Next time anyone wants to pick on AO... | The Boneyard

Next time anyone wants to pick on AO...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
please refer to Terrence Jones in this game and be thankful.

Reaction Score
He went to church and missed all including the last minute.

Reaction Score
I can't fathom how a guy that talented can be so lost.

And people knocking Andre are nuts too. Anthony Davis is NOT outperforming him.

Reaction Score
Cal sat him down and bitched at him and I guess he couldn't recover after that. No facial expressions at all. Pretty amazing that Cal let him keep playing with how non aggressive he was.

Reaction Score
Vitale pointed it out during the game. He literally just stood on the wing. Didnt set a pick, didnt do anything, didnt even take one step. Just stood still.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
It was embarrassing and I think NBA scouts probably took notice. Dating back to last year, the kid clearly has attitude problems and can't take a chew out from Coach Calamari.

Reaction Score
Cal sat him down and bitched at him and I guess he couldn't recover after that. No facial expressions at all. Pretty amazing that Cal let him keep playing with how non aggressive he was.
I guess we'll have to add this incident to the body of evidence supporting or refuting whether Calipari is a good coach.

Reaction Score
He seems to have grown backwards since last year. I only watched the Kansas game, but he was acting like a pretty big wanker, getting in guys faces and staring at the crowd every time he made a basket.

Reaction Score
I guess we'll have to add this incident to the body of evidence supporting or refuting whether Calipari is a good coach.

Last year around this time there were stories of Knight tuning Calipari out.

Reaction Score

Did I miss something?

Is it just possible that Davis does not respond, in a positive way, to being shown up and screamed at by his coach?

I heard somewhere that in todays world the best leaders, managers and coaches adapt as much to the people that they manage as their subordinates adapt to them.

We all know that there are players that just don't respond well to being screamed at. Especially in public and on television.

Peace,

John Fryer

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Vitale pointed it out during the game. He literally just stood on the wing. Didnt set a pick, didnt do anything, didnt even take one step. Just stood still.

Must have been pretty obvious for Vitale to go off the party line.

But back to AO, my only nit is that I was hoping his baby hook was a bit more reliable by now. But his effort and committment to the team is unquestioned. And I'll go there, I'm very happy that Jamal Coombs-McDaniel isn't part of the team anymore. The guy wasn't all in. Now his damage is limited to twitter.

Reaction Score
Did I miss something?

Is it just possible that Davis does not respond, in a positive way, to being shown up and screamed at by his coach?

I heard somewhere that in todays world the best leaders, managers and coaches adapt as much to the people that they manage as their subordinates adapt to them.

We all know that there are players that just don't respond well to being screamed at. Especially in public and on television.

Peace,

John Fryer

I'm pretty sure it's about Jones, not Davis. Calipari got caught on tv last year screaming at Jones also.

I think you make a good point.

Reaction Score
Did I miss something?

Peace,

John Fryer

John no doubt there are players who do not respond to this type of coaching and most of them go to Kemtucky because of the promises made by Calipari. Again, the stars get treatment throughout their careers and expect the same now. If you can't take it too fn bad it's life. It's a mans game not a kids once you get to these schools and if the coach calls you out take it like a man. I like coaches who work that way and wish my sons HS coach was more of that rather than being a friend. I think the reactions of the Davis's and Jones's come with the territory of the kids expected to go to the next level before they even get to the university. Some of these kids could never play for JC because they already know they're good enough not to listen to him.......bad mistake. Again, reactions from these kids are only because it is obvious they don't think Caoch Cal would ever talk to them like that!!! His fault and noone elses

caw

Reaction Score
I can't fathom how a guy that talented can be so lost.

And people knocking Andre are nuts too. Anthony Davis is NOT outperforming him.

Anthony Davis statistically is, but it's not a huge gap that some people make it out to be (UK fans).

Jones is a really talented player who could be like Pierce or Butler, but seems lost at times for UK. He seems a bit like Stanley mentally (mugging for the camera and shouting at good plays, but getting lost or disappearing for long stretches).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Anyone else see players talking back to Calipari and not in a good way? And a lot of grumbling once they sat down after being chewed out.

I think Cal tries to be friends with his players and that works out when things are going good but is a big problem when a team goes through a difficult stretch or struggles to develop. This could be an interesting year for Kentucky if there is a stretch of losses. There may be more than one player on that team that struggles to handle adversity. It will be interesting to see how the players and the coach react if that situation develops.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Re: AO...he has tremendous natural gifts and clearly he has worked hard on conditioning...
2 things I would like to see him do both of which have to do with focus/attention to detail:
1) everytime the ball goes up, find your man or the nearest big and box out THEN go get the ball...too often he turns and watches the ball and doesn't make contact with his man, then jumps a little bit too early and gets beat for the rebound. He or the team(because his box out would allow someone else to get the ball) could easily be grabbing 4 or 5 more rebounds if he just boxed consistently
2) slow the game down enough to focus on catching the ball when it is thrown to you or when it bounces off the rim in your direction...fumbling the ball away or not having control of it and throwing it at the underside of the basket or hard off the backboard makes it very hard for those feeding the post to have confidence in you. Catch the ball first!

Re: T. Jones...maybe UK is not the right place for you. Perhaps honor your original commitment and head back to UW...you would be able to play 2nd semester of next year if you leave now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom