Next Steps, Things To Keep An Eye On | The Boneyard

Next Steps, Things To Keep An Eye On

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
$22 million a year in 2014-15 is $2 million a team- for 11 teams.

The contract includes televising a conference title game. So expect them to, stupidly, go after a twelfth team.

That would drop the payout to $1.8 million per team. Add in the CBS money, that's between $165,000-250,000 more a year. Bottom line- its less money than UConn makes now from TV. By about a third. This isn't "what UConn is used to, so it isn't a big adjustment". It's less. Don't sugar coat it- this is a massive, massive problem, Nelson drama/idiocy notwithstanding.

What else it is, is way less than the threshold for SMU and Houston to leave the conference without paying an exit fee. I don't think they will- but they're so pissed off, they might do something irrational.

More than the C7 deal, I'm interested to see what the next steps are for an SEC/ACC Network. Sounds like Big East content could be included in either to provide more content/distribution. That would be...interesting.

Oh, did we mention bowl tie-ins? Put it this way, if you think the TV money sucks, wait until you see Birmingham, Memphis and Albuquerque fight for the right to host the Big East #1/2 slot.

Reaction Score
Don't worry. This phase where you think you know everything won't last forever.

The contract includes televising a conference title game. So expect them to, stupidly, go after a twelfth team.

That would drop the payout to $1.8 million per team. Add in the CBS money, that's between $165,000-250,000 more a year. Bottom line- its less money than UConn makes now from TV. By about a third. This isn't "what UConn is used to, so it isn't a big adjustment". It's less. Don't sugar coat it- this is a massive, massive problem, Nelson drama/idiocy notwithstanding.

What else it is, is way less than the threshold for SMU and Houston to leave the conference without paying an exit fee. I don't think they will- but they're so pissed off, they might do something irrational.

More than the C7 deal, I'm interested to see what the next steps are for an SEC/ACC Network. Sounds like Big East content could be included in either to provide more content/distribution. That would be...interesting.

Oh, did we mention bowl tie-ins? Put it this way, if you think the TV money sucks, wait until you see Birmingham, Memphis and Albuquerque fight for the right to host the Big East #1/2 slot.

zls44

Reaction Score
I'm glad you started a new thread about the contract because none of this was even mentioned in the other thread.

Good job. Your view definetly deserved it's own thread.

I didn't think people could talk about the next stuff in that thread without it devolving into bitching about the contract for all time.

Contracts done. Is what it is. Move on.

If you can point me to the post in there discussing the ACC/SEC Network, the bowl tie ins, the ramifications for exit fees, please point me in its direction.

zls44

Reaction Score
Don't worry. This phase where you think you know everything won't last forever.

On one hand, we have my thought that ESPN might not match.

On the other hand, we have the mountain of accurate statements I have made.

I am staring at you from the second mountain. The first one is a hill. You should join me up here.

Reaction Score
Well, maybe it won't pass that quickly for you.

I am staring at you from the second mountain. The first one is a hill. You should join me up here.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
We all knew this. Even if UL and RU were on board the bowl situation was going downhill when the BCS went away. There is a decent amount of income coming from exit fees and abandoned NCAA credits. That money should make up for the loss of TV revenue for several years. The bigger issue will be the income gap between us and the haves. If we're in the BE several years down the road after the funds dry up, well........there's not much sense in worrying about that right now. Three years ago, none of us would have correctly predicted today's current state conference realignment. It wasn't too long ago that we were getting ready for a beefier BE with TCU coming on board and a fancy new contract on the horizon.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I love the posters here who make such definite statements as "They are so pissed off". Do you know this firsthand? Do you have a link where it mentions this? If so, please prove me wrong. Otherwise, I'll just chalk you up to one of the many posters here who like to make the doom and gloom worse than it really is by making claims that sound more like facts than they really are.

Does this contract stink? Sure. Are SMU and Houston ticked off? Possibly. But do you think Cincy and UConn are just sitting around smiling over this?

I am getting tired of all of this yet this board is like a car accident. You just can't pull yourself away from slowing down to look. UConn is where it's going to be for now. How long? That's anyone's guess but it's very likely it won't be for too long. Worst case scenario we end up in the ACC which will at least net us a better TV deal. However, I'm sure that will just bring a new wave of Nelson/ZLS posts about how our program is ging down the crapper because we're only making $17-20 million and that's just not enough.

It's time for all of us to just deal with the reality of where we are for now and support the heck out of this program in any way we can. If you can't go to games do whatever you can do and keep watching on tv. I don't support the notion that we all need to attend games to be true fans or even throw money at the program to be true fans. Some people can't afford that and it makes you no less of a fan than the guy who donates thousands or goes to every game. Just STFU for once and leave the doom and gloom at the door. As you said ZLS, the contract is done and we need to look forward. If that means less money for a bit and travel to New Mexico or Memphis, so be it. I'll be watching either in person or on tv. I hope many of you can say the same.

Reaction Score
I love it when people post on message boards that other people should STFU.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well I'm so pissed that might do something irrational, or maybe just decide to start a letter writing, phone campaign on the need for a review of ESPN's role in college realignment. This contract certainly seems as if ESPN manipulated the market. Everytime I read ZLS making a victory lap post, it motivates me.

Reaction Score
I love the posters here who make such definite statements as "They are so pissed off". Do you know this firsthand? Do you have a link where it mentions this? If so, please prove me wrong. Otherwise, I'll just chalk you up to one of the many posters here who like to make the doom and gloom worse than it really is by making claims that sound more like facts than they really are.

Does this contract stink? Sure. Are SMU and Houston ticked off? Possibly. But do you think Cincy and UConn are just sitting around smiling over this?

I am getting tired of all of this yet this board is like a car accident. You just can't pull yourself away from slowing down to look. UConn is where it's going to be for now. How long? That's anyone's guess but it's very likely it won't be for too long. Worst case scenario we end up in the ACC which will at least net us a better TV deal. However, I'm sure that will just bring a new wave of Nelson/ZLS posts about how our program is ging down the crapper because we're only making $17-20 million and that's just not enough.

It's time for all of us to just deal with the reality of where we are for now and support the heck out of this program in any way we can. If you can't go to games do whatever you can do and keep watching on tv. I don't support the notion that we all need to attend games to be true fans or even throw money at the program to be true fans. Some people can't afford that and it makes you no less of a fan than the guy who donates thousands or goes to every game. Just STFU for once and leave the doom and gloom at the door. As you said ZLS, the contract is done and we need to look forward. If that means less money for a bit and travel to New Mexico or Memphis, so be it. I'll be watching either in person or on tv. I hope many of you can say the same.

There were over 5000 unsold tickets last night for the last game at the Civic Center against a competitive ball club in a year where we are still clinging to the edges of the Big East race. That, my friends, is a far bigger issue for this program going forward than the money that a conference we want to leave isn't getting from networks.

Reaction Score
There probably will be yellow jacket or cavalier racing in the new ACC network.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You must be building this mountain from the rocks in your head. The statements of yours that I remember involve a claim that ESPN was not behind the destruction of the Big East, and your gloating about how the BE made a huge mistake in not taking the original ESPN deal. You are provably wrong on the first point, and with the exception of UConn, Cincinnati, and USF, and ESPN, all the parties involves ended up better off by not taking the lowball.

So actually, you have not been right all that often.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
every time espn has given the BE a deal and we refused, espn has plucked BE teams to the acc. so what do we(uconn) do? we make sure the league takes the deal....

pj

Reaction Score
every time espn has given the BE a deal and we refused, espn has plucked BE teams to the acc. so what do we(uconn) do? we make sure the league takes the deal....

If the exit fee from the NBE is small, then signing the contract is not a big deal.

At this income level, UConn has to become independent as soon as we've received all the exit fees from schools leaving the Big East. Form scheduling alliances with major leagues, sell our games to SNY and CPTV and NESN. Even if the money is no better, we get to keep all our NCAA tourney/bowl revenue and we can arrange a better level of competition, maybe sell a few games to national networks as the ESPN/Fox/NBC/CBS competition heats up, and we won't have to pay exit fees to a conference when we get an invite to a new one. UConn will have to do a lot more work marketing its athletics, but that's needed anyway, and it's an opportunity to prove that the school can capture an audience in CT/NE/NY.

If we can arrange 2 football games and 4 bball games a year with the B1G, ACC, B12, and Pac or SEC, that's the equivalent of an 8 game conference schedule against quality competition.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
At this income level, UConn has to become independent as soon as we've received all the exit fees from schools leaving the Big East. Form scheduling alliances with major leagues, sell our games to SNY and CPTV and NESN. Even if the money is no better, we get to keep all our NCAA tourney/bowl revenue and we can arrange a better level of competition, maybe sell a few games to national networks as the ESPN/Fox/NBC/CBS competition heats up, and we won't have to pay exit fees to a conference when we get an invite to a new one. UConn will have to do a lot more work marketing its athletics, but that's needed anyway, and it's an opportunity to prove that the school can capture an audience in CT/NE/NY.

If we can arrange 2 football games and 4 bball games a year with the B1G, ACC, B12, and Pac or SEC, that's the equivalent of an 8 game conference schedule against quality competition.

What planet do you live on?

With your plan, we'll definitely get to keep our NCAA tournament and bowl revenue - there won't be any. With the big conferences heading towards more conference games and fewer OOC games, our schedule will be heavy with road games at place that start with Eastern and Western and Central.

The olympic sports will be dead one day one. Baseball on day two. I imagine the soccer programs will soon follow.

Men's basketball will die inside of three years - good luck telling recruits that our idea of television exposure is SNY-Connecticut. Football will wash up right after that and perhaps Geno will keep his program going for a while longer.

But we'll still have hockey going into Hockey East.

So, under your plan, we'll quickly become Quinnipiac.

Reaction Score

Very interesting Dan. Sometimes HFD is smarter than he gets credit for. Not saying HFD is right here, but he certainly makes an interesting point.

Reaction Score
There were over 5000 unsold tickets last night for the last game at the Civic Center against a competitive ball club in a year where we are still clinging to the edges of the Big East race. That, my friends, is a far bigger issue for this program going forward than the money that a conference we want to leave isn't getting from networks.

BL has a major point here. His comment helped crystalize a bad feeling I had watching the last three MBB games at the XL on the tube. The crowd appeared to be late in arriving, leaving early, not into the game unless the team brought them into it with a run. It did not compare favorably with the game that followed in terms of the buzz that came across on the tube. Last night was the exception it looked ok compared with Duke/VT but that was a visiting team blow out early on. My point is for people like me who just see our teams on TV, the impression is that our biggest sport as an athletic department is faltering.

Reaction Score
BL has a major point here. His comment helped crystalize a bad feeling I had watching the last three MBB games at the XL on the tube. The crowd appeared to be late in arriving, leaving early, not into the game unless the team brought them into it with a run. It did not compare favorably with the game that followed in terms of the buzz that came across on the tube. Last night was the exception it looked ok compared with Duke/VT but that was a visiting team blow out early on. My point is for people like me who just see our teams on TV, the impression is that our biggest sport as an athletic department is faltering.
I don't think you can draw any fair conclusions regarding attendance this year for the men. The BE title is somewhat hollow without going to the post-season.
The casual fan knows:
- calhoun is gone
- this team wasn't projected to be very good
- the BE is breaking up
- this team is on probation

that's a lot of negatives to cover.

Reaction Score

We want to win big. This team isn't allowed to win big. Call me when we have a good, tourney eligible team and no crowd shows up.

Reaction Score
More would have been sold if BOTH UConn & Cincy were playing for a seeding in the Big East Tourney. With the post season ban you had to figure sooner or later it was going to show in the attendance. I think it's just the reality of the situation along with all the bad vibes about the new TV contract, conference realignment snubs, the crappy economy & the women's basketball one step backward are all coming home to roost at the same time. With no ban I'm sure things will be much better next year.

I know everyone is unhappy with the situation at hand but keep in mind it's only temporary and the powers that be are working to make things better. The university is improving academically, the basketball practice facilities are going to be built, the economy is slowly but surely recovering, we have a brand new kick men's basketball coach that everyone can rally around and the football league isn't going to be as awful as everyone is making it out to be. So hey I'm still seeing the cup half full, wish it was 3/4 full but I'll take what I can get and enjoy it. Come on Coach P...... beat Michigan and Maryland and clean up on the Big East so the Boneyarders can turn their frowns upside down.

:) Yay! Rah! Rah! UCONN! UCONN! UCONN! YAAAAAAAAAYYY!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom