Nice refs | The Boneyard

Nice refs

Reaction Score
Not at all biased. Not at all letting the game be too physical. Over the back...pushes in the back...hop checks...on and on.
And a couple hip checks...and 1 by Lou that she got away with :)

Reaction Score
I thought the referees disgraced themselves tonight, especially in the forth quarter when their favoritism was on full display for all to see. The crowd in Albany let them know it, too.

This anti-UConn bias in officiating damn well better not rear its ugly head in the Final Four again like last year. Grrrrrrr!

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Re: reffing-- This is increasingly the style of too much of women's hoops, which Kara, for example, seems not only to accept but also approve of and recommend. But the body-on-body, reach-and-grab approach to defense makes UConn's pass-screen-cut with rapid man and ball movement very hard to run. Hence, in the last quarter, as Geno predicted, we had to create offense one-on-one. Certainly less aesthetic and "fluid," but that seems to be what current refing dictates.

Reaction Score
I think every Pqac 12 team grimaces when Barlow is reffing their game.
No doubt. I am a UCONN fan transplanted to Arizona & Barlow does most of her games in the Pac 12. LOL...we hear her name mentioned during the telecasts more than some of the players after her dubious whistles.

Reaction Score
Re: reffing-- This is increasingly the style of too much of women's hoops, which Kara, for example, seems not only to accept but also approve of and recommend. But the body-on-body, reach-and-grab approach to defense makes UConn's pass-screen-cut with rapid man and ball movement very hard to run. Hence, in the last quarter, as Geno predicted, we had to create offense one-on-one. Certainly less aesthetic and "fluid," but that seems to be what current refing dictates.
Kara is technically correct about some of the foul calls. But the issue is how many refs would not call these fouls & let them play. The problem is inconsistency of the official crews.

Reaction Score
They didn't even call: "Illegal use of the hands!"
The fouls were basically even (15- 14) & two of UCLA's starters had 4 fouls. So we shouldn't point to officiating as an excuse for a close game. We need better offense from Walker & KLS vs. Louisville.
You are right about getting more from Meg. She started hot and then she looked hesitant once she got her second foul touch foul. Refs were outright bad.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
The fouls were basically even (15- 14) & two of UCLA's starters had 4 fouls. So we shouldn't point to officiating as an excuse for a close game. We need better offense from Walker & KLS vs. Louisville.
It's not the even calls on each side, it's the inconsistent calls throughout. ie Lou gets called for a charge and then on the other end, basically the same situation and Lou gets called for a block. If my wife wasn't here to reign me in, I probably would have committed hari cari (sp).

Reaction Score
I was at the game. (Still here.) The refs let so much off the ball contact from UCLA but then called touch fouls on us. many elbows and stiff arms not called. The physical play got to UConn. No doubt about it
They got it together in the 4th. Looking forward to Sunday.

Reaction Score
I was at the game. (Still here.) The refs let so much off the ball contact from UCLA but then called touch fouls on us. many elbows and stiff arms not called. The physical play got to UConn. No doubt about it
They got it together in the 4th. Looking forward to Sunday.
Have to give UCLA credit for some unique defense and rebounding. On every offensive rebound, they pushed off, either with their hip or arm. On defense, the off the ball defender grabbed the hands/wrists of their player, not letting them get open for pass. If the refs don't call it, little UConn can do.

Reaction Score
While the refs weren't great, I will take their performance over that disaster of a crew from Sunday night. They called 46 fouls with many touch fouls in a non- physical game & it destroyed the flow of the game.
I understand that viewpoint but I disagree. I think we benefit from a tighter called game. We are team versus a collection of iso players and we play a game of skill and finesse. There is FAR too much contact in the paint. It makes for an ugly game and it makes for injuries. I am ok with some ugly games with lots of foul calls to force teams to play the game without fouling. The touch fouls and hand check calls past the three point line don't make up for all the grabbing, pushing and bumping in the paint. Seems like they can't see it or won't call anything in traffic. How many times did one of our players come off a screen to receive a pass and get hammered in the back just as they received the ball?

Reaction Score
Lou should have stayed on the ground for a minute after that hard foul. It definately was a Flagrant 1. The unsportsman call was stupid it was excessive any way you look at it. The UCLA players arms were around Lou's neck aggressively.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom