Next year's starting lineup | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Next year's starting lineup

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
When it comes to point guards leading UConn...the x-factor that Dangerfield must negotiate is Mikayla Coombs (5 star combo-guard, number 2 at her position).

Reaction Score
Was YK99 being so negative? If we are to be more than a knee-jerk entity it should be possible to offer critique (NOT CRITICISM) of player by pointing to relevant things. I think s/he is right in questioning KLS defense and other parts of her underdeveloped game. If the two transfer were available today, I would see no justification for KLS starting. A lot of good shooters come off the bench in the NBA and WNBA- although less today than before, given that there are many good shooters. Next year, I cannot see Geno convincing Kia and/or Gabby to come off the bench- that would be a scandal. So, suddenly you can have too many riches. That said, Pheesa coming off the bench would not make sense. It should not be lost on US that Geno wants KLS to become a scorer and not just a shooter. Unless she enters her Jr year as a scorer and can hold her own, I see her getting her minutes but coming off the bench. There are countless interviews in which Geno talked about the Califonia mentality, etc. REMEMBER. Chong was a scorer in HS, but her defense (better than KLS) was not making it, and the team had enought scorers to send her on the bench. That Samuelson is an AA means not a whole lot, but points and hype may play a lot! Having said the above, it is clear that KLS is the darling of the onlookers.

Reaction Score
How about all the "star" players on other teams that didn't win the NC. Did they do just okay? Doris Burke said Azura will be the best women's college basketball player next year. If not, it will be because she's in competition with Gabby, Napheesa and Katie Lou.

Reaction Score
Was YK99 being so negative? If we are to be more than a knee-jerk entity it should be possible to offer critique (NOT CRITICISM) of player by pointing to relevant things. I think s/he is right in questioning KLS defense and other parts of her underdeveloped game. If the two transfer were available today, I would see no justification for KLS starting. A lot of good shooters come off the bench in the NBA and WNBA- although less today than before, given that there are many good shooters. Next year, I cannot see Geno convincing Kia and/or Gabby to come off the bench- that would be a scandal. So, suddenly you can have too many riches. That said, Pheesa coming off the bench would not make sense. It should not be lost on US that Geno wants KLS to become a scorer and not just a shooter. Unless she enters her Jr year as a scorer and can hold her own, I see her getting her minutes but coming off the bench. There are countless interviews in which Geno talked about the Califonia mentality, etc. REMEMBER. Chong was a scorer in HS, but her defense (better than KLS) was not making it, and the team had enought scorers to send her on the bench. That Samuelson is an AA means not a whole lot, but points and hype may play a lot! Having said the above, it is clear that KLS is the darling of the onlookers.
I can't imagine Lou not starting. #1 HS player in her class, lights-out shooter who frees up everyone else because she draws so much attention, plays more minutes than anyone, first team AA, and her teammates say they feed off her energy. This isn't the description of someone you bring off the bench.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score

I can't imagine Lou not starting. #1 HS player in her class, lights-out shooter who frees up everyone else because she draws so much attention, plays more minutes than anyone, first team AA, and her teammates say they feed off her energy. This isn't the description of someone you bring off the bench.

J66 I agree.

So - hjoerring, you'd rather have Batouly Camara start than KLS ??? You do know she was benched at one point at Kentucky for lack of effort on the defensive end, right ?? And not the equal of KLS on offense either. I think I'll let Geno figure this out. He MAY have a bit more insight and pyschological motives behind his commentaries than you and I can comprehend. Remember when Rebecca was the "worst post player in the country" ?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When it comes to point guards leading UConn...the x-factor that Dangerfield must negotiate is Mikayla Coombs (5 star combo-guard, number 2 at her position).
Mikalya SAYS that she is a shooting guard, but she'll be whatever Geno wants her to be. I think she'll play both guard positions, but mostly PG. The year after next, I expect her to be Crystal's back-up. Geno has said he sees a future for Crystal in USA Basketball, which really means at the Olympic level. She should be ahead of Mikayla in the rotation, but I agree that Mikayla will be the second best freshman. She has decent size, great athleticism, and tremendously broad skills.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to see other teams' point guards trying to deal with our 5'11 point who is an assist machine, a world class athlete, a great rebounder, and jumps center.

I have no doubt that Gabby will be a great point guard, which allows us to add a 6'6 center, leave Kia and Lou in their positions, Pheesa slides to the 4 and gets to use that sweet jumper a bit more.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to see other teams' point guards trying to deal with our 5'11 point who is an assist machine, a world class athlete, a great rebounder, and jumps center.

I have no doubt that Gabby will be a great point guard, which allows us to add a 6'6 center, leave Kia and Lou in their positions, Pheesa slides to the 4 and gets to use that sweet jumper a bit more.

I don't see it. There is no way the other's team smallest pg is going to guard Gabby just because she brings the ball up the court.

Secondly, Gabby is unique at the pf position - so why would you for example pull her from the pf spot where now she'll also be able ot feed a 6'6 player like Stevens inside? At least Napheesa can go outside for a bit while Stevens goes inside and vice-versa. But nobody is going to play the pf spot on offense like her.

If she is the pg, then she can be better neutralized through a zone. Why have her compete 20+ feet from the basket just so she could bring the ball up the court?

If Gabby is the pg, then on defense why wouldn't you play zone vs UCONN? And is Gabby bets suited to be 20-25 feet from the basket or 10-15 feet?

At one time someone mentioned "pg's can post." Sure they can, but what would define that player as the pg if that is what they mostly do?

Reaction Score
Ditto. Crystal gets the reins the year after next. Geno can trust Kia who has been a starter almost since Day 1 and has never lost a game in that role. I'm not sure why some people actually believe Kia could land on the bench next year. I sometimes wonder if we're all watching the same game. Crystal will be a great player but her time isn't here yet.

Kia off the bench ha ha. Ridiculous

Reaction Score
Dangerfield came to uconn to be mojos replacement there's no way she isn't starting next year. As i said earlier in this thread geno will have the lineup set by the time they get back from Italy in August.

Reaction Score
Gabby came in as a guard, Geno saw much more in her. I'm betting he still sees the flexibility, intelligence and athleticism that allows her to excel anywhere on the floor.

She will also be our shortest starter, at the point, so let the other teams match her up with a big defender, creating bigger mismatches elsewhere, and taking them away from their norm, which will make them uncomfortable. I look forward to watching Gabby hdrive around, through, or over them before they get set. And I believe with her pin point passing she will find a way to deliver the ball to the wings as well as the posts, along the way.

About zones, From what I've seen we've got lots of zone busters, we move the ball quickly and we drive and kick very well. The zone may not be our opponents comfort zone and when it's shredded they may come unglued: advantage us.

Another reason I see Gabby at the point is that Geno likes to put his best five on the floor, then figure out how the roles will work. Stevens is one of his best five, Dangerfield isn't, not yet.

I also think that Geno prepares his players for the next level, especially those he holds in the high esteem. He holds Gabby in the highest esteem, so it's time to move her out of the post into a position she can thrive in as a post grad.

I expect Geno to be thinking outside the box, where he does his best work...he may do something we will never dream up, and I'm sure it will work.

Reaction Score
Gabby won't play the point; Kia will play the point. Gabby will do what she's done this year; she will position herself at the foul line and make amazing pass after amazing pass.

Reaction Score
If you don't want KLS, every other team in the country would take her (Are trades legal in the NCAA?) I haven't thought of myself as a "KLS apologist", but she did just make first team AP AA today. Hey, let's bench her - she's slow.

No one said anything about trading her or benching her. I stand by what I said. I gave a fair critique of her game.She is a deadly shooter if she has space and time. She is not the most complete player on the team. She is adding pieces to her game. She is working on defense, dribbling, post play, driving through the lane. If you go by percentages, she is not the most clutch shooter on the team.

IMO your entire tone is not even close to what is really happening. I wonder if your tone is more of frustration because some fans appreciate Lou's game a lot more than you so you make some things up to try to tear them down and/or overanalyze the negatives similar to what the NBA did a long time ago with Cliff Robinson. The "Lou-apologists," really?

First off she IS a good ballhandler. She's not quick enough to "blow by defenders" but she IS a good ballhandler.

KLS can dribble the ball. Any basketball player at an elite school can sufficiently dribble the ball. That doesn't make her a good ball handler. Is she the guard to bring the ball up court? Is she the guard to break the press? She is a good ball handler relative to whom? She is the guard with the most turnovers on the team.

Secondly- when you speak of her height- imo your post sounds like code to never giver her any credit -- because do you realize she is 6'3? Otherwise how can you say "she does well vs smaller players" yet make the type of post you just made? Because she IS taller at the wing than any team that guards her. Yes she does well against smaller defender which means she does well A LOT which means she is an all-american.

It appears the running answer to any critique is "she in an AA so..." this means any critique is not valid. That is not logical . Of course I know she is 6"3" that is why I mentioned her not being able to defend say a 6'3" B.Turner, 6'3" B.Jones or 6'4"Coates etc. Doing well against smaller players is a mismatch and an advantage. She is supposed to do well against smaller players. How does she fair against equal height or taller players. Read my post again. I give her credit with expanding her game.

Third- I guess you missed the games vs Texas, Notre Dame and Maryland? Unless you are trying to suggest they aren't "athletic?" Ohh that's right they were ALL smaller defenders too just as every other she has gone against was. :)

I saw those games. What was special about Tx? Notre Dame. Did she take over? Did she shut anyone down? Did she take over and shut someone down? KLS's majority of points come from wide open shots, 2, 3, screens for open jumpers and layups drives off of screens. How many offensive sets were run for her to score? (She scored-18, GW-19, NC-20). According to Lobo, Burke, Rowe and Muffett-Gabby was the surprise and standout player of the game. She was everywhere. All over the post and the passing lanes. ND couldn't get B.Turner touches in the paint.

"The Katie Lou game"@MD she played a gritty gutsy game-no question.
What do you want me to say?(She scored over 5'7 Slocum and 5'8 Confroy? ;))

Fourth -- She is NOW making assists because she has recognized that her teammates are shooting well and she isn't. For example Gabby's shot seems to be taken with much more confidence now and Nurse has been BEYOND incredible shooting 3's.
So the high-low is so efficient and Gabby shooting so well and Nurse's shooting amazing, why would you run curls for Lou? SO why focus on getting Lou to score? You wouldn't do that, would you? SO why wouldn't she be passing the ball more? She's smart like all UCONN players. Yet your tone "she is passing the ball now," you've twisted it to a negative from before.

Which of her teammates have shot the ball poorly/When? Not Chong. Not Nurse and certainly not Napheesa. Gabby is not a 3pt shooter and she has shot at 50% or above all year (58%). Her jumper has been the same all year. Her teammates have been shooting the ball well all year. This didn't happen all of sudden. KLS is the only person who has went into a shooting slump 8 for 35 over 5 games for her 3 ball. During that time she was not passing the ball more.She is passing the ball more now because she is working on her all around game. She is filling in her gaps and not being so one dimensional. There is nothing wrong with that.

What do you think would happen if Kia starts missing her 3's and Gabby misses a few jumpers and the becomes reluctant to shoot? I could also throw in Collier being in foul trouble IMO a poster like you when this happens you won't give any credit to Lou or you'll forget it like you forget the ND, Texas and Md. So if we lose in these scenarios it will be because 'Lou stopped passing the ball, right?"

I didn't forget ND, TX or MD. See above. When Lou does something spectacular it is spectacular. 10 for 10 Awesome. MD game was awesome. If we lost in ND, TX or MD it would have been a team lost just like there are team wins. Check the stats. Kia has been steady from 3pt all year her percentage tops KLS so does NC (SC~40%). Gabby and Napheesa's hi-low game has been steady all year.

Fifth- and again you look at all the negatives but I wonder if you've forgotten that all those good to elite guards are as you mentioned above "smaller than Lou." And if she can't guard those players at all then I guess when they say UCONN switches on everything it means Lou seldom had ot guard these good to elite guards over the course of the game? That's ridiculous imo.

Watch the games and tell me when Lou has guarded an elite guard by herself for a game. UCONN does switch and provides help defense to cover their soft spots-that includes on the wing and down low. You are telling me KLS is fast enough to guard a point or shooting guard? Is she athletic enough and fast enough to guard a 6'2-6'5 W or P?

Final points- the Golden State Warriors Steph Curry was a beast for a coupe of years and he wasn't "Mich00lle Cooper" defensively. So..what? So...wait..as long as she scores it doesn't matter what type of defender she is. Got it. Thus any critique of her defensive skills is not valid. You might be on to something. K.Plum is walking away with all of the trophies this year and she most definitely is not known for being the greatest of defender.
And as for the defenders against Lou- I remember watching a lot of matchups between Ewing and Olajuown. Ewing had a sweet jumper but you could see with Olajuwon sometimes he'd actually force Ewing to throw up his shot with more arch. With Lou- rarely have I seen an oppsoing team force her to arch her shot more etc. She just misses.
You are right. Lou doesn't change her shot. It is either shot when she has space hit/miss or blocked. Rarely has Lou been put into a fiercely contested position. The point is irrelevant. I think MM/BS are good shooters. They changed their shot. MJ23 changed his shot. LBird changed his shot. Those guys would rather see it go in than get blocked.

YellwJcket999, if she's so horrible, why has she played the most minutes? When it all comes together for her, she will be great. She's an excellent passer, an incredible shooter who can post up and who can drive to the basket. She does need to improve moving laterally to stay in front of the ball handler, and she needs to get stronger, which she referenced her freshman year in the "Getting to know Katie Lou" video, which means she knows what she has to improve, and she will do the work needed to improve. By the way, you were a basketball star when you went to college, right?
So..Let me get this straight. You were a basketball star in college and thus your opinion carries more weight than mine. Okay.
Why has KLS, GW, NC, KN played so many minutes. The team needs scorers, defenders and players. Geno doesn't have the luxury of sitting anyone. The scoring production drops significantly when KI, MB, NB are in the game. No one said she is horrible.
KLS is a work in progress. My original post merely stated that she has work to do on her game. I gave kudos and highlighted the areas that she is working on. It also states that any criticism of her game more or less would be attacked. This is has been true. I also stated that KLS is the most hyped.
KLS makes a drive to the basket there is extra attention and emphasis. Good heavens if she makes a steal or a block. Does she driver better than SC, KN,GW,NC or CD? Does she pass, block shots, rebound, defend better than any of them? KLS is the shooter who is adding other facets to her game. Gabby is the guardpost who is adding the midrange-three ball to her game.

There is nothing wrong with calling a tree a tree.

Just a few points defending Lou.

"She does well against smaller or less athletic defenders" - I don't think this is true. Considiering she plays guard, most guards will be shorter. Opposing teams defend her with their best perimeter defender otherwise you'll see another 10 for 10 from behind the arc.
When KLS went 10 for 10 did she have a taller athletic person guarding her? When she went for 32 and 34?
The MD game had Slocumb, Charles and Confroy on her. The ND game had Ogunbowale, Young and Mabrey. (Are they best the best defenders?) Both teams switched a lot as we run multiple screens to get her looks .

"There are some stating that she is a good ball handler and defender...eh" - You must have missed those coast to coast layups with a behind the back dribble and dribbling through traffic. Her defense is hot and warm (not cold) but could be better but how about those 5 steals in the Oregon game? (Who didn't get a steal in that game...how hard was it to get a steal in that game)
I saw the layup and the behind the back dribble. My post was more or less about let's not get ahead of ourselves about her attributes. Let some of you guys tell it there is really no areas that she isn't good to great at. There is a difference of being proficient, good and great. C.Osahor has stepped in the lane picked off a past and dribbled down court with traffic for a layup (in this tournament). Is she a good ball handler? Osahor hits the three ball pretty efficiently is she a KLS type shooter? I believe it is a very rare thing for an elite D1 basketball player who can't dribble the ball.
She is a excellent spot up jump shooter not as great if she has to create her own shot - Name a UConn other than starter Gabby Williams or backup Crystal that can create her own shot. The team rely on passing, screens and cuts.
S.Chong, KNurse, N.Collier. Please tell me you haven't seen Chong, Nurse or even Collier take someone off the dribble. Chong's highlight reel for senior day shows her shaking 3 players on FlSt for a score. Nurse scored 33 in the Olympics against professional players...eh..
She's just a sophomore who was named AAC co-player of the year as well as first team All American. She can't be that bad.
She is not bad. She is bona fide shooting threat. She is starting to develop a dribble drive, a post game, passing game and becoming a better defender. She is working on her skills to become an all around weapon.
:)

Is she the new golden child. Yes. Is she the next B.Stewart 6'4 dribble drive, post, 3pt threat with great defensive skills..eh..
Is she a better all around player than KML...

KLS is a good basketball player getting better. A fair critique on her skills is not diminishing what she has accomplished nor what she will accomplish.

Reaction Score
J66 I agree.

So - hjoerring, you'd rather have Batouly Camara start than KLS ??? You do know she was benched at one point at Kentucky for lack of effort on the defensive end, right ?? And not the equal of KLS on offense either. I think I'll let Geno figure this out. He MAY have a bit more insight and pyschological motives behind his commentaries than you and I can comprehend. Remember when Rebecca was the "worst post player in the country" ?

I'm not for having any of this year's starters coming off the bench- in principle. Nor I have said anything about Batouly starting. I am perplexed about Stevens place on the team next year. If we leave out the incoming Freshmen it is really about Stevens and Dangerfield. Starting Stevens means putting Nurse at pt, KLS or Gabby as sg. While they have effectively advanced the ball many times this year I would not say they are ideal ball-handlers. This of course give Dangerfield the opportunity to sub for either plus Nurse. The downside? Probably not a lot of long and continuous playing time for Dangerfield. Nevertheless, we are thinking in the box. Who starts might be irrelevant, something to get beyond. Let us blame it on Stevens for transfering, had she not done so we wouldn't be in this parlour game or moving chairs. Lastly, KLS is not having the tournament we and her expected (she could save her best for the next game(s), but I suspect she will reach for even higher grounds come summer. So I am expecting she and the others to even more dominant.

Reaction Score
Crystal had the chance to seize the starting point guard position this season and it didn't happen. That's not surprising considering UConn is a difficult environment for small guards that are used to playing with the ball in their hands. The best situation for her is to be the backup point guard where the coaches can put pressure on her to take ownership and be the leader of the second unit with her classmates and the incoming players. She'll still get the opportunity to play with the starts in competitive situations as part of the core rotation, but she will also get plenty of minutes quarterbacking the second unit.

The best thing for the future of the players and UConn is if Stevens slides into the starting lineup. Gabby, Pheesa, and Lou are all going to be wing players as professionals so the more ball handling ability and perimeter defense skills they can develop in college the better. Kia's greatest value as a professional will be if she can effectively play and defend both guard positions so the more she handles the point guard responsibilities in college the better. Point guard at UConn has always been mostly about leadership, organizing, and initiating the offense. That's what Kia has been doing this season as evidenced by when she was missing, but next season we wouldn't have to debate which guard Kia gets labeled as. Kia can bring the ball up in dead ball situations, but in live ball situations Gabby can also serve as second outlet. I don't necessarily want Gabby bringing up the ball and trying to initiate offense against a set defense, but I do want the ball in Gabby's hands as much as possible in transition.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is she the new golden child. Yes. Is she the next B.Stewart 6'4 dribble drive, post, 3pt threat with great defensive skills..eh..
Is she a better all around player than KML...A fair critique on her skills is not diminishing what she has accomplished nor what she will accomplish.
They are all golden children and princesses not just KLS. An unfair critique is diminishing her skills and BTW you don't get to pronounce your critique "fair" because it's not. The part of your critique that is most unfair is the part that says KLS only hits wide open shots-nothing could be further from the truth. Go and watch the FSU or Baylor or MD game and you will see KLS hitting very closely contested shots that was the difference in those games. This is a significant improvement in her game from last year and what has propelled her to AA status.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gabby won't play the point; Kia will play the point. Gabby will do what she's done this year; she will position herself at the foul line and make amazing pass after amazing pass.

Who did you pencil in at the point and center before this season?

How can you be absolute about the future decisions of the most creative coach in basketball.

...We never know what coach is thinking (until he tells us)...but we do know that Chong and Dangerfield fought it out for the point this year but ...Kia wasn't auditioned.

You still may be right... but I don't see her being as quick or agile as Gabby.... I do see her as one of our best shooting guards ever... I admire her calmness, leadership, and shot selection.

I see Gabby as the most flexible and multifaceted player on the team. if we can keep everyone else at or near their expertise by challenging one player to morph, I' choose Gabby...she's already done it at this level.

Reaction Score
I know this is w-a-a-a-y premature, but I can't help thinking about it. Does anyone have any insight as to what Geno plans for next year's starting lineup?

I have heard him tout Azura as possibly the best player in the country, so it's hard to imagine her coming off the bench. And the only starting senior is our point guard. Is he going to shift each other player a position? Ie, make KLS the point guard, Kia the SG...etc? Can Katie even run the point? I know just about everyone on the team is a good passer, but how about ball handling and setting up and running the offense? If he starts Crystal at the point, which would seem logical, either he takes Azura off the bench, or kicks one of the other starters out of the starting lineup, which seems incomprehensible to me.

Out here in WV I don't get the Geno show that you get up there (if you still get them - I haven't even been back to Conn. since 2014). Has anyone on the coaching staff talked about this? Of course, it wouldn't be real politic to talk about moving someone to the bench in the middle of the tournament.

With Azura and Camera and Walker coming in, it certainly will be a nice problem to have. As long as he can keep everyone happy about playing time, that is.
I will give you coach Auriemma's answer to your question: "It is far too early to even think about that. We have work to do here that is, for the moment, far more important. And if we are fortunate enough to win this championship, we all need to take some time to enjoy the accomplishment, bask in the glow, learn from it, and take a deep breath. Personally, I'm going to take some time off and have some fun. I will play some golf, enjoy a glass of wine, and spend time with family and friends. When this season has been fully digested, when there is nothing more to re-hash, and when I am clear-headed and well-rested, I will call in the staff and we will begin thinking about it. Until then, do it by yourself, if you enjoy such a diversion. But you aren't going to hear anything about it from me until it is time. Have a great day."

Reaction Score
I know this is w-a-a-a-y premature, but I can't help thinking about it. Does anyone have any insight as to what Geno plans for next year's starting lineup?

I have heard him tout Azura as possibly the best player in the country, so it's hard to imagine her coming off the bench. And the only starting senior is our point guard. Is he going to shift each other player a position? Ie, make KLS the point guard, Kia the SG...etc? Can Katie even run the point? I know just about everyone on the team is a good passer, but how about ball handling and setting up and running the offense? If he starts Crystal at the point, which would seem logical, either he takes Azura off the bench, or kicks one of the other starters out of the starting lineup, which seems incomprehensible to me.

Out here in WV I don't get the Geno show that you get up there (if you still get them - I haven't even been back to Conn. since 2014). Has anyone on the coaching staff talked about this? Of course, it wouldn't be real politic to talk about moving someone to the bench in the middle of the tournament.

With Azura and Camera and Walker coming in, it certainly will be a nice problem to have. As long as he can keep everyone happy about playing time, that is.

I doubt Geno is thinking of STARTERS for next year yet. His starters will depend practices, participation, talent, needs in certain positions.
With a great problem to have---October, Nov is a long way --away.

Reaction Score
No one said anything about trading her or benching her. I stand by what I said. I gave a fair critique of her game.She is a deadly shooter if she has space and time. She is not the most complete player on the team. She is adding pieces to her game. She is working on defense, dribbling, post play, driving through the lane. If you go by percentages, she is not the most clutch shooter on the team.

So..Let me get this straight. You were a basketball star in college and thus your opinion carries more weight than mine. Okay.
Why has KLS, GW, NC, KN played so many minutes. The team needs scorers, defenders and players. Geno doesn't have the luxury of sitting anyone. The scoring production drops significantly when KI, MB, NB are in the game. No one said she is horrible.
KLS is a work in progress. My original post merely stated that she has work to do on her game. I gave kudos and highlighted the areas that she is working on. It also states that any criticism of her game more or less would be attacked. This is has been true. I also stated that KLS is the most hyped.
KLS makes a drive to the basket there is extra attention and emphasis. Good heavens if she makes a steal or a block. Does she driver better than SC, KN,GW,NC or CD? Does she pass, block shots, rebound, defend better than any of them? KLS is the shooter who is adding other facets to her game. Gabby is the guardpost who is adding the midrange-three ball to her game.

There is nothing wrong with calling a tree a tree.

:)

Is she a better all around player than KML...

KLS is a good basketball player getting better. A fair critique on her skills is not diminishing what she has accomplished nor what she will accomplish.

Perhaps I mis-understoood what was being stated earlier.

When it was said that she "does well against smaller or less athletic defenders." I thought it implied that she could not do these things against athletic defenders. IMO, this is not the case as more often or not the "lock down" defender is on her.

and it was said that "There are some stating that she is a good ball handler." IMO, this is not true. I think she is one of the better ball handlers for a shooting guard or small forward.

There is nothing wrong with calling a tree a tree, just don't call it a dandelion.

Reaction Score
I mean I am all for open debate and conversation, that's great!

But I just don't think there is any rational thought process on this that doesn't end with:

C Stevens
F Collier
G/F Samuelson
G/F Williams
G Nurse

Three are returning first team AAs: Williams, Samuelson, Collier
One was a starter with KML, Stewie, MoJeff, and Tuck, is the starting PG for a national team, and is our best perimeter defender: Nurse
One may be the preseason favorite for NPOY: Stevens

I mean...come on folks.

And again, Geno will try so many different combos that include Dangerfield, Walker, Coombs, Camara, and Gordon in them with the other five, that I wouldn't even worry too too much about who is starting, but rather who is our best in-game 5 based on the opponent.

I trust Geno....

Reaction Score
Dangerfield came to uconn to be mojos replacement there's no way she isn't starting next year. As i said earlier in this thread geno will have the lineup set by the time they get back from Italy in August.

There is no way Dangerfield starts next year unless injury or spot starts. The "name" and "mojo" of Dangerfield mean nothing to Auriemma.

Reaction Score
Gabby came in as a guard, Geno saw much more in her. I'm betting he still sees the flexibility, intelligence and athleticism that allows her to excel anywhere on the floor.

She will also be our shortest starter, at the point, so let the other teams match her up with a big defender, creating bigger mismatches elsewhere, and taking them away from their norm, which will make them uncomfortable. I look forward to watching Gabby hdrive around, through, or over them before they get set. And I believe with her pin point passing she will find a way to deliver the ball to the wings as well as the posts, along the way.

About zones, From what I've seen we've got lots of zone busters, we move the ball quickly and we drive and kick very well. The zone may not be our opponents comfort zone and when it's shredded they may come unglued: advantage us.

Another reason I see Gabby at the point is that Geno likes to put his best five on the floor, then figure out how the roles will work. Stevens is one of his best five, Dangerfield isn't, not yet.

I also think that Geno prepares his players for the next level, especially those he holds in the high esteem. He holds Gabby in the highest esteem, so it's time to move her out of the post into a position she can thrive in as a post grad.

I expect Geno to be thinking outside the box, where he does his best work...he may do something we will never dream up, and I'm sure it will work.

I don't agree overall. Gabby was pushed to the forward spot in which she is excelling now because she lacked the ability to shoot the ball consistently and has an obscene strength to offensive rebound. To take away her ability to offensive by sticking her outside in a zone is not helpful to Gabby or the team.

As far as her being the shortest player, imo not relevant. Heck, Charles Barkley was actually 6-5 1/2. If he were to play with Magic Johnson would that mean one would want Magic to be in the post while Barkley outside because Magic is taller? Even if UCONN loses next game or two, haven't we put the "height" justification to rest as being irrelevant? We have been the best team in America with 5'11 and 6'1.
Secondly players like Kia and Lou are taller than Gabby yet Gabby is a far superior player inside. Why take away the superiority Gabby has and put players who are tremendous shooters inside where the are less effective? Overall height will usually lose out over fundamentals. Not all the time ofc. But this year and what the Golden State Warriors have shown - height isn't the "be-all." Remember how many people were saying how much "Nat" was needed this year and that she should start. She definitely was needed this year and UCONN is not number 1 without her and maybe if she played sub-par we would have had 2-3 losses and not been the overall 1 seed. Nat has been huge this year vs certain teams but not the need that many claimed she needed to be - in order to be as good as what UCONN has been. I really do believe we'll need her though.

As far as zone defense/ zone offense- imo you attack the zone with fundamentals. And the more fundamentals each player has - you make it harder for the opposing team to defend you. A basic offensive fundamental for all players is "the triple threat." That is when you face the basket you can pass, shoot, dribble. Because Gabby is not a three point shooter and range is suspect, by only focusing on "she can make pinpoint passes" minimizes her impact because she no longer si a triple threat. IMO there is no way Geno is going to go away from certain fundamentals to start a game if he doesn't have to. If she isn't much of a shooter and you have to rely on Gabby ot be a pinpoint passer from the outside while she already is a tremendous passer and terrific scorer on the inside, you have effectively taken a strength of her scoring away from the game along with her offensive rebounding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom