Next Year's Roster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next Year's Roster

Reaction Score
I would like to point out that eight different players started this year, for various reasons, injuries being the most predominant. So, I highly doubt it will be the same starting lineup for all of next year. More important, who will play the most minutes.

BTW, Tara played 11 players for most of the tournament, 10 against South Carolina. So it is possible to play most of your players.
From that perspective if Evina returns, even if no freshmen starts, Uconn will have three players who were starters on the bench. If Azzi breaks thru that would be four. So it is kind of hard to say you can't bench a starter that returns. Anna lost her starting role to injury, and then Nika the same thing, and then Aaliyah starts in the final game when both of the other players were available. They all could make the claim they were the 5th starter, and Azzi might expect that too. The only thing we can be completely sure of is several players will be very disappointed in their playing time.

Reaction Score
Unless they improve at least 20%, I say Liv and Christyn better get ready to come off the bench. In three years, they’ve plainly demonstrated they’re not “ready for prime time” players.

The starters will be Paige, Nika, Aaliyah, Azzi, and Aubrey/Mir/Caroline/Evina.
uhhhhhhh..............no..........

Reaction Score
Amishboy, want final NCAA Tournament did you watch. Christyn scored 20 points last night. She basically was the only player to show up. She had a fantastic tournament. Besides Paige and her, the other starters need to improve over the summer, or they will be coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
If Azzi is a consistent outside shooter with a lethal pull up jumper , it should allowed Paige to play her natural position at point guard. The two sharing the back court will take some scoring and playmaking pressure off Paige. If Azzi is a decent or above average defender, I think she will take over for Nika.

Reaction Score
I don't see Azzi starting no matter what happens. Geno is not in a position where he desperately needs to fill out a lineup. Every one of his starters is back next season (as far as we know), so why would you swap out any part of it for players with no experience? And if you do want to swap someone out, Edwards is going to be the replacement player as someone who has a year of experience under her belt and will be making the sophomore leap. Geno has the luxury of building a deep bench and bringing along newcomers slowly.
Did you miss the Arizona game?

Reaction Score
If Azzi is a consistent outside shooter with a lethal pull up jumper , it should allowed Paige to play her natural position at point guard. The two sharing the back court will take some scoring and playmaking pressure off Paige. If Azzi is a decent or above average defender, I think she will take over for Nika.
Won’t know ‘till fall?

Reaction Score
Ono, Edwards, Paige, Azzi, and Williams to start- great offense & defense. Pick up lightning quick guard off transfer market too while you are at it. Mandatory offensive improvement homework for Ono (free throws, bunnies) and Aubrey ( footwork around basket, mid-range jumper) and we’ll be back in the winner’s circle. Make sure Ducharme gets some minutes & Deberry too.

Reaction Score
If Azzi's defense is above average she will start. Another consistent outside shooter will open things up for CWill for drives and the post players (hoping that ONO and AE further develop). Nika may be a better defender, but I'd take this tradeoff. As for off the bench I need to see more of them play next season, but I would think Anna, Nika, and AG are the next 3.

Reaction Score
I’d guess Paige, CW, EW, AE and ONO start. Uconn looked good when they had size on the floor. IMO Geno started Nika as much because of her defense as the ability it gave him to bring an impact player, AE, off of the bench.

Now that he has Azzi, she will be the spark off of the bench. NM will play backup point guard for Paige. Aubrey, Anna, and possibly Amari will round out the rotation.

I’d personally love to see a lineup of PB, , CW, EW, and AE. Those to me will be our most polished offensive players.

Reaction Score
Unless they improve at least 20%, I say Liv and Christyn better get ready to come off the bench. In three years, they’ve plainly demonstrated they’re not “ready for prime time” players.

The starters will be Paige, Nika, Aaliyah, Azzi, and Aubrey/Mir/Caroline/Evina.

Lighten up, already. Only on this board would a loss in the final four be considered a disappointment.

Reaction Score
As early this season many here seem to discount what Nika brings to this team. It was no coincidence that both the team defensive intensity and offensive flow gelled when Nika became a regular starter. Several times Geno has said as much and shown it by keeping her in the lineup. Going into the tournament the team was playing it's best team ball, having built steadily as a cohesive unit with great communication and movement since the Arkansas loss.

Many have pointed out that Paige should be the point guard going forward. I don't argue that having her play with the ball in her hands a good amount of the time isn't an advantage for our squad but I don't believe that equates to her needing to run the point. I think her strength in coming around a screen or moving to a open spot and getting a quick feed for a quality shot are equally as significant. I would argue that Geno wants her to do both. With Azzi coming in we fill a need of another deadeye three point threat. Depending on matchups, because we will also have great options at 4 and 5, I think Nika at the point with Paige, Crstyn and Azzi would present a tough matchup for opponents, having to guard against both quick high percentage threes and equally as efficient slashes and pull-ups.

Nika came into this past season having only been playing basketball for about 4-5 years, understanding that she needed to improve her shooting and most importantly with a hunger to grow and a desire to do that as a Husky. She adjusted from being foul prone early on to being a tenacious disruptive defender. She challenged herself offensively to become a threat from outside and to take the ball into the paint. I would guess she knows she needs to continue to step her offensive game up and I have no doubt that that is exactly what she will focus on between now and the next time we see her in a Husky uniform. Nika is still becoming the player she will eventually be, with a great many strengths already and a very high ceiling. I think Geno sees and believes this as well and doesn't expect to see her sitting on the bench next season waiting to be called upon to play mop up minutes.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
As early this season many here seem to discount what Nika brings to this team. It was no coincidence that both the team defensive intensity and offensive flow gelled when Nika became a regular starter. Several times Geno has said as much and shown it by keeping her in the lineup. Going into the tournament the team was playing it's best team ball, having built steadily as a cohesive unit with great communication and movement since the Arkansas loss.

Many have pointed out that Paige should be the point guard going forward. I don't argue that having her play with the ball in her hands a good amount of the time isn't an advantage for our squad but I don't believe that equates to her needing to run the point. I think her strength in coming around a screen or moving to a open spot and getting a quick feed for a quality shot are equally as significant. I would argue that Geno wants her to do both. With Azzi coming in we fill a need of another deadeye three point threat. Depending on matchups, because we will also have great options at 4 and 5, I think Nika at the point with Paige, Crstyn and Azzi would present a tough matchup for opponents, having to guard against both quick high percentage threes and equally as efficient slashes and pull-ups.

Nika came into this past season having only been playing basketball for about 4-5 years, understanding that she needed to improve her shooting and most importantly with a hunger to grow and a desire to do that as a Husky. She adjusted from being foul prone early on to being a tenacious disruptive defender. She challenged herself offensively to become a threat from outside and to take the ball into the paint. I would guess she knows she needs to continue to step her offensive game up and I have no doubt that that is exactly what she will focus on between now and the next time we see her in a Husky uniform. Nika is still becoming the player she will eventually be, with a great many strengths already and a very high ceiling. I think Geno sees and believes this as well and doesn't expect to see her sitting on the bench next season waiting to be called upon to play mop up minutes.
you're absolutely right on. BYers don't appreciate nika's key contribution, i guess, because they never seem to mention it: her intensity, focus, and great dynamism. they are vital to this team. it is the spark it needs to get its abundance of talent running in sync. Because of this alone, she is integral to the team's success.

Reaction Score
Evina Paige Ono Christin Nika start.

Then Edwards and Fudd come off the bench in dual 6th person roles. How does any other team deal with that?

this team also has a very good passer in Makarut that should be worked back into the rotation.
There should be more minutes next year assuming a month of basketball isn’t cancelled due to Covid for young players to audition for roles.
Coaches have got to make a bigger commitment to giving players more playing time in blow out wins to ready them for significant roles in sweet 16 and beyond due to foul trouble, injuries or off shooting nights.

Reaction Score
In hockey speak, we'll have 3 solid lines, nearly interchangeable. Don't sleep on Amari and Caroline Ducharme. Also, Piath runs the floor very well. She's a big body, with decent low post moves. A true 5.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Lets think for a minute and dream and think how good UConn could be next season. Piath aquires the skills Geno is looking for and can play the post along with Olivia and Amari. Thats 3 6'5 kids with skills. If that happens we dont have much to worry about when it comes to foul trouble. Next we have Edwards another big body with skills. Now we bring in the ariel attack by adding Caroline and a sharp shooter in Azzi Fudd. Add Saylor another great shooter and yeah UConn is loaded. Be patient because all these freshman need to be developed and need to learn to play Geno College BB. We're gonna be really good and so are alot of other teams.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I have no idea who is going to start or how the minutes will be distributed...and neither does anyone else...other than Paige (of course)...The new personnel may very well dictate a change of style of play...which make the question of minutes distribution even more problematic.

What we do know is this: amishboy's knock on Christyn is ridiculous. She was our most consistent threat all tourney.

Not so ridiculous re: Ono...She had a disappointing final game...If she had delivered her average effort, we might have prevailed...but no coach judges a player from one bad game, certainly Geno. But the does have height in next year's freshman class...and a competitive kid...For all positions on the team; you're going to have to win your minutes and then make good use of them.

Fudd's 3-point shooting is needed; she will play.

Surely Nika and Aalyiah will play

I predict (we'll know soon enough) that Westbrook will be back...her steadiness is required;
she hasn't been close to right, all season...a summer of rehab and strengthening may bring her back to close to her top form.

For the rest, its a crap shoot...I'm sure even the coaches have no idea both how to best make use of everyone, nor a possible distribution of minutes...I bet its going to be a subject of considerable debate (all summer)...Can you imagine practices...perhaps two top-ten teams going at one another.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
you're absolutely right on. BYers don't appreciate nika's key contribution, i guess, because they never seem to mention it: her intensity, focus, and great dynamism. they are vital to this team. it is the spark it needs to get its abundance of talent running in sync. Because of this alone, she is integral to the team's success.
True but she needs to become a scoring threat so that opponents have to defend everyone. She is capable of making 3s but if she drives to the basket she isn't a threat. This is probably why Azzi will be the on the floor during any crunch time.
I hope Nika makes a tremendous sophomore jump, much like she had after the infamous Butler game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom