Next season question | The Boneyard

Next season question

Reaction Score
As excited with our newest members of the UCONN family for 2020 my question is I hope we sign some immediate players for the off season. Our roster is currently at only 9 players. That’s not going to get it done. I feel 2020 will be one of Geno’s biggest recruiting classes.. I can see him
Signing 5-6 players. Next year we will be losing 3 seniors in camara, bent and Irwin. The lack of depth the past 3 seasons has hurt the huskies so I’m hoping we sign a few more players this summer, grad transfers, JUCO or International. Transfers won’t work because they will have to sit out a season. What do u all think?? And I’m so proud of this years season and will miss Pheese and Lou!! They will have amazing WNBA careers!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As excited with our newest members of the UCONN family for 2020 my question is I hope we sign some immediate players for the off season. Our roster is currently at only 9 players. That’s not going to get it done. I feel 2020 will be one of Geno’s biggest recruiting classes.. I can see him
Signing 5-6 players. Next year we will be losing 3 seniors in camara, bent and Irwin. The lack of depth the past 3 seasons has hurt the huskies so I’m hoping we sign a few more players this summer, grad transfers, JUCO or International. Transfers won’t work because they will have to sit out a season. What do u all think?? And I’m so proud of this years season and will miss Pheese and Lou!! They will have amazing WNBA careers!!!
You omitted a rather important senior who will graduate next year......

Reaction Score
You omitted a rather important senior who will graduate next year.
I had to look in my Crystal ball to answer that one!!
I think @oldude with your vast knowledge of this team and seeing the potential of next year you will (may) agree that the 9 players available next year will put Uconn in a similar hole to this year. Unless or until Geno can duplicate his win with Nika only this time with one or 2 or 3 over 6'3, 6'5 (I'm greedy). I won't gloom and doom just yet for when I look at the two unexpecteds I'm momentarily happy.

Reaction Score
Oh my god Crystal!!! I’m so sorry!!!! I guess I’m still a little off from the final four loss!!!! Crystal will
Be the biggest loss!!

Reaction Score
Oh my god Crystal!!! I’m so sorry!!!! I guess I’m still a little off from the final four loss!!!! Crystal will
Be the biggest loss!!
Yes and no, that remains to be seen. Uconn has 2 pretty fair, learners, on the current team: Coombs and CW. Add Nika that may help. I'm not disrespecting Crystal, she is a guard in the mold of other near greats. Yet, the real need in Nov 19 will be height in the forward and center positions to go along with ONO

Reaction Score
Yes and no, that remains to be seen. Uconn has 2 pretty fair, learners, on the current team: Coombs and CW. Add Nika that may help. I'm not disrespecting Crystal, she is a guard in the mold of other near greats. Yet, the real need in Nov 19 will be height in the forward and center positions to go along with ONO
Nika won’t be here for next season. She’s is coming in with Paige for the class of 2020

Reaction Score
You omitted a rather important senior who will graduate next year.
At the moment, our projected starting line-up next season is ;

1. Olivia - has to come back stronger and exponentially better. Needs to drain 10-12 foot shots like candy, rebound, pass well, block shots and not miss lay-ups. What are the chances of this level of improvement?

2. Williams - needs to morph into best all around guard in the country. Possible, but a lot to ask.

3. Walker - coming on strong. Needs to step up to another level. Highly possible.

4. Dangerfield - hard to imagine her getting better.

5. Freshman from Ossining - looks like a really nice athlete. But she is a freshman. Williams and Walker were both HS players of the year, and they struggled. What can we expect here?

6. Bench - Molly, Kyla and Batouly are not likely to change. They are out of their league against top Division I schools. Nothing will happen " over-night" to make them more impactful. Great kids for practices and team cohesion. The only possible contributor is Mykala Coombs. But she showed little prospect of adding to the offense. The question is; can she help the team with defense and ball handling/distribution, without hurting the team with mindless turnovers? At the moment, opposing teams don't really need to guard her except on the drive or fast break.

In conclusion, this will be a representative team who can battle anyone. But it is likely not as good a team as we had this season, unless Geno and staff can add some size and magic from abroad ( or graduate transfer, etc .

It just has to be done if we are going to compete for a championship.

Reaction Score
Without a strong center and a power forward next season will disappointing . The recruiting program is puzzling in that they can’t seem to get rebounders. The weakness of the last three seasons has been defense and rebounding. Finesse and three point shooting will only carry you so far.

Reaction Score
Without a strong center and a power forward next season will disappointing . The recruiting program is puzzling in that they can’t seem to get rebounders. The weakness of the last three seasons has been defense and rebounding. Finesse and three point shooting will only carry you so far.

it's apparently pretty difficult for Geno and company to find big, physical forwards that also have the passing/offensive skills that they feel are needed to succeed in the UConn offense

Reaction Score
I don't think she has any reason to feel " unwanted." But Molly and Kyla could also transfer and play right away. They simply don't want to attend Tulsa or East Carolina. Tulane , maybe (Great school and in New Orleans!). I believe they feel a loyalty to UCONN and the coaches. Otherwise, if they really want to play college basketball, it makes no sense. Because they will only play " garbage time" at UCONN.
Not wanted? Every game I go to or watch, Batouly gets some of the loudest cheers. Troll?

Reaction Score
At the moment, our projected starting line-up next season is ;

1. Olivia - has to come back stronger and exponentially better. Needs to drain 10-12 foot shots like candy, rebound, pass well, block shots and not miss lay-ups. What are the chances of this level of improvement?

2. Williams - needs to morph into best all around guard in the country. Possible, but a lot to ask.

3. Walker - coming on strong. Needs to step up to another level. Highly possible.

4. Dangerfield - hard to imagine her getting better.

5. Freshman from Ossining - looks like a really nice athlete. But she is a freshman. Williams and Walker were both HS players of the year, and they struggled. What can we expect here?

6. Bench - Molly, Kyla and Batouly are not likely to change. They are out of their league against top Division I schools. Nothing will happen " over-night" to make them more impactful. Great kids for practices and team cohesion. The only possible contributor is Mykala Coombs. But she showed little prospect of adding to the offense. The question is; can she help the team with defense and ball handling/distribution, without hurting the team with mindless turnovers? At the moment, opposing teams don't really need to guard her except on the drive or fast break.

In conclusion, this will be a representative team who can battle anyone. But it is likely not as good a team as we had this season, unless Geno and staff can add some size and magic from abroad ( or graduate transfer, etc .

It just has to be done if we are going to compete for a championship.

Batouly is not out of her league. She's been injured.

Reaction Score
Yup only to the National Semifinals, where only 4 teams out of 300+ teams get to. Pretty shabby :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Yup only to the National Semifinals, where only 4 teams out of 300+ teams get to. Pretty shabby :rolleyes:
I guess you missed the point which is what needs to be done to be national champs. This team went further than expected but the teams with the rebounding played for the championship.

Reaction Score
I guess you missed the point which is what needs to be done to be national champs. This team went further than expected but the teams with the rebounding played for the championship.
Thanks for pointing that out to me...I had no idea. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom