Next season question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next season question

Reaction Score
Need at least one, another Bam Bam please!
Bam Bam was great --but I'd take 2 of young Shea's.
Who is the leader? Does it all fall to CD?
Danger, initially, will be the leader. CW, whom I believe is a real leader, may still defer to Danger and Megan, I hope not. Deference this past season hurt Uconn. Everyone needs to see the opening and opportunities to score and DO IT. I think Aubrey, CW, Megan can attack and score in flowing games.

Reaction Score
The beauty of the Geno offense is for each player to assess the defense and take advantage of what they give you. Geno, historically, rarely depended on "SET PLAYS". That ability to view the floor and make judgements takes special playesr like Danger, CW, Megan believe it they are special.

Reaction Score
In ONO, UConn will have a very good starting center, which has not been the case for several years; and, all the teams that they will likely face in the NCAAA's next year will have lost their dominant centers.

I think Bartouly will be an effective power forward. I don't think that she would have decided to stay with the team if she did not believe that is in the cards. And the UConn coaching staff, in stating that they wanted her back, concur.

Lou said that Christyn will be unstoppable next year, Both she and Walker have demonstrated how dominant they can be in some games. This year, they naturally player second fiddle . Next year they will have to be the big-scoring pair. They both have the talent for continuing improvement- a lot of improvement.

Danger will be an even better version of herself.

All of them are going to work like crazy in the off-season. Think how much Walker and Danger improved themselves last summer.

I think we will also see a much improved and more confident Coombs . She also has the athletic ability for growth.

Molly and Kyle were not blessed with the same God-given athleticism. But, they are both very smart players . They both got better, and, hopefully, with more playing time, and confidence, will settle into roles where that can provide minutes against most teams to allow the starters to rest. They already demonstrated that, at times, this past season,

Aubrey, at least by the end of the season, will be a very valuable player.

This team could still use more height (and prayers that Geno will pull a rabbit out of the hat)- But it is a team with no inherent weaknesses. It has height, scoring from multiple positions, some bench, and a fantastic point guard.

Most of the other op teams lost both their dominant centers and point guards.

Finally, UConn has been relieved of the burden of expectations that they go undefeated during the season and win the Championship.

I am really looking forward to next year.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Sidney Cooks come in and get one of those miracle waivers

If Cooks does end up at UConn and gets a waiver, she would have a chance to earn a starting role for sure. Her shooting and rebounding would be just want UConn needs at the four spot, it would also be nice to see UConn go 6’4 and 6’4 inside, I’m still not super confident in Walker doing a lot of ball handling as a small forward, but she sill has the summer to tighten that up.

Reaction Score
In ONO, UConn will have a very good starting center, which has not been the case for several years; and, all the teams that they will likely face in the NCAAA's next year will have lost their dominant centers.

I think Bartouly will be an effective power forward. I don't think that she would have decided to stay with the team if she did not believe that is in the cards. And the UConn coaching staff, in stating that they wanted her back, concur.

Lou said that Christyn will be unstoppable next year, Both she and Walker have demonstrated how dominant they can be in some games. This year, they naturally player second fiddle . Next year they will have to be the big-scoring pair. They both have the talent for continuing improvement- a lot of improvement.

Danger will be an even better version of herself.

All of them are going to work like crazy in the off-season. Think how much Walker and Danger improved themselves last summer.

I think we will also see a much improved and more confident Coombs . She also has the athletic ability for growth.

Molly and Kyle were not blessed with the same God-given athleticism. But, they are both very smart players . They both got better, and, hopefully, with more playing time, and confidence, will settle into roles where that can provide minutes against most teams to allow the starters to rest. They already demonstrated that, at times, this past season,

Aubrey, at least by the end of the season, will be a very valuable player.

This team could still use more height (and prayers that Geno will pull a rabbit out of the hat)- But it is a team with no inherent weaknesses. It has height, scoring from multiple positions, some bench, and a fantastic point guard.

Most of the other op teams lost both their dominant centers and point guards.

Finally, UConn has been relieved of the burden of expectations that they go undefeated during the season and win the Championship.

I am really looking forward to next year.

I agree with all but 2 items: If Molly and Irwin have not shown they can play at Div 1 by now it is difficult to believe they will as non playing Seniors.
The burden of Expectations on a Geno team, no matter how bad the off year, is always FF. The expectations remain with this team it is the burden all Uconn teams have. The only difference is : Some meet expectations some don't.

Reaction Score
I agree with all but 2 items: If Molly and Irwin have not shown they can play at Div 1 by now it is difficult to believe they will as non playing Seniors.
The burden of Expectations on a Geno team, no matter how bad the off year, is always FF. The expectations remain with this team it is the burden all Uconn teams have. The only difference is : Some meet expectations some don't.
Kyla started and played commendably last season (for Megan). She is a D1 player, maybe not good enough for many here... but I think our expectations are unrealistic at times.

Reaction Score
Kyla started and played commendably last season (for Megan). She is a D1 player, maybe not good enough for many here... but I think our expectations are unrealistic at times.
No realism is as Geno see's it; if she were as you expect Geno would have played her in in Div 1 games, he didn't. If a player by her Jr year isn't at least a good sub why do you expect her to improve to starter as a Senior? Not too realistic!

Reaction Score
And If I had four wheels I would be a bus. The speculation is fun, I guess, but frustrating. We are what we are. And now we are down another player with the Coombs transfer. If all of these " what if "speculations remain empty air, the team will have 8 players next year, assuming no injuries. Maybe that is the only kind of challenge Geno, CD et al can enjoy these days. An under"manned" team with meaningless depth, striving for a national championship. Basically, no chance at success. The overlooked underdog.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No realism is as Geno see's it; if she were as you expect Geno would have played her in in Div 1 games, he didn't. If a player by her Jr year isn't at least a good sub why do you expect her to improve to starter as a Senior? Not too realistic!
Except he actually did. In fact she started 2 games.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If a player by her Jr year isn't at least a good sub why do you expect her to improve to starter as a Senior? Not too realistic!

I have two words for you: Saniya Chong.
@Bellemare description DOES NOT APPLY to Saniya. Saniya was a contributor almost from day one. Remember the Stanford game where KML hurt her elbow it was Freshmen Saniya that sparked a sluggish & tramutized UCONN team. There was also an absurd thread here on the BY predicting that Freshman Saniya would soon surpass Moriah Jefferson as the starting PG. Saniya was also a starter at the beginning of her Sophomore campaign.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
@Bellemare description DOES NOT APPLY to Saniya. Saniya was a contributor almost from day one. Remember the Stanford game where KML hurt her elbow it was Freshmen Saniya that sparked a sluggish & tramutized UCONN team. There was also an absurd thread here on the BY predicting that Freshman Saniya would soon surpass Moriah Jefferson as the starting PG. Saniya was also a starter at the beginning of her Sophomore campaign.

Agree with your overall point on Saniya but I recall the Stanford game a little differently. Saniya entered the game early in the first half after Stanford refused to guard Jefferson on the perimeter (her defender Mikaela Ruef never left the paint) and Mo was unable to knock down open shots. Saniya entered the game and proceeded to hit 2 quick 3s, her only baskets in the game. That happened well before the injury to KML which occurred early in the 2nd half.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Contributor is a broad term. Against Stanford as a sophomore, Saniya had 20 pts and was promptly benched by Geno for the next game in favor of Kia due to a Saniya’s defensive lapses. From then on through her junior year it was hit and miss with Saniya. Come NCAA tournament time, Saniya only saw the court during mop up time.

During her Jr year, with UConn up big in the 2nd half of the championship game vs Syracuse, Geno put Saniya in during the 3rd qtr whereupon she promptly turned the ball over several times and was quickly subbed out until mop up time at the end of the game.

I remember discussions here on the BY, before they were halted by the administration, and elsewhere speculating that with Crystal coming in as a freshman, Saniya would transfer to seek PT elsewhere. Saniya surprised many by returning for her senior season, earning the starting spot, playing very solid basketball, getting drafted and making a WNBA team. But at the end of her Jr year very few BY’ers felt that Saniya would be starting as a senior.

Reaction Score
I have two words for you: Saniya Chong.
Saniya wasn't a total bench sitter. Then you have to only look to Geno for the source of that comment. He has used it, if not often, multiple times over they years.

Reaction Score
Contributor is a broad term. Against Stanford as a sophomore, Saniya had 20 pts and was promptly benched by Geno for the next game in favor of Kia due to a Saniya’s defensive lapses. From then on through her junior year it was hit and miss with Saniya. Come NCAA tournament time, Saniya only saw the court during mop up time.

During her Jr year, with UConn up big in the 2nd half of the championship game vs Syracuse, Geno put Saniya in during the 3rd qtr whereupon she promptly turned the ball over several times and was quickly subbed out until mop up time at the end of the game.

I remember discussions here on the BY, before they were halted by the administration, and elsewhere speculating that with Crystal coming in as a freshman, Saniya would transfer to seek PT elsewhere. Saniya surprised many by returning for her senior season, earning the starting spot, playing very solid basketball, getting drafted and making a WNBA team. But at the end of her Jr year very few BY’ers felt that Saniya would be starting as a senior.

All of what you write is accurate. The discussion, was about "getting it" Saniya, got it. She had lapses, that's certain. But some players never get it. By Geno's own plan, and by his words in the past, he give Freshmen the most attention, Soph's less, Juniors much less because by then they "get it" or they don't. If they don't have it as Seniors--I don't think he discussed that.
My opinion: Saniya was a good player, not overly athletic and not a top 10 player, but good with mostly good instincts. She was not a Moriah, Danger or Sue. She was one darn good Saniya. Since we never did a poll of whether Saniya would be starting as a Senior--I'm not sure how the BY felt about that. But I do recall a few postings about how well she played in games here or there.
But Obviously the discussion isn't or wasn't about Saniya--she simply hijacked this discussion. I still like her. She helped got 2 terrific players to join the UC W team, that's a plus. One played big minutes this year for Ms St.

Reaction Score
We shall see. If you are correct she'll be starting because Uconn WBB needs a second tough, athletic, dominant post.

Reaction Score
And If I had four wheels I would be a bus. The speculation is fun, I guess, but frustrating. We are what we are. And now we are down another player with the Coombs transfer. If all of these " what if "speculations remain empty air, the team will have 8 players next year, assuming no injuries. Maybe that is the only kind of challenge Geno, CD et al can enjoy these days. An under"manned" team with meaningless depth, striving for a national championship. Basically, no chance at success. The overlooked underdog.
@Longtime fan. The transfer of Coombs throws my hopes for next year in the drinking well. Yet I expect ONO to be a long leap from this year, same with CW and Megan. Add Danger, with my fingers crossed Griffin, the add a healthy (I hear) Touly, with Bent and Irwin for microscopic PT a Geno team like this COULD go far. NC probably not, maybe not the FF but Elite 8 is do-able. There are high levels of talent in the first 5 or 6. This year PROVED how far 5 top playes could go, I'll take that every year (if given).

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Saniya played well early in her first season against Penn State. She also started at least one game when Kaleena was sick. She was a good, not great, collegiate player, who in her senior year was the perfect complement to the Core Four.

Reaction Score
Saniya played well early in her first season against Penn State. She also started at least one game when Kaleena was sick. She was a good, not great, collegiate player, who in her senior year was the perfect complement to the Core Four.
Gus I like your reply. You are right of course, you usually are but the highlighted portion is a bit of hyperbole. She was good, filled a need Geno had as a Senior that is true. Thanks Gus.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Gus I like your reply. You are right of course, you usually are but the highlighted portion is a bit of hyperbole. She was good, filled a need Geno had as a Senior that is true. Thanks Gus.
My pleasure, I think. :cool:

Reaction Score
I would like to see Sidney Cooks come in and get one of those miracle waivers
She’s visiting Mississippi State this weekend with 2 other players including 6’6 JUCO player. Cooks will end up at Mississippi State. All the bigs end up everywhere but UCONN. I will finally shut my mouth up for good when UCONN finally lands a big or 2.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom