can’t wait for the SEC tournament. These two teams will really battle it out over the next couple of years especially if Reese, Van Lith and Morrow all return next year. Hope Strong chooses LSU.

Reaction Score
I love this close games!! I watched the replay right after the game. Hailey Van Lith got a lot of unfair criticism on social media. She made a 3-point shot to tie the game. Morrow missed shots in that 4th quarter. Williams missed some shots in that 4th quarter. Reese missed shots. But folks were focusing on Hailey Van Lith, which was not fair. You win as a team and lose as a team. Each player did well in some areas out there and not so well in other areas. Hats off to South Carolina for turning it up a notch in that 3rd quarter and for keeping the game within reach. These close games bring out the true character of your program. South Carolina is going to be a problem the rest of the season and Cardoso was in chill mode for most of the game. Can u imagine the type of carnage, destruction, havoc she could cause if she had a mean streak? If she ever develops that evil side or that evil side shows up, stand back! Great win, South Carolina.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
A few thoughts on the game:
  • Reese is tenacious on the boards
  • SC's youngins stepped up and will get better (lordy)
  • Hailey Van Lith took some off balance shots that I thought were ill advised, as there are only a few players nationally that can do that
  • I'm enjoying Morrow's development where she's not the #1 scoring option, and think this will help her long term if her goal is to play professionally.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love this close games!! I watched the replay right after the game. Hailey Van Lith got a lot of unfair criticism on social media. She made a 3-point shot to tie the game. Morrow missed shots in that 4th quarter. Williams missed some shots in that 4th quarter. Reese missed shots. But folks were focusing on Hailey Van Lith, which was not fair. You win as a team and lose as a team. Each player did well in some areas out there and not so well in other areas. Hats off to South Carolina for turning it up a notch in that 3rd quarter and for keeping the game within reach. These close games bring out the true character of your program. South Carolina is going to be a problem the rest of the season and Cardoso was in chill mode for most of the game. Can u imagine the type of carnage, destruction, havoc she could cause if she had a mean streak? If she ever develops that evil side or that evil side shows up, stand back! Great win, South Carolina.
Hailey Van Lith is taking way too much criticism. She was 5-13 (2-5), and a teammate was 5-18 (1-10) with generally cleaner looks.

Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith is taking way too much criticism. She was 5-13 (2-5), and a teammate was 5-18 (1-10) with generally cleaner looks.
I'd argue Williams going 1-10 from 3, with many of those being open was the killer but Hailey Van Lith definitely didn't help the cause, she gave SC 3 points before the half and kept turning the ball over on the inbounds in key situations when LSU had the chance to expand the lead. But I wouldn't solely blame Hailey Van Lith for the loss, thats not what happened.

I'd say its a combination of MK's poor shooting, bad decision making from Hailey Van Lith and Reese picking up silly fouls did them in.

Reaction Score

Re Cardoso, didn't Coach Staley say she had to want it at half time? Forget about a mean streak. She has to be engaged from the tip without needing her coach to get on her to do so. I noticed that in her play during high school with Hamilton Heights. Since joining SC she's been better, but it still shows up from time to time.

Reaction Score
I'm not really surprised by LSU performance. In front of that crowd and considering how they lost last year I expected them to show up. At the end of the day I believe that chip on their shoulder propelled them but also bit them in the end.

It was a winnable game for them but during key parts of the game it felt like LSU was more interested in showboating than extending the lead. By the 4th quarter Angel was out of control emotionally and was basically asking for the refs to call a foul. If anybody I think she cost them the game.

I was impressed with Morrow, I know she wanted to prove herself in this game in particular and she held her own. I enjoyed Bree Hall performance, she struggled offensively for 3 quarters but defensively she made Williams work for her shots.

Overall a great game for WBB on primetime.
Hall played great defense on Williams all night, not mentioned enough. Those 4th qtr threes were daggers as well. She did same at Stanford last season in an OT game and at UNC this year also, she is clutch on the road late in close games with those dagger threes.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It’s going to be interesting to see how many viewers the game drew. Last year it was the top regular season. This year, I don’t think it will pass Caitlin’s fangirls last week. Last night probably drew well for traditional wbb followers but maybe not as well among the new breed of followers
1.56 million, lots of new eyes on the game. Clark draws a ton of fans on her own, but the sport is growing all over. Just look at USC/UCLA selling out games of 10-15k. Awesome to see.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
So here's the question: Who was the best player on the floor?

Good question: Depended on the segment.

Overall maybe Morrow?

For SC, for whole game, maybe Raven?

It's hard to say, both teams were really balanced that I don't think you can really isolate 1 standout but I'd tend to agree with Morrow/Raven. Could also be Reese for LSU, though her fouls were costly. She was really impactful and a difference maker when she was in the game.

Reaction Score
It's hard to say, both teams were really balanced that I don't think you can really isolate 1 standout but I'd tend to agree with Morrow/Raven. Could also be Reese for LSU, though her fouls were costly. She was really impactful and a difference maker when she was in the game.
I think overall, I agree with you. I thought Morrow had the most complete game from start to finish. Cloe Kitts was hot initially then faded which can happen to a young player. Cardoso on the other hand did not getting going until after the half.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have to go with Reese/Morrow and Raven/Breezy Hall. That entire second half Raven had control of that game. She was masterful. Bree Hall held Williams To 5/18 including 1/10 from 3. That’s pretty impressive defense to add to her shooting the last 3 mins. Chloe was terrific in the first half. She made LSU pay for doubling up on Kamilla. She just isn’t big and strong enough yet to defend bigger/stronger post players.

Reaction Score
Did anyone see the glares that Cardosa gave Reese after those blocks?
They were both going back and forth with the looks after they blocked each other which is funny. Reese surprisingly did really well though last night. She didn't look in the best shape but she was good.

Reaction Score
Great question. To be honest, each team kind of balanced out. No one player stood out from the pack. I was impressed with Chloe and her ability to drive and she was not afraid to go at it with Morrow. Same with Morrow. She was a handful. But both teams just balanced themselves out and not one player, to me, really stood out as the best player.

Reaction Score
1.56 million, lots of new eyes on the game. Clark draws a ton of fans on her own, but the sport is growing all over. Just look at USC/UCLA selling out games of 10-15k. Awesome to see.

The game got more views than a NBA rivalry week game!

Reaction Score
What a game! Games like that are what make me love WCBB. The game atmosphere was unbelievable, never remember any regular season game having such an environment, the fans were absolute into the game and showed such support. We need more games like this one and I just hope the UConn SC game can be as thrilling. I am a MSST fan and have an SEC bias but I love the UConn Huskies. Let‘s go Huskies, BEAT SOUTH CAROLINA!
WHAT? SEC BIAS? SEC LOVE? " Let's go Huskies, BEAT SOUTH CAROLINA!" Really? You've just moved off my Christmas card list.

Reaction Score
I have to admit that I thought Morrow would be distracted by the "Bayou Barbie" antics. To her credit, she's been solid. Midrange game is impressive in just a year's time. Quietly, and maturely, she was the best LSU player on the floor against SC. Which makes it more confusing why their 4th quarter offense, especially in the last few minutes was driven by a frosh having a bad shooting night and a pg taking off balanced forced shots. Flaujae and Morrow were the best shooters, not to mention being slashers/rebounders who could have drawn fouls so LSU could score without the clock running. And Mulkey could have gotten Reese off the floor without burning that timeout. If Reese is the leader of this team, then she has to be more composed. She provides hype, but it's the kind that can be distracting and unsettling, not to mention consequential. Once Cardoso blocked her shot...I knew she was going to foul out trying to even the score. I thought she played solid d up to that point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom