NFL Draft Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NFL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not a Pats fan but living in Boston I see them play a lot. If I were a fan, I dunno how I'd feel going in to another season with Edelman and Amendola as my two best/most proven receivers. Yeah Brady is getting old but it's not like this is his last year. He's signed until 2017. And obviously the successor of Tom f-cking Brady is not going to play until Brady is gone. So you're giving up on a potential instant impact player for a 3 or 4-year project. I will say, the guy they picked for said project could have been a lot worse. This is probably about as high as you can draft a QB and get away with giving him a clipboard for a few years.

edit but of course, this has to happen eventually.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not a Pats fan but living in Boston I see them play a lot. If I were a fan, I dunno how I'd feel going in to another season with Edelman and Amendola as my two best/most proven receivers. Yeah Brady is getting old but it's not like this is his last year. He's signed until 2017. And obviously the successor of Tom f-cking Brady is not going to play until Brady is gone. So you're giving up on a potential instant impact player for a 3 or 4-year project. I will say, the guy they picked for said project could have been a lot worse. This is probably about as high as you can draft a QB and get away with giving him a clipboard for a few years.

edit but of course, this has to happen eventually.

Well, I think that Aaron Rogers disputes your comment about where a qb can be drafted. It is more a case of the situation the qb is being put in.

People expect someone drafted to step right in and contribute but can you definitively say that drafting a wr in round two would have given you someone who can beat out a group who have been in the system over a year? As someone smarter than me pointed out, why is it ok to add depth at wr/dl/rb/etc but not at the most important position on the field?

You have an offensive core mainly on rookie deals (Ridley, Vareen, Thompkins, Dobson, Boyce...) and you take a huge cap hit cutting Amendola this year so you aren't saving anything by drafting another young wr.

Reaction Score
People expect someone drafted to step right in and contribute but can you definitively say that drafting a wr in round two would have given you someone who can beat out a group who have been in the system over a year? As someone smarter than me pointed out, why is it ok to add depth at wr/dl/rb/etc but not at the most important position on the field?

You have an offensive core mainly on rookie deals (Ridley, Vareen, Thompkins, Dobson, Boyce...) and you take a huge cap hit cutting Amendola this year so you aren't saving anything by drafting another young wr.
No, nobody can definitively say anything, and I'm not saying it isn't okay that they made the pick they did. I guess not being a religious follower of the Pats I have no idea what the team can expect of the young guys next year.

edit how would you feel if they took Landry instead?

Reaction Score
No, nobody can definitively say anything, and I'm not saying it isn't okay that they made the pick they did. I guess not being a religious follower of the Pats I have no idea what the team can expect of the young guys next year.

edit how would you feel if they took Landry instead?

He's similar to what is on the roster in terms of physical build. If they were going to go wr, I'd want a bigger, red zone target. That is what hurt them vs Miami last year. LaFell, who is no sure thing to make it out of camp, is their only "big" possession wr as of now. There are plenty of big wr's left if they choose to go that way. The only one in the range of the late 2nd round was Allen Robinson. However, is that as big a need as back up qb, safety, interior OL, or reserve LB? That is the question that must be answered in the war room. Honestly, the answer won't be known until Garopollo is asked to take some meaningful snaps.

That all being said, after getting Revis, Browner, and Smith, resigning Edelman and Wilfork, and getting guys like Gronk, Mayo, Kelly, and Vollmer back from injury there aren't a ton of spots available for significant time next year. Their thinking is probably along the line that they can get really talented guys who will fill out #'s 40-53 on the roster and develop while some of the older players wrap up their careers.

Reaction Score
He's similar to what is on the roster in terms of physical build. If they were going to go wr, I'd want a bigger, red zone target.
Pretty much what I was thinking; just looked at the draft board and Landry was the first decent name I saw drafted at a similar point in the round, just looking for an overall reaction to drafting another WR.

I honestly know nothing about the Pats's defensive needs. You got me there.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Watching people on twitter, and some of them fairly educated football people, wonder about that pick for NE makes me laugh.

1. [ ]Brady will be what, 37 in week 1? There has to be a succession plan.
    [ ]This guy is under their control for 4 years (5 if you want to include a franchise tag)
    [ ]Too early for a qb? 2nd round picks under BB are usually not called upon anyway unless injury force their need as rookies. Even Gronk was considered a 2nd or 3rd te as a rookie.
    [ ]They have other needs? Well, they have weapons already. Young wr's who are developing and cheap, free agent (re)signings in LaFell and Edelman, two very capable running backs (3 if you thing Bolden is anything), and a game changer at TE.
    [ ]The draft isn't over AND they have free agents who they have had contact with like Dustin Keller and Michael Bush to round out roster spots.
I like the pick. The Pats obviously had him rated higher. QB position is your lifeblood. What are the chances that Brady gets through 4 seasons unscathed - assuming he plays 4 more years? I think it's reasonable to believe another QB will start 10-16 games for the Pats over the next 4 years either way. A big WR target should be next on the board, but what they really need is a healthy Gronk.

Reaction Score
I like the pick. The Pats obviously had him rated higher. QB position is your lifeblood. What are the chances that Brady gets through 4 seasons unscathed - assuming he plays 4 more years? I think it's reasonable to believe another QB will start 10-16 games for the Pats over the next 4 years either way. A big WR target should be next on the board, but what they really need is a healthy Gronk.
I was hoping we would draft CJ Fiedorwizc (spelling is wrong) since he was the only TE left, and then go to McCarron in the 3rd.. oh well. At least we will get to see Browner match up with Amaro on the jets

Reaction Score
....Just 8 teams have had 3 or more players drafted in the first 100 players, 3 rounds.

5 - LSU
5 - Notre Dame
4 - Florida State
4 - Louisville
4 - Ohio State
3 - Alabama
3 - Auburn
3 - Texas A&M

31 - Total

31% of all players drafted, so far, have come from these 8 schools.

Reaction Score
LSU had the most drafted players with 9.

Notre Dame and Alabama were tied for second place with 8 players drafted each.

Reaction Score
Nice to know we recruited well in 2010, which doesn't explain 2011 and 2013.

But at least it's an even numbered year.

Reaction Score
Holy crap.

Bridgewater looked like Christian Ponder in those highlights.

But, still, I choose to believe that the Vikings just drafted the next great Viking quarterback. (Don't ask me who the last one was.)
Not sure which comment is a bigger "WTF" this or the Barr one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom