Next Year's Roster | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Next Year's Roster

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Let me just say that next year there simply isn't enough basketballs to go around. If we go with a traditional 1-5 classification and we all know that Geno doesn't really like to do that...he likes players playing multiple positions. He does have players who can play multiple position but that would only muddy the substitution patterns even more. So, what will Geno do...probably something completely different than all us prognosticators are speculating here. But, really what to do with all this talent. I think we have to consider approaching it from a 1-5 traditional position strategy.

5: Olivia Nelson-Odoto; Amari DeBerry, Paith Gabriel
4: Aaliyah Edwards, Aubrey Griffin, Mir McLean
3. Evina Westbrook, Anne Mukurat, Saylor Poffenbarger
2. Chistyn Williams, Azzi Fudd, Caroline Ducharme,
1. Paige Bueckers, Nika Muhl, Autumn Chaisson

The first thing that changes is Paige, Christyn, Evina do not get 30 plus minutes per game. They will be looking at 25 to 28 minutes per game...sort of like what TASS got when they played.

At the 5...Unless Olivia Nelson-Ododa does some serious soul searching over the summer she will be splitting time with Amari DeBerry and Paith will be gobbling up the scraps when UConn has put the game out of reach.

At the 4...it is Aaliyah Edwards to lose...she proved herself this past season as a strong body, who can catch and finish around the basket. Her improvement over the summer will only help to cement her in as the starter at that position. She will get 20 to 25 minutes...depending on the score. Aubrey Griffin and Mir McLean will split the time remaining...about 1-10 minutes each.

At the 3...I was actually surprised that Evina decided to stay. I thought she would have declared for the draft. Here decision to stay does help to create a log-jam at the three with 3 very capable, talented players all capable of starting. Evina will want to establish her value for the next level...but she will have to do it with 20 (blowouts) to 25 (close games) minutes per game. Anna Mukurat is a smart, talented player who, when she is in shape can be counted on to start...I see her getting 10 (close games) -12 (blowouts) minutes and Poffenbarger getting 5 (close games) - 8 (blow-outs) minutes.

At the 2...talk about a log jam...here are three players who would start for any team. Of course Christyn Williams will get the start...she will play about 20 -25 minutes. Azzi and Ducharme will electrify crowds with about 10 minutes of play each. The problem will come when Geno realizes that he cannot keep Azzi off the floor. Somebody from the starting five will have to give up minutes....my guess is it will be Westbrook. This will put Paige and Azzi on the floor at the same time...and that is when the magic will happen. Meanwhile Ducharme will make the best of her time on the floor as well...she will prove to be the hidden gem in this incoming class.

At the 1...Well we know that Paige will get the start..she will not be playing 35 minutes per game except in close games of magnitude. She will pout but she will have to live with about 25 minutes per game. Nika will get the other 12-13 minutes and Autumn will get the 2 minutes of garbage time during blow-outs.

Geno is going to have some difficult decisions...to make...his difficulty unfortunately, may cause of couple of players to consider the transfer portal the following year...as they pursue the desire to play more minutes.

Maybe Geno goes to a wholesale style of substituting next season? He creates 3 teams and rotates them every 5 minutes....so everyone gets playing time. I have seen teams do this in the past but admittedly not Geno's style...but, he is going to find himself in a position where he need to get the players on the floor or run the risk of losing some to the transfer portal. It is going to be interesting to see what he will do...I don't see him shortening his rotation to 7-8 players as he has done in the past.

Finally, Geno likes to keep the score from running up...but how do you keep this team under 100 per game?

Reaction Score
Azzi will be starting just like Paige did. I’m not saying who won’t be just that you can count on the #1 player in the country starting. She is not coming here to sit on the bench.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
No transfer speculation. None.

Let each player decide on their own, after speaking with people they trust. Any player who considers the boneyard part of their trusted inner circle, needs to find a better inner circle to trust.

No transfer speculation. None.

Reaction Score
Let me just say that next year there simply isn't enough basketballs to go around. If we go with a traditional 1-5 classification and we all know that Geno doesn't really like to do that...he likes players playing multiple positions. He does have players who can play multiple position but that would only muddy the substitution patterns even more. So, what will Geno do...probably something completely different than all us prognosticators are speculating here. But, really what to do with all this talent. I think we have to consider approaching it from a 1-5 traditional position strategy.

5: Olivia Nelson-Odoto; Amari DeBerry, Paith Gabriel
4: Aaliyah Edwards, Aubrey Griffin, Mir McLean
3. Evina Westbrook, Anne Mukurat, Saylor Poffenbarger
2. Chistyn Williams, Azzi Fudd, Caroline Ducharme,
1. Paige Bueckers, Nika Muhl, Autumn Chaisson

The first thing that changes is Paige, Christyn, Evina do not get 30 plus minutes per game. They will be looking at 25 to 28 minutes per game...sort of like what TASS got when they played.

At the 5...Unless Olivia Nelson-Ododa does some serious soul searching over the summer she will be splitting time with Amari DeBerry and Paith will be gobbling up the scraps when UConn has put the game out of reach.
Ding-ding-ding, we have a winner, folks! After the disappointing results of the last 3 years, next year’s starting lineup cannot afford both Williams and ONO. Move on, minimize the seniors’ PT, and give minutes to the underclass players. It may seem cold, but this is how you need to coach at the top levels of D-1.

Reaction Score
Unless they improve at least 20%, I say Liv and Christyn better get ready to come off the bench. In three years, they’ve plainly demonstrated they’re not “ready for prime time” players.

The starters will be Paige, Nika, Aaliyah, Azzi, and Aubrey/Mir/Caroline/Evina.
Christyn had the most points in the Final Four game. Not her fault she was disqualified on a phantom foul.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
In hockey speak, we'll have 3 solid lines, nearly interchangeable. Don't sleep on Amari and Caroline Ducharme. Also, Piath runs the floor very well. She's a big body, with decent low post moves. A true 5.
I'd been mulling a post saying don't sleep on Piath. Glad you did. She could profit from the free year if it comes to that. But I'm expecting her to be a player to contend with this time two years from now.

Reaction Score
This year UConn's problem is depth. After Anna and Nika were hurt the only benches can play are AE and Aubrey. Geno needs to develop the non-starters having them more time to play and more confident to play.

I see Mia, Piath and Saylor all have talent and height but they seem very scary or not aggressive enough to enter the court. Look at Stanford they can have 11 players to play in the NC game. While vs. Azorina we have 8 players but ONO + Anna + Nika + Aubrey four of them only score 3 pts.

This coming year we have 3 more talent freshmen join the team. I expect the benches should be much more better.

Reaction Score
Christyn had the most points in the Final Four game. Not her fault she was disqualified on a phantom foul.
Yes, she was the high scorer against Arizona, and it wasn’t her fault she fouled out. Wasn’t it her fault, though, that she was called for 4 legitimate fouls before then? More importantly, I don’t support her continuing prominence because after 3 years she’s demonstrated her ceiling: 16 points per game overall and general inconsistency. Maybe others, e.g., Azzi Fudd, will struggle, but at least, as a freshman, her “future” is still ahead of her.

Reaction Score
Unless they improve at least 20%, I say Liv and Christyn better get ready to come off the bench. In three years, they’ve plainly demonstrated they’re not “ready for prime time” players.

Liv and Christyn will be starters, especially Christyn as she is so tough to guard. Along with Paige, Aaliyah, and Evina. Major minutes and or some starts for Nika, Azzi, Aubrey as we get to midseason. Saylor, Amari and Caroline, will see increasing minutes into midsession and will be valuable coming off the bench when someone is in foul trouble. The big question mark is Anna with her health issues, if she comes back 100% someone needs to make room for her in the rotation. I’m not selling Mir short either, she will be fighting for minutes as well. Practice will sort things out fairly quickly IMHO, and Geno will have a rotation in mind before December. Having players of a caliber like Caroline and Amari coming off the bench will be a luxury Geno and Chris have not had in a while.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am really excited about next years Roster

Uconn WILL win the championship
And 2025

remember this post.

Hopeful starters
Liv
Evina
Squeaks
Paige
Fudd

bench
Deberry
Edwards
Griffin
Ducharme (Caroline Ducharme)
Nika Muhl

then Mir & Anna

I feel like if coach runs this set
One or 2 starters should have a triple double every night
(Liv, E or Paige)

then the second set is so good defensively
Aubrey, nika & Edwards..
We all saw Caroline Ducharme beat Fudd in the 3 point shootout and Aubrey will be turning defense into offense
Meanwhile Nika is dishing it to Caroline for 3’s and Edwards downlow.

I really think Uconn will be unstoppable!
#GOHUSKIES! #BLEEDBLUE????

Reaction Score
The competition for quality players has seemed to come down to UConn, South Carolina, Stanford, Baylor, and Maryland. Texas has started to get some with its change in coaching. Tenn hasn't gotten many highly recruited players. This will create parity in the top teams and a continued log jam of players at certain teams. We are at that point right now. Most if not all of our players could start at other colleges but have chosen to come to UConn to learn and improve and hope to gain a starting position. Those that put in the work and dedicate themselves to get better will end up with the most minutes. We have seen players come to UConn and improve dramatically over their 4 years. Who will improve the most over the summer. Liv, Nika, Aubrey, Caroline, Saylor, Azzi, Paige, Anna, Evina, Aaliyah, Christyn, Mir, Paith, Amari. Who wants it more? That's who will start.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I am really excited about next years Roster

Uconn WILL win the championship
And 2025

remember this post.

Hopeful starters
Liv
Evina
Squeaks
Paige
Fudd

bench
Deberry
Edwards
Griffin
Ducharme (Caroline Ducharme)
Nika Muhl

then Mir & Anna

I feel like if coach runs this set
One or 2 starters should have a triple double every night
(Liv, E or Paige)

then the second set is so good defensively
Aubrey, nika & Edwards..
We all saw Caroline Ducharme beat Fudd in the 3 point shootout and Aubrey will be turning defense into offense
Meanwhile Nika is dishing it to Caroline for 3’s and Edwards downlow.

I really think Uconn will be unstoppable!
#GOHUSKIES! #BLEEDBLUE????
And don't forget Saylor, Piath or Autumn. If they make a good sophomore jump, there will be quite the battle for minutes and situational substitutions.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Oh stop. Autumn is not battling for minutes.
I didn't want to leave her out...I am hoping that next season and beyond that she becomes our next Kyla...our cheerleader and teammate coach on the bench.

Reaction Score

I highly doubt Geno leaves Liv or Christyn off the list of starters.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt Geno leaves Liv or Christyn off the list of starters.
I don’t see how you can leave AE out of the starting lineup. I believe the seniors will certainly start, but we won’t have our best players all on the floor at the beginning of the game, at least until Aveni mix and matches to begin the season. I think the 3 best talents are Paige, Aliyah, Azzi (I know, we shall see). Then you only have 2 spots for Nika, CW, Evina, ONO and any freshmen that show they deserve it. A luxury of legit looking options, but hard to manipulate and certainly to prognosticate.

Reaction Score
Just forget their talents,
If i were Coach, my BIAS for
Small Starter : NM PB Evina AE
Big Starter : PB Evina AE Ono
I will let CW play 6th man and as a scorer

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Yes, she was the high scorer against Arizona, and it wasn’t her fault she fouled out. Wasn’t it her fault, though, that she was called for 4 legitimate fouls before then? More importantly, I don’t support her continuing prominence because after 3 years she’s demonstrated her ceiling: 16 points per game overall and general inconsistency. Maybe others, e.g., Azzi Fudd, will struggle, but at least, as a freshman, her “future” is still ahead of her.
Actually she was called for 3 legitimate fouls, here second one was also bogus where they called a block on her and it was a charge. I believe that even Ryan and Rebecca said it was the wrong call.

Reaction Score
The competition for quality players has seemed to come down to UConn, South Carolina, Stanford, Baylor, and Maryland. Texas has started to get some with its change in coaching. Tenn hasn't gotten many highly recruited players. This will create parity in the top teams and a continued log jam of players at certain teams. We are at that point right now. Most if not all of our players could start at other colleges but have chosen to come to UConn to learn and improve and hope to gain a starting position. Those that put in the work and dedicate themselves to get better will end up with the most minutes. We have seen players come to UConn and improve dramatically over their 4 years. Who will improve the most over the summer. Liv, Nika, Aubrey, Caroline, Saylor, Azzi, Paige, Anna, Evina, Aaliyah, Christyn, Mir, Paith, Amari. Who wants it more? That's who will start.
I’d throw North Carolina, Louisville, Oregon and Oregon State in there as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom