next year, the replacements etc (long) | The Boneyard

next year, the replacements etc (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lets assume here that Boat and Deandre come back. I'll examine the possible replacements for the seniors we lost as well as what improvements our hold overs need make for us to return to the final four.

Lets start with Boat: I think we can agree that he definitely made a jump in his game this past year. although his numbers were down as he deferred to Shabazz, he displayed more maturity in his game overall and really came on in all facets down the stretch. Clearly the key for boat is to continue to develop his point guard skills. This will be pivitol. He will be our main ball handler next year and he needs to be the rock that Kemba and Shabazz have been for us. Besides that, two things i think Boat can improve upon are getting his shot off the dribble in the half court. I really liked his ability to drive and pull up but kemba and shabazz had an incredible ability to create separation and seemingly be unstoppable in the half court. Boat is good three point shooter when his feet are set but hasn't quite shown the ability to get it when hes guarded tightly in the half court. This is what won championships for us this year and 2014, having a player that can get his anytime and anywhere. secondly, i think boat can work on being a little more crafty with his dribble. While he's an excellent ball handler, id like to see him make quicker moves toward the basket instead of the lateral ball handling he's shown quite a bit of. Boat could also work on keeping his defenders off balance more, Khalid had that ability to keep defenders off balance with the hesitation dribble and i think that something boat could really benefit from. I remember saying to someone when Boat was a freshman, that he could be unstoppable come his senior year. I'm sticking with that claim.

Deandre: Deandre could flat out be a monster next year. I'm thinking something along the lines of what Doug McDermott did for Creighton this year except more athletic. He's shown he can shoot it from deep, post up, hit NBA style fall a ways, and drive to the basket. I think he just needs to continue to improve on all of these things. If i was to pick something in particular, it would be taking his man off the dribble and creating his own shot. Deandre wont play the 3 next year, but if he wants to have a long a successful NBA career, he's going to need to show he can do these things to play the 3 at the next level.

Omar Calhoun: lets hope Omar can come in and play defense, do some intangible things and hit open three point shots. I'm not sure what to expect out of him but if he can be a slightly better version of his freshman year self, id be very happy and that may be exactly what the team needs from him.

Terrence Samuel: Terrence came on strong at the end of the year, made some huge baskets and played solid D. Were going to need someone who can adequately handle the point next year besides boat and I think that will be Terrence. Obviously Terrence can improve on all aspects of his game, but i think the most important thing for him is going to be tightening up his handle and shooting. Even if he doesn't improve his shooting at all, if his handle improve, we know he has great passing ability and it will add a great dimension to our team. Another player who can control the game from the most important position.

Leon Tolksdorf: Not too sure what to expect of Leon. If he can come in and stretch the floor with the three and play adequate defense and get rebounds, that's the best case scenario. I'm not sure he has much of a role on this team next year unless he makes as big jump.

Kentan Facey: Defense, defense, defense. I really liked Kentan in limited time. he looked a little unsure of himself at times but i think once he gets a little more comfortable, he will be a big factor for us off the bench. Obviously with Deandre his role should be relatively limited. But in 10-15 minutes a game, if he can play defense, get rebounds and finish around the rim, that would be huge for the team. I really like Kentan and i think he has a bright future on this team.

Phil Nolan: Phil is another person that can pretty much improve upon everything. He showed some good things down the stretch, playing goof defense on Payne to be specific. But he really needs to be able to consistently play defense without fouling and play better defense overall. We also need him to be able to finish better at the rim, any other offensive improvements would be tremendous for the team.

Amida Brimah: We don't need Amida to be a big offensive threat next year, not with the other options we have on this team. If he does improve is offense that's just an added benefit. What Amida really needs to do is get stronger and improve on his defense and rebounding with out fouling. I have very high hopes for Amida and i think he will be a pro at some point. with added strength, confidence and experience I think he can make a big leap for us next year and be dominate on the defensive end.

Rodney Purvis: He's a bit of an unknown for me despite being a pretty dynamic player by all accounts. But I'm not completely sold. He's shown at NC State to be a great player in the open court but besides that I'm not so sure. He's had and will have a lot of time to improve on his game, specifically his half court offense. Our two guard positions need to be able to create for others as well as create there own offense. If he can average 12 pts a game and play solid defense i would be very happy. With the other options on this team, i don't see Rodney having an off the charts season next year, but just a good year. If he can have a similar season to boats last year, i think everyone would be happy with that.
Daniel Hamilton: I think in certain aspects, Daniel at the three should be a an improvement over Niels at the three in our offense. I really like his game and think he could eventually turn into a lottery pick. He seems to be a better ball handler and play maker than Niels. overall he should be a better offensive player than Niels, but can he offer the same defense and intangible plays? No would be my guess at this time. Can he offer the same three point shooting?. though all indications are that hes a very good shooter, he is a freshman, and you never really know until he's in a uniform. with that said, i am very high on Daniel and think he's not only going to have bright future here but will make a pretty significant impact on our team next year. All the talk from goodman and the other analyst last year were that hes a big time jacker with terrible shot selection. Prior to that, Daniel was known as a great passer and someone who blended in perfectly with a great all around game. If i remember correctly, he averaged over 5 assists and 5 boards a game his senior year so i fully expect that he will adapt his game to fit what ever the team needs next year.
Sam Cassell: Sam seems like a shot maker for us next year. Especially from 3. I think he will be relegated to a backup position but get around 15-20 minutes a a game. His three point shot seems to be his best attribute but has also shown pretty adept creating off the dribble. If he can play defense i think he can become a big time factor for us next year. Keep in mind, Sam went to Notre Dame Prep after high school, wasn't admitted to Maryland because notre dame prep was doing sketchy things if i remember correctly. he then spent two years at junior college and will now attend here. So this is a player that will be a sophomore next year but by age, should really be a senior.
Rakim Lubin: I dont think Rakim has a role on this team next year. If he averages over 2 minutes a game, id be surprised. I am intrigued by his size and strength though and if he buys into being a guy that goes out and plays with energy on defense and rebounding, maybe he does find a role.

Starters

Ryan Boatright - 16 PPG, 3 RPG, 6 APG, 30 MPG
Rodney Purvis - 10 PPG, 4 RPG, 2 APG, 25 MPG
Daniel Hamlton - 8 PPG, 4 RPG, 3 APG, 25 MPG
Deandre Daniels - 16 PPG, 7 RPG, 1 APG, 30 MPG
Amida Brimah - 7 PPG, 8 RPG, 0.5 APG, 25 MPG

Bench

Terrence Samuel - 5 PPG, 3 RPG, 3 APG, 15 MPG
Sam Cassell Jr - 6 PPG, 2 RBG, 1 APG, 15 MPG
Omar Calhoun - 4 PPG, 2 RPG, 0 APG, 10 MPG
Kentan Facey - 3 PPG, 4 RPG, 0 APG, 10 MPG
Phil Nolan - 5 PPG, 5 RPG, 0 APG, 15 MPG

Ultimately i think Calhoun could be a non factor towards the end of the season with Samuel and Cassell Jr taking on those minutes. We will see how that plays out.

Its obviously going to take some big improvements and heroic efforts to replace what Shabazz gave us, that will be the real question mark going into next year. the other question is can we replace what Niels gave us with defense and over all quality play from a senior including 3 point shots and intangible plays. other than that i think Kromah's contributions can be replaced by the combination of Purvis, Samuel, and Cassell Jr.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Offensively speaking, this year, we had four legitimate threats from 3: Boat, DD, and especially Niels and Bazz, would hurt you if you left them open outside. It opened up the front court for us a lot, and while I love Rock and hope he dominates, I imagine other teams are going to challenge us to shoot the 3 early on this season now that two of our best all-time perimeter shooters are gone. We're going to need Jr., DHam, Purvis and Omar to step up if we're looking to replace a combined 44.4% from 3 combo and make other teams fear us from outside. Let's see if Facey can stretch the floor and get a couple good shots per game with some more PT.

Defensively, we need to replace two big, highly versatile guards. We had Kromah guarding 1-3, and Niels guarding 2-4 consistently. And they did amazing jobs. I honestly have no idea how DHam's defense will be at the 3 in starter's minutes. If Rock can guard 3-5, that would be huge.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Brimah is going to blowup next year, becoming an option on offense, and a much better rebounder. I am so bullish on this kid, and have been since I first saw him last November. His athleticism and quickness is off the charts, his FT form is almost textbook, and he has a desire to learn that will put him on the fast track to success. Love this kid.

pj

Reaction Score
Wow, 79 points and 42 rebounds and 16.5 assists per game ... I don't think the team will play at a pace that permits that.

I agree Tolksdorf and Lubin don't play if Daniels returns, and only spot minutes if he doesn't. We are really dependent on Facey and Nolan at the 4 if Daniels leaves.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I would love to see Omar get back in form and start at the 3 spot but if he can't he should at least be able to fill Niels " glue guy" role.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Wow, 79 points and 42 rebounds and 16.5 assists per game ... I don't think the team will play at a pace that permits that.

I agree Tolksdorf and Lubin don't play if Daniels returns, and only spot minutes if he doesn't. We are really dependent on Facey and Nolan at the 4 if Daniels leaves.
So I take it you just want to see DD play the stretch 4 all season? He did partly out of necessity last year; Facey was raw and needed experience at the D1 level, and we didn't have Rock. The year before that, he was doing the same for 30 minutes a game because all we had for a frontcourt besides him were inexperienced and/or below-average 5s. Niels was not much of an offensive threat at all, really. Personally, I think he's a matchup nightmare either way because he can lose bigger 4s, but is bigger and longer than your average 3. I'd like to see KO try a Boat/Purvis/DD/Facey/AB lineup. Four shooters, everyone is long from 2-5.

Reaction Score
So I take it you just want to see DD play the stretch 4 all season? He did partly out of necessity last year; Facey was raw and needed experience at the D1 level, and we didn't have Rock. The year before that, he was doing the same for 30 minutes a game because all we had for a frontcourt besides him were inexperienced and/or below-average 5s. Niels was not much of an offensive threat at all, really. Personally, I think he's a matchup nightmare either way because he can lose bigger 4s, but is bigger and longer than your average 3. I'd like to see KO try a Boat/Purvis/DD/Facey/AB lineup. Four shooters, everyone is long from 2-5.
4 shooters? Are you counting Facey as a shooter? I know he made one or two 3s next year but I think at this stage classifying him as a shooter is a bit of a stretch. I think he's more of a hustle/rebound guy whose biggest contributions won't include scoring.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Starters

Ryan Boatright - 16 PPG, 3 RPG, 6 APG, 30 MPG
Rodney Purvis - 10 PPG, 4 RPG, 2 APG, 25 MPG
Daniel Hamlton - 8 PPG, 4 RPG, 3 APG, 25 MPG
Deandre Daniels - 16 PPG, 7 RPG, 1 APG, 30 MPG
Amida Brimah - 7 PPG, 8 RPG, 0.5 APG, 25 MPG

Bench

Terrence Samuel - 5 PPG, 3 RPG, 3 APG, 15 MPG
Sam Cassell Jr - 6 PPG, 2 RBG, 1 APG, 15 MPG
Omar Calhoun - 4 PPG, 2 RPG, 0 APG, 10 MPG
Kentan Facey - 3 PPG, 4 RPG, 0 APG, 10 MPG
Phil Nolan - 5 PPG, 5 RPG, 0 APG, 15 MPG

80PPG, 42 RPG and 16.5 APG seems a bit optimistic.

Just to compare, this year we went:
71.8 PPG, 34.9 RPG and 12.2 APG

They are going to have to play a lot faster to reach your goals.

Reaction Score
I really want to see Nolan make a big jump in his game. I really wasn't impressed this season even though he made some nice contributions. He's a Div 1 player on an elite team who will be a junior next year. If he gets it together this summer then we have no deficiencies in our offense whatsoever. Brimah I have no doubt in him stepping up, I'm just more concerned with Nolan. Losing Tyler (on the court) will not hurt but he was an option, maybe Facey will develop making Nolan's improvement not as critical. But to me one of those two has to make that 'jump'.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
I'll examine the possible replacements for the seniors we lost as well as what improvements our hold overs need make for us to return to the final four.
Carlos - I don't agree with everything you wrote but at the very least thanks for sharing and putting that much work and thought into it. Shave a point and a rebound off of everyone's totals and the numbers look more realistic. But who knows what will happen? Daniel Hamilton might be a star from the get-go, Brimah might blossom offensively and get into double-figures...

Reaction Score
Lubin is my dark horse for playing time. He looks just like a kid I went to basketball camp with in high school and is about the exact same size. I can't look at Lubin's picture without getting an uneasy feeling that I am about to be hurt by him. I think the kid is going to be a menace.

On top of that, Lubin was one of Fishy's whipping boys over the last year as he lamented that we were in big trouble as a program between poor recruiting and CR. I found it disturbing that such an avid fan and Boneyard fixture was so concerned and uncharacteristically irrational. I've since discovered that all of Fishy's whining was unfounded and that despite his quick wit, he too is only human. I suspect Lubin will be yet another of KO's never ending stream of nice surprises.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nice post Carlos.

I think Lubin will have a bigger role than you. He adds physicality that would otherwise be missing. We should be pretty quick next year. If he can get up and down the floor I can see Ollie using him to change things up, or perhaps in the 'small' five role that Giffey occupied so well this year.

I think you also make the common fan mistake of assuming that the all the incoming players will make the transition to the team without any problems. That rarely happens. So while agree with you that their impact will grow by the end of the season, it is tough to say which of them will be "Samuel" and which will be "Facey" in terms of impact.

I think that Omar will make a giant jump next year and get back the player we saw flashes of his freshman year.

Purvis is the wild card. He's a talented kid but we've yet to see how he and Boat look together on the court.

Overall, I think we are positioned to be pretty good next year. I'm excited about it but I'm still enjoying the magnificent 2013-2014 season.

Reaction Score
Offensively speaking, this year, we had four legitimate threats from 3: Boat, DD, and especially Niels and Bazz, would hurt you if you left them open outside. It opened up the front court for us a lot, and while I love Rock and hope he dominates, I imagine other teams are going to challenge us to shoot the 3 early on this season now that two of our best all-time perimeter shooters are gone. We're going to need Jr., DHam, Purvis and Omar to step up if we're looking to replace a combined 44.4% from 3 combo and make other teams fear us from outside. Let's see if Facey can stretch the floor and get a couple good shots per game with some more PT.

Defensively, we need to replace two big, highly versatile guards. We had Kromah guarding 1-3, and Niels guarding 2-4 consistently. And they did amazing jobs. I honestly have no idea how DHam's defense will be at the 3 in starter's minutes. If Rock can guard 3-5, that would be huge.
If Omar gets it back and starts we will again have 3 players who can hit the 3. From what I read Purvis is not a great outside shooter and he is more of a slasher who can get to the rim and score in transition. Cassel looks to be a 3 point threat and Hamilton could be a stud. 3 pt. shooting should continue to be a strength for us. We lose Shabazz and Giffey but we should still be fine from the perimeter.
I see Samuel as the 3rd guard. The development of Brimah and Nolan will be key. Have no idea about Lubin but sometimes players like him get motivated and develop from being around motivated players.
Boatright decided he wanted to use his skills to play defense this year with great results.
As always, there will be some surprises and some disappointments.There will be some adjustments and probably some WTF losses but the future looks bright in Storrs

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Agree with everything, especially Lubin. The kid is raw and will be a project. Hopefully I'm wrong and he can provide good minutes.

Reaction Score
If everyone comes back and Omar gets back to at least his freshman form this team is going to have depth that we haven't seen in a long time.

Reaction Score
would be really surprised if Lubin plays much at all. he looks to be a solid athlete and have some muscle, but the admittedly very little I've seen of him play leaves a bit to be desired. i know it's not fair to really judge someone off of a couple of games but he's not ready to be even a minor contributor yet. hope i'm wrong.

Last edited:

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I admittedly know next to nothing about Lubin, but from what little I do know he seems to be quite a project. It's unlikely since our front court is so thin, but does anyone think he may redshirt in 14-15?

Reaction Score
Purvis has a set shot from three but he's pretty accurate. If Boat and Daniels return I expect us to be contenders next year.

Reaction Score
I've seen Lubin play a few times and although he has physical attributes, I am concerned about his attitude when the going gets tough. I really don't see him as a TEN TOES IN dude. I do see the revitalization of Omar, also Rodney is a PLAYA. I think his game with KO's influence will take off in Storrs. With DD and Boat back and a much improved Brimah and Samuel we will be an interesting team to defend

Reaction Score
I've seen Lubin play a few times and although he has physical attributes, I am concerned about his attitude when the going gets tough. I really don't see him as a TEN TOES IN dude.

You mean the dude who committed after watching the first practice of the year, where guys were nearly passing out? That dude?

Reaction Score
Same dude. I watched him several times this year including the state tourney and he seemed less a team player and more a barker at his teammates. Hope he works out. Ollie seems to coach the kids up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom