Next Year: CPTV vs SNY | The Boneyard

Next Year: CPTV vs SNY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Georgetown game gave a clue as to what might happen next year if SNY gets the contract to the women's games. The game was not in HD. As you know, CPTV has televised its games in HD this year, and I assume they will continue to do so. I vote for CPTV to continue their coverage.

Incidentally, all the men's games on SNY are in HD.

Reaction Score
The Georgetown game gave a clue as to what might happen next year if SNY gets the contract to the women's games. The game was not in HD. As you know, CPTV has televised its games in HD this year, and I assume they will continue to do so. I vote for CPTV to continue their coverage.

I wonder if the people on this board who complain after almost every game re Picozzi or Culmo will finally be happy, not me!!

Reaction Score
Fo
I wonder if the people on this board who complain after almost every game re Picozzi or Culmo will finally be happy, not me!!

For those of us who live outside Ct and get the games via hoopstreams a switch to SNY and TV will be a big improvement. We also won't miss the constant requests for contributions which are very annoying. HD vs regular TV is not an issue for me.

Reaction Score

Didn't realize we got a vote!

Reaction Score
Fo

For those of us who live outside Ct and get the games via hoopstreams a switch to SNY and TV will be a big improvement. We also won't miss the constant requests for contributions which are very annoying. HD vs regular TV is not an issue for me.
I'd rather have constant requests for contributions than constant commercials. And I like being able to replay the games on Hoopstreams without the complication of having to get DVR, which probably wouldn't work for me anyway without a hassle. Everything I touch turns to exposed wires. :p

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score

FWIW,
I don't know how many fans, like me, live outside of the SNY broadcast area, but for those who do, the move to SNY means losing all televised coverage of games aside from the few broadcast by ESPN, etc. In other words, we lose big time.

I may also represent a minority opinion about the annoyance factor posed by CPTV's fundraising spiels. I count them as a minor cost for the pleasure of seeing our team almost every game. Besides, ESPN's obnoxious self-promotion and the usual ads are at least as annoying and often more intrusive.

I'm hoping that I can continue to receive CPTV's streaming broadcasts, use an hdmi hookup from my laptop to my hdtv, and enjoy great pictures of wonderfully executed team basketball on the big screen.

Reaction Score
i live in NY so i would be able to watch it on SNY, but i would love for cptv to continue

Reaction Score
I'm one of the complainers, so I guess I can speak directly to Phil's point. Even with what I think of Picozzi and Culmo, CPTV is by far a better prospect than any commercial outfit.
1. They have a "moral obligation" to CT and its fans.
2. Having established Hoopstreams for us long-distance fans, they are less likely to cancel it, where a commercal outfit is completely unknown in that regard.
3. Commercial outfits are totally cutthroat, and will decide the fate of each game on a game-by-game basis. Anyone want to bet how often we'll see games against the weak sisters? CPTV has established a standard for televising any game they can get. And forget about games from the Caribbean. A commercial outfit would never -- repeat, never -- spring for the dough.
4. When it comes to sponsor messages and begging vs. commercials, I'll take the former. Most, not all, of those making the ask have credibility. Folks like Mary Hobart, who is a real fan as well as a CPTV worker. Unlike the boss man, when she says something, you can take it to the bank.

So as much as I might not like the style of the broadcasters on occasion -- and I think they are better this year than at any time I've heard them -- CPTV is a hands-down better choice for the average fan.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
CPTV helped make the UConn Huskies as popular as they are and has contributed significantly to the growth of women's basketball in this country by its coverage of UConn women's basketball on a public TV station. CPTV does a fine job. I'd hate to see the games go to SNY and become just another televised college basketball game. On CPTV the games are something special.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I really appreciate all CPTV has done over the years, and I would be happy for them to continue, but living mostly in FL I do get SNY on TV so TV vs Hoopstreams is no contest - Hoopstreams is OK but quality comes and goes and I get freezes quite often.
I also suspect that whoever broadcasts will have an on-line option available for a similar fee.
When I read the RFP last year, it was quite clear that the bidders had to provide comparable timing, availability, and bonus coverage to what we currently have. So whoever wins, while some people will be unhappy, I think most fans will find it a quite seamless transition

Reaction Score
For the 2 votes that we don't get to cast, Cheryl and I choose CPTV, hands down. We like to watch every game we can, CPTV likes to broadcast every game they can get, and it's kept us abreast of the team from Fort Myers. We love hoopstreams, despite it's teething pains and occasional streaming problems, and it's like a short trip back to CT every time we watch a game or the Geno show. Being able to watch at our leisure is icing on the cake.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would prefer that CPTV keep the contract over SNY. However, I would prefer all public TV do away with the fundraising campaigns and go completely commercial. Truth that CPTV does have ads now. They simply aren't the same ones as commercial TV. If the extended spots for their sponsoring hosts like BigY aren't commercials what are they. I would change the team of Bob and Mghan to Eric and Meghan to refocus the coverage onto the actual play by play and keep the other stuff in the Geno Show.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I would prefer that CPTV keep the contract over SNY. However, I would prefer all public TV do away with the fundraising campaigns and go completely commercial. Truth that CPTV does have ads now. They simply aren't the same ones as commercial TV. If the extended spots for their sponsoring hosts like BigY aren't commercials what are they. I would change the team of Bob and Mghan to Eric and Meghan to refocus the coverage onto the actual play by play and keep the other stuff in the Geno Show.
well said... and get LaChina in there once in a while

Reaction Score
I fully expect that if SNY gets the games they will play in HD as they do the men. This was a one shot deal and for some reason it was not shown in HD. I would assume they would do the same as the UConn men. If we get more of the caliber of LaChina doing the games I favor SNY. I want to watch the games and listen to good analysts not what tie Geno is wearing or the fact that Geno (he) only plays kids that perform during practice. I am hoping that President Herbst comment of trying to get more of a role in the southern part of the state gives SNY more of a role in women's basketball too. Having said that I think that Meghan did a wonderful job on the Geno show in a "homey comfortable" atmosphere. She has a great rapport with Geno and their banter is fun. Game time I want a bit more.

Reaction Score
Sentimental favorite - CPTV. I doubt that anyone else will give a similar opening echoing back to UConn's championships and to the greats who made this program what it is today. I could see a scheduled game not shown because of something "better" - contracts/agreements be damned.

Reaction Score
CPTV... I enjoy some of the other shows they have on as well, and I'm sure some of the money raised from the games spills over to those too. Let big business stay in NY and support a CT system that supported Uconn whiles others ignored it.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
My only concern is that I can watch all the Uconn games. We may have to complain to the Govenor to make sure we get all the UConn games. The last thing I want is to watch another game when UConn is playing. Losing CPTV who IMO help make UConn WCBB what it is could be a problem down the road. By losing CPTV the State of CT losing control. I do remember a couple of years ago when one of the UConn games wasnt going to be shown and Gov Rell made it happen. I dont think that would happen with a starion outside CT.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My only concern is that I can watch all the Uconn games. We may have to complain to the Govenor to make sure we get all the UConn games. The last thing I want is to watch another game when UConn is playing. Losing CPTV who IMO help make UConn WCBB what it is could be a problem down the road. By losing CPTV the State of CT losing control. I do remember a couple of years ago when one of the UConn games wasnt going to be shown and Gov Rell made it happen. I dont think that would happen with a starion outside CT.
Station, Tony not Starion. LOL

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
CPTV is a known entity. Viewers have a good idea what they will get, positive and negative: all available games, periodic Geno shows, a championship DVD when applicable, begging for money.

Public television's charter was/is to serve their local communities. Commercial entities, such as SNY, have an obligation to the profit margin of their parent company. If CPTV makes a decision that annoys fans, they work here, they live here. Feedback from fans is immediate and real to them. SNY?

I lean towards better the 'devil' that I know than the one I don't.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Fo

Agreed. I dropped Hoopstreams 2 seasons ago because the streaming quality was so poor...constant breakups/freezes.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
CPTV has done great work. But SNY would open the program up to a much, much, much, much, much larger audience, both on TV and online through ESPN3.

You may not get ESPN3. But most of the country does.

Reaction Score
I really would like for UCONN women's basketball to remain with CPTV. We would no longer be offered such great gifts (gotta love the $200 sweatshirts...lol) or even game tickets that I have purchased a few times. Don't forget about the Geno Show we all love and post game interviews. SNY seems to just broadcast the game with little talk before and after.

GO UCONN

Reaction Score
CPTV has done great work. But SNY would open the program up to a much, much, much, much, much larger audience, both on TV and online through ESPN3.

You may not get ESPN3. But most of the country does.

This can be a great tool for recruiting beyond the East coast although Geno, CD, Shea, and Marissa seem to be doing that already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom