Next Year's Roster | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Next Year's Roster

Reaction Score
Also Geno after 4 final four losses in a row (semi) will not sit the better player just because they are SR’s. He will play the best players. Those seniors haven’t earned anything yet. You could say some of them disappeared in the big games. If Azzi is a once in 10 year player who shoots the basketball she will be in there no matter what. With Paige I see her as a 20pt a game freshman.

Reaction Score
Geno will not sit seniors for freshmen, no matter how talented.
If they're not performing on the court, he will not start them. He has always started that you have to earn your minutes. I remember Geno benching Tina Charles at the beginning of the Final Four game against Stanford. I was there in Tampa.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Knowing where to go and what to do is the most important thing I believe in the coaches eyes. So those who develop the fastest will see playtime. Our starters from this year will most likely start next season Hey guys we've got more talent then some conferences. We are loaded loaded. Its gonna be hard to sit anyone. I will say it again. Azzi didnt come here to sit and with that said Caroline needs minutes and we have to get her going. As far as the Bigs go. Paith needs to get ready as does Amari because Liv is in her last season. Amari is a back to the basket player. She'll get you 10/8 or 12/10. Shes solid. Piath is big and needs to be developed. This off season is big for her and for UConn. I think Griffin and Mir are athletic and are really good rebounders but theyre gonna have to hit some outside shots. Saylor and Ducharme (pronounced DO charm) are tall, can handle the ball have good moves and can shoot from deep. Caroline won the three point contest. Azzi is said to be as good if not better then Paige. If that holds true she will start next season. BTW she can play the point too. UConns future is really bright. No holes in next years roster. Playtime will be tuff and completeness is gonna be really strong. Everybody wants to play and we've got great starters and a great bench and a great bench after the bench. I cant wait for the show to begin.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I didn't want to leave her out...I am hoping that next season and beyond that she becomes our next Kyla...our cheerleader and teammate coach on the bench.
Fooled me. I kinda thought you were being sarcastic. Or was it tongue-in-cheek?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Maybe so, but charge/block is always going to be tough to judge. And my larger point, that she is not an automatic starter next year, still holds true.
It was clearly not a block. It was text book defensive position. May I make a suggestion? Google the UConn women's basketball media guide and inspect the list of all-time best single-season scoring averages. That might give you the perspective you seek.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Fooled me. I kinda thought you were being sarcastic. Or was it tongue-in-cheek?
I hope you read the posts that I was replying to. The original post was someone's opinion on how next year's lineup, starters, bench, etc. was going to shake out. The poster left out 3 players and I questioned them about the 3 players. One of them was Autumn and another poster questioned my inclusion of Autumn as someone deserving to be included (my impression of the comment). I was replying to that post. My post was what I hoped we could see Autumn doing on the sidelines, much like Kyla did, especially during her Senior year.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I hope you read the posts that I was replying to. The original post was someone's opinion on how next year's lineup, starters, bench, etc. was going to shake out. The poster left out 3 players and I questioned them about the 3 players. One of them was Autumn and another poster questioned my inclusion of Autumn as someone deserving to be included (my impression of the comment). I was replying to that post. My post was what I hoped we could see Autumn doing on the sidelines, much like Kyla did, especially during her Senior year.
My post was to support you and what you said. I've read this entire thread. I thought you were bringing light to all the posts having to do with minutes by bringing Autumn into the conversation. Did I misinterpret?

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
My post was to support you and what you said. I've read this entire thread. I thought you were bringing light to all the posts having to do with minutes by bringing Autumn into the conversation. Did I misinterpret?
No, you're spot on.

Reaction Score
Tough to guard? For who?

She just finished her junior year, averaging 16.3 ppg, on 47.9% shooting, in the regular season. By contrast, Bueckers averaged 19.8 ppg, on 53.6% shooting (and 47.6% on 3-point shooting!).

She was not named to the post-season first, second, or third All-American teams selected by the Associated Press or Basketball Writers Association, nor was she among the 10 players selected by the Women Coaches Basketball Association.

So, respectfully, to you and others here, feel free to “love” her, but stop kidding yourself; by all objective criteria, Williams is NOT among the elite NCAA players!
Say what you wish, there are very few teams in college basketball who would not love to have her! While she may not be “elite” she is a solid player and one who is continuing to improve. As Will Rogers once said, “We can’t all be heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and applaud when they go by.”

Reaction Score
It was clearly not a block. It was text book defensive position. May I make a suggestion? Google the UConn women's basketball media guide and inspect the list of all-time best single-season scoring averages. That might give you the perspective you seek.
Thank you, Gus, that was an excellent suggestion. Inserting Williams’ 16.3 ppg and Bueckers’ 21 ppg would put Williams at #8.

So, again, at this point, should she be regarded as an “automatic” starter next year? To me, it’s as if she‘s a career “second banana,” first behind Megan Walker and now Bueckers.

If she’s deemed an automatic starter, does this give UConn a better shot at a title? Would the Beatles have become “the Beatles!” if they hadn’t replaced Pete Best with Ringo?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Thank you, Gus, that was an excellent suggestion. Inserting Williams’ 16.3 ppg and Bueckers’ 21 ppg would put Williams at #8.

So, again, at this point, should she be regarded as an “automatic” starter next year? To me, it’s as if she‘s a career “second banana,” first behind Megan Walker and now Bueckers.

If she’s deemed an automatic starter, does this give UConn a better shot at a title? Would the Beatles have become “the Beatles!” if they hadn’t replaced Pete Best with Ringo?
I say no because Ringo's drumming was unique, every Beatles song had a different drum beat to it. Many drummers basically had the same type rhythm and beat to many of their songs. Here is an explanation by Sina of Ringo's style and uniqueness when it came to drumming.

Reaction Score

Save this for 11 months from now. Then you can admit you're wrong when CW is starting. And I will do the same if she isn't (for non-injury reasons). But I wont be.

Reaction Score
If they're not performing on the court, he will not start them. He has always started that you have to earn your minutes. I remember Geno benching Tina Charles at the beginning of the Final Four game against Stanford. I was there in Tampa.
He has always stated. My mistake.

Reaction Score
Unless they improve at least 20%, I say Liv and Christyn better get ready to come off the bench. In three years, they’ve plainly demonstrated they’re not “ready for prime time” players.

The starters will be Paige, Nika, Aaliyah, Azzi, and Aubrey/Mir/Caroline/Evina.
i think its safe to say Williams will be a starter next year. I think its Liv who is in trouble ,its clear that she is not ready for this level of basketball.

Reaction Score
Interesting article looking to next year ...
“That said, expect the Huskies to peruse the transfer market, particularly for help in the frontcourt.”
https://www.ctpost.com/sports/artic..._source=post original url&utm_medium=referral

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Christyn had the most points in the Final Four game. Not her fault she was disqualified on a phantom foul.
Kind of agree. Down by 5, I'd sure like to have had Christyn there. Of course, I'd like it more it she shot better than 69% from the line last year.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Maybe so, but charge/block is always going to be tough to judge. And my larger point, that she is not an automatic starter next year, still holds true.
Flat out think you are wrong. Unless she is hurt, having an out of body experience or on a flying saucer going to Pluto she will be on the floor starting next season. She may have a shorter leash next year with what looks like a boat load of talent to replace her if she falters. I know you have the minority view on this and look forward to seeing who is correct. Until then what we have are opinions, I like mine, yours not so much.

Reaction Score
Christyn is a better player overall than Nika in my opinion, but Nika might be a better fit, and Azzi is probably a much better shooter than Christyn which might make her a better fit as well.

So I'm not sure it would be the best lineup but certainly think it could be if you substitute Aaliyah for Christyn. So if you hear me out, this is why I think that lineup might be exceptional. It gives you at least two very good options for many skills. Two great passers (Nika and Paige), two great long range shooters (Paige and Azzi), two low post scoring options (Aaliyah and Liv at least against weaker opposition) and two players that can create their own shot (Paige and Azzi), two good rebounders (Liv and Aaliyah) and a defender at the point of attack (Nika) and a protector of the rim (Liv).
I like it!

Reaction Score
Paige, Williams, Aaliyah, Liv, and then another guard (Azzi, Nika, Ducharme). Nika is okay, but she doesn't give enough to start- weakest offensive player of the group, not quick enough on defense for the elite guards UConn of the the top teams (that is my opinion anyway). Maybe Geno will swap this 5th spot between the three. I'd also love to see one of the other bigs in the game for Liv for 5-10 minutes a time, just to give them experience, and we might find more offense with them too once they get their feet wet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom